Interesting Bills Report Article

Apologies if already posted

Look For Levy To Put End To QB Circus

Buffalo Bills quarterback Kelly Holcomb scrambles against the Oakland Raiders, October 23, 2005. (AP Photo)

By Pat Moran

Date: Mar 15, 2006

It's my observation that Marv Levy is not high on J.P. Losman, not one tiny bit. From what I’ve heard he’s about as high on Losman as Larry Brown is with Stephen Marbury. There's something about Losman that Levy doesn't like, and by reading between the lines bringing in a third quarterback for an open competition is anything but an endorsement for the Losman’s future.

It's my observation that Marv Levy is not high on J.P. Losman, not one tiny bit. From what I’ve heard he’s about as high on Losman as Larry Brown is with Stephen Marbury. There's something about Losman that Levy doesn't like, and by reading between the lines bringing in a third quarterback for an open competition is anything but an endorsement for the Losman’s future.

631664[/snapback]

It's my observation that if we draft another QB, we are going to have the Flutie/Johnson situation all over again. Two highly paid QB's and a split locker room on who should start. I would be surprised if the Bills drafted a QB, but then again I was surprised when they drafted McGahee.

It's my observation that if we draft another QB, we are going to have the Flutie/Johnson situation all over again. Two highly paid QB's and a split locker room on who should start. I would be surprised if the Bills drafted a QB, but then again I was surprised when they drafted McGahee.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the Bills are 100% convinced that JP Losman is not their guy, they would be foolish to take a QB with the #8 pick.  History, and the percentages, say that Leinart, Cutler or Young, no matter how great they will be, would struggle their rookie season.  The franchise has already spent a lot to get Losman.  Losman, as the article pointed out, was not really given a fair shake to prove himself, because of the circumstances that the GM and HC put him in. 

The Bills should let Losman play, and show, once and for all, that he has no future with the team.  The team will not likely do any worse with Losman than they would with Leinart, Young or Cutler.  That being the case, the Bills will be primed to pick a top QB prospect in next years draft.  As dire as the QB situation may look, it really is not the Bills greatest weakness. 

The only way the Bills should draft a QB this year, is if they can trade Losman.  I don't see that happening.  Martz loved Losman.  Maybe the Bills could trade Losman for Harrinton (who wants out in Detroit), but why would we want that?  I can't see any other trade scenario....

631737[/snapback]

I'd disagree with the premise that the Bills should only draft a QB if they are 100% sure that JP isn't the answer. I'd submit that the only circumstance you should consider not taking a QB is if you are 100% certain the QB you have is capable of leading you to the playoffs.

Also, IMO, this team is at least another year away from contending for a playoff spot. If we aren't 100% sure that JP is the answer at QB, I'd rather take a shot at a franchise QB now than try to find one in two years. This would set the franchise back even further.

I've been quietly saying this for a long time now. But saying the Bills should take Vince Young is like saying you're a baby-killer around these parts or something.

I agree completely with everything that was said. We're in a complete rebuilding mode. If Ralph or Marv don't like J.P. (like i've thought all along) than now is the time to get the new QB of the future. We'd just be wasting time putting in someone that no one is high on.

Maybe that's why they've been stringing Moulds along. Although Moulds complains about young QB's, I have a feeling he wouldn't have a problem with a "big name" like Matt Leinart or especially Vince Young.

The way I see it going is this:

1.) Houston - Reggie Bush

2.) New Orleans - Mario Williams

3.) Tennessee - Leinart/Cutler/Young

4.) New York - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (they resigned Chad and will most likely get Ramsay)

5.) Green Bay - A.J. Hawk

6.) San Francisco - Vernon Davis (Huff or Ngata could be it as well, but i'm 75% on Davis)

7.) Oakland - Leinart/Cutler/Young

8.) Buffalo -

If we're picking a QB, in a perfect world; someone would pick Cutler before us. Unlike everyone else, I feel Cutler may be good; but nowhere's near the hype he's being given.

I think this QB draft is eerily similiar to the 2004 Draft. There's the #1 guy (Manning - Leinart), then there's a guy who came out of nowhere with monster hype (Rivers - Cutler), and then there's somebody who has a world of talent who unfairly drops because of silly question marks (Roethlisberger - Young).

Jumping ahead of Oakland wouldn't cost much of anything either if we really wanted one of them.

The bottom line is if Marv and Ralph aren't high on Losman and we address the line's in FA (one more DT and an OL or two), then we'd be dumb to pass on Leinart or Young if Ferguson and Williams are gone. Especially if the pick is Huff.

It's my observation that if we draft another QB, we are going to have the Flutie/Johnson situation all over again.  Two highly paid QB's and a split locker room on who should start.  I would be surprised if the Bills drafted a QB, but then again I was surprised when they drafted McGahee.

It's my observation that if we draft another QB, we are going to have the Flutie/Johnson situation all over again.  Two highly paid QB's and a split locker room on who should start.  I would be surprised if the Bills drafted a QB, but then again I was surprised when they drafted McGahee.

631783[/snapback]

Conversely, it is my observation that if we draft a QB with our 1st selection, JP is out of a job.

I've been quietly saying this for a long time now. But saying the Bills should take Vince Young is like saying you're a baby-killer around these parts or something.

I agree completely with everything that was said. We're in a complete rebuilding mode. If Ralph or Marv don't like J.P. (like i've thought all along) than now is the time to get the new QB of the future. We'd just be wasting time putting in someone that no one is high on.

Maybe that's why they've been stringing Moulds along. Although Moulds complains about young QB's, I have a feeling he wouldn't have a problem with a "big name" like Matt Leinart or especially Vince Young.

The way I see it going is this:

1.) Houston - Reggie Bush

2.) New Orleans - Mario Williams

3.) Tennessee - Leinart/Cutler/Young

4.) New York - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (they resigned Chad and will most likely get Ramsay)

5.) Green Bay - A.J. Hawk

6.) San Francisco - Vernon Davis (Huff or Ngata could be it as well, but i'm 75% on Davis)

7.) Oakland - Leinart/Cutler/Young

8.) Buffalo -

If we're picking a QB, in a perfect world; someone would pick Cutler before us. Unlike everyone else, I feel Cutler may be good; but nowhere's near the hype he's being given.

I think this QB draft is eerily similiar to the 2004 Draft. There's the #1 guy (Manning - Leinart), then there's a guy who came out of nowhere with monster hype (Rivers - Cutler), and then there's somebody who has a world of talent who unfairly drops because of silly question marks (Roethlisberger - Young).

Jumping ahead of Oakland wouldn't cost much of anything either if we really wanted one of them.

The bottom line is if Marv and Ralph aren't high on Losman and we address the line's in FA (one more DT and an OL or two), then we'd be dumb to pass on Leinart or Young if Ferguson and Williams are gone. Especially if the pick is Huff.

631808[/snapback]

Marv and Jouron will never draft Vince Young.

His unconventional style will never fit with the conservative philosophy.

Bills should add a vet with a style similar to JPs and let him compete. Pretty stupid to need 2 different offensive mindsets for Holcomb and Losman.

For the Bills to draft another QB 2 years after giving up a 1st rd pick to move up and take JP when he has only played in 8 games is stupid! If Leinart, Young, or Cutler falls in our lap they should be used as trade bait to get more picks to shore up our OL and DL or possibly draft Davis earlier in the 1st to give JP some weapons and a OL/ DL later. I mean if JP fails then yes some would look back and say I told we should have picked one of the Qbs. But what if one of those top 3 QBs struggle, as most young QBs do? This would be JP all over again with those who would start harping on rebuilding the line and adding weapons and setting us back 2-3 more years. I mean if the Ravens or Lions could stick with Harrington and Boller for as long as they have why can't some give JP more than 8 games to show more than flashes and give him a chance to be consistent? At least give him a chance for none of these other QBs are going to come in and light up the league in thir first season.

631722[/snapback]

Finally common sense!!!!!!!!!!!!

This article does not appear to have much basis in fact. Indeed, Moran -- maybe an apt name? -- jumps all over the map with his piece. In his intro, he talks as if he has inside information that Marv does not like JP. Then toward the end of the article, he claims that Marv probably likes JP... He also suggests that the mere fact that the team is bringing in free agent QBs is a sign that they are down on JP. I suppose he is talking about GB's 3rd stringer, Nall?

It's not a question of if this happens.  It's a question of has this already happened

I'm not sure citing the Ravens and Lions supports your argument.  Bottom line is it's a really bad mistake, but it's Donahoe's mistake, not Levy's.  If Levy feels Losman is not the guy, and he knows better than we do, then he has to move on.  It's really irrelevant at this point what round Losman was drafted in.

631755[/snapback]

No matter how you look at it, Levy has to take the hand that was dealt to him; he can't just start over from scratch. JP was dealt to him and he has to find out whther JP can get the job done. My point is that it takes more than 8 games to truly judge a QB. So if Levy gave up on JP this early and brings in another QB while still having JP on the roster this is stupid! I mean JP has shown way more potential than Alex Rodgers has. I mean this team fell off running the ball and the D went from a top 5 D to the bottom 5. That combined with poor coaching how successful would you expect a 2nd year QB making his 1st start to do; lead this team to the playoffs? I could see if JP played poor all season and made no progress; I mean his last 4 games after coming back from being bench were pretty good FOR A 2ND year QB qith less than 10 starts. So why give up on him when athletically he is just as good as the top 3 Qbs in this draft with just as much potential but yet at least a few games experience under his belt. If he comes in next season and lights it up while these other QBs hold out for they would want to get paid like the top 5 talents they feel they are but yet dropped to us at 8, we could have a San Diego situationhere but it would be worse; at least the Chargers gave Drew Brees 2 years to do hi thing; we only gave JP * FREAKING GAMES!

No matter how you look at it, Levy has to take the hand that was dealt to him; he can't just start over from scratch. JP was dealt to him and he has to find out whther JP can get the job done. My point is that it takes more than 8 games to truly judge a QB. So if Levy gave up on JP this early and brings in another QB while still having JP on the roster this is stupid! I mean JP has shown way more potential than Alex Rodgers has. I mean this team fell off running the ball and the D went from a top 5 D to the bottom 5. That combined with poor coaching how successful would you expect a 2nd year QB making his 1st start to do; lead this team to the playoffs? I could see if JP played poor all season and made no progress; I mean his last 4 games after coming back from being bench were pretty good  FOR A 2ND year QB qith less than 10 starts. So why give up on him when athletically he is just as good as the top 3 Qbs in this draft with just as much potential but yet at least a few games experience under his belt. If he comes in next season and lights it up while these other QBs hold out for they would want to get paid like the top 5 talents they feel they are but yet dropped to us at 8, we could have a San Diego situationhere but it would be worse; at least the Chargers gave Drew Brees 2 years to do hi thing; we only gave JP * FREAKING GAMES!

631868[/snapback]

The question is would you still be saying this if JP was a 5th round pick? Forget the flashes that you say JP has shown - that's for a different argument - the fact is that JP being a former 1st round pick has no bearing on Marv's decision. Marv is looking at him objectively, evaluating him for the first time. And maybe (likely, according to the author of this piece) he never would've selected him in the first round. It's not all that shocking that Marv could think JP doesn't have it - we have no reason to think he ever did!

For the Bills to draft another QB 2 years after giving up a 1st rd pick to move up and take JP when he has only played in 8 games is stupid! If Leinart, Young, or Cutler falls in our lap they should be used as trade bait to get more picks to shore up our OL and DL or possibly draft Davis earlier in the 1st to give JP some weapons and a OL/ DL later. I mean if JP fails then yes some would look back and say I told we should have picked one of the Qbs. But what if one of those top 3 QBs struggle, as most young QBs do? This would be JP all over again with those who would start harping on rebuilding the line and adding weapons and setting us back 2-3 more years. I mean if the Ravens or Lions could stick with Harrington and Boller for as long as they have why can't some give JP more than 8 games to show more than flashes and give him a chance to be consistent? At least give him a chance for none of these other QBs are going to come in and light up the league in thir first season.

631722[/snapback]

It would be stupid if the previous regime were still place. They are not. With the regime change comes philosophical and evaluation change. The fact that JP was acquired in the 1st round shouldn't have any bearing whatsoever.

If that happens, you'd best be prepared for another decade of losing.

631667[/snapback]

That's because it takes a decade to build an offensive line, right?

That's because when teams hit rock bottom, and get a really high draft pick, they generally draft A) a QB or B) an Offensive Guard?

Right?

JDG

One thing I like about Vince Young is he is a great leader. The comebacks vs USC and Ohio St on the road were against premier teams on huge stages. Delivering victories in crunch time is a rare commodity in a QB. I admit taking a QB again is crazy but I do like Vince Young. Cinci did it with Carson Palmer after burning a 1 on Akili Smith and I'd say it worked out well.

That is an awesome and encouraging article. I am very nervous about Losman myself, and don't like the idea of not having a good backup plan to him. Especially regarding longterm future.

However I don't like the Idea of drafting Vince Young. It just strikes me funny to draft a guy who's only claim to fame is one big football game. Especially in college where his legs could carry him. I just don't trust that he can do that week in and out in the NFL. Especailly with other teams studying him so closely. I don't see him being good.

Sooo.. other that that, good read, and it would be fun to get either Leinart or Cutler. However this does make me realize that even Marv doesn't know who he'll draft, since it seems he will take the best guy available no matter what the position.

This article does not appear to have much basis in fact. Indeed, Moran -- maybe an apt name? -- jumps all over the map with his piece. In his intro, he talks as if he has inside information that Marv does not like JP. Then toward the end of the article, he claims that Marv probably likes JP... He also suggests that the mere fact that the team is bringing in free agent QBs is a sign that they are down on JP. I suppose he is talking about GB's 3rd stringer, Nall?

631840[/snapback]

Yes, you too can be a "journalist." Has about as much credibility as anything else posted on TSW, I guess. :devil:

I'd disagree with the premise that the Bills should only draft a QB if they are 100% sure that JP isn't the answer.  I'd submit that the only circumstance you should consider not taking a QB is if you are 100% certain the QB you have is capable of leading you to the playoffs.

Also, IMO, this team is at least another year away from contending for a playoff spot.  If we aren't 100% sure that JP is the answer at QB, I'd rather take a shot at a franchise QB now than try to find one in two years.  This would set the franchise back even further.

631786[/snapback]

So you would pick another QB at the #8 spot? What if they both end up being stiffs? That would truly be a disaster. Worse yet, what if they draft a "franchise QB" (your words) and get rid of Losman. Losman goes and shines somewhere else, and we are stuck with another in a long line of disappointing #1 QB draft picks. That is not a very smart, or quick way, of rebuilding a team.

Things change a lot. In two years there may be better options available to the Bills, in free agency. Or, they can draft someone with their first pick. Why waste a firsrt round pick on a position that you are not sure about? There is always two or three guys every year, who everyone says are "can't miss" picks. They will be there in 2007 too!

That's because when teams hit rock bottom, and get a really high draft pick, they generally draft A) a QB or B) an Offensive Guard?

631936[/snapback]

If they're the Bills they do.

How many first round picks in the past 10 years have we used on QBs when we could have had OL?

I completely disagree. Marv does not start rookies as general rule. Especially at QB.

The open competition is to build confidence in the starting QB that they earned the job and to earn the respect of the team. That is how you become the leader. Not drafting another green no experience college QB.

Marv knows what he is doing. Have another hot pocket sandwich and let Marv do his job.