Espn Chat with Jeremy Green

Ruffalo1

Omar-Buffalo: What's the deal with Eric Moulds? Where might he end up and what can the Bills get for him?

Jeremy Green: (4:26 PM ET ) I think he is going to end up in New England or Philadelphia. I don't think they will get anything from him. His cap # is huge and everyone knows they will eventually cut him.

I agree with the original post. I dont think we'll get any serious offers since teams will just assume the Bills wont keep an 8 million contract on their payroll if Moulds refuses to play and will eventually cut him.

Moulds holds all the cards here.

And yes, if he doesnt play...he doesnt get paid at all...but we STILL have to keep that huge contract on payroll and make room for it, so it seems kind of a waste to do so. Moulds is trying to force the Bills to cut him...not trade him to get some sort of compensation...but to just cut him.

And I think eventually thats just what we'll do. It sucks...but tis the reality of the NFL.

I really don't think it's a given that they WILL eventually cut him.

641612[/snapback]

Exactly. they can keep him and if he decides not to show up, he'll only cost the cap hit that he'll cost if he's moved anyway.

Omar-Buffalo: What's the deal with Eric Moulds? Where might he end up and what can the Bills get for him?

Jeremy Green: (4:26 PM ET ) I think he is going to end up in New England or Philadelphia. I don't think they will get anything from him. His cap # is huge and everyone knows they will eventually cut him.

641609[/snapback]

Wrong-o! The Bills can afford to keep Eric, and will if no decent deal is offered. If Eric refuses to play, all the better for us. The Bills hold the cards when it comes to Eric Moulds.

PTR

I agree with the original post.  I dont think we'll get any serious offers since teams will just assume the Bills wont keep an 8 million contract on their payroll if Moulds refuses to play and will eventually cut him. 

And yes, if he doesnt play...he doesnt get paid at all...but we STILL have to keep that huge contract on payroll and make room for it, so it seems kind of a waste to do so.  Moulds is trying to force the Bills to cut him...not trade him to get some sort of compensation...but to just cut him.

And I think eventually thats just what we'll do.  It sucks...but tis the reality of the NFL.

641619[/snapback]

I disagree...The Bills will keep Moulds under contract and force him to find a trade (and NOT to the Patriots!!) The Bills have enough cap space to do it. There is no way Moulds can force Levy's hand.

PTR

Wrong-o!  The Bills can afford to keep Eric, and will if no decent deal is offered.  If Eric refuses to play, all the better for us.  The Bills hold the cards when it comes to Eric Moulds.

PTR

641627[/snapback]

You think the Bills will just waste all of that cap space on Eric Moulds if he refuses to play? Sure EVENTUALLY we'll get the cap space back if he continues to sit, but by that time FA will be long over. Wouldnt that be a huge blow to this team's attempt to get better by having a guy who wont play tie up that much cash that could be better spent improving this team?

If he sits...we get nothing. If we cut him, at least we free up some cash.

To me Eric knows what he's doing...its low, but he's getting his ticket out of Buffalo one way or another.

You think the Bills will just waste all of that cap space on Eric Moulds if he refuses to play?  Sure EVENTUALLY we'll get the cap space back if he continues to sit, but by that time FA will be long over.  Wouldnt that be a huge blow to this team's attempt to get better by having a guy who wont play tie up that much cash that could be better spent improving this team? 

If he sits...we get nothing.  If we cut him, at least we free up some cash.

To me Eric knows what he's doing...its low, but he's getting his ticket out of Buffalo one way or another.

641632[/snapback]

This is a game of chicken. Who will jump out of the way of the train first? Moulds and the rest of the NFL is betting Levy and the Bills will get nervous and cut Moulds. But what if Buffalo keeps him? Then the power shifts to us!

You see, Eric can't afford to waste what's left of his career holding out. Yeah, he can decide not to play for the Bills in 2006. But what does that get him? No pay and a lost year! And he's in the same boat in 2007! Eric will either play, or get serious about making a deal with another team.

And the rest of the NFL? If somebody wants Eric bad enough, and once they realize Marv won't blink, they will come to the table. If the Broncos or Eagles need Moulds, they won't let him waste a year holding out. The key here is the Bills HAVE THE CAP SPACE TO KEEP ERIC! So we don't have to do anything we don;t want! Get it?

PTR

This is a game of chicken.  Who will jump out of the way of the train first?   Moulds and the rest of the NFL is betting Levy and the Bills will get nervous and cut Moulds.  But what if Buffalo keeps him?  Then the power shifts to us!

641647[/snapback]

Of course, Moulds can show up, B word and moan, loaf around, sit on the bench and poison the atmosphere, and still get paid.

The Bills have no power and the whole league knows it. With Peerless a few years ago, we were willing to pay him franchise salary for the year so somebody needed to trade for him. It's pretty clear to me the Bills will not pay Moulds this year.

This is a game of chicken.  Who will jump out of the way of the train first?  Moulds and the rest of the NFL is betting Levy and the Bills will get nervous and cut Moulds.  But what if Buffalo keeps him?  Then the power shifts to us!

You see, Eric can't afford to waste what's left of his career holding out.  Yeah, he can decide not to play for the Bills in 2006.  But what does that get him?  No pay and a lost year!  And he's in the same boat in 2007!  Eric will either play, or get serious about making a deal with another team.

And the rest of the NFL?  If somebody wants Eric bad enough, and once they realize Marv won't blink, they will come to the table.  If the Broncos or Eagles need Moulds, they won't let him waste a year holding out.  The key here is the Bills HAVE THE CAP SPACE TO KEEP ERIC!  So we don't have to do anything we don;t want!  Get it?

PTR

641647[/snapback]

I could not agree with you more on this, Promo. We will get something for him...and it will not be from the Patsies!

I agree with the original post.  I dont think we'll get any serious offers since teams will just assume the Bills wont keep an 8 million contract on their payroll if Moulds refuses to play and will eventually cut him. 

And yes, if he doesnt play...he doesnt get paid at all...but we STILL have to keep that huge contract on payroll and make room for it, so it seems kind of a waste to do so.  Moulds is trying to force the Bills to cut him...not trade him to get some sort of compensation...but to just cut him.

And I think eventually thats just what we'll do.  It sucks...but tis the reality of the NFL.

641619[/snapback]

Eric Moulds will not be getting cut by the Bills and you can take that to the bank. Doing so would be opening up a huge pandoras box on all future player negotiations on a team that is one of the least attractive places to play in the league. If a player wanted out all they'd have to do is hold their breath to get their release. Aint gonna happen. Eric signed a contract and if another team wants him they will have to trade with the Bills to get him. Otherwise he will have to play football on the Bills or he won't get payed. There are no high priced free agents left that the Bills will be needing Eric's salary for so they are not going to be blackmailed by his or his agents threats. So the Bills will either be getting draft picks for Eric or he'll be on our team in 2006. I laugh when I hear these so called NFL experts saying that the Bills will release Eric. :lol:

joe, nyc: Jeremy... whats up with the Bills QB spot?!?!?!

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (5:59 PM ET ) It stinks. One young QB who can't play and a veteran who isn't very good either. They should play Holcomb because he gives the m the best chance to win. The bad part about Losman is that he isn't very good, but more than that, his teamates don't like or respect him. You can't win with a guy at QB that the players do not believe in.

Eric Moulds will not be getting cut by the Bills and you can take that to the bank.

641667[/snapback]

I think there is a greater chance of him getting cut than Ralph forking out over $6,000,000 in real money to teach a lesson.

Hopefully we can get something in a trade, but if Moulds is unwilling to renegotiate his contract, he won't be playing for the Bills this year.

ok so Moulds stays with the Bills but refuses to play so the Bills don't have to pay him...and by this point all the free agents are gone.........so what do you do?? I say you give Nate Clements some huge 1st year base salary of like 10-11 million that way you have room to work the following years because he has gotten his payday and you can make the following years much more cap friendly. This way you're not prorating a huge bonus out over the life of the contract and you have a top tier corner for around 3 million a season after that......just a thought

I think there is a greater chance of him getting cut than Ralph forking out over $6,000,000 in real money to teach a lesson.

641722[/snapback]

Huh? Not sure what you meant here. How is it teaching him a lesson if Moulds plays for the Bills this year? He did sign a contract, correct? If you mean that Ralph will pay $6,000,000 after he fails to show up and play a full season, well then there's a better chance of pigs flying before that happens.

Huh? Not sure what you meant here. How is it teaching him a lesson if Moulds plays for the Bills this year? He did sign a contract, correct? If you mean that Ralph will pay $6,000,000 after he fails to show up and play a full season, well then there's a better chance of pigs flying before that happens.

641747[/snapback]

Why would Moulds hold out? All Moulds has to do is show up - he doesn't have to perform because his contract isn't full of incentives. Do you think the Bills will pay $6 million for an unmotivated "Miami game" Moulds?

Moulds AND the Bills signed the contract - the Bills don't want to pay him $6,000,000 and Moulds doesn't want to play here for less. Moulds can't void the contract but he can play like crap.

The lesson was reference to your earlier post about opening a pandora's box.

You think the Bills will just waste all of that cap space on Eric Moulds if he refuses to play?  Sure EVENTUALLY we'll get the cap space back if he continues to sit, but by that time FA will be long over.  Wouldnt that be a huge blow to this team's attempt to get better by having a guy who wont play tie up that much cash that could be better spent improving this team? 

If he sits...we get nothing.  If we cut him, at least we free up some cash.

641632[/snapback]

don't seem to be many free agents worth spending the money on.

Bills will keep Mouolds under contract until they can work a trade, even if takes until camp

don't seem to be many free agents worth spending the money on.

Bills will keep Mouolds under contract until they can work a trade, even if takes until camp

641844[/snapback]

What about after the start of camp?

Forget the cap or other free agents - do you think Ralph will pay $6,000,000+ this year for Moulds? If Moulds is here for opening day, he's owed that money.

oh my god. wake up and smell the coffee, folks. moulds will not be on the bills next year. everyone should always remember that it's not merely a salary cap number we're talking about. ralph wilson, working from his own opinions and the advice of the guys running the operation, does not want to give over $7 million to eric moulds, a guy who is in the team's doghouse for a variety of reasons. it's pretty freakin' simple.

I also disagree and I think that it is the BILLS who hold all the cards...

The only way the bills would be at a disadvantage is if they were in salary cap trouble.....given the fact that we have plenty of cap left we could easily keep Moulds salary on the books this next year......

Find yourself a trade Eric or prepare to play for the bills next year....

I also disagree and I think that it is the BILLS who hold all the cards...

The only way the bills would be at a disadvantage is if they were in salary cap trouble.....given the fact that we have plenty of cap left we could easily keep Moulds salary on the books this next year......

Find yourself a trade Eric or prepare to play for the bills next year....

641883[/snapback]

john, moulds will not be playing for the bills next year for the very simple reason that ralph wilson and his advisors on the team don't want to give him over $7 million of ralph wilson's money to him next year. wilson actually cares about his own money.

john, moulds will not be playing for the bills next year for the very simple reason that ralph wilson and his advisors on the team don't want to give him over $7 million of ralph wilson's money to him next year. wilson actually cares about his own money.

641884[/snapback]

Dave, it's not Ralph's money...it's freakin' cap money! It would go to someone else, if it didn't go to Moulds. So the argument about saving Ralph money is totally absurd. The Bills will not let Moulds walk scott free to a another team, especially the Patriots. If for no other reason, the Bills keep him.

You know, if the Bills front office thought like the chicken little's on this board, we'd be in a world of hurt!

PTR

Of course, Moulds can show up, B word and moan, loaf around, sit on the bench and poison the atmosphere, and still get paid.

The Bills have no power and the whole league knows it.  With Peerless a few years ago, we were willing to pay him franchise salary for the year so somebody needed to trade for him.  It's pretty clear to me the Bills will not pay Moulds this year.

641657[/snapback]

Marv Levy is smart enough to know that Moulds is not going to poison the atmosphere. They will send his a$$ home before that happens. And I like I said in an earlier post, Moulds only has 2 years left, tops! He is not going to flush a year being a crybaby!!!!

Levy and Modrak KNOW what they are doing. They are letting Moulds stew in his juices. The Bills will not be pushed around by Eric or any of the vultures around the NFL waiting for us to simply let Moulds walk.

IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!

PTR

If Moulds has the leverage than why is his "personal advisors" trying to find a trade partner? I guess that they are just being nice guys. If I remember correctly Travis Henry stated that he would sit out. Well, we got a decent 1st day pick for his crying ways. I hope the tears pour out of Moulds face, maybe we can get a 2nd rder.

If it is just the question of the likelihood of Moulds getting cut, then yes, he holds the cards. Buffalo is already on record as saying they want him to take a pay cut.

But you all seem to be forgetting something. The Bills do not have to go into the season with him on the roster to gain leverage. The longer they wait, the less likely it will be that Moulds will get a decent contract. If he pushes too hard, the bills can cut him in July or August after all the cap money has dried up.

Game set match. As long as Marv isn't a pushover Buffalo regains the upper hand and forces a trade that returns reasonable value. The only way Moulds could screw us now is if he is willing to cut off his nose to spite his face, so to speak...

What about after the start of camp?

Forget the cap or other free agents - do you think Ralph will pay $6,000,000+ this year for Moulds?  If Moulds is here for opening day, he's owed that money.

641848[/snapback]

Mould's 2006 salary is not guaranteed until the 1st regular season game.

So Bills could cut him, ala Lawyer Milloy by Pats, teh week before the season starts.

Or they could keep him as teh season starts, and trade him like Jags did with Keenan McCardell to a team who loses a WR to injury like the Packers lost WAlker in game 1 last year.

If Moulds has the leverage than why is his "personal advisors" trying to find a trade partner? I guess that they are just being nice guys. If I remember correctly Travis Henry stated that he would sit out. Well, we got a decent 1st day pick for his crying ways. I hope the tears pour out of Moulds face, maybe we can get a 2nd rder.

641918[/snapback]

Travis wasn't due to be paid the amount of money that Moulds is due, so that's not a valid comparison.

The reason his advisors are looking for a trade partner is simple - Marv couldn't find one. The problem for the Bills is that they can't renegotiate Moulds' contract for the new team, only Moulds can. Nobody will trade for Moulds without a new contract - only Moulds knows what he will accept so Moulds need to work it out.

641619[/snapback]

What's wrong with Moulds wanting the Bills to live up to the contract they signed? The Bills wil be the ones walking away. Bills came to Moulds looking to cut his pay. He's not looking for a raise. The Bills are the ones holding Moulds out on a string. If they don't plan to keep him then they are just screwing him over by not releasing him. :lol:

But you all seem to be forgetting something.  The Bills do not have to go into the season with him on the roster to gain leverage.  The longer they wait, the less likely it will be that Moulds will get a decent contract.  If he pushes too hard, the bills can cut him in July or August after all the cap money has dried up.

641947[/snapback]

I completely agree with your point, but I don't believe the Bills need leverage with Moulds because he's not playing here this year.

The only advantage of a team trading for Moulds is that they will not have other teams competing for a new contract. If teams feel like he wants too much money, why bother trading for his rights? NOBODY is going to honor his current contract. The sooner he figures that out, the easier it will be to move him.

What's wrong with Moulds wanting the Bills to live up to the contract they signed? The Bills wil be the ones walking away. Bills came to Moulds looking to cut his pay. He's not looking for a raise. The Bills are the ones holding Moulds out on a string. If they don't plan to keep him then they are just screwing him over by not releasing him. :lol:

642000[/snapback]

The Bills are living up to the contract - they have the right to cut Moulds and void the remaining years on the contract. I look at the signing bonus player's receive as their compensation for the team's right to void the contract.

Yes, I'll echo the sentiments that the Bills don't have to do ANYTHING with Moulds until just before the 1st game of the season (the Friday before, IIRC). And if he's on the roster AFTER that, his salary is guaranteed, and he sits out, they can recoup as much of his salary as the time he misses. So it would behoove Eric to when talking to teams, agree to take a big paycut so as to get out of Buffalo. It's basically up to him. But the Bills will NOT be cutting him anytime in the next 5 months.

So Bills could cut him, ala Lawyer Milloy by Pats, teh week before the season starts.

641978[/snapback]

I think that's a great comparison. Do you not think the Pats tried to trade Lawyer before they cut him? I think he was still considered a top safety at the time and they couldn't find a trading partner.

oh my god. wake up and smell the coffee, folks. moulds will not  be on the bills next year. everyone should always remember that it's not merely a salary cap number we're talking about. ralph wilson, working from his own opinions and the advice of the guys running the operation, does not want to give over $7 million to eric moulds, a guy who is in the team's doghouse for a variety of reasons. it's pretty freakin' simple.

641881[/snapback]

A $7,000,000 annual salary, while a couple of million too large for the one of the Bill's best offensive weapons is not that outrageous. Has anyone seen what Charles Woodson was making last season? At least Moulds has been a team leader (sans Miami game) for the Bills for a long time. Moulds has also been the main draw for those season tickets TD was selling for a long time. Eric Moulds made a TON of money for Ralph. The man can still play at a high level, pay him his money or trade him away from our division.