Mel Kiper on Mike & Mike this morning

In case you missed it, Mel Kiper on Mike & Mike this morning went over his mock draft, which most of you have probably seen with all of the ESPN coverage goes like this:

1. Bush

2. M. Williams

3. Leinart

4. D'Brick

5. Hawk

6. V. Davis

7. V. Young

8. Bunkley to us

The interesting part was that he said that he had another mock draft that was not published that had the Titans picking Young instead of Leinart, which he said is a real possibility. He went over this draft and if I heard him right, goes like this:

1. Bush

2. M. Williams

3. V. Young

4. Leinart

5. Hawk

6. V. Davis

7. Huff

8. ????

So basically he said if the Titans pick Young then of course the Jets pick Leinart. The next few are the same but when it gets to the Raiders and Young is gone they probably consider Huff.

Unless I heard him wrong this leaves D'Brick for us ????

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is the possibility of one of the conventional top seven falling to us at eight. Cutler, Young, Williams, Davis and now conceivably (only conceivably) Ferguson. I guess that is why all of our speculation has to be tempered by the realization that there may a big surprise on the table when we get to our pick. From an point of being interesting 8 is a very good place to be picking. Think of how dull it would be to be picking number 1!!! We would be stuck talking about who are starting quarterback would be. :P

Bunkley scares me a bit...you draft gurus (Rich, Astro) have more of an educated opinion....but I worry about durability..

2 knee injuries (one in HS/One in college)

Numerous other lower leg injuries

Senior season in college was really the first full year playing without an injury

I am just concerned about breaking down--the pro game is more brutal in the trenches and this guy got injured a lot in college.

I say--make a trade with the Vikes -- take their 2 seconds and their number 1 and get a couple of DT's (McCargo being one); the best OG; a OT with potential and go from there...

I would imagine that, if Ferguson manages somehow to fall to us at #8, that the price for trading down would almost be too good to pass up...

That would make for quite the dilemma.

Some guy on either Steven Czaban or Sirius Satellite Radio (I'm not sure which one), had a very interesting take on the draft today. He is maybe just trying to be different than everybody, but he came up with the draft like this for the first 8 picks today:

1. Tennessee - Matt Leinart. He said they want him badly, and wants to make sure no one can trade up any higher to get him. So, they trade with willing Houston for the overall #1.

2. New Orleans - Brick. Said that N.O. is almost certain to take D'Brick especially with their Free Agent losses on their already bad line.

3. Houston - Reggie Bush. He said he thinks Houston is convinced that if they trade down to #3 that Bush will NOT be picked by New Orleans. I think that's a big gamble.

4. New York - Haloti Ngata. Yep, here's where I really disagree. He says that Mario Williams doesn't fit the Jets style of defense that they'll play and the Ngata is the better system pick. For my logic, how a potential Bruce Smith wouldn't fit anyone's scheme is beyond me. So, I think this pick is way off.

5. Green Bay - Mario Williams. No brainer.

6. San Fran - Vernon Davis. Says they have gotten rid of a ton of skill, and would like to give their young QB a legit young weapon.

7. Oakland - Vince Young. I didn't really listen, but something about renegade, bucking the trend, Art Shell, blah blah blah.

8 Buffalo - Winston Justice. Said the Bills need Justice and after a year, maybe two at the most, they would have a stud OL'man for years to come. He's sure that after Justice adjusts that he's going to be an All-Pro.

There you have. It's certainly different.

Mike and Mike? Those two are a couple of idiots. My dogs have a more accurate mock draft.

And, just for the record, my dogs have the Bills trading down.

660967[/snapback]

If you'd read the post it was MEL KIPER talking about HIS mock on the Mike and Mike show...not M&M's mock.

Mike and Mike? Those two are a couple of idiots. My dogs have a more accurate mock draft.

660967[/snapback]

Wonder if your dogs can read as well as you... He said Mel Kiper was on Mike and Mike and gave his top 8 picks.

IMO I find it hard to believe that the Saints would shy away from D'Brick, especially after trading away Wayne Gandy their starting LT. BTW my dog suspects the Bills will wait til the second or even third round to grab a DT...then again my dog also likes to chase parked cars.

Some guy on either Steven Czaban or Sirius Satellite Radio (I'm not sure which one), had a very interesting take on the draft today.  He is maybe just trying to be different than everybody, but he came up with the draft like this for the first 8 picks today:

1.  Tennessee - Matt Leinart.  He said they want him badly, and wants to make sure no one can trade up any higher to get him.  So, they trade with willing Houston for the overall #1.

2.  New Orleans - Brick.  Said that N.O. is almost certain to take D'Brick especially with their Free Agent losses on their already bad line.

3.  Houston - Reggie Bush.  He said he thinks Houston is convinced that if they trade down to #3 that Bush will NOT be picked by New Orleans.  I think that's a big gamble.

4.  New York - Haloti Ngata.  Yep, here's where I really disagree.  He says that Mario Williams doesn't fit the Jets style of defense that they'll play and the Ngata is the better system pick.  For my logic, how a potential Bruce Smith wouldn't fit anyone's scheme is beyond me.  So, I think this pick is way off.

5.  Green Bay - Mario Williams.  No brainer.

6.  San Fran - Vernon Davis.  Says they have gotten rid of a ton of skill, and would like to give their young QB a legit young weapon.

7.  Oakland - Vince Young.  I didn't really listen, but something about renegade, bucking the trend, Art Shell, blah blah blah.

8  Buffalo - Winston Justice.  Said the Bills need Justice and after a year, maybe two at the most, they would have a stud OL'man for years to come.  He's sure that after Justice adjusts that he's going to be an All-Pro.

There you have.  It's certainly different.

660979[/snapback]

So they are saying that Hawk will be there, I doubt that, if he is there we cannot pass on him.

660967[/snapback]

I have to agree that they ARE idiots 98% of the time. Of course, they think the opposite. Big Mike is surprisingly ignorant about the NFL and Greenie is the standard journalist wantabe who has no athletic ability and seemingly no understanding of his subject matter, whatsoever. I can't stand listening to their show anymore.

I have to agree that they ARE idiots 98% of the time.  Of course, they think the opposite.  Big Mike is surprisingly ignorant about the NFL and Greenie is the standard journalist wantabe who has no athletic ability and seemingly no understanding of his subject matter, whatsoever.  I can't stand listening to their show anymore.

660998[/snapback]

I used to be entertained how they played off each other (dweeb versus dumb jock), but I have lost a lot of interest due to their recent moves (on air wedding contest, Dweeb's shameless book promotion... I know, they all do that). I also get tired of Dweeb's love affair with the Jets. I still am entertained by Golic; his brother Bob, however, is much funnier.

So they are saying that Hawk will be there, I doubt that, if he is there we cannot pass on him.

660997[/snapback]

Sure we can. The OL is way more pressing than the LB corps.

I'd hate to pass up on someone like AJ Hawk, but there's far too much of a need to get a solid OL to warrant skipping Hawk.

I'd hate to pass up on someone like AJ Hawk, but there's far too much of a need to get a solid OL to warrant skipping Hawk.

661030[/snapback]

That may be true, but the Bills still have nine more picks, including three on the first day. Its not an all-or-nothing situation. A good example is at OG, where the Bills might be able to take the first OG off the board at 42.

If there's an elite player at a lesser need position available at 8, the Bills CAN afford to pick him.

661030[/snapback]

This line of of thinking is what keeps you at 5-11 year after year. Reaching for a player you think you "need" instead of taking a player who will positively impact your team instantly.

The only OL you can pass on hawk for is d'brick.

660997[/snapback]

Agreed. You do not pass on perhaps the best player in the draft at #8 for a need pick. Besides, we may really need him.

Alas, we're just dreaming....

Agreed.  You do not pass on perhaps the best player in the draft at #8 for a need pick.  Besides, we may really need him.

Alas, we're just dreaming....

661043[/snapback]

I know its so unfair. Hypothetically though if Hawk was there and they passed on him it better have been the most unbelievable deal ever. I would go crazi if they passed on him.

I like several DT's in a lot of different rounds, and they all are described the same way--exactly the way our coaches described the guy they want with Triplett: A penetrating DT who is disruptive, requires double-teams, and who has some speed. In Round 1, that's Bunkley. But there are several great DT's in the 2nd Round, too. Here's a list of who we might be taking, and who we won't:

DVORACEK? No.

“share of injury and off the field problems which would be two big concerns of NFL teams that are interested in drafting him. He has had anger problems in the past and was kicked off of the Oklahoma football team two games into the 2004 season because of that problem”

WATSON? No.

“lost his starting position due to lack of motivation”

“Conditioning and motivation seem to be the two factors that could concern scouts.”

ROD WRIGHT? No.

“questionable work ethic as well as durability issues”

WROTEN? Yes, in the 2nd Round.

ORIEN HARRIS? Yes, 2nd Round.

MAHELONA? Yes, 2nd Round.

“He plays every down as though it were his last and leaves everything on the field. He is a very hard worker who is never satisfied with his play and is always striving for continuous improvement.”

LEWIS? Yes, 2nd Round.

“very durable player who hasn’t missed a single game due to injury in his career.”

KYLE WILLIAMS? Yes, 2nd Round.

“extremely hard worker with a non-stop motor.”

“blue collar player”

McCARGO? Maybe.

“academic all-ACC performer for his accomplishments in the classroom.”

“Some also question whether he was a product of the players around him, with first round prospects Manny Lawson and Mario Williams as his defensive ends.”

There is the possibility of one of the conventional top seven falling to us at eight.  Cutler, Young, Williams, Davis and now conceivably (only conceivably) Ferguson.  I guess that is why all of our speculation has to be tempered by the realization that there may a big surprise on the table when we get to our pick. From an point of being interesting 8 is a very good place to be picking.  Think of how dull it would be to be picking number 1!!!  We would be stuck talking about who are starting quarterback would be.  :doh:

660921[/snapback]

Man, if D'Brickashaw Ferguson is still available after the first 7 picks have been made, they should FedEx the draft card w/ his name on it to the podium.

661030[/snapback]

Hawk is a gamer and this team needs gamers. I'm all for D'Brick if he's there, but passing over Hawk to pick a question mark like Justice is something that would be very foolish on the Bills part. There's always the 2nd and 3rd rounds for offensive lineman.