Espn Chat with Jeremy Green

Ruffalo1

Omar-Buffalo: What's the deal with Eric Moulds? Where might he end up and what can the Bills get for him?

Jeremy Green: (4:26 PM ET ) I think he is going to end up in New England or Philadelphia. I don't think they will get anything from him. His cap # is huge and everyone knows they will eventually cut him.

I agree with the original post. I dont think we'll get any serious offers since teams will just assume the Bills wont keep an 8 million contract on their payroll if Moulds refuses to play and will eventually cut him.

Moulds holds all the cards here.

And yes, if he doesnt play...he doesnt get paid at all...but we STILL have to keep that huge contract on payroll and make room for it, so it seems kind of a waste to do so. Moulds is trying to force the Bills to cut him...not trade him to get some sort of compensation...but to just cut him.

And I think eventually thats just what we'll do. It sucks...but tis the reality of the NFL.

I really don't think it's a given that they WILL eventually cut him.

641612[/snapback]

Exactly. they can keep him and if he decides not to show up, he'll only cost the cap hit that he'll cost if he's moved anyway.

Omar-Buffalo: What's the deal with Eric Moulds? Where might he end up and what can the Bills get for him?

Jeremy Green: (4:26 PM ET ) I think he is going to end up in New England or Philadelphia. I don't think they will get anything from him. His cap # is huge and everyone knows they will eventually cut him.

641609[/snapback]

Wrong-o! The Bills can afford to keep Eric, and will if no decent deal is offered. If Eric refuses to play, all the better for us. The Bills hold the cards when it comes to Eric Moulds.

PTR

I agree with the original post.  I dont think we'll get any serious offers since teams will just assume the Bills wont keep an 8 million contract on their payroll if Moulds refuses to play and will eventually cut him. 

And yes, if he doesnt play...he doesnt get paid at all...but we STILL have to keep that huge contract on payroll and make room for it, so it seems kind of a waste to do so.  Moulds is trying to force the Bills to cut him...not trade him to get some sort of compensation...but to just cut him.

And I think eventually thats just what we'll do.  It sucks...but tis the reality of the NFL.

641619[/snapback]

I disagree...The Bills will keep Moulds under contract and force him to find a trade (and NOT to the Patriots!!) The Bills have enough cap space to do it. There is no way Moulds can force Levy's hand.

PTR

Wrong-o!  The Bills can afford to keep Eric, and will if no decent deal is offered.  If Eric refuses to play, all the better for us.  The Bills hold the cards when it comes to Eric Moulds.

PTR

641627[/snapback]

You think the Bills will just waste all of that cap space on Eric Moulds if he refuses to play? Sure EVENTUALLY we'll get the cap space back if he continues to sit, but by that time FA will be long over. Wouldnt that be a huge blow to this team's attempt to get better by having a guy who wont play tie up that much cash that could be better spent improving this team?

If he sits...we get nothing. If we cut him, at least we free up some cash.

To me Eric knows what he's doing...its low, but he's getting his ticket out of Buffalo one way or another.

You think the Bills will just waste all of that cap space on Eric Moulds if he refuses to play?  Sure EVENTUALLY we'll get the cap space back if he continues to sit, but by that time FA will be long over.  Wouldnt that be a huge blow to this team's attempt to get better by having a guy who wont play tie up that much cash that could be better spent improving this team? 

If he sits...we get nothing.  If we cut him, at least we free up some cash.

To me Eric knows what he's doing...its low, but he's getting his ticket out of Buffalo one way or another.

641632[/snapback]

This is a game of chicken. Who will jump out of the way of the train first? Moulds and the rest of the NFL is betting Levy and the Bills will get nervous and cut Moulds. But what if Buffalo keeps him? Then the power shifts to us!

You see, Eric can't afford to waste what's left of his career holding out. Yeah, he can decide not to play for the Bills in 2006. But what does that get him? No pay and a lost year! And he's in the same boat in 2007! Eric will either play, or get serious about making a deal with another team.

And the rest of the NFL? If somebody wants Eric bad enough, and once they realize Marv won't blink, they will come to the table. If the Broncos or Eagles need Moulds, they won't let him waste a year holding out. The key here is the Bills HAVE THE CAP SPACE TO KEEP ERIC! So we don't have to do anything we don;t want! Get it?

PTR

This is a game of chicken.  Who will jump out of the way of the train first?   Moulds and the rest of the NFL is betting Levy and the Bills will get nervous and cut Moulds.  But what if Buffalo keeps him?  Then the power shifts to us!

641647[/snapback]

Of course, Moulds can show up, B word and moan, loaf around, sit on the bench and poison the atmosphere, and still get paid.

The Bills have no power and the whole league knows it. With Peerless a few years ago, we were willing to pay him franchise salary for the year so somebody needed to trade for him. It's pretty clear to me the Bills will not pay Moulds this year.

This is a game of chicken.  Who will jump out of the way of the train first?  Moulds and the rest of the NFL is betting Levy and the Bills will get nervous and cut Moulds.  But what if Buffalo keeps him?  Then the power shifts to us!

You see, Eric can't afford to waste what's left of his career holding out.  Yeah, he can decide not to play for the Bills in 2006.  But what does that get him?  No pay and a lost year!  And he's in the same boat in 2007!  Eric will either play, or get serious about making a deal with another team.

And the rest of the NFL?  If somebody wants Eric bad enough, and once they realize Marv won't blink, they will come to the table.  If the Broncos or Eagles need Moulds, they won't let him waste a year holding out.  The key here is the Bills HAVE THE CAP SPACE TO KEEP ERIC!  So we don't have to do anything we don;t want!  Get it?

PTR

641647[/snapback]

I could not agree with you more on this, Promo. We will get something for him...and it will not be from the Patsies!

I agree with the original post.  I dont think we'll get any serious offers since teams will just assume the Bills wont keep an 8 million contract on their payroll if Moulds refuses to play and will eventually cut him. 

And yes, if he doesnt play...he doesnt get paid at all...but we STILL have to keep that huge contract on payroll and make room for it, so it seems kind of a waste to do so.  Moulds is trying to force the Bills to cut him...not trade him to get some sort of compensation...but to just cut him.

And I think eventually thats just what we'll do.  It sucks...but tis the reality of the NFL.

641619[/snapback]

Eric Moulds will not be getting cut by the Bills and you can take that to the bank. Doing so would be opening up a huge pandoras box on all future player negotiations on a team that is one of the least attractive places to play in the league. If a player wanted out all they'd have to do is hold their breath to get their release. Aint gonna happen. Eric signed a contract and if another team wants him they will have to trade with the Bills to get him. Otherwise he will have to play football on the Bills or he won't get payed. There are no high priced free agents left that the Bills will be needing Eric's salary for so they are not going to be blackmailed by his or his agents threats. So the Bills will either be getting draft picks for Eric or he'll be on our team in 2006. I laugh when I hear these so called NFL experts saying that the Bills will release Eric. :lol:

joe, nyc: Jeremy... whats up with the Bills QB spot?!?!?!

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (5:59 PM ET ) It stinks. One young QB who can't play and a veteran who isn't very good either. They should play Holcomb because he gives the m the best chance to win. The bad part about Losman is that he isn't very good, but more than that, his teamates don't like or respect him. You can't win with a guy at QB that the players do not believe in.

Eric Moulds will not be getting cut by the Bills and you can take that to the bank.

641667[/snapback]

I think there is a greater chance of him getting cut than Ralph forking out over $6,000,000 in real money to teach a lesson.

Hopefully we can get something in a trade, but if Moulds is unwilling to renegotiate his contract, he won't be playing for the Bills this year.

ok so Moulds stays with the Bills but refuses to play so the Bills don't have to pay him...and by this point all the free agents are gone.........so what do you do?? I say you give Nate Clements some huge 1st year base salary of like 10-11 million that way you have room to work the following years because he has gotten his payday and you can make the following years much more cap friendly. This way you're not prorating a huge bonus out over the life of the contract and you have a top tier corner for around 3 million a season after that......just a thought

I think there is a greater chance of him getting cut than Ralph forking out over $6,000,000 in real money to teach a lesson.

641722[/snapback]

Huh? Not sure what you meant here. How is it teaching him a lesson if Moulds plays for the Bills this year? He did sign a contract, correct? If you mean that Ralph will pay $6,000,000 after he fails to show up and play a full season, well then there's a better chance of pigs flying before that happens.