Lost a Bills Fan

Guffalo

Yesterday in the middle of all the normal day to day crap, I'm standing in the aisle at the grocery store picking out God-knows-what for dinner. My phone rings and my wife is hysterical, she is telling me that Mike died. I just knew she was wrong, Mike and I had just done one of his side jobs this weekend, so it couldn't be Mike.

Apparently he had been sitting in his easy chair, feet up on the ottoman, watching Fox News (can you say ultra conservative), just as his wife had left him when she went to work. Whatever happened, it was quick, he was found by his son Matt around 1 PM sitting in the same position, not even a hair out of place.

I waved my son over (who is best freinds with Mike's son) and told him to drop the groceries, we have to get going. Walking into the house was like walking into a movie. The older son, who is freinds with my older son, was still at college, finishing up papers in nano tech something or other, it's his thesis and the Mom didnt want to distract him. The younger son who had found him was stunned and secluded in his room. The aunts waved him to go see Matt. I sought out Mary who had been in the kitchen, she was alternating between crushed and pissed off.

He had been a Jet/Giants fan for years and always loved busting my balls because I lived and died by the Bills. He liked to T-bone between his teams to ensure a pleasant day of Sunday football. Whichever team won, that was his team.

Most of you met him last year at the Opener, he had driven up with me last minute and watched his first NFL game live. He had also been sold on the whole WNY experience, wings, Ballet, the Pinto and cheap beer. From that day on, he became a Bills fan.

The following week, he came into the Sunday war room here on Long Island and was wearing a white hard hat (thanks Bob) painted with the Old Style and new style logo. His cheeks were painted red and blue and he proudly wore his Bills tailgate T-shirt with the stupid pom-poms sticking out of the back collar. He came back up for the Kansas City Game and helped me with my chili and sahlens. He was sold on the Bills experience, partly because of the people he met up there (it certainly wasn't the bills play)

I lost a very good freind yesterday, and we all lost a great Bills fan. Thanks Mike

sorry to here that  :lol:  0:) .... how old was he ?  you never know , so sad .

631671[/snapback]

He had just turned 50 this October, his January health checkup showed he was in excellent health.

Most of you met him last year at the Opener, he had driven up with me last minute and watched his first NFL game live. He had also been sold on the whole WNY experience, wings, Ballet, the Pinto and cheap beer. From that day on, he became a Bills fan.

So you're saying becoming a Bills fan killed him....? :lol:

My condolences - as mead said, Carpe Diem.

CW

That is so sad - sounds like a great guy, and 50 is still quite young. I feel for you, and for Mike's wife and sons.

Those of us in the over-40 set realize that we're 'on the back nine of life' - or have at least 'made the turn' - but you never think you're on the 18th fairway.

Sorry about your friend.

I am very sorry, Guff. It is never easy to accept when someone you loves dies, but to be so young, so sudden, so unexpected, it is shocking too, as you said.

I have been there so I know some of what you are going through.

My best to you, your family, and your friend's family as you all deal with this. Try to remember the good times; it sounds like there were many.

Love to you all, Bro.

Rock

Rule #1: Life is not fair

Rule #2: See rule number one

:devil:

Ah man, Guff. I remember talking to him when you brought him back up for the Chiefs game...

That bites. Hard. Thoughts to his family, and to you and yours.

He came back up for the Kansas City Game and helped me with my chili and sahlens. He was sold on the Bills experience, partly because of the people he met up there (it certainly wasn't the bills play)

I lost a very good freind yesterday, and we all lost a great Bills fan. Thanks Mike

631663[/snapback]

Noooooooooooooo. :doh:

hey Guff, dont know much about you or him, but i wish you the best. My condolences to your family and his. I lost a great friend once, i kept thinking that he wouldnt want me to be upset, even though thats a given, sometimes it made me feel better. Im trying to think of something funny to get a chuckle out of you but i cant think of anything, other than i hope he can bring some magic to the bills this season from up above. good luck.

Yesterday in the middle of all the normal day to day crap, I'm standing in the aisle at the grocery store picking out God-knows-what for dinner. My phone rings and my wife is hysterical, she is telling me that Mike died. I just knew she was wrong, Mike and I had just done one of his side jobs this weekend, so it couldn't be Mike.

Apparently he had been sitting in his easy chair, feet up on the ottoman, watching Fox News (can you say ultra conservative), just as his wife had left him when she went to work. Whatever happened, it was quick, he was found by his son Matt around 1 PM sitting in the same position, not even a hair out of place.

I waved my son over (who is best freinds with Mike's son) and told him to drop the groceries, we have to get going. Walking into the house was like walking into a movie. The older son, who is freinds with my older son, was still at college, finishing up papers in nano tech something or other, it's his thesis and the Mom didnt want to distract him. The younger son who had found him was stunned and secluded in his room. The aunts waved him to go see Matt. I sought out Mary who had been in the kitchen, she was alternating between crushed and pissed off. 

He had been a Jet/Giants fan for years and always loved busting my balls because I lived and died by the Bills. He liked to T-bone between his teams to ensure a pleasant day of Sunday football. Whichever team won, that was his team.

The following week, he came into the Sunday war room here on Long Island and was wearing a white hard hat (thanks Bob) painted with the Old Style and new style logo. His cheeks were painted red and blue and he proudly wore his Bills tailgate T-shirt with the stupid pom-poms sticking out of the back collar. He came back up for the Kansas City Game and helped me with my chili and sahlens. He was sold on the Bills experience, partly because of the people he met up there (it certainly wasn't the bills play)

631663[/snapback]

Dear Guff;

Dont know you but would like to!!-You gave a great memorial to your friend.I am positive that he is smiling in heaven..but wanting his familys pain and his friends' pain relieved..-but only God can do that.

Prayers to your friend's family especially.It must be tough for the son .

Tcali

I apologize for parachuting into this thread, but I knew Mike, too and I want to add my two cents.

Mike was a man's man. A good man. A good father. A good husband. A good friend.

My forever lasting memory of Mike will be his bulletproof ability to spread happiness to a room or to a situation. Not that he was a cunning jokester or had some uncanny talent. It was a firm handshake, smile and a loud "How ya doing, Rich?" when you walked into the room. It was his "anytime, anywhere, anything" vibe he gave off if you needed a hand with something. It was his "no worries" approach to life. His attitude just became more and more infectious as I spent more time with him. He was the type of person that if you werent feeling so good, if you felt a little 'off', or just wanted some good company or conversation (or if you didnt agree with his politics, debate), he'd be the first person you look for.

Right now he's in a better place. And its a better place because he is there.

Godspeed, Mike. Youre in our hearts.