My Worthless Two Cents

Virgil

Like most other Buffalo Bills fan, I have been let down by my team for quite some time now. The last season that I can remember enjoying was the year we went 3-13. Honestly, there was no expectations that year and it was fun to root for these young guys fighting for future roster spots. I felt more connected to that team than I have to any of the recent ones. I will never stop being a Bills fan, I will complain as much as the next guy, but I also know that my opinions mean absolutely nothing in the decisions directing the team. Which is why my two cents is worthless, but as a fan I do believe a few things.

Head Coach:

I know nothing about Dick Jauron except that he had one good season in Chicago. I never watched their games unless the Bills were playing them. I know that their defense was amazing but their offense was...well, who knows what that was. Overall, I was part of the Mularkey fan club until the end of last season when I just didn't get the vibe that the team was in control. And by vibe, you all know what I mean. When we blew that lead to Miami, I wasn't sad because this was just another example of Bills fans getting bent over, but just because I could see the team coming apart on the sidelines. For a while then, it felt like it was a series of players on the field, not just one unit and that game justified my theory on that. I still think Mularkey is a great coach, but with all the changes that happened around him, he had to quit. I don't know that the team would have responded to him like they did in his first year, and I still don't know if the Sam Adams and Eric Moulds things were his doing. All I do know is that we never really had problems like that with those guys in the past. But, that's all I can know being a fan.

Marv Levy as GM:

I don't know what the transition between HC and GM is like, but I do know this. I want Ralph Wilson as my owner for one reason. He loves this team and he loves them in Buffalo. Marv Levy is cut from the same mold. Levy loves this team and will do everything in his power to make us a contender. And honestly, who else was really out there that we knew would be better? For now, I'd rather see a man who truly cares about the team more than some guy trying to pad his resume.

Offseason Moves:

I was excited just like everyone else about the idea of us having a spending frenzy in the offseason considering our cap status. And in the beginning, I was getting slightly bothered at our lack of movement. But then I looked at the remaining free agents list and found some peace. Ty Law is still a free agent. I don't care how old the man is, he has been the most dominant cover corner in recent years and yet can't get any interest. Now, I'm sure that there are a lot of reasons for this, but to the uninformed, that is just plain wrong. With that being said, the whole idea just reminds me that I really have no idea what goes into FA acquisitions or contract negotiations. I'm not at practices, besides at St. John's, and i'm not at workouts. Fact of the matter is, referring to my previous statements, I believe that if Marv thought these guys would take us in the direction that we wanted to go, we would make our play. I have to believe that as a fan and as a man who was never led astray by Levy.

Eric Moulds:

Eric Moulds is the biggest waste of talent we pry ever had in Buffalo. The man has size, speed, and great hands. If he had been on a team with a consistent qb, I think we would be referring to him like Marvin Harrison or Chad Johnson. But we didn't give that to him, and when he could have left, he stayed with the team who drafted him. So now, after so many years of waiting and now being at the beginning of a new re-building process, can you really blame him for wanting to be apart of a winning team. Personally, as much as I like him being a Bill, I'm excited and hopeful for him to be an Eagle so that we can all see just how great he could have been with us. The man has given us over 7 years of his life and we really didn't give him what we promised. I know that people are painting him to be the bad guy, and I have not personally met him to say different, but I can't think of a situation where a player ever wanted to leave a team and not have people get angry with him. I will just wish him the best.

JP Losman:

For the record, I have a JP Losman jersey signed by the kid himself. I like his swagger and his desire to learn. But here's the deal. If we are going to make him compete for the starting job this year, then I really do hope we trade him. I believe the kid can be good, but i'm not convinced he will be the man to carry the team on his shoulders. Yes, you can make comparisons to other great qb's from their first few years, but it's not about that. Eli Manning had a horrible first year. But you know what, when you watched him play, you could just tell he was going to get better. You knew he wouldn't make the same mistakes twice. JP may get there, but I just have not had that same feeling of confidence. I want him to be great, more than anything, but I just don't feel it. In fairness to him, I say let him prove us wrong without the fear of someone stealing his job, or let's just move on like we did with Mularkey and give the kid a real chance somewhere else.

Draft:

I will be requesting off this weekend like I have in years past. I love the draft, just love it. What I don't love is the contract signings that follow it. Do people not realize the amount of money these kids get paid to do nothing. I mean, for the first 2-3 years we pay them pro-bowl money for sitting on the bench. And then, after that waste of time, we HOPE they will be great. C'mon, do we really want to do that? Personally, I would rather trade down to the mid first round and acquire more picks. I would rather take my chances on mulitiple players then waste a ton of money on a "hopeful" probowler. And from everything that I am hearing so far, the only player that will pry be there for us is Ngata or the Ferguson that we want. Personally, I don't want to try the OT again just cause the Mike Williams experience still haunts me. As for Ngata, there is debate whether or not he really is the best player for our needs and there are other players at that position who have almost the same upside. So personally, I say trade down and save the money.

Unless...and I know I will be beaten for this. Unless we actually do trade Losman, I really think we make a play for Leinhert. I'm sorry, but this kid just seems like the kind of player who is going to really make it. There would be no questions about who the starter is or his ability to make the NFL plays. He's been doing it already for Carroll in USC. And whether he makes it or not, I think that would put an end to our QB debate for years to come. If we are going to pay the money, then let's do it for someone we think will really make the difference. Nothing against Cutler or Young, but those are just guys who I think are special in their own way. Kinda like Micheal Vick, great player in his own way, but has that new-age qb really won anything yet? Leinhert just seems to be the real deal. But I know it won't happen.

Overall:

For the past few years, we have had a team on paper that should be Superbowl contenders. I truly believe that you give our roster to someone like Billicheck or Parcells and we are winners. Now, I don't like either of those guys, but it still shows that there is more to the game than just putting power on your team. Winning is an idea, an atmosphere, and something the Bills have not had in a long time. Until week 3 of this year, I will not make any more assumptions about how the team is doing. I'm going to read the news every day and be prepared to support my team. But, right or wrong, I know one thing. If a winning product is put out on the field for us to watch, we will not remember any of these problems.

My worthless two cents. Thank you for reading, if you stayed awake that is...

First off, Losman is, dare I say it, a victim of last year's coaching staff. He was named the starter without earning the job, which is something that even he was uncomfortable with it. As a result, I'm sure his teammates, who have all had to fight to earn their starting spot, did not fully buy in to a QB who was inserted into the mix. That certainly didn't help Losman last year as he tried to keep his starting role. It would also account for any rumoured "team doesn't like him" messages...

As to where things are now, it's kind of silly to think that the Bills would be ready to shuffle him off without even seeing him make one throw live, just based on tape. They just started the offseason conditioning program last week, so it seems far too early for the coaching staff to have assessed his current capabilities. Does that mean that Marv and company are not "testing the trade waters?" Absolutely not. You have a 3 way competition at QB (as Marv and Dick pretty much had said all along...Dick saying no one will be handed the starting job at any position, that it has to be earned, and Marv saying they'd be picking up a 2nd tier Free agent QB to give us 3 (non-NFL Europe) QB's), which means that there are 2 out of 3 outcomes that result in Losman not getting the starting job. Now this doesn't mean that Losman only has a 33% chance of getting the job, but if he can't beat out two other candidates in a practice scenario, then he's not going to cut it as a #1 QB for this offense during the season. If one of those two situations happen (Nall or Holcomb get the starting nod), you need to be ready for plan B. Plan B cannot (or at least shouldn't) include keeping Losman as a number 2 so you have to determine what your other options are. A trade is the best overall option because you get something for him. So where people are complaining that Levy won't get anything for Moulds because it's already clear the Bills will release Moulds, he's taking the opposite tack of looking for trade partners first in case he needs to dump Losman. This rumored "trade scenario" is not about Losman losing the team's confidence before he even steps out on the practice field, it's not about dumping a "TD guy," it's talking hypothetically with other teams to guage interest in anticipation of a possible outcome. This scenario would be completely consistent with everything we've heard from the coaching staff and front office, and I haven't seen them do anything that's inconsistent with what they've said they were going to do.

First off, Losman is, dare I say it, a victim of last year's coaching staff. He was named the starter without earning the job, which is something that even he was uncomfortable with it. As a result, I'm sure his teammates, who have all had to fight to earn their starting spot, did not fully buy in to a QB who was inserted into the mix. That certainly didn't help Losman last year as he tried to keep his starting role. It would also account for any rumoured "team doesn't like him" messages...

As to where things are now, it's kind of silly to think that the Bills would be ready to shuffle him off without even seeing him make one throw live, just based on tape. They just started the offseason conditioning program last week, so it seems far too early for the coaching staff to have assessed his current capabilities. Does that mean that Marv and company are not "testing the trade waters?" Absolutely not. You have a 3 way competition at QB (as Marv and Dick pretty much had said all along...Dick saying no one will be handed the starting job at any position, that it has to be earned, and Marv saying they'd be picking up a 2nd tier Free agent QB to give us 3 (non-NFL Europe) QB's), which means that there are 2 out of 3 outcomes that result in Losman not getting the starting job. Now this doesn't mean that Losman only has a 33% chance of getting the job, but if he can't beat out two other candidates in a practice scenario, then he's not going to cut it as a #1 QB for this offense during the season. If one of those two situations happen (Nall or Holcomb get the starting nod), you need to be ready for plan B. Plan B cannot (or at least shouldn't) include keeping Losman as a number 2 so you have to determine what your other options are. A trade is the best overall option because you get something for him. So where people are complaining that Levy won't get anything for Moulds because it's already clear the Bills will release Moulds, he's taking the opposite tack of looking for trade partners first in case he needs to dump Losman. This rumored "trade scenario" is not about Losman losing the team's confidence before he even steps out on the practice field, it's not about dumping a "TD guy," it's talking hypothetically with other teams to guage interest in anticipation of a possible outcome. This scenario would be completely consistent with everything we've heard from the coaching staff and front office, and I haven't seen them do anything that's inconsistent with what they've said they were going to do.

646783[/snapback]

Good post. I agree.

I like the post, you make some very good points and I agree with the draft prospects, I have to go the other way in the Leinhart comment, while I think he is very talented, it would be a waste of a pick. We should trade away unless we can get a Williams, Davis or a Ferguson -anyone else get to the back of the bus. Good post man.GO BILLS! :angry:

I like the post, you make some very good points and I agree with the draft prospects, I have to go the other way in the Leinhart comment, while I think he is very talented, it would be a waste of a pick. We should trade away unless we can get a Williams, Davis or a Ferguson -anyone else get to the back of the bus. Good post man.GO BILLS! :blink:

646809[/snapback]

I'm not saying that i'm sold on someone like Leinhert either, but I think that people would question our QB situation less if we had someone like him in there. Even though Losman was a first round pick, he was taken late and reserved to back-up duty. Leinhert would pry be started from day one and be unquestioned in that role. So, just for the sake of ending any kind of controversy, I would not mind if that happened.

Like most other Buffalo Bills fan, I have been let down by my team for quite some time now.  The last season that I can remember enjoying was the year we went 3-13.  Honestly, there was no expectations that year and it was fun to root for these young guys fighting for future roster spots.  I felt more connected to that team than I have to any of the recent ones.  I will never stop being a Bills fan, I will complain as much as the next guy, but I also know that my opinions mean absolutely nothing in the decisions directing the team.  Which is why my two cents is worthless, but as a fan I do believe a few things.

Head Coach:

I know nothing about Dick Jauron except that he had one good season in Chicago.  I never watched their games unless the Bills were playing them.  I know that their defense was amazing but their offense was...well, who knows what that was.  Overall, I was part of the Mularkey fan club until the end of last season when I just didn't get the vibe that the team was in control.  And by vibe, you all know what I mean.  When we blew that lead to Miami, I wasn't sad because this was just another example of Bills fans getting bent over, but just because I could see the team coming apart on the sidelines.  For a while then, it felt like it was a series of players on the field, not just one unit and that game justified my theory on that.  I still think Mularkey is a great coach, but with all the changes that happened around him, he had to quit.  I don't know that the team would have responded to him like they did in his first year, and I still don't know if the Sam Adams and Eric Moulds things were his doing.  All I do know is that we never really had problems like that with those guys in the past.  But, that's all I can know being a fan.

Marv Levy as GM:

I don't know what the transition between HC and GM is like, but I do know this.  I want Ralph Wilson as my owner for one reason.  He loves this team and he loves them in Buffalo.  Marv Levy is cut from the same mold.  Levy loves this team and will do everything in his power to make us a contender.  And honestly, who else was really out there that we knew would be better?  For now, I'd rather see a man who truly cares about the team more than some guy trying to pad his resume.

Offseason Moves:

I was excited just like everyone else about the idea of us having a spending frenzy in the offseason considering our cap status.  And in the beginning, I was getting slightly bothered at our lack of movement.  But then I looked at the remaining free agents list and found some peace.  Ty Law is still a free agent.  I don't care how old the man is, he has been the most dominant cover corner in recent years and yet can't get any interest.  Now, I'm sure that there are a lot of reasons for this, but to the uninformed, that is just plain wrong.  With that being said, the whole idea just reminds me that I really have no idea what goes into FA acquisitions or contract negotiations.  I'm not at practices, besides at St. John's, and i'm not at workouts.  Fact of the matter is, referring to my previous statements, I believe that if Marv thought these guys would take us in the direction that we wanted to go, we would make our play.  I have to believe that as a fan and as a man who was never led astray by Levy.

Eric Moulds:

Eric Moulds is the biggest waste of talent we pry ever had in Buffalo.  The man has size, speed, and great hands.  If he had been on a team with a consistent qb, I think we would be referring to him like Marvin Harrison or Chad Johnson.  But we didn't give that to him, and when he could have left, he stayed with the team who drafted him.  So now, after so many years of waiting and now being at the beginning of a new re-building process, can you really blame him for wanting to be apart of a winning team.  Personally, as much as I like him being a Bill, I'm excited and hopeful for him to be an Eagle so that we can all see just how great he could have been with us.  The man has given us over 7 years of his life and we really didn't give him what we promised.  I know that people are painting him to be the bad guy, and I have not personally met him to say different, but I can't think of a situation where a player ever wanted to leave a team and not have people get angry with him.  I will just wish him the best.

JP Losman:

For the record, I have a JP Losman jersey signed by the kid himself.  I like his swagger and his desire to learn.  But here's the deal.  If we are going to make him compete for the starting job this year, then I really do hope we trade him.  I believe the kid can be good, but i'm not convinced he will be the man to carry the team on his shoulders.  Yes, you can make comparisons to other great qb's from their first few years, but it's not about that.  Eli Manning had a horrible first year.  But you know what, when you watched him play, you could just tell he was going to get better.  You knew he wouldn't make the same mistakes twice.  JP may get there, but I just have not had that same feeling of confidence.  I want him to be great, more than anything, but I just don't feel it.  In fairness to him, I say let him prove us wrong without the fear of someone stealing his job, or let's just move on like we did with Mularkey and give the kid a real chance somewhere else.

Draft:

I will be requesting off this weekend like I have in years past.  I love the draft, just love it.  What I don't love is the contract signings that follow it.  Do people not realize the amount of money these kids get paid to do nothing.  I mean, for the first 2-3 years we pay them pro-bowl money for sitting on the bench.  And then, after that waste of time, we HOPE they will be great.  C'mon, do we really want to do that?  Personally, I would rather trade down to the mid first round and acquire more picks.  I would rather take my chances on mulitiple players then waste a ton of money on a "hopeful" probowler.  And from everything that I am hearing so far, the only player that will pry be there for us is Ngata or the Ferguson that we want.  Personally, I don't want to try the OT again just cause the Mike Williams experience still haunts me.  As for Ngata, there is debate whether or not he really is the best player for our needs and there are other players at that position who have almost the same upside.  So personally, I say trade down and save the money.

Unless...and I know I will be beaten for this.  Unless we actually do trade Losman, I really think we make a play for Leinhert.  I'm sorry, but this kid just seems like the kind of player who is going to really make it.  There would be no questions about who the starter is or his ability to make the NFL plays.  He's been doing it already for Carroll in USC.  And whether he makes it or not, I think that would put an end to our QB debate for years to come.  If we are going to pay the money, then let's do it for someone we think will really make the difference.  Nothing against Cutler or Young, but those are just guys who I think are special in their own way.  Kinda like Micheal Vick, great player in his own way, but has that new-age qb really won anything yet?  Leinhert just seems to be the real deal.  But I know it won't happen.

Overall:

For the past few years, we have had a team on paper that should be Superbowl contenders.  I truly believe that you give our roster to someone like Billicheck or Parcells and we are winners.  Now, I don't like either of those guys, but it still shows that there is more to the game than just putting power on your team.  Winning is an idea, an atmosphere, and something the Bills have not had in a long time.  Until week 3 of this year, I will not make any more assumptions about how the team is doing.  I'm going to read the news every day and be prepared to support my team.  But, right or wrong, I know one thing.  If a winning product is put out on the field for us to watch, we will not remember any of these problems.

My worthless two cents.  Thank you for reading, if you stayed awake that is...

646451[/snapback]

sounds like a dimes worth

So ya think we could get Vince Young? :doh:

647084[/snapback]

personally, until i see an offensive scheme that works well with a 50/50 run/pass mentality with a qb, i would not want a running qb. People always say that Elway and Young were running qb's and yes they were, but always as a last resort.

So Young, if he were there and Losman were gone, I would not want him.

Wow, great post! That's pretty interesting about Marv and Leinart thing. Could this be Levy's kind of character guy? If Marv is unhappy with Losman and/or that impressed with Leinart, the Saints are primed to trade down. That would really blow this board apart.

Wow, great post! That's pretty interesting about Marv and Leinart thing. Could this be Levy's kind of character guy? If Marv is unhappy with Losman and/or that impressed with Leinart, the Saints are primed to trade down. That would really blow this board apart.

648020[/snapback]

Alot of things would suddenly make sense.... no big FA hires, trading Moulds to save money, lots of cap space...hmmm

I agree with everything except about Moulds. Thats fine, he gave us 7 years of his life, and he played well during those 7 years and got paid extremly well. The problem is, if the rumors are true and he has a deal with the Texans, he is only proving he is all about the money. If you were told you could go talk to a bunch of people interested in your services and were in Moulds situation, why would you make a deal with them? Why wouldn't you spend some time going over your options and then pick someone who was wrose then where you came from and take less (rumors are the deal is only worth about 3-4 miliion a year with the Texans) The fans supported him the entire time he was here and idolized him, so he shows his support by walking out on them and saying he wants to go to a winner

I agree with everything except about Moulds. Thats fine, he gave us 7 years of his life, and he played well during those 7 years and got paid extremly well. The problem is, if the rumors are true and he has a deal with the Texans, he is only proving he is all about the money.

648701[/snapback]

I have another bit of shocking news.... There is no Easter Bunny !!