Round 1 (#26) Selection: DT John McCargo

udonkey

they addressed some OL needs in FA and will probably do so later in the draft

this is how the nfl is supposed to work, isnt it?

676113[/snapback]

Any rookie OL guy would have a hard time providing quality help this year, but the odds really decline after round 3. So we're basically stuck with the line we had last year, upgraded by two servicable but largely uproven starters acquired via FA. Not much of an upgrade for JP to get better behind, IMO.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is something we do not know.

The only people who are laughing at the picks are media heads who are guessing as to where players are slotted.

The actual teams who are selecting the players don't advertise their real intentions.

Both of these players fit the system and will out perform where the "experts' projected them to be drafted.

675692[/snapback]

The sad thing is that ESPN cannot stop laughing at the Bills and every time they talk about the 1st two picks they are categorized as the WORST or most puzzlings deals in the league!

I had the feeling that they would make their first pick, and my response would be who? :D

Be interesting to hear how this plays out from the Bills media reps. :o

So, it sounds like many in the media judged McCargo to be the 3rd best DT, and most people are critical of the Bills for not waiting nearly 30 picks from when Bunkley was taken (#14) until their pick at #42 because the same media thought McCargo would probably still be there before draft day....

In this light, trading up was not insane. If the Bills knew they were going to take a DT, then waiting 28 picks is a looong time for no one to take a DT.

Does anyone else notice that no other DT has been taken since McCargo (they're up to pick 60 now)? Either teams are picking based on their needs and the Bills were crazy to think McCargo would be gone (because no one needs a DT), or the DTs after McCargo are clearly lesser players.

Does anyone else notice that no other DT has been taken since McCargo (they're up to pick 60 now)?  Either teams are picking based on their needs and the Bills were crazy to think McCargo would be gone (because no one needs a DT), or the DTs after McCargo are clearly lesser players.

676297[/snapback]

No question the Bills Cover Story on the reasons behind Trading Up for McCargo are looking legit...Through #66 now and still not another DT taken...Does not mean McCagrgo would have gone higher than some thought. But no question there was a HUGE dropoff after him at DT... :o

No question the Bills Cover Story on the reasons behind Trading Up for McCargo are looking legit...Through #66 now and still not another DT taken...Does not mean McCagrgo would have gone higher than some thought. But no question there was a HUGE dropoff after him at DT... :o

676410[/snapback]

There we go.... Claude Wroten, taken (by St. Louis) at 68, 42 spots after McCargo.

The sad thing is that ESPN cannot stop laughing at the Bills and every time they talk about the 1st two picks they are categorized as the WORST or most puzzlings deals in the league!:o

676252[/snapback]

Chris Mortensen has to defend the honor of his girlfriend Tom Donahoe.

PTR

Chris Mortensen has to defend the honor of his girlfriend Tom Donahoe.

PTR

676514[/snapback]

I agree. Would have been nice if Mort could have rose above that crap, but apparently is was too much for him to handle. I wonder what Mort's opinion would be if he had worked for TD as opposed to just being friends with him.

I agree.  Would have been nice if Mort could have rose above that crap, but apparently is was too much for him to handle.  I wonder what Mort's opinion would be if he had worked for TD as opposed to just being friends with him.

676768[/snapback]

Why do we even watch ESPN? They are complete morons. They don't know anything about the draft beyond Matt Leinart, Vince Young, and Reggie Bush. The rest of their answers for the whole draft were along the lines of "he has the potential", ""impact player that this team is looking for", "he just wins football games and he is a natural leader", and "He has the type of presence that can change a team".

I don't know why we take it to heart everytime ESPN says something moronic and just further prove their ignorance when it comes to completely comprehending football.

To all the armchair draft experts who think the bills reached for mccargo just because Kiper (chuckle) figured him to go in the 3rd. Here's something to chew on.

http://insider.espn.go.com/NFL/insider/col..._len&id=2382383

He isn't the most heralded defensive line prospect at North Carolina State, but tackle John McCargo, often overshadowed by the Wolfpack's heralded end tandem of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, isn't quite an unknown, either, to NFL scouts.

McCargo's ascent up draft boards continued this week with a strong performance at the school's pro day workouts, and his audition certainly enhanced the chances that North Carolina State will have three defensive linemen selected in the first round next month. Williams, of course, is a sure bet, an edge player and upfield rusher regarded by many scouts as the premier defensive player in the draft. Lawson is also a pass-rush threat, an outside defender with great explosiveness and closing speed who might best project to linebacker in a 3-4 front.

John McCargo was an early-entry after playing three seasons at NC State.But the hard-working McCargo, who has fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot that sidelined him for five games in 2005, is definitely on the rise. Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of Oregon and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside.

"My game has always been about quickness," McCargo said shortly after a pro day workout in which he clocked a 4.94 in the 40. "I really didn't start playing football until the ninth grade and didn't get serious about it until around my junior year [in high school]. But I was a good baseball player and a pretty good basketball player, and some of the traits from those sports, like hand-eye coordination, things like that, kind of carried over onto the football field and helped me a lot."

Scouts agree that one of McCargo's strong suits is his effective use of his hands, often an oversight by young defenders. Watch him on tape, though, and McCargo's hand speed, and ability to get into a blocker's body, is nearly as impressive as his first step forward. That said, McCargo, an underclass prospect, still is very quick off the ball and keeps his feet moving nicely, even when engaged with an opponent.

At a shade under 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, McCargo isn't as bulky as some of the other tackle prospects in the 2006 draft class. But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

"He's a little different than most of the other [tackles]," one general manager said. "Different in a good sort of way because, if you want the upfield guy and not just the run stuffer, there aren't many tackles like him in this year's draft."

An Academic All-American, and an avid but late-blooming student of the game who is now trying to make up for lost time, McCargo understands that Williams and Lawson, flashier players who merit attention by putting the quarterback on the ground, are going to garner most of the headlines. But he understands, too, that there is a place in the NFL for a guy like himself, a hard-working tackle who has made himself into a player and who will soon reap the rewards.

"It never bothered me that people talked so much about Mario and Manny because, I mean, those guys are incredible players," McCargo said. "Playing out on the edge, making big plays in space, you're naturally going to be drawn to those guys. But I was doing some good things, too, inside, and I think the scouts who have done their homework understand that."

To all the armchair draft experts who think the bills reached for mccargo just because Kiper (chuckle) figured him to go in the 3rd. Here's something to chew on.

http://insider.espn.go.com/NFL/insider/col..._len&id=2382383

He isn't the most heralded defensive line prospect at North Carolina State, but tackle John McCargo, often overshadowed by the Wolfpack's heralded end tandem of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, isn't quite an unknown, either, to NFL scouts.

McCargo's ascent up draft boards continued this week with a strong performance at the school's pro day workouts, and his audition certainly enhanced the chances that North Carolina State will have three defensive linemen selected in the first round next month. Williams, of course, is a sure bet, an edge player and upfield rusher regarded by many scouts as the premier defensive player in the draft. Lawson is also a pass-rush threat, an outside defender with great explosiveness and closing speed who might best project to linebacker in a 3-4 front.

John McCargo was an early-entry after playing three seasons at NC State.But the hard-working McCargo, who has fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot that sidelined him for five games in 2005, is definitely on the rise. Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of Oregon and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside.

"My game has always been about quickness," McCargo said shortly after a pro day workout in which he clocked a 4.94 in the 40. "I really didn't start playing football until the ninth grade and didn't get serious about it until around my junior year [in high school]. But I was a good baseball player and a pretty good basketball player, and some of the traits from those sports, like hand-eye coordination, things like that, kind of carried over onto the football field and helped me a lot."

Scouts agree that one of McCargo's strong suits is his effective use of his hands, often an oversight by young defenders. Watch him on tape, though, and McCargo's hand speed, and ability to get into a blocker's body, is nearly as impressive as his first step forward. That said, McCargo, an underclass prospect, still is very quick off the ball and keeps his feet moving nicely, even when engaged with an opponent.

At a shade under 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, McCargo isn't as bulky as some of the other tackle prospects in the 2006 draft class. But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

"He's a little different than most of the other [tackles]," one general manager said. "Different in a good sort of way because, if you want the upfield guy and not just the run stuffer, there aren't many tackles like him in this year's draft."

An Academic All-American, and an avid but late-blooming student of the game who is now trying to make up for lost time, McCargo understands that Williams and Lawson, flashier players who merit attention by putting the quarterback on the ground, are going to garner most of the headlines. But he understands, too, that there is a place in the NFL for a guy like himself, a hard-working tackle who has made himself into a player and who will soon reap the rewards.

"It never bothered me that people talked so much about Mario and Manny because, I mean, those guys are incredible players," McCargo said. "Playing out on the edge, making big plays in space, you're naturally going to be drawn to those guys. But I was doing some good things, too, inside, and I think the scouts who have done their homework understand that."

677054[/snapback]

I read that earlier and i think that McCargo will probably start on opening day. The thing about McCargo is that he draws double teams and opens things up for the players around him (i.e. Mario Williams and Manny Lawson)

I read that earlier and i think that McCargo will probably start on opening day. The thing about McCargo is that he draws double teams and opens things up for the players around him (i.e. Mario Williams and Manny Lawson)

677096[/snapback]

I just don't see Tripplett sitting... McCargo will see plenty of action, but I think it's

Tripplett 60%/McCargo 40%.

I just don't see Tripplett sitting... McCargo will see plenty of action, but I think it's

Tripplett 60%/McCargo 40%.

677110[/snapback]

I think you'll see them both on the field more often than you think. Probably not on short yardage or obvious running plays but on 2nd and 3rd and long I'd imagine they'll be lined up together.

I think you'll see them both on the field more often than you think.  Probably not on short yardage or obvious running plays but on 2nd and 3rd and long I'd imagine they'll be lined up together.

677112[/snapback]

I sure hope so... the less Tim Anderson, the better!

I will bet that McCargo lines up and starts on opening day, although they will surely have a rotation of DTs.

676218[/snapback]

Name the price. I will bet you on this. Listen to the press conference; straight from Jauron's mouth, they're projecting him as a 3-tech, not a 1-tech. According to Jauron, Anderson/Jefferson/Brown is our depth chart for 1-tech right now.