so far (and i emphasize "so far") ...

the bills look like they're going to be a fairly poor to very poor team in 2006. they haven't signed any difference makers in free agency, and the guys they have signed (and might sign) at the key line positions -- triplett, fabini, etc. -- are either average or on career downsides coming off of serious injury. the receivers they've signed have never been productive, and they seem intent on letting moulds go at a time of their choosing (although it wouldn't be the strangest thing in the world if they end up keeping him). they've also let go vets who still have the ability to play competently (milloy and adams), which suggests full-on rebuilding mode.

i can live with them being a poor team next year -- after all, they were terrible in 05, and we've learned since the end of the season that the atmosphere of the team was completely poisonous (based upon comments from pretty much every player quoted). so they have a long way to go in terms of improvement. rome wasn't built in a day.

hence, i've set out a few goals for next year.

1. Losman becomes the starter and ends up with an 80 rating and 18 td passes.

2. mcgahee gains 1250 yards and averages 4.0 yards/carry. as well, he catches 30 balls and stays in on 3rd downs.

3. kevin everitt flashes competence (35 catches; 11 yards per catch and 5 tds)

4. evans becomes a 70 catch guy.

5. the defensive becomes a top 15 defense again and continues being a good turnover team.

6. they dramatically improve their run defense by acquiring a fat guy with the #8 pick who actually starts this year.

7. spikes is productive and remains excellent in coverage (the reason the bills signed him, of course). he won't be as good as he was, but the hope is that he can still be at least be a good chase and tackle cover LB.

8. their offense ends up ranked between 15 and 20 (it's been in the high 20s for far too long).

9. they use their #2 and a #3 on offensive linemen, and these guys end up contributing as at least part time starters. (i suppose their other third should go towards a safety, which they are now without.)

10. they win 6 (and possibly even 7) games and win one game each against the phins, pats, and jets. i have to say that 6 is a more realistic hope than 7.

11. they end the season up playing teams tough and with competent d-line and qb play.

the bills look like they're going to be a fairly poor to very poor team in 2006. they haven't signed any difference makers in free agency, and the guys they have signed (and might sign) at the key line positions -- triplett, fabini, etc. -- are either average or on career downsides coming off of serious injury. the receivers they've signed have never been productive, and they seem intent on letting moulds go at a time of their choosing (although it wouldn't be the strangest thing in the world if they end up keeping him).  they've also let go vets who still have the ability to play competently (milloy and adams), which suggests full-on rebuilding mode.

i can live with them being a poor team next year -- after all, they were terrible in 05, and we've learned since the end of the season that the atmosphere of the team was completely poisonous (based upon comments from pretty much every player quoted). so they have a long way to go in terms of improvement. rome wasn't built in a day.

2. mcgahee gains 1250 yards and averages 4.0 yards/carry. as well, he catches 30 balls and stays in on 3rd downs.

5. the defensive becomes a top 15 defense again and continues being a good turnover team.

6. they dramatically improve their run defense by acquiring a fat guy with the #8 pick who actually starts this year.

7. spikes is productive and remains excellent in coverage (the reason the bills signed him, of course). he won't be as good as he was, but the hope is that he can still be at least be a good chase and tackle cover LB.

8. their offense ends up ranked between 15 and 20 (it's been in the high 20s for far too long).

9. they use their #2 and a #3 on offensive linemen, and these guys end up contributing as at least part time starters. (i suppose their other third should go towards a safety, which they are now without.)

10. they win 6 (and possibly even 7) games and win one game each against the phins, pats, and jets. i have to say that 6 is a more realistic hope than 7.

11. they end the season up playing teams tough and with competent d-line and qb play.

631031[/snapback]

I like your goals, they seem realistic, except for everett having 5 TD's. If JP is only going to toss 18-20 TD's, i say close to half will go to evans, leaving 10-12 TD's for everyone else.

the bills look like they're going to be a fairly poor to very poor team in 2006. they haven't signed any difference makers in free agency, and the guys they have signed (and might sign) at the key line positions -- triplett, fabini, etc. -- are either average or on career downsides coming off of serious injury. the receivers they've signed have never been productive, and they seem intent on letting moulds go at a time of their choosing (although it wouldn't be the strangest thing in the world if they end up keeping him).  they've also let go vets who still have the ability to play competently (milloy and adams), which suggests full-on rebuilding mode.

631031[/snapback]

Sounds about right.........Except,the division will be too tough and we beat the Jets once for only 1 win in the division.........on a up note our long snapper and punter will make the pro bowl again. ....WHOOOOOPIE!

We won`t plug the dam untill we get deep pockets....and that AIN`T gonna happen anytime soon!........5-11 spinning wheel.

If Spikes returns healthy, I'd say 7 - 9 minimun. Lady Luck kicks in, 10 - 6. I know the fans in my town do not think they are a club to take lightly.

They slapped the snot out of Cincy last year when it didn't seem to matter a lot - but turns out it did - and slapped the snot out of Cincy the year before and kept 'em out of the playoffs.

A little luck, the new regime...who knows?

The Bills have an entirely different coaching staff, with different gameplans, and different styles of play. Who says the current team couldn't be a good team. Everyone seems to think coaching does not make a difference but then says how great Bellichick and Saban are. Juron has been a Coach of the year for the Bears and has experience as a head coach previously, no one knows how we are gonna do until atleast the preseason, but I guess everyone here has gone into their time machines and seen the 2006 season in advance so they can already right them off

The Bills have an entirely different coaching staff, with different gameplans, and different styles of play. Who says the current team couldn't be a good team. Everyone seems to think coaching does not make a difference but then says how great Bellichick and Saban are. Juron has been a Coach of the year for the Bears and has experience as a head coach previously, no one knows how we are gonna do until atleast the preseason, but I guess everyone here has gone into their time machines and seen the 2006 season in advance so they can already right them off

631109[/snapback]

Coaching is the difference maker for teams of relatively comparable talent. Such is not the case for the Bills as of March 15, 2006. We are so devoid of talent at the moment - compared to the rest of the league - that it doesn't matter who's coaching.

Coaching is the difference maker for teams of relatively comparable talent. Such is not the case for the Bills as of March 15, 2006. We are so devoid of talent at the moment - compared to the rest of the league -  that it doesn't matter who's coaching.

631278[/snapback]

And yet we have the same offensive line coach who has actually made the group worse then it was. Hard to believe it could have gotten worse, but it did.

And yet we have the same offensive line coach who has actually made the group worse then it was.  Hard to believe it could have gotten worse, but it did.

631281[/snapback]

But at least he helped your hero, Bennie, right? The last 5 games Bennie was DOMINATING :lol: .

I dont know if they'll be playoff contenders- but I think they'll look VERY TOUGH on the field, and be extremely competetive in most games.

We're getting rid of the quitters, and another one will be released soon- like Levy says- you win with character, and thats got me excited!

631031[/snapback]

I'd take that season in a heartbeat.

Right now, IMO, none of the 11 seems realistic.

The offensive line as it projects now is so awful I can see no way either QB could stay healthy long enough to post 18 TD's. I really see a situation coming where the Bills end up playing a 3rd QB a lot, and picking up some Chad Hutchinson types to mop up the last 8-10 games of the season.

As a result of a weak OL, it will probably be another wasted year for Losman, and another reason for guys like Evans and McGahee to start pining for greener pastures. I actually think the Bills realize this on some level, and that is why they have looked into worn out POS's like Jason Fabini and Kevin Mawae. Even if they have no future beyond this season, the Bills simply can't afford to go into this season with an offensive line loaded with unproven young players or terrible vets.

The bad OL means no running game, no passing game and no ball control and quite possibly a lot of turnovers. This allows opponents to stick with their run game and not put themselves in turnover situations.

I'd take that season in a heartbeat.

Right now, IMO, none of the 11 seems realistic.

The offensive line as it projects now is so awful I can see no way either QB could stay healthy long enough to post 18 TD's.  I really see a situation coming where the Bills end up playing a 3rd QB a lot,  and picking up some Chad Hutchinson types to mop up the last 8-10 games of the season. 

As a result of a weak OL, it will probably be another wasted year for Losman, and another reason for guys like Evans and McGahee to start pining for greener pastures.  I actually think the Bills realize this on some level, and that is why they have looked  into worn out POS's like Jason Fabini and Kevin Mawae.  Even if they have no future beyond this season, the Bills simply can't afford to go into this season with an offensive line loaded with unproven young players or terrible vets.

The bad OL means no running game, no passing game and no ball control and quite possibly a  lot of turnovers.  This allows opponents to stick with their run game and not put themselves in turnover situations.

631434[/snapback]

badol, you may well be absolutely right, but remember that i'm presenting what i think is a better case scenario. there are worse that i've contemplated ...

I think this will be a rough campaign.....first impressions, I agree with a 4-7 win campaign.

Games vs the Jets will resemble more along the lines of a Timmah vs Jimmy fight in the parking lot.

:lol:

If the Bills pegged 5 starters on the O-Line right now.....what are they looking at? Jason Peters at one tackle, I have no idea who the other tackle is.....Preston at center, Villa Real at one guard position. That is ugggggly. Maybe try and get some rookie talent from the draft, but how well are they going to develop with mediocre talent around them?