Andre Davis has signed!!!

Spanky46

Certainly not what I had in mind when thinking about Free Agents, but it's solid move. I wasn't very comfortable with Parrish at 3. I really hope Everett can be a target, cause right now we have what we need at the playmaker positions. NOW...THE LINE!

just herd on wgr55 that bills just signed WR Andrae Davis

yes, love this guy

625410[/snapback]

5 years, 25 million with 10 million up front? Or did we happen to get this particular backup player a little bit cheaper? God, I hope so.

YIPPEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :blink:  :)  :D  :D  ;)  ;)  :D

Do you think this signing will have any impact on the Moulds situation?

625404[/snapback]

My guess is that the Bills were trying to sign a decent WR before unloading Moulds. Otherwise, there's really no reason to sign a FA WR and could have drafted a prospect at a lower cost in R3-5.

he is a physical guy who can break huge plays.

i think our new OC wants to have a whole bunch of targets out on the field so that we can run or pass from any formation without showing tendencies.

You know, as someone who is a big Andre Davis fan, I'm sure this is going to come off as biased and cliched, but all this kid really needs is a chance. His entire career he's been stuck with teams that just stuck him in a rotation and never made his role clear to him...but every place he's gone he's shown tremendous ability and found ways to produce. Ask Browns fans and they'll tell you he was easily their most explosive receiver. Ask Patriots fans and even when he was low on the pecking order behind established Pats WRs like Givens, Brown and Branch...he still found a way to contribute AND still be a great special teams stud.

He's still young, oodles of talent and a very likeable player...a good addition to the team. We'll see if this has any bearing on Moulds situation.

The past 2 years, he's averaged over 20 YPC!  Although it's for a small number of catches, so it's not statistically significant.

625463[/snapback]

Kind of worries me at the same time. With stats like that you would think he would be in more. Especially on a team like the Browns who didn't have great WRs. When he's not breaking big plays he must be doing something wrong. Bad route runner? Doesn't block? I don't know. As a slot WR I guess it can't be too bad.

Kind of worries me at the same time.  With stats like that you would think he would be in more.  Especially on a team like the Browns who didn't have great WRs.  When he's not breaking big plays he must be doing something wrong.  Bad route runner?  Doesn't block?  I don't know.  As a slot WR I guess it can't be too bad.

Your guess is as good as mine. I think he'll be a great addition to the ST's at the very least. And his size and speed intrigue me.

You know, as someone who is a big Andre Davis fan, I'm sure this is going to come off as biased and cliched, but all this kid really needs is a chance.  His entire career he's been stuck with teams that just stuck him in a rotation and never made his role clear to him...but every place he's gone he's shown tremendous ability. 

He's still young, oodles of talent and a very likeable player...a good addition to the team.  We'll see if this has any bearing on Moulds situation.

625473[/snapback]

Do you think he has the potential to be a #1 WR? Looks like he has the size/speed combo for it, at the very least....

The past 2 years, he's averaged over 20 YPC!  Although it's for a small number of catches, so it's not statistically significant.

625463[/snapback]

Kind of worries me at the same time.  With stats like that you would think he would be in more.  Especially on a team like the Browns who didn't have great WRs.  When he's not breaking big plays he must be doing something wrong.  Bad route runner?  Doesn't block?  I don't know.  As a slot WR I guess it can't be too bad.

625474[/snapback]

Didn't he have Holcomb throwing him the ball in Cle?

We all know KH cant throw that far! :blink:

Do you think he has the potential to be a #1 WR? Looks like he has the size/speed combo for it, at the very least....

625478[/snapback]

Its a tough call, the problem with Davis is no one has really ever given him a shot at being a starter. When he was with the Browns, they had that idiotic "rotating" WR system that had him start one week, down to the slot the next week, back up to the start the following week, etc...messed him (and the rest of the Browns WRs) up for sure. Davis I think could surprise some people during Training Camp when you see just how fast he is...so, I'm going to say yes, he has all the talent to be a starter in the NFL. Maybe not a #1 but a strong #2 who can outmuscle his way around CBs.

625474[/snapback]

He's been a very one dimensional WR since he entered the league. By that I don't mean he can't do other things, as he shown to be a great Gunner and KR, what I mean is all he runs is fly patterns. That's not to discredit him, as Malta pointed out he is an immensely talented player, he just hasn't been able to put it all together.

One thing I do know is if Vernon Davis is in the cards in addition to Andre our ability to stretch the seems would be limitless. Andre is actually a better deep threat then Lee if that's possible, and if you had the duke splitting the seem with Parrish and Moulds underneath it would be a match up nightmare for any defensive coordinator.

He's been a very one dimensional WR since he entered the league. By that I don't mean he can't do other things, as he shown to be a great Gunner and KR, what I mean is all he runs is fly patterns.  That's not to discredit him, as Malta pointed out he is an immensely talented player, he just hasn't been able to put it all together.

625487[/snapback]

Yup.

Specializes in fly patterns and the 20-yard curl-out. Reminds me of someone else on the roster - Lee Evans.

Not that I dislike the signing. I'm just wondering what they're going to do to address the middle of the offense (which happens to be the most important). A TE and a physical slot receiver (sorry Roscoe) are still needed.

If the Bills were so quick to sign Davis, I don't believe he will be their 4th or 5th WR. Therefore, either Moulds is as good as gone or Levy/Jauron are going to make Roscoe go play in the kids zone come training camp.

I believe the WR corps will end up something like this on opening day...

Evans

Davis

Parrish

Aiken or Smith

Posession WR drafted in the 4th or 5th round.

If the Bills were so quick to sign Davis, I don't believe he will be their 4th or 5th WR.  Therefore, either Moulds is as good as gone or Levy/Jauron are going to make Roscoe go play in the kids zone come training camp.

I believe the WR corps will end up something like this on opening day...

Evans

Davis

Parrish

Aiken or Smith

Posession WR drafted in the 4th or 5th round.

625600[/snapback]

I believe sometime during training camp the Bills will let go of Smith. I just have not been that impressed with him as of late.

As for drafting a possesion receiver later in the draft, how about Jason Avant?

He could be a good find with one of our 3rd round picks.

I believe sometime during training camp the Bills will let go of Smith. I just have not been that impressed with him as of late.

As for drafting a possesion receiver later in the draft, how about Jason Avant?

He could be a good find with one of our 3rd round picks.

625641[/snapback]

I really like Mike Hass out of Oregon, but I doubt he will still be there in the 3rd round and the Bills have to many needs to be spending another 2nd round pick on a WR.