Alex Smith or JP Losman

JP looked bad and downright horrible at times, but he was all-pro compared to Alex Smith. The major difference was that they knew they were gonna be horrible and we thought were a playoff team. However, the 49ers are starting the kid again with total confidence. Why isn't JP getting the same respect? There is a huge learning curve for NFL QBs. My guess is that maybe this is Marv's way of motivating JP. There is a some competition now and he has to earn the job. But that said, who would you rather have???

JP

2005 Buffalo Bills 9 8 228 113 49.6 1340 5.88 58 8 8 26/197 15 6 64.9

Alex Smith

2005 San Francisco 49ers 9 7 165 84 50.9 875 5.30 47 1 11 29/185 13 2 40.8

JP looked bad and downright horrible at times, but he was all-pro compared to Alex Smith.  The major difference was that they knew they were gonna be horrible and we thought were a playoff team.  However, the 49ers are starting the kid again with total confidence.  Why isn't JP getting the same respect?  There is a huge learning curve for NFL QBs.  My guess is that maybe this is Marv's way of motivating JP.  There is a some competition now and he has to earn the job.  But that said, who would you rather have???

JP

Alex Smith

661136[/snapback]

Losman.

I had to watch almost all 49ers games (thanks to my wife), and A.Smith was terrible. I was also wondering how the 49ers fans felt like when seeing his performance and realizing they spent a first overall pick on him. (and no, I didn't dare to ask my wife :doh: )

Based on his plays in his first year, I won't even put him in the same class of T.Couch.

Losman.

I had to watch almost all 49ers games (thanks to my wife), and A.Smith was terrible. I was also wondering how the 49ers fans felt like when seeing his performance and realizing they spent a first overall pick on him. (and no, I didn't dare to ask my wife  :doh: )

Based on his plays in his first year, I won't even put him in the same class of T.Couch.

661142[/snapback]

So did he show anything that looks like he is a NFL QB?

JP looked bad and downright horrible at times, but he was all-pro compared to Alex Smith.  The major difference was that they knew they were gonna be horrible and we thought were a playoff team.  However, the 49ers are starting the kid again with total confidence.  Why isn't JP getting the same respect?  There is a huge learning curve for NFL QBs.  My guess is that maybe this is Marv's way of motivating JP.  There is a some competition now and he has to earn the job.  But that said, who would you rather have???

JP

Alex Smith

661136[/snapback]

Would CBiscuit97 like to be judged for all eternity based on one year's performance? :doh:

Would CBiscuit97 like to be judged for all eternity based on one year's performance? :huh:

661167[/snapback]

God, I hope not. I was horrible in 2005. It was really unexpected because I was amazing in 2004. :doh: But I just thinking JP is getting the short end of the stick. I don't blame Marv because he has no ties to JP. But I keep thinking JP is gonna lose the competition in training camp, eventually get cut, and become a star for another team. That said, I would rather have JP than Alex Smith.

That's a pretty good answer... however, I hear Jesus has limited mobility and makes poor decisions under pressure.  Plus, he doesn't play on Sundays.  :doh:

661143[/snapback]

man I dont want to be around you when lightning strikes.

Would CBiscuit97 like to be judged for all eternity based on one year's performance? :doh:

661167[/snapback]

This brings up an interesting subject. Many people know we should not judge a QB, like A.Smith, after one year. But many Bills fans have already given up on Losman after his first season with siginificant play time.

Is this because fans tend to use higher standard on their beloved teams?

JP

Alex Smith

661136[/snapback]

JP wasn't a rookie.

God, I hope not.  I was horrible in 2005.  It was really unexpected because I was amazing in 2004.  :doh:  But I just thinking JP is getting the short end of the stick.  I don't blame Marv because he has no ties to JP.  But I keep thinking JP is gonna lose the competition in training camp, eventually get cut, and become a star for another team.  That said, I would rather have JP than Alex Smith.

661204[/snapback]

I'll stick with JP, too. I don't think we have any other choice.. :huh:

ITs so had to get it right with drafting a QB

661157[/snapback]

Especially when there is no patience. We all know JP did some great things at times last year. He needs to prove he can grow and be consistent, but he has the ability, and many QBs need time. I just hope he gets 16 starts this season, and we accept the season as a rebuilding year with a solid draft and a few more signings.

Easy!! Losman by a mile.

Alex Smith does not have the arm strength to be an NFL QB and will be out of the league in a few years.

Losman may or may not ever come around to be great, but at least he has a chance.

Smith has no chance. He has Pennington's arm strength without his field awareness, which is a deadly combo.

All IMO, of course.

JP

Alex Smith

661136[/snapback]

Vince Young.

That's a pretty good answer... however, I hear Jesus has limited mobility and makes poor decisions under pressure.  Plus, he doesn't play on Sundays.  :doh:

661143[/snapback]

He won't play on a Saturday....he was a Jew remember. He can suit up any Sunday you like. :huh:

How much relevance do you guys think the whole System QB still has? I know A.Smith and Losman had pretty much wide open offences while in college.You would think that pro scouts would take that into mind...i mean a grand precentage of QB's that wash out seem to come from programs that run spread type formations.Even going way back to guys like Andre Ware...and this year with Vince Young..it's gotta throw up red flags all over the place.Thoughts?

Dont you all understand. THIS IS WHY WE TRADED UP FOR LOSMAN.

TD knew he had to spend a 1st round pick on a QB in 2004 or 2005. In 2004 he looked, saw losman and in 2005 he saw aaron rogers and alex smith (and possibly andrew walter who was highly rated for a while). He obviously thought (and from what I have seen thus far, he was correct) that losman was the best of the bunch and thus needed to trade up and take him in 2004.

For all TDs faults, this IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

Edit: He also liked roth, tried to trade up and couldnt.

Two phenomenon around here that I cannot figure out for the life of me:

1) WHY most folks think Losman can do no right, and

2) WHY most folks think Marv can do no wrong.

661658[/snapback]

1) I agree

2) Huh? From what I see, most think Marv is either doing a terrible job or are wisely giving him the benefit of the doubt & will wait to see what happens. I don't think I've read a Marv can do no wrong post.

....personally, I'm waiting to see how we go before I make up my mind....

Same with JP.