I like what Willis is pitching

Beerball

Linked on the front page, but I like this snippet:

Unlike a year ago, when McGahee spent most of last spring working out on his own in his native Miami, he was among the first group of Bills veterans to report for the team's voluntary offseason conditioning program in Orchard Park.

"It's a fresh start," McGahee said. "Just trying to do things differently."

There was also mention in the article about Willis being frustrated in coming out of the game on 3rd down, and in goal line situations. Didn't meathead say Willis was tired? :doh: Oh, then there's also the packages. :blush: I got a package for you meathead. :lol:

OK, back to the positives...it's nice to hear Willis saying the right things. Has anyone reported on which players (outside of Willis and Evans) are taking part in the voluntary workouts?

Didn't many here at TSW say it was a definate the Willis was going to holding out for a new contract?

I never did understand why our #1 RB was NEVER in on 3rd down or goal line plays!!!!!!! It will be interesting to see how the new staff uses the running game this year.

willis is a workhorse and should be used that way.......he gets better as the game moves on, gets in his flow, and wears down his opponent........and on that top of that, he is a decent receiver!.......willis was defanitely underused by the previous staff.......

now if only we can get some blocking for him!

There was also mention in the article about Willis being frustrated in coming out of the game on 3rd down, and in goal line situations.  Didn't meathead say Willis was tired? :doh:   Oh, then there's also the packages. :blush:   I got a package for you meathead. :lol:

OK, back to the positives...it's nice to hear Willis saying the right things.  Has anyone reported on which players (outside of Willis and Evans) are taking part in the voluntary workouts?

641094[/snapback]

From the Bills' web site...

"Lee Evans, London Fletcher, J.P. Losman, Willis McGahee, Terrence McGee, and Josh Reed are among the large group of Bills players taking part in the team's offseason conditioning program, which officially kicked off Monday at One Bills Drive."

Offseason Conditioning Program Underway

Good news, I think.

From the Bills' web site...

"Lee Evans, London Fletcher, J.P. Losman, Willis McGahee, Terrence McGee, and Josh Reed are among the large group of Bills players taking part in the team's offseason conditioning program, which officially kicked off Monday at One Bills Drive."

Offseason Conditioning Program Underway

Good news, I think.

641125[/snapback]

I agree that is great. I understand London has been there for a while working out at the facility and reviewing game film. I am not surprised to see those names as among those in attendence. They are the guys Marv wants this team to evolove around. I am a little surprised to not see Holcomb's name there, and where is Nate? I really hope Fowler is there. I'd love to know he is already working on snapping it to J.P.

I agree that is great. I understand London has been there for a while working out at the facility and reviewing game film. I am not surprised to see those names as among those in attendence. They are the guys Marv wants this team to evolove around. I am a little surprised to not see Holcomb's name there, and where is Nate? I really hope Fowler is there. I'd love to know he is already working on snapping it to J.P.

641132[/snapback]

like most f-tagged players, i doubt nate will report before camp.........that is his leverage in the situation......

641132[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing about Holcomb. Doesn't he think he needs the extra work - especially with his puny arm? He'll be carrying a clipboard behind JP & Nall this Fall, if he's still around.

Good to see Kevin Everett coming back, too.

I am a little surprised to not see Holcomb's name there, and where is Nate? I really hope Fowler is there. I'd love to know he is already working on snapping it to J.P.

641132[/snapback]

Holcomb is working out as well. There was a quote from Nall when he came in to tour the facilities where he said that Holcomb and Losman were both in the gym and he was happy to see their work ethic.

"J.P. and Kelly were both in the weight room when I toured the facilities, and just from the looks of things, I know they have a good work ethic," said Nall, who also said he is looking forward to being reuinited with former LSU teammates, wide receiver Josh Reed and tight end Robert Royal, along with former NSU teammate, cornerback Terrence McGee.

But wait...all I've read on this board is that McGahee is a "me first" guy who doesn't care about the team or winning, and wants out of Buffalo in the worst way. What gives?

Oh, now I remember. 95% of posters on message boards have their heads up their asses.

Different folks find different primary appeals from the entertainment of the NFL, so it is not surprising that there are some posts in this thread from folks who are simply looking for some player not be at workouts so they can call him a slacker.

Some love it for the football detail (my own way too long posts are an example of this), some folks love it because it represents the region they live in. Some folks hace a passing interest in it and are all over it when we are winning and couldn't care less about it when we are losing.

Whatever, vive la difference and there is no rule which requires us all to be the same.

However, I will take this opportunity to say that perhaps the most annoying "Bills fans" are those who seem primarily attracted to and entertained by a soap opera view of the game. Some seem to pretend that they actually know the players, drives and motivations merely from what they see for 3 hours and change a week on the field and the selective biased reports of the media (even when we see on TV or hear on the radio a report there is potentially great bias and untruth which can be presented as these bites lack the context of the entire interview. Even many single quotes need to cross-referenced with other sources before we believe them totally).

While folks showing up to participate in the off-season workout proram is a good sign and some of their stated reasons for doing this sound very good for our team (like Wiilis' comments) this does not mean at all that simply because a player is not here he is a slacker or a bad player. If gold star attendance is so simportant to some folks they should make inquiries whether the absence is excused by the Bills braintrust.

Actually players do not even need a official excuse from these "voluntary" workouts. However. particularly with a new HC and expectation of attendance can be very strong

I see no signs of Jauron team-building in this way, though GW tried to push attendance as a big deal when he came aboard. The irony of this was that reality struck rather quickly in that the Bills acquired Larry Centers and almost immediately GW who actually was an active Centers advocate of him being a prototype class act. GW made noises that he "expected" every Bill to be here for volountary conditioning and training programs.

Centers informed GW and the world that he had built a clear record and rep of showing up on time and in shape when the mandatory workouts began. In fact he felt better about his routine and the equipment he was used to using at home and felt he would get a worse worjout if he was yukking it up with his teammates at the Bills session.

GW shut up.

All in all is it significant that someone is here? You bet, By being here WM shows that he wants to do things differently his year and his investing in the collective of the team rather than individualism of working out at the U.

However, it may not be significant at all if a player is not here. Folks like Centers and WM have been committed to working out and though theree is a bakance to be struck by the need to build a sense of team which can only be done when all are gere, in general the key is for the player to not pull a Mike Williams and show up ready to play. A platyer does not have to attend voluntary workouts to do this.

Also, there are some cases where if a player actually came to the workout to hang with the boys and in doing so was not around for some important familial moment (like helping his wife have a baby, or saying goodbye to a dying parent, I'd be mor worried that the player blew off something important because he needed to workout.

The mentions in this thread of a theory that Holcomb was not here, that WM was going to hold out this year, or that his attendance or WGR rumor is truly the measure of a player's character is just sopa opera trash as far as I am concerned.

Yet, it is a free country and people are ebtitled to their own opinion even if it is baseless and silly. I just hope with the demise of "Whitey" as a Bill and other major changes that posters will focus more the actual occurences on the field of play rather than backroom soap opera theory about who said what to whom and what dolks really think.

The best thing about this offseason so far is that Willis is lighter and ready to wreck havoc on defenses next year and ,there has not been one article about how much JP Losman is studying.

Im hoping he goes under the radar and has less pressure on him entering camp so he can concentrate on becoming a better football player and not on the politics of being a 1st round QB.

Lets hope that it pays off ON THE FIELD...I hate to say it, but so far, he hasn't lived up to the hype. Don't get me wrong though...I love the guy, I just want him to have a great career IN Buffalo!

Didn't meathead say Willis was tired? :doh:  Oh, then there's also the packages. :blush:  I got a package for you meathead. :lol:

Back when Mularkey was our coach I cringed when people called him meathead. Now that he is a Dolphin, I kind of like the name.