What the HELL is going on in the Sopranos

Wow, this season is on the verge of sucking and ruining the reputation of the entire series like Rocky 5 did. 

C'mon, Tony dead?

635648[/snapback]

Wrong board and my Tivo is set so I can watch it when I get home. Thanks though.

Incredible episode. The same people who will say it was "boring and dumb" are the same people who complain because there hasn't been as much violence the last few seasons. The acting on this show has reached new heights...Edie Falco has always been great and tonight was no exception.

AJ's words to his dad (I won't get into details for those who haven't seen it) were shocking...it'll definitely be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Incredible episode.  The same people who will say it was "boring and dumb" are the same people who complain because there hasn't been as much violence the last few seasons.  The acting on this show has reached new heights...Edie Falco has always been great and tonight was no exception. 

AJ's words to his dad (I won't get into details for those who haven't seen it) were shocking...it'll definitely be interesting to see how this all plays out.

635661[/snapback]

I agree... I can't believe someone started a thread bashing this episode. Apparently a lot of people watch the show to see people get "whacked". I thought it was on of the best eipsodes ever.

I agree... I can't believe someone started a thread bashing this episode. Apparently a lot of people watch the show to see people get "whacked". I thought it was on of the best eipsodes ever.

635663[/snapback]

Sorry, but I can't agree. They waited 2 years to put this tripe on the tube.

They got nothin' left and are trying to milk one more season out of a show that pretty much sucked the last season it aired as well. So TS is dreaming about what his life would be like outside the "Family". Doesn't work for me...

No, I don't watch to see people get whacked but this story started out as a darkly humorous look at life inside the head of a neurotic mobster and is turning into Falcon Crest.

Maybe it's because I watched "Good Fellas" this afternoon to remind me what a mob story is supposed to be like. But I was disappointed at the last season and tonight's show looks like last week's episode, which I thought was good, was an anomaly. :doh:

My $.02...

I thought it was a pretty strong episode, myself. Granted, there was not a LOT going on, but I think what they tried to do was really allow us to feel like we're right in the middle of what's going on with Tony. We're allowed to see things from the perspective of those involed, and on a pretty intimate level. I'll aslo echo the scene with AJ and Tony.....that was awesome. It's not a typical Sopranos season so far, that's for sure. But give it a chance, guys.....it's only the second episode!

Terrible. It was weak and contrived. There should be no crap episodes after waiting 2+ years. For the first three seasons there was not one bad episode. The last few there have been a few clunkers. After the long dream sequence episode in the last season, did we really need another one? I don't want to think and try and figure out what the writer is trying to convey in his imagery. It's not art. I just want to watch the show, enjoy it for what it is and see some people get whacked. Quite a letdown after a great opener.

Terrible. It was weak and contrived. There should be no crap episodes after waiting 2+ years. For the first three seasons there was not one bad episode. The last few there have been a few clunkers. After the long dream sequence episode in the last season, did we really need another one? I don't want to think and try and figure out what the writer is trying to convey in his imagery. It's not art. I just want to watch the show, enjoy it for what it is and see some people get whacked. Quite a letdown after a great opener.

635714[/snapback]

Yeah, God forbid we actually have to think..... :doh:

Whatever you do, don't watch the movie 'Memento'.

Thumbs up from me. The coma dreams were a little disconcerting, but Gandolfini needs & deserves his screen time... and the non-coma scenes were great, really anticipating the upcoming developments that they are laying the groundwork for.

Sorry, but I can't agree. They waited 2 years to put this tripe on the tube.

They got nothin' left and are trying to milk one more season out of a show that pretty much sucked the last season it aired as well. So TS is dreaming about what his life would be like outside the "Family". Doesn't work for me...

No, I don't watch to see people get whacked but this story started out as a darkly humorous look at life inside the head of a neurotic mobster and is turning into Falcon Crest.

Maybe it's because I watched "Good Fellas" this afternoon to remind me what a mob story is supposed to be like. But I was disappointed at the last season and tonight's show looks like last week's episode, which I thought was good, was an anomaly.  :doh:

My $.02...

635687[/snapback]

Yeah I couldn't have articulated my thoughts as well but that is how I feel too.

Last week was just lame. They revolve a whole show around some guy we barely know?

It's not art.

635714[/snapback]

Sure it is. Good stories, at any level or in any form are art. Even bad stories are art. But like all art, it's in the eye of the beholder. So most of the time (not all of the time) there is no way to know if it is "good art" or "bad art" since so much of it comes from inside you anyway.

Not to defend this episode (I thought it was good, not great, but worthwhile) -- but who says that Tony stuff was a dream? I interpreted it more that he was in purgatory (or something similar). He wasn't imagining what his life would have been like had he not been in the family as much as he was stuck in this netherworld. He was induced into a comma, thus he couldn't leave. That is why he didn't have his wallet, couldn't get a room, and why he couldn't call home at the end. He was stuck between worlds. A lot of religious imagry throughout the comma sequences etc. It had a lot of indepth imagry as far as that goes -- a lot of it very subtle.

The real life stuff going on was good as always. A fight for power within the family, AJ making a turn (similar path as Tony, getting kicked out of college after only a semester -- dying father etc).

I dunno, I found it entertaining but a bit of a let down from last week's opener.

I thought it was a great episode. Get used to the coma because I think that Tony is going to be out of commission for a while. It looks like there is going to be a power struggle between Sylvio and the Capos.

I think that Vito is going to be this seasons main antagonist. Finn is coming back to town next week. Creepy that Vito wanted to give AJ a ride home. Vito also has been working with Phil.

I thought it was a great episode.  Get used to the coma because I think that Tony is going to be out of commission for a while.  It looks like there is going to be a power struggle between Sylvio and the Capos. 

I think that Vito is going to be this seasons main antagonist.  Finn is coming back to town next week.  Creepy that Vito wanted to give AJ a ride home.  Vito also has been working with Phil.

635804[/snapback]

I took that to mean that the boys were fighting over who could do the most for the family, as that would leave them in Tony's good graces when he got better. For instance, Chris insisting he buy the stereo for the hospital room. Funny when Vito implied that the guy who kiiled himself last week maybe offed himself because he "was a homo with no one he could tell".

Also found it interesting at his funeral that the comment he was lucky cause he was dead was a very good insight to this mob life.

I thought this episode was excellant. As others mentioned, Eddie Falco was just outstanding. Was not expecting her to go off on AJ at the end, thought it would be a 'lets not worry bout that till your dad gets better" moment, but thats why I love this show.

I amstill not sure about what everything meant in the dream sequence. But as i rewatch again, will prolly have more ideas.

As Gary Coleman proved before his untimely death ;) ...Different strokes for different folks.

I enjoyed the episode. Much going on...Meadow & her relationship. Infighting among the Captains. AJ. Carm.

Who the heck was Tony's wife on the phone? It wasn't Carm's voice, it was one that I recognized but couldn't place. Was is the Doc? An old flame?

Yet to be seen...how New York responds to the vacuum. ;)

Some people just want to see a longer version of "Goodfellas" and "The Godfather". Whatever, to each his own. All of those things have been done, over and over again. I think ABC, NBC, and FOX all tried to have "dumbed down" versions of the"Sopranos" over the years, and all failed miserably....

Personaly, I thought it was another very strong episode....I get the feeling what is actually going on goes right over a lot of peoples heads at times...I am glad Chase doesn't cater to the masses, or else this show would suck, like most things on television...I am glad they take their time telling the story, and that they don't make every characters' motives clear all of the time...you really have to think of this show as one long movie, and not see it in segments, to really appreciate it...

I loved the line where Pauly offers to drive AJ home "C'mon Van Helsing" Great stuff....

Incredible episode.  The same people who will say it was "boring and dumb" are the same people who complain because there hasn't been as much violence the last few seasons.  The acting on this show has reached new heights...Edie Falco has always been great and tonight was no exception. 

635661[/snapback]

MUMMY HEAD??? ;)

Who the heck was Tony's wife on the phone?  It wasn't Carm's voice, it was one that I recognized but couldn't place.  Was is the Doc?  An old flame?

I think that its safe to assume that if/when we see her, it'll be the Dr.

Some people just want to see a longer version of "Goodfellas" and "The Godfather".  Whatever, to each his own. All of those things have been done, over and over again.  I think ABC, NBC, and FOX all tried to have "dumbed down" versions of the"Sopranos" over the years, and all failed miserably....

Personaly, I thought it was another very strong episode....I get the feeling what is actually going on goes right over a lot of peoples heads at times...I am glad Chase doesn't cater to the masses, or else this show would suck, like most things on television...I am glad they take their time telling the story, and that they don't make every characters' motives clear all of the time...you really have to think of this show as one long movie, and not see it in segments, to really appreciate it...

I loved the line where Pauly offers to drive AJ home "C'mon Van Helsing"  Great stuff....

635919[/snapback]

i agree. i didn't think the show was the most entertaining but i think the show has passed that. i have watched all sopranos seasons twice and don't mind sitting through a few boring episodes to see how this folds out.

I was thinking it was Anabella as well...I have dreamt of her a time or two!

636169[/snapback]

You and me both! ;)

Loved this episode! I like action and I like murders, but I also appreciate the slow episodes that build the drama and give the characters more depth.

Quick thoughts on future storylines:

1. Van Helsing ( :lol: ) thinking he's Michael Corleone by the end of this series...with Fredo Corleone results?

2. Power struggle of Vito vs. the crew while Tony S. isn't around...Finn could be in some deep sh--, and yes that was an intentional pun!

3. NJ vs. NY power struggle - Phil is gonna play a HUGE role in the coming episodes.

4. I don't think we've seen the last of Pontecorvo's wife. Wasn't she also the woman in Tony's dream? Just too many people around who resent Tony S. now...

It was a great episode. Wouldn't it be horrible if Tony did die. I don't think he will, but they sure make you think like he will. I think this season might turn out to be better than the last. Last year was pretty crappy.

Also, The Sopranos isn't like "Goodfellas", and thats what makes it so good, that its different. Its always had a different dynamic, which is what makes it such a good show. Its not stale.

I think the wifes voice was Charmane Bucco.

It was a great episode.  Wouldn't it be horrible if Tony did die.  I don't think he will, but they sure make you think like he will.  I think this season might turn out to be better than the last.  Last year was pretty crappy.

Also, The Sopranos isn't like "Goodfellas", and thats what makes it so good, that its different.  Its always had a different dynamic, which is what makes it such a good show.  Its not stale.

636485[/snapback]

Good point, it could've been Charmaigne's...but I immediately thought Gloria Trillo's. If it's Gloria's voice all the stuff Tony was saying about "I'll be home soon" "I'm coming home", etc. could be interesting because she's (as we know) dead.

I thought last night's was a phenomenal episode and I'm looking forward to watching the replay tonight to try and pick out any stuff I missed specifically during the dream.

For those whose appetite for bloodshed and gunplay wasn't quenched last night, I would say be patient. It appears from the coming attractions that Tony will still be in a coma next week leaving Paulie, Sil and Chris to decide to runs the "family"...we could be seeing the beginning of a major power struggle. Personally I think this is shaping up to be the best season since 3.

It was a great episode.  Wouldn't it be horrible if Tony did die.  I don't think he will, but they sure make you think like he will.  I think this season might turn out to be better than the last.  Last year was pretty crappy.

Also, The Sopranos isn't like "Goodfellas", and thats what makes it so good, that its different.  Its always had a different dynamic, which is what makes it such a good show.  Its not stale.

636485[/snapback]

Actually, last season, IMO, was the strogest of the last three....I recently watched them over again, in anticipation of the upcoming season, and I was really hooked, even though I knew what would happen. It was better second time around. There is so much in all of these episodes, I almost think you have to watch them twice, just to catch it all. When you see some, knowing what will happen later, they make a lot more sense...

I get the feeling, like a lot of things they do on the "Sopranos", that AJ's threat toward Uncle Junior won't amount to a lot...the kid is too lazy and unmotivated to follow up on anything....I think they will tease us with it for a while...ultimately if AJ kills anyone, it will be himself, in some drug/alchohol crazed mess. Just a hunch...

I also think Phil Leotardo gets killed by someone in Tony's gang, maybe Pauly. This will cause lots of friction between the Jersey guys, and Vito, as well as the NY family...I won't be shocked if Tony is in a coma for a long time, maybe the duration of the first part of this season (12 episodes)...during his little subconscious fantasy, or whatever it is, there is a scene where he picks up the phone, like he is going to call someone...and then he puts the phone down. Is this clue that he is about to come out of the coma, or that he is about to dying?

I always look for meanings in the names of the episodes. Sometimes, I look too much, however, last weeks premiere was called "Members Only". This weeks was called "Join the Club"...has Tony become a memeer of the club of the dead?

You could be right about the voice being Charmaine, but I thought it was Anabella Sciorra...I didn't catch any name in the credits, have to check again...

Also, something has to be going on with kitty's wife, and that auto-body shop...they keep hinting that there is something unusual about it, but I can't figure out what it is...

So many questions...

Actually, last season, IMO, was the strogest of the last three....I recently watched them over again, in anticipation of the upcoming season, and I was really hooked, even though I knew what would happen.  It was better second time around. There is so much in all of these episodes, I almost think you have to watch them twice, just to catch it all.  When you see some, knowing what will happen later, they make a lot more sense...

Last season was ok, but nothing like the first 3, i rewatched them all like you did

I get the feeling, like a lot of things they do on the "Sopranos", that AJ's threat toward Uncle Junior won't amount to a lot...the kid is too lazy and unmotivated to follow up on anything....I think they will tease us with it for a while...ultimately if AJ kills anyone, it will be himself, in some drug/alchohol crazed mess.  Just a hunch...

I think that with all the police surrounding Junior, that noone will be able to get to Junior and Junior will rot in jail.

I also think Phil Leotardo gets killed by someone in Tony's gang, maybe Pauly.  This will cause lots of friction between the Jersey guys, and Vito, as well as the NY family...I won't be shocked if Tony is in a coma for a long time, maybe the duration of the first part of this season (12 episodes)...during his little subconscious fantasy, or whatever it is, there is a scene where he picks up the phone, like he is going to call someone...and then he puts the phone down.  Is this clue that he is about to come out of the coma, or that he is about to dying?

So many questions...

636563[/snapback]

I don't think anyone can get to Phil, i mean taking out the underboss of New York is like the top of the top. Tony Soprano is nothing compared to Phil and everyone knows that.

My brain still hurts from watching that movie. :devil:

636940[/snapback]

lol, mine too.....but it was well worth it....what a kick ass flick!

Watched it again today...the voice on the phone is different every conversation. Just FYI. It's a number of different women, maybe all the women in his life? Either way, they changed the voice to keep it purposely vague.

And he is clearly in some sort of "waiting station" ala purgatory. Tons of religious imagry throughout his scenes -- it's not him imagining what his life might have been like. He is stuck because the comma was induced.