Reggie Wells - OL - tendered offer sheet

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sh-- yeah he did.  He had 3 million reasons to do so.  Now he'll get paid that by sombody in 2006, no matter where he is. 

The fact he loves his O-line coach in AZ and has Edge to block for should pretty much put the nail in the coffin on that FA signing, even though I give Marv a thumbs up for trying it.

636603[/snapback]

I'm not quite sure you understand the situation here. He already signed the offered sheet. It is totally out of Wells' hands now. If the Cards match the offer he stays in Arizona, if not he's a Bill. The "he might stay because he likes his coach/teammates/city/whatever" ship has already sailed.

I'm not quite sure you understand the situation here. He already signed the offered sheet. It is totally out of Wells' hands now. If the Cards match the offer he stays in Arizona, if not he's a Bill.  The "he might stay because he likes his coach/teammates/city/whatever" ship has already sailed.

636834[/snapback]

Yes and no. What you said is basically true, but the Cardinals are deciding if they want to match the offer. A large part of that decision, next to the money and how good a player do they think Wells is, depends on what Wells thinks. Does he really want to be there or in Buffalo. Does he buy into the system and the coaches and his teammates. Is he going to be a malcontent if they resign him. So Wells does have a say in the matter, and apparently he likes the Cards, too. He's probably going to be retained.

I'm not quite sure you understand the situation here. He already signed the offered sheet. It is totally out of Wells' hands now. If the Cards match the offer he stays in Arizona, if not he's a Bill.  The "he might stay because he likes his coach/teammates/city/whatever" ship has already sailed.

636834[/snapback]

Wells desire to stay in AZ is a big part of the equation. No team wants a player who doesn't want to be there--look at the TO situation. That's why the Cards GM wanted to meet with him personally today, rather than simply matching the offer last week.

If Wells told the Cards he was adament about leaving, would AZ still match the offer? Probably, but then they'd have to do a sign-and-trade with someone or deal with a disgruntled player who could disrupt team chemistry. If Wells said he wants to stay and open holes for Edge, it become a no-brainer given the Cards cap room.

Cardinals | Team meets with Wells to discuss offer sheet

Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:11:04 -0800

AzCardinals.com reports restricted free agent OG Reggie Wells (Cardinals) visited with Arizona Cardinals vice president of football operations Rod Graves and head coach Dennis Green to discuss his future with the Cardinals organization Monday, March 20. "We talked about Reggie's commitment and his feelings about staying with the Arizona Cardinals," said Graves following the meeting. "We also talked about expectations and the direction of the program." Arizona has the right to match the Buffalo Bills offer sheet and retain Wells. However, if the Cardinals elect not to match the offer, they will be compensated with a sixth round draft choice, the round in which they originally selected Wells in the 2003 draft. "I feel it was a very positive meeting," concluded Graves. "We'll evaluate our decision today and expect to have an announcement soon in respect to us matching the offer he received in Buffalo."

This was from KFFL. Now obviously this doesn't say anything about him wanting out, but maybe just maybe that is what this discussion was about. Even though he says it was a "very positive meeting" he doesn't say that Wells said he wanted to come back. I don't know, I'm more just wishing I think. :devil:

AzCardinals.com reports restricted free agent OG Reggie Wells (Cardinals) visited with Arizona Cardinals vice president of football operations Rod Graves and head coach Dennis Green to discuss his future with the Cardinals organization Monday, March 20. "We talked about Reggie's commitment and his feelings about staying with the Arizona Cardinals," said Graves following the meeting. "We also talked about expectations and the direction of the program." Arizona has the right to match the Buffalo Bills offer sheet and retain Wells. However, if the Cardinals elect not to match the offer, they will be compensated with a sixth round draft choice, the round in which they originally selected Wells in the 2003 draft. "I feel it was a very positive meeting," concluded Graves. "We'll evaluate our decision today and expect to have an announcement soon in respect to us matching the offer he received in Buffalo."

This was from KFFL.  Now obviously this doesn't say anything about him wanting out, but maybe just maybe that is what this discussion was about.  Even though he says it was a "very positive meeting" he doesn't say that Wells said he wanted to come back.  I don't know, I'm more just wishing I think.  :devil:

636970[/snapback]

Actually, in typical KFFL form, most of this is from the actual Arizona Cardinals website. Consider Wells 99% signed with the Cards. The fact that the Cards website has a much longer article than this tells me that they will no doubt match the Bills offer. Whenever you see the propaganda machine kick in on the team's website, it's pretty much a done deal, IMO.

Besides, I think it's a real reach to assume or even hope that he'd rather play in Buffalo than in Arizona given the status of both teams. They have far better talent, they're in a much nicer climate, and they at least have some form of competence, arguable as to how much more, at the helm.

Besides, I think it's  a real reach to assume or even hope that he'd rather play in Buffalo than in Arizona given the status of both teams.  They have far better talent, they're in a much nicer climate, and they at least have some form of competence, arguable as to how much more, at the helm.

637001[/snapback]

Their fan support is notoriously pitiful. I'll be interested to see if that improves with their record.

Their fan support is notoriously pitiful.  I'll be interested to see if that improves with their record.

637004[/snapback]

Let's see how ours is this season before we start criticizing theirs. Besides, aren't these all tangents?

You're getting away from the core issue. They also have Fitz, Edge, Boldin, and some talent on D. Plus they don't play in a division with NE and Miami.

This was from KFFL.  Now obviously this doesn't say anything about him wanting out, but maybe just maybe that is what this discussion was about.  Even though he says it was a "very positive meeting" he doesn't say that Wells said he wanted to come back.  I don't know, I'm more just wishing I think.  :)

636970[/snapback]

"We talked about Reggie's commitment..." They lowballed him and they talked to him about HIS commitment. :devil:

ARZ has got to be a least thinking about letting him walk. If it was a no brainer to match the offer, team officials could have just annouced today that they were keeping him.

He either wants out or the money is more than they want to pay. We still might get him.

ARZ has got to be a least thinking about letting him walk. If it was a no brainer to match the offer, team officials could have just annouced today that they were keeping him.

He either wants out or the money is more than they want to pay. We still might get him.

637067[/snapback]

Lets all get over this, Wells is gone. I say we offer Neal a sh-- load of money, he is a young guy who could solidify that spot for a while. We are not going to get a starter in the draft unless his last name is Furgeson. Lets pay a vet some dough and get a solid proven guy in there. C'mon Marv tell Ralph to blow the dust off that check book and make a real friggin offer, if not we will be a subpar team forever.