Willis McGahee = Eric Moulds?

This from a group of 3000 guys who drool over Internet pictures of semi-clad celebrities. I can imagine all of us would be kind, considerate, celibate, humble, law-abiding, clean boy scouts if we were 24, had a few million in the bank, were star pro football players with women crawling all over you and saying anything just to get in your pants for your wallet.

Willis may not be an academic All-american but his openness is actually refreshing.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This from a group of 3000 guys who drool over Internet pictures of semi-clad celebrities. I can imagine all of us would be kind, considerate, celibate, humble, law-abiding, clean boy scouts if we were 24, had a few million in the bank, were star pro football players with women crawling all over you and saying anything just to get in your pants for your wallet.

Willis may not be an academic All-american but his openness is actually refreshing.

690118[/snapback]

oh, don't be so self-righteous about it. he's obviously no candidate for the quiz bowl -- which all of us here can obviously live with cuz we're football fans -- but it's a really funny story, i think. just ride with it.

I thought the Bills only had character players. WTF McGahee? You sound like a immature !@#$ that needs a good ass kicking.

688568[/snapback]

Are you going to do it tough guy? Get over it, have you ever heard Edgerrin James speak when he first came into the league? He couldnt put two words together that make sense. And you probably couldnt kick your own ass, much less Willis'.

oh, don't be so self-righteous about it. he's obviously no candidate for the quiz bowl -- which all of us here can obviously live with cuz we're football fans -- but it's a really funny story, i think. just ride with it.

690134[/snapback]

Just ride with it? I believe you were the one who, after reading that article, proclaimed Willis to be the least articulate Bill of all-time. I have thought, and said before, that I find Willis very refreshing in his uncensored dealings with the press. Yes, he may come across as no model citizen, but it's a lot more honest, and a lot more true than 99% of the other guys who do stuff like that and then act or talk like they are such pillars of the community. To my knowledge, Willis has no Rae Carruth in him, and it's a total injustice to bring that up. He's not a bad guy, or he doesn't appear to be to me. I'm sure his baby mamas had a little something to do with them getting pregnant.

Just ride with it? I believe you were the one who, after reading that article, proclaimed Willis to be the least articulate Bill of all-time. I have thought, and said before, that I find Willis very refreshing in his uncensored dealings with the press. Yes, he may come across as no model citizen, but it's a lot more honest, and a lot more true than 99% of the other guys who do stuff like that and then act or talk like they are such pillars of the community. To my knowledge, Willis has no Rae Carruth in him, and it's a total injustice to bring that up. He's not a bad guy, or he doesn't appear to be to me. I'm sure his baby mamas had a little something to do with them getting pregnant.

690169[/snapback]

??? ever heard of a joke? and by the way, i never said he was a bad guy in this whole discussion.

that said, he *is* the least articulate bill i've ever come across when it comes to his published comments, and he's going up against some stiff competition. i've been following the bills closely for nearly my whole life, so i think i know of what i speak. but that's hardly a crime, and as i've said elsewhere, he's a pretty good back who'd start for most teams. anyway, i stand by what i said about it being a funny story, and as for willis, he's a grownup and can take it. if he can't take the heat, he should get the hell out of nagasaki (i.e., constant engagement with the mass media).

there are some pretty funny comments from readers on the piece:

That's why I read Deadspin. Some of the regulars there are as good as any stand-up comedian I've ever seen... :D

Imo, this issue is clearly more of a societal problem than one with Willis specifically.

Willis is a young, strong, gifted athlete who is making a ton of money. The "baby momma" is probably a hot looking young lady who has access to the court system of the state in which she resides. In New York, this young lady is entitled to 24% of his gross income (assuming that the same woman is the mother of both of his kids). Willis cannot even claim the children as tax exemptions unless an aggreement is reached. She can also petition the court for an increase every year.

In New York, there is no provision for college tuition. If no agreement is reached, responsibility will be decided by the judge. If she wishes to work, Willis will be responsible for childcare expenses, as well as a portion of the home repair expenses of her primary residence.

Rather than continue on, let me state that we cannot force Willis to be a responsible parent. Do we know if he will ever be one? Of course we do not.

What we DO know is that the court system will force him to at least pay up. If the mother of these children wants to care for these babies, she will have access to untold millions of dollars.

None of us (I assume) know how Willis was brought up, nor what he considers to be the norm. He was not charged with rape, so I am thinking that all was consentual. If either of the parents loves these babies, the means are there for them to have good, productive lives.

If the love is lacking I fell sorry for the kids, but I feel this way about all children and fail to see this an an issue for the Buffalo Bills Football Team nor their fans.

Jmo.

The "baby momma" is probably a hot looking young lady who has access to the court system of the state in which she resides. In New York, this young lady is entitled to 24% of his gross income (assuming that the same woman is the mother of both of his kids). Willis cannot even claim the children as tax exemptions unless an aggreement is reached. She can also petition the court for an increase every year.

690621[/snapback]

Bill: see above - there's more than one 'baby mamma,' which complicates things ...

I don't see why everyone cares so much about what he does in his personal life...I'm only concerned with the Willis McGahee that plays on the football field. Off the field I could really care less, and neither should anyone else.

People act like posting back to back 1,100 and 1,200 yard seasons are not good enough...when the team has sucked the whole time. He's done his part and will continue to do so, now it's time for the rest of the team to step up.

Taking The Power Drive With Willis Mcgahee

MIAMI -- I didn't expect Willis McGahee to be such a simple guy.

I expected the former Miami tailback to live in some obscene, 10,000-square foot home. Instead, he had three pieces of furniture in the living room of his condominium at the Ritz-Carlton in Coconut Grove.

Four, if you count his Xbox.

But McGahee was still a perfect first victim for the Sentinel's "Riding With" series because he is living the life most of us wished we had at 24.

He's the starting running back for the Buffalo Bills. He lives in a condo with a fabulous view of Miami. He's rich. And, he's got three cars -- a Porsche Cayenne, a BMW 645 and an Infiniti QX56 SUV.

- Q: What kind of person were you in high school?

A: Woo, I did everything you could imagine. Skipped school. I played around a lot.

Q: Were you a ladies man in high school?

A: Naw, I was actually faithful.

Q: You almost say that like you can't believe you were faithful.

A: I can believe I was. I can't believe how I am now.

Q: Do you think you'll always live in Miami?

A: I think I'll always come back to Miami. I don't know about live in it. I need to get out of it because I'm bad.

Q: Would you describe yourself that way?

A: No, I've calmed down a whole lot.

Q: Was there anything that made you calm down?

A: My kids. I got two kids.

Q: How old are they?

A: One of them is 15 months and the other is five months.

Q: So far, what's the most difficult thing about fatherhood?

A: Nothing right now. Not for me. Just dealing with the mother. That's the difficult part. After that, everything is cool.

Q: What's more troublesome, an ex-wife or a baby momma?

A: A baby momma.

Q: Why?

A: Because they feel like they should be a part of your life for 18 years. An ex-wife, you can get away from her. A baby momma, you can't get away from her until the child is 18 or older. They're going to constantly ask you for money. They just want to nag you for no reason, just because they can. (Willis has never been married.)

Q: Did you meet both of these women here in Miami?

A: (Laughs) Yeah.

Q: Is that why you say you need to get out of Miami?

A: I need to get out of Miami.

Q: Do you hang out? Are you a big partier?

A: I used to party every day of the week except Wednesday.

Q: Why Wednesday?

A: That was a rest day.

Q: What is a perfect night out for Willis McGahee?

A: Hanging with Bryant McKinnie (offensive lineman, Minnesota Vikings). He put the 'p' in party. I rolled with him one time and I thought it was going to be another night out. I get there and he's got Venus with him. He has a lot of celebrities with him. Slim Thug, too.

Taking The Power Drive With Willis Mcgahee

MIAMI -- I didn't expect Willis McGahee to be such a simple guy.

I expected the former Miami tailback to live in some obscene, 10,000-square foot home. Instead, he had three pieces of furniture in the living room of his condominium at the Ritz-Carlton in Coconut Grove.

Four, if you count his Xbox.

But McGahee was still a perfect first victim for the Sentinel's "Riding With" series because he is living the life most of us wished we had at 24.

He's the starting running back for the Buffalo Bills. He lives in a condo with a fabulous view of Miami. He's rich. And, he's got three cars -- a Porsche Cayenne, a BMW 645 and an Infiniti QX56 SUV.

- Q: What kind of person were you in high school?

A: Woo, I did everything you could imagine. Skipped school. I played around a lot.

Q: Were you a ladies man in high school?

A: Naw, I was actually faithful.

Q: You almost say that like you can't believe you were faithful.

A: I can believe I was. I can't believe how I am now.

Q: Do you think you'll always live in Miami?

A: I think I'll always come back to Miami. I don't know about live in it. I need to get out of it because I'm bad.

Q: Would you describe yourself that way?

A: No, I've calmed down a whole lot.

Q: Was there anything that made you calm down?

A: My kids. I got two kids.

Q: How old are they?

A: One of them is 15 months and the other is five months.

Q: So far, what's the most difficult thing about fatherhood?

A: Nothing right now. Not for me. Just dealing with the mother. That's the difficult part. After that, everything is cool.

Q: What's more troublesome, an ex-wife or a baby momma?

A: A baby momma.

Q: Why?

A: Because they feel like they should be a part of your life for 18 years. An ex-wife, you can get away from her. A baby momma, you can't get away from her until the child is 18 or older. They're going to constantly ask you for money. They just want to nag you for no reason, just because they can. (Willis has never been married.)

Q: Did you meet both of these women here in Miami?

A: (Laughs) Yeah.

Q: Is that why you say you need to get out of Miami?

A: I need to get out of Miami.

Q: Do you hang out? Are you a big partier?

A: I used to party every day of the week except Wednesday.

Q: Why Wednesday?

A: That was a rest day.

Q: What is a perfect night out for Willis McGahee?

A: Hanging with Bryant McKinnie (offensive lineman, Minnesota Vikings). He put the 'p' in party. I rolled with him one time and I thought it was going to be another night out. I get there and he's got Venus with him. He has a lot of celebrities with him. Slim Thug, too.

691048[/snapback]

Gosh, thanks... I haven't seen this yet (today). :ph34r:

You don't happen to know Willis' 40 time, do you? :doh:

Whachoo meen, tree fiddy?

691056[/snapback]

Note to self: Don't get pregnant by Willis McGahee.

Once this is accomplished, then the only other concern for me as a Bills fan will be if his stupidity as a father impacts his game on the field, otherwise I do not care.

If I was a Vikes rooter, or the Bills had taken the route of drafting an idiot tackle of drafting Bryant McKinnie instead of bust Mike Williams, I'd be concerned about this story because as stupid as WM sounds, McKinnie seems to be an even worse version of this behavior.

Again, this strikes me as a non-concern unless you let yourself get impregnated by WM/McKinnie or for some reason you invest in the soap opera of caring about these boys. However, the difference for me is if their stupid behavior impacts there play on the field, and party-leader McKinnie has shown a tendency to not only be an idiot but also to get caught by the law when he is an idiot (the charges against him on the Vikes party boat, his driving while intoxicated charge).

As best as I can tell the irony here is that the Bills appear to be ahead in the choose MW or choose McKinnie decsion not only because of field effects like the McKinnie hold out that essentially cost him a season, but the Bills are done with non worthy top 10 choice MW while McKinnie is still taking up space and breating air in the uniform of the team which drafted him.

McKinnie's play has improved since his holdout rookie year and with a vet QB who can get rid of the ball when necessary is quite a helpful thing for his game because he showed few signs of being able to maintain blocks long enough for a scrambler like Culppepper. However, this is yet another ingredient in what appears to be the recipe for disaster which came with high profile picks like MW and Harrington in that draft.