Third and long...

Is that nightmare finally maybe over? There's been a lot of gnashed teeth over the lack of O-line picks, but damn. How many times in the last couple years did the Bills easily give up 3rd and 5 or better (let alone 4th and whatever...).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this many fast guys in the secondary we should be able to cover every receiver the opponents have--even those on the bench.

Whitner

Nate

Youboty

King

Vincent

Bowen

Simpson

Kiwaukee Thomas

Greer

Wow.....

With this many fast guys in the secondary we should be able to cover every receiver the opponents have--even those on the bench. 

Whitner

Nate

Youboty

King

Vincent

Bowen

Simpson

Kiwaukee Thomas

Greer

Wow.....

686468[/snapback]

You certainly didn't MEAN to not put McGee on that list did you?

Reading a couple other JP this or that threads got me thinking. Just why were they losing so many games? In spite of how pathetic the offense was, they were still in quite a few games. Just as a trend, the D seemed pretty stout on 1st and second down - then went for a pretzel on third. Things overall might have looked a little different if the Bills didn't keep giving their opponents more chances. How many 3rd and longs got converted that most any other team would have stopped? And, would those extra possessions have given the even mediocre Bills offense a chance to pull a blind squirrel for a few more scores?

Also hoping these guys can all play press coverage. Lining up 12 yards off a receiver never helped either.

Whitner

Nate

Youboty

King

Vincent

Bowen

Simpson

Kiwaukee Thomas

Greer

Wow.....

686468[/snapback]

Fast guys don't matter if they give the WR a 10 yd cushion. 0:)

Reading a couple other JP this or that threads got me thinking. Just why were they losing so many games? In spite of how pathetic the offense was, they were still in quite a few games. Just as a trend, the D seemed pretty stout on 1st and second down - then went for a pretzel on third. Things overall might have looked a little different if the Bills didn't keep giving their opponents more chances. How many 3rd and longs got converted that most any other team would have stopped? And, would those extra possessions have given the even mediocre Bills offense a chance to pull a blind squirrel for a few more scores?

Also hoping these guys can all play press coverage. Lining up 12 yards off a receiver never helped either.

686495[/snapback]

I have noted before that Losman did relatively quite well when the defense did its job. He certainly went into the season with the impression that the D would "have his back," and when they didn't, he fell victim to the pressure of "ooh, well, I gotta win this game myself now!"

I thought this quote from our new DC was *very* telling:

After breaking down last year's game tapes, new defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said Buffalo was as easy to read as a highway billboard whenever Milloy came to the line.

"As I looked at it last year, Lawyer was always sitting in the box," Fewell said. "Looking at it, that's an eight-man front, maybe they're going to blitz. Now we're interchangeable (with Whitner and fourth-round pick Ko Simpson at free safety). They give us flexibility because both guys can cover. From a look-disguise standpoint, we've gotten better with those additions."

D&C article

Other OCs were probably laughing as they gameplanned against us...

I have noted before that Losman did relatively quite well when the defense did its job.  He certainly went into the season with the impression that the D would "have his back," and when they didn't, he fell victim to the pressure of "ooh, well, I gotta win this game myself now!"

686502[/snapback]

Maybe that is one of the reasons Losman looked so bad in some games. He was trying to hard to make plays to win the game cause the defence could not hold a lead or was too busy putting them into a deep hole. Its a possibility, give a young QB a good D that can hold the lead or not put the team in a huge hole, maybe the QB can win a couple more games cause they aren't trying to force plays and win the game all the time.

I would really like to see an analysis of our average third down distance on offense and defense last year. It definitely seemed like, on offense, we were always facing 3rd and 7 or more, while on defense it felt like it was usually 3rd and 5 or less.

Not that it mattered on defense, though, since it didn't really matter how long they had to go on third down.

I definitely think the key to a good offense, though, is creating manageable third down distances. Perhaps we will see a change in this direction this year.

totally on point here.

with grey (who IMO was never NFL ready) we never showed the ability to get teams off the field consistently.

there was a whole lot of scoring drives that we extended ourselves, particularly late in the game.

our best games on D came when our LBs and secondary outplayed their guys. now that we can put 4 pass rushers (assuming kelsey and denny can do it a bit) up front which is MUCH better than we have been able to do for a while, and our entire secondary can cover AND hit.

How many times in the last couple years did the Bills easily give up 3rd and 5 or better (let alone 4th and whatever...).

686448[/snapback]

You're trying to make me cry again aren't you? :angry:

Point taken...much will depend on the ability of the front 4 to rush the passer won't it? In the 'tampa 2' will Posey be the rushing LB? Spikes? Crowell? Will one of those 3 replace a DE on obvious passing downs?

Third and long will STILL be a problem due to the lack of pressure from the front four.

Just a hunch.

687031[/snapback]

Plus, doesn't Cover 2 often get referred to as "bend, don't break"? So can we look forward to our D typically giving up the 3rd-and-five but stop the big plays downfield (10+ yards) and then stiffen as they near field goal range.

No?

As if.

Is that nightmare finally maybe over? There's been a lot of gnashed teeth over the lack of O-line picks, but damn. How many times in the last couple years did the Bills easily give up 3rd and 5 or better (let alone 4th and whatever...).

686448[/snapback]

I think it will get better than it has been over the past few years. I thought an even bigger problem last year was when we had a third and short and couldn't pick up the first down. If these two problems are taken care off, we will be more competitive than last year.