The Haloti Ngata Profile By Ourlads Scouts

Mark VI

Ugh!  Let's not go there again. 

Please, Marv......say "no" to the "big dancing bear" type OL like Williams, Leonard Davis, and this year's version, Marcus McNeil.

659774[/snapback]

A poster (wish I could remember who it was) described these guys as "bullies." Imo, this makes perfect sense. These guys are SO big and strong that in college, they can simply maul their weaker opponents with very little effort. As we know, this doesn't work in the NFL, because the opponents are all pretty damn good.

This is why Pace was always my favorite. He can maul, pass block, move, and anything else he wants, even though he has lost a step. When he was at his peak, he was the best ever (again, imo).

A poster (wish I could remember who it was) described these guys as "bullies." Imo, this makes perfect sense. These guys are SO big and strong that in college, they can simply maul their weaker opponents with very little effort. As we know, this doesn't work in the NFL, because the opponents are all pretty damn good.

This is why Pace was always my favorite. He can maul, pass block, move, and anything else he wants, even though he has lost a step. When he was at his peak, he was the best ever (again, imo).

659778[/snapback]

Pace is certainly one of the most dominant OL of all. There have been some pretty good ones (living here in Baltimore, the name of the late Jim Parker immediately comes to mind), but I'd put him near the top for sure.

As I've said before, he's proof positive that the Hypeman Trophy is a joke. Clearly, Pace was the best player in college football the year he finished 4th in the voting:

Danny Wuerffel Florida Sr. QB

2nd Troy Davis Iowa State Jr. RB

3rd Jake Plummer Arizona State Sr. QB

4th Orlando Pace Ohio State Jr. OT

5th Warrick Dunn Florida State Sr. RB

6th Byron Hanspard Texas Tech Jr. RB

7th Darnell Autry Northwestern Jr. RB

8th Peyton Manning Tennessee Jr. QB

9th Marcus Harris Wyoming Sr. WR

10th Beau Morgan Air Force Sr. QB

This is nearly as bad a ripoff as giving the Best Picture Oscar to Ordinary People over Raging Bull.

Too bad none of us have really had a chance to see this kid in action.

659431[/snapback]

Watchatalkingbout? I've seen him play for the past 3 years.

This pointedly scathing report is so markedly different than so many others one must seriously ask themselves what the agenda of the writer was.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...alotingata.html

Height: 6-4 1/8 | Weight: 338 | 40-Time: 5.12

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has outstanding size and a huge frame...Is an amazing athlete...Moves well and has excellent speed and quickness...Extremely strong and gets a great push...Can control the line of scrimmage...Can stuff the run and take on multiple blockers...Is not merely a space eater and can penetrate and rush the passer if given the opportunity...Plays with great leverage...Has the potential to be a dominant 3-4 nose tackle...A great kick blocker on special teams...Major upside.

Weaknesses:

Has an inconsistent motor and disappears for stretches...Needs to work on his technique and master the nuances of the position...Tore the ACL in his left knee and missed basically the entire 2003 season...Is not yet a finished product.

Notes:

Was a premier recruit coming out of high school...As the "Planet Theory" says there are only so many guys in the world with his blend of size, speed and athleticism...A rare prospect with the tools to be one of the best in the league.

Scout.com Player Evaluation:

NFL Draft Rankings (full list):

Pos: DT Pos Rank: #1

STRENGTHS

Explosion

Size

Strength

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT

Techniques and Moves

Powerful defensive lineman who occupy blockers and control the line of scrimmage. Has upside associated with improvement of technique at the pro level.

Biography:

Finished up his college career with a season that pushed him into the first round of the NFL draft. Consensus All-American following the a season where Ngata was a dominating force in the defensive line and registered 71 tackles, including tackles-for-losses in nine games during the season. Finalist for both the Outland and Nagurski trophies.

http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootb...halotingata.htm

Position: Defensive Tackle *Top Rated*

School: Oregon

Height: 6-5

Weight: 335

40-Yard Dash: 4.85 (EST)

Positives:

Haloti Ngata is a veritable mountain of a man in the middle of the defensive line, and has the strength to throw around guards when he's getting into the backfield. He also has great burst and agility to get through the line when brute force isn't enough. Ngata's coaches also call him among the most intelligent athletes they've ever seen, and he uses that intelligence to his full advantage, showing an ability to read play-action passes or where runs are going better than nearly anyone at his level of development, and better than many NFL linemen. Ngata also will refuse to give up on plays and doesn't take any off. He also has a rare ability among defensive linemen that he doesn't lose much from his play if he's on the field and hurting.

Negatives:

The only real negative about Ngata is that he tore an ACL in his sophomore year, which is always a concern for someone his age. However, he came back claiming that his damaged knee was stronger post-rehab than his healthy knee was, and no proof to the contrary has come out through his play.

Overview:

Haloti Ngata has been described as a quiet, but good-natured football player, which is never a bad thing to see. With his size and the tools he has, he will be a valuable pickup for any NFL franchise looking for a high-flight DT to add to their roster. Barring future complications from his previous knee surgery, he should be an NFL star for years to come.

Weaknesses:

Has an inconsistent motor

Well - there you have it - everyone knows inconsistent motors aren't going to cut it on our high motor lines...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospe...loti_ngata.html

Haloti Ngata DT 6’5 338 Oregon Jr.

By: Robert Davis

Haloti Ngata has always been one of the most imposing figures you’ll see on a football field. He was widely regarded as one of the top five players in the entire country coming out of high school. He gave glimpses of his talent as a freshman, but missed the entire following year due to a knee injury. Ngata didn’t regain his previous form until halfway through last year at Oregon. As a junior this past season, Ngata notched 61 tackles, nine for loss, and three sacks, despite constant double and triple teams.

You cannot dream up a more physically gifted defensive tackle. Ngata is absolutely massive and is immovable from the interior line. He combines his bulk with amazing physical strength. Along with his great size and strength, he has impressive athleticism and agility. Moving up the field, he shows the ability to change direction well and has the closing speed to finish off plays. Oregon even drops him into coverage from his tackle spot. That is unheard of for a 340lber. He must be accounted for at all times. Teams routinely double and triple team him to neutralize his impact.

Ngata has gotten a ton of hype because of his physical gifts, but he still needs some more consistency on the field. At times, he thinks his raw strength is enough to dominate, and that will not work at the next level. He injured his knee in 2003, and even though he appears to be back at full strength, it will be something that is looked into.

On his talent alone, Ngata is going to be a high draft pick. Teams will drool over his physical ability in workouts. He is one of the elite defensive players in this draft, and could go in the Top eight of this years draft.

EDIT:***OK that's enough, I just wanted to add some contrasting evaluations of Ngata, I knew he has SOME positives***

So far, Ourlads’ has been steadfast in our belief that the Bills should take Haloti Ngata the DT from Oregon with the 8th pick. He would be an outstanding selection and he would fill a huge need fitting nicely into the spot vacated by Sam Adams. Don’t forget, they also lost Justin Bannan and Ron Edwards is still an un-signed UFA. :D

Huh?

Watchatalkingbout?  I've seen him play for the past 3 years.

This pointedly scathing report is so markedly different than so many others one must seriously ask themselves what the agenda of the writer was.

659824[/snapback]

One thing about that report though, which I don't think is just one writer's views, there have a lot of scouts at Ourlads. It gives detail and specifics, on how he actually plays. Most of the glowing reports talk in generalities about his physical gifts. Those two things can co-exist. Every great report says he's an amazing specimin and size and speed and burst and strength and potential and words like that. The Ourlads analysis is how they see him actually play. Granted, it's probably somewhere in the middle. But those Ourlads guys are not total morons, they have been doing this for 23 years or something and get paid by the NFL teams for their work.

So far, Ourlads’ has been steadfast in our belief that the Bills should take Haloti Ngata the DT from Oregon with the 8th pick. He would be an outstanding selection and he would fill a huge need fitting nicely into the spot vacated by Sam Adams. Don’t forget, they also lost Justin Bannan and Ron Edwards is still an un-signed UFA.  :P

Huh?

659843[/snapback]

But those Ourlads guys are not total morons, they have been doing this for 23 years or something and get paid by the NFL teams for their work.

:D

So far, Ourlads’ has been steadfast in our belief that the Bills should take Haloti Ngata the DT from Oregon with the 8th pick. He would be an outstanding selection and he would fill a huge need fitting nicely into the spot vacated by Sam Adams. Don’t forget, they also lost Justin Bannan and Ron Edwards is still an un-signed UFA.  :D

Huh?

659843[/snapback]

They're just part of the master plan to get the Bills moved to LA. Didn't you know?

EDIT:***OK that's enough, I just wanted to add some contrasting evaluations of Ngata, I knew he has SOME positives***

659841[/snapback]

Thanks.

I think your posted reports are much more balanced and accurate. He is a tremendous talent but he missed most of his soph. season with a blown knee and then decided to come out early on top of that. So, he's ubertalented but still has much work on his techniques, etc. That rings accurate and fair.

The Ourlads piece doesn't add up. Ngata is quick enough off the ball to block extra points. I've seen him run down RBs in the open field all the way to the sidelines. How does anyone that's getting pancaked every play make 61 tackles? I've seen Ngata push double teams and collapse pockets with brute strength. I'm not going to say he's Bob Lilly in his prime or that the Bills have to draft him, but c'mon...

One thing about that report though, which I don't think is just one writer's views, there have a lot of scouts at Ourlads. It gives detail and specifics, on how he actually plays. Most of the glowing reports talk in generalities about his physical gifts. Those two things can co-exist. Every great report says he's an amazing specimin and size and speed and burst and strength and potential and words like that. The Ourlads analysis is how they see him actually play. Granted, it's probably somewhere in the middle. But those Ourlads guys are not total morons, they have been doing this for 23 years or something and get paid by the NFL teams for their work.

659847[/snapback]

If this is a collection of comments from various sources, then I will blame the editor/editors that put them together. Those first two paragraphs posted were very negative and gave no indication at all of the player's upside. By my count there were 2 short sentences that might be taken as neutral to semi-positive, but even those were buttressed with lots of BUTs and ONLYs. If that is the entire piece, it clearly lacks any semblance of balance.

I think there are several paragraphs of negativism that can be written about all players (yes, even "gods" like Leinart and Bush have risks and downsides) and not so naive to think otherwise. Still, nobody deserves a complete carpet bombing of their skills. To be in top-10 pick consideration, surely, a dram of common sense says the guy has something to offer, eh?

Ugh!  Let's not go there again. 

Please, Marv......say "no" to the "big dancing bear" type OL like Williams, Leonard Davis, and this year's version, Marcus McNeil.

659774[/snapback]

haha, dancing bears are funny. But I agree.

659847[/snapback]

Gentlemen

the hermeneuts at Ourlads deserve an encomium for their de-mystification of Mr. Haloti Ngata. Mr. Ngata has been exposed gentlemen, and the Ultra Hooligans can only hope that the wisdom of Mr. Levy mobilizes itself with f*cking relentlessness, and identifies Mr. Ngata as the charlatan he is.

Gentlemen we are faced with a dichotomy at the number 8 position: Mr. Huff or Mr. Bunkley. I, for one, am lost in this particular theoretical matrix and hope Mr. Levy with the consultation of Mr. Jauron, Mr. Fewell and the other researchers can make the correct move.

Attention Mr. Mike Shoop: you are a greater charlatan than Mr. Ngata

Gentlemen

the hermeneuts at Ourlads deserve an encomium for their de-mystification of Mr. Haloti Ngata. Mr. Ngata has been exposed gentlemen, and the Ultra Hooligans can only hope that the wisdom of Mr. Levy mobilizes itself with f*cking relentlessness, and identifies Mr. Ngata as the charlatan he is.

Gentlemen we are faced with a dichotomy at the number 8 position: Mr. Huff or Mr. Bunkley. I, for one, am lost in this particular theoretical matrix and hope Mr. Levy with the consultation of Mr. Jauron, Mr. Fewell and the other researchers can make the correct move.

Attention Mr. Mike Shoop: you are a greater charlatan than Mr. Ngata

659874[/snapback]

I THINK you mean you're not a Ngata supporter. Nor am I. Nice to see you post again.

Sorry folks, there is no "scouting service" that is going to accurately be able to predict the translation of a college player's skills to the Pros with any reliable degree of accuracy. Sure some are historically better than others, but this is not an exact science. Some posters here are merely setting themselves up to cry "chicken little" if we end up drafting this guy. Even the former scouts at Ourlads are not privy to all the same resources that active scouting staffs are. We can all pick whose evaluation we want to trust but it's much like picking Super Bowl odds. I have seen the guy (Ngata) play once and was not largely impressed but that certainly doesn't make me an expert either.

Sorry folks, there is no "scouting service" that is going to accurately be able to predict the translation of a college player's skills to the Pros with any reliable degree of accuracy. Sure some are historically better than others, but this is not an exact science. Some posters here are merely setting themselves up to cry "chicken little" if we end up drafting this guy. Even the former scouts at Ourlads are not privy to all the same resources that active scouting staffs are. We can all pick whose evaluation we want to trust but it's much like picking Super Bowl odds. I have seen the guy (Ngata) play once and was not largely impressed but that certainly doesn't make me an expert either.

659918[/snapback]

I look @ it as another tool to use to measure a player's abilities. I also look @ game tape (gotta love the ESPN Game Plan!), so that I have some idea about what some of these guys can do. In Ngata's case, I've seen about 4 games this year, and he seems to be a pretty solid DT. I don't think he's the greatest DT prospect in a decade nor do I think he's a total bust. Based on what I've seen of him and what I've read about him, I think he's good, but I'd rather see the Bills use the #8 pick elsewhere and get a quailty DT either in the 2nd or w/ the earliest of our 3rd round picks, depending on how the draft plays out.

I look @ it as another tool to use to measure a player's abilities.  I also look @ game tape (gotta love the ESPN Game Plan!), so that I have some idea about what some of these guys can do.  In Ngata's case, I've seen about 4 games this year, and he seems to be a pretty solid DT.  I don't think he's the greatest DT prospect in a decade nor do I think he's a total bust.  Based on what I've seen of him and what I've read about him, I think he's good, but I'd rather see the Bills use the #8 pick elsewhere and get a quailty DT either in the 2nd or w/ the earliest of our 3rd round picks, depending on how the draft plays out.

659932[/snapback]

I agree. I like his build and potential. But potential only means you havent done s--- yet, direct quote from my high scool coach. Anyway I think we can get DT later in the draft that can have just as much impact. But I think we need a game changer on either side of the ball and I dont think this kid is it.

Clearly, this is a profile of a late-round draft choice at all. I have not seen one mock draft that has him falling out of the first round, let alone out of the top-15.

Ourlads puts its creditability in question with this profile.

659761[/snapback]

Consider that A) many first-round picks end up being busts, and B) most draft sites had glowing profiles of these players in the year they were drafted. Think of all the glowing reviews you read about Mike Williams back when he was drafted.

Obviously, what Ourlads is trying to do is to predict first round busts will be in advance of the draft. If they're right more often than not, they'll have increased their credibility in my eyes.

Hey guys, first time poster out here in Oregon. I'm a huge Oregon fan and saw pretty much every game Haloti played in college. That Ourlads report makes me think they never saw him play. They are wrong on so many points IMHO.

G Fred Matua dominated him the whole game. First, one guy did not dominate him in the USC game. They had 2 or 3 guys on him every play, just like every other team he went against.

No inside pressure when he's single blocked. Rarely makes a play.

Wrong again. He was often unguardable when left one on one. Go watch the Cal game and you'll see what I mean.

Takes too many plays off.

This was a problem his 1st 2 years at UO. This problem seemed to go away his junior year.

Not an impressive pass rusher ( 3 sacks ).

Is this really what you need a 340+lb DT to be? Also, 3 sacks isn't too shabby for a supposed run stuffer at the next level.

I think Haloti would be a real nice pick for the Bills at 8. He should be a solid starter for years. I could've pointed out more issues I had with Ourlads, but this post is way too long as it is. :rolleyes:

Hey guys, first time poster out here in Oregon.  I'm a huge Oregon fan and saw pretty much every game Haloti played in college.  That Ourlads report makes me think they never saw him play.  They are wrong on so many points IMHO.

G Fred Matua dominated him the whole game.  First, one guy did not dominate him in the USC game.  They had 2 or 3 guys on him every play, just like every other team he went against.

No inside pressure when he's single blocked. Rarely makes a play. 

Wrong again.  He was often unguardable when left one on one.  Go watch the Cal game and you'll see what I mean.

Takes too many plays off.

This was a problem his 1st 2 years at UO.  This problem seemed to go away his junior year.

Not an impressive pass rusher ( 3 sacks ).

Is this really what you need a 340+lb DT to be?  Also, 3 sacks isn't too shabby for a supposed run stuffer at the next level.

I think Haloti would be a real nice pick for the Bills at 8.  He should be a solid starter for years.  I could've pointed out more issues I had with Ourlads, but this post is way too long as it is. :rolleyes:

660389[/snapback]

Welcome to the forum! That Ourlads post seemed odd...I can't say he's a #8, but OTOH I wouldn't paint him as a bum. One concern is the history of knee injury...

Slow twitch player. Doesn't push the pocket with strength. Questionable functional strength. Gets pinned by a single block. Stands on the line of scrimmage. Jogs in pursuit. Gets driven off the ball in goal line defense.

Some weeks ago i posted his Olympic weightlifting totals, which for a man of his size and in particular, his potential draft position (#8 Buffalo) were quite poor. Good on him for doing those lifts though. These comments, particularly about "slow twitch" bare that out (...and yes i do know he's a footballer first and formost and thta some folk have No idea how Olympic lifters train). I'd hope to take someone with more power than strength- thus more ability to penetrate and push their ground. The description is pretty negative stuff.

We'll see...