Reggie Wells - OL - tendered offer sheet

Lets all get over this, Wells is gone. I say we offer Neal a sh-- load of money, he is a young guy who could solidify that spot for a while. We are not going to get a starter in the draft unless his last name is Furgeson. Lets pay a vet some dough and get a solid proven guy in there. C'mon Marv tell Ralph to blow the dust off that check book and make a real friggin offer, if not we will be a subpar team forever.

637183[/snapback]

I don't think Wells is in fact gone ......... I do believe (I could be wrong) that Arizona could have got a higher compensary pick by upping their initial tender offer without breaking the bank. I would seem to me that the Cards could have tendered an offer which would equate to a third round pick without offering "stupid money" and while that wouldn't preclude some other team from offering a contract in the stupid money relm ....... at least the Cards would get something worthwhile in return.

Is my viewpoint on how the compensary pick incorrect?????? Is it predicated solely on where the player was originally drafted, or does the tendered offer come into play??????

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Macaroni, the compensation is based on the tender offer that the original team makes. Based on the tender offer the original team is entitled to anything from simply Right of First Refusal up to a 1st AND 3rd round draft picks. In the Cardinals' case, they offered more than the minimum tender -- but only the next highest tender, which was just enough to net them the round in which Wells was originally drafted (6th round) as compensation.

Besides, I think it's  a real reach to assume or even hope that he'd rather play in Buffalo than in Arizona given the status of both teams.  They have far better talent, they're in a much nicer climate, and they at least have some form of competence, arguable as to how much more, at the helm.

637001[/snapback]

"some form of competence"???

you realize that you're referring to the arizona cardinals, don't you? they're quite possibly the worst organization in the history of professional sports.

Actually, in typical KFFL form, most of this is from the actual Arizona Cardinals website.  Consider Wells 99% signed with the Cards.  The fact that the Cards website has a much longer article than this tells me that they will no doubt match the Bills offer.  Whenever you see the propaganda machine kick in on the team's website, it's pretty much a done deal, IMO.

636983[/snapback]

I realize he has potential, but you guys do realize he was a lineman on a team with one of the worst runnig games in the league...are the Bills trying to pull a Shanahan?

I realize he has potential, but you guys do realize he was a lineman on a team with one of the worst runnig games in the league...are the Bills trying to pull a Shanahan?

637287[/snapback]

#1..whats a Shanahan? Are you referring to the Browns D line?

#2 I have no idea who this guy is, but as much as everyone is killing Marv on this board , why are those same people all worked up as whether the Cards match .

Something is just not computing

#1..whats a Shanahan? Are you referring to the Browns D line?

#2 I have no idea who this guy is, but as much as everyone is killing Marv on this board , why are those same people all worked up as whether the Cards match .

Something is just not computing

637306[/snapback]

Shanahan pulls rejects from another team and tries (sometimes successfully) to make them fit into his scheme. Last year he pulled a bunch of guys off of a horrible Browns D and actually made his team better.

Wells is a young guy with some talent (i.e. upside) who has underachieved in Arizona.

Wells is a young guy with some talent (i.e. upside) who has underachieved in Arizona.

637312[/snapback]

In addition ............ OUR best O-lineman was an undrafted TE playing out of position.

IMHO ........ the brain trust needs to bring in a metric butt ton of young linemen and spend the time between now and the start of the season seperating the wheat from the chaff to establish a base which will be improved (next year) with the addition of a big dollar veteran star or two.

Last year we didn't have five viable starter quality linemen, and absolutly zero backups.

In addition ............ OUR best O-lineman was an undrafted TE playing out of position.

IMHO ........ the brain trust needs to bring in a metric butt ton of young linemen and spend the time between now and the start of the season seperating the wheat from the chaff to establish a base which will be improved (next year) with the addition of a big dollar veteran star or two.

Last year we didn't have five viable starter quality linemen, and absolutly zero backups.

637324[/snapback]

Point taken. I guess almost anything is somewhat of an upgrade.

I don't think Wells is in fact gone ......... I do believe (I could be wrong) that Arizona could have got a higher compensary pick by upping their initial tender offer without breaking the bank. I would seem to me that the Cards could have tendered an offer which would equate to a third round pick without offering "stupid money" and while that wouldn't preclude some other team from offering a contract in the stupid money relm ....... at least the Cards would get something worthwhile in return.

Is my viewpoint on how the compensary pick incorrect?????? Is it predicated solely on where the player was originally drafted, or does the tendered offer come into play??????

637194[/snapback]

If you dont think that Wells is already gone, your either stupid or unrealistic. He has already sad he does not want to uproot his family and move to another coast. And now with the signing of Edge they definitely want to keep a young proven guy who knows the system. Buffalo had to offer something more than it did, all be it they did make him a nice offer. And it comes from where the player was originally drafted. We need to focus on a guy like Neal who has tremendous up side and is young.

If you dont think that Wells is already gone, your either stupid or unrealistic. He has already sad he does not want to uproot his family and move to another coast. And now with the signing of Edge they definitely want to keep a young proven guy who knows the system. Buffalo had to offer something more than it did, all be it they did make him a nice offer. And it comes from where the player was originally drafted. We need to focus on a guy like Neal who has tremendous up side and is young.

637485[/snapback]

Well I may be both stupid AND unrealistic (but I think it's pretty poor form of you to call me such, you don't even know me) ........ but I still don't think the Wells deal is a done deal ..... we may lose him when all is said and done, but I think if the Cards really wanted to protect him they would have given him a more lucrative initial offer, that way they'd be in a win/win situation. As it is a team could offer Wells a "stupid money" contract and all the Cards would get in compesation is a 6th round draft pick.

As far as Neal goes I agree with you 100% (even if we DO land Wells) I think he should be our primary target and we should work very VERY hard to get him.

If it was so definite that He was going to stay in Arizona, why would they not have made it official and signed him instead of waiting til the last minute. They only have to match the offer for him to stay. If I was Wells I would be on the first plane out of Arizona cause I would feel that the offer they gave me was a slap in the face. There is a fairly big difference between Arizonas offer and Buffalos offer, so if they wanted me to stay so bad, why not make me a decent offer in the first place rather then Low Ball me.

If it was so definite that He was going to stay in Arizona, why would they not have made it official and signed him instead of waiting til the last minute. They only have to match the offer for him to stay. If I was Wells I would be on the first plane out of Arizona cause I would feel that the offer they gave me was a slap in the face. There is a fairly big difference between Arizonas offer and Buffalos offer, so if they wanted me to stay so bad, why not make me a decent offer in the first place rather then Low Ball me.

637495[/snapback]

When I was typing this post this morning, I had this weird feeling they would match the offer.