2006 Mock Draft

marck

As I read and review various draft reports and publications I find that I can't get over the feeling the Mario Williams is th ebest player in this draft.

There are three positions that you draft a franchise talent with the 1st pick in the draft, QB, Pass rushing DE and LT. History has shown that teams that do that are successful in the long run.

Go back to the 2002 NFL draft. Houston took David Carr, the best player in that draft has turned out to be Dwight Freeney or Julius Peppers. This is why I think there is going to be a shocker on draft day. The Raiders want to get access to Mario Williams, the Texans would prefer to trade down and have no takers so I think the draft order goes as follows:

Houston - Mario Williams - DE

New Orleans - Matt Leinhert - QB

Tennessee - Vince Young - QB

NY Jets - Jay Cutler - QB

Green Bay - AJ Hawk - LB

San Francisco - Reggie Bush - RB

Oakland - Michael Huff - S

The Bills are at 8 with Ferguson, Ngata and Vernon Davis on the board. What to you all do in this scenario?

Questions and comments would be appreciated.

As I read and review various draft reports and publications I find that I can't get over the feeling the Mario Williams is th ebest player in this draft.

There are three positions that you draft a franchise talent with the 1st pick in the draft, QB, Pass rushing DE and LT.  History has shown that teams that do that are successful in the long run.

Go back to the 2002 NFL draft.  Houston took David Carr, the best player in that draft has turned out to be Dwight Freeney or Julius Peppers.  This is why I think there is going to be a shocker on draft day.  The Raiders want to get access to Mario Williams, the Texans would prefer to trade down and have no takers so I think the draft order goes as follows:

Green Bay - AJ Hawk - LB

The Bills are at 8 with Ferguson, Ngata and Vernon Davis on the board.  What to you all do in this scenario?

619941[/snapback]

Interesting scenario, but i cant see reggie bush falling that far. Someone will trade up and take him before SF.

As for the Bills, with 14:58 left on the clock, tags better have the draft card with D'Brick's name on it.

There are three positions that you draft a franchise talent with the 1st pick in the draft, QB, Pass rushing DE and LT.  History has shown that teams that do that are successful in the long run.

Go back to the 2002 NFL draft.  Houston took David Carr, the best player in that draft has turned out to be Dwight Freeney or Julius Peppers.  This is why I think there is going to be a shocker on draft day.  The Raiders want to get access to Mario Williams, the Texans would prefer to trade down and have no takers so I think the draft order goes as follows:

Green Bay - AJ Hawk - LB

The Bills are at 8 with Ferguson, Ngata and Vernon Davis on the board.  What to you all do in this scenario?

619941[/snapback]

Me, I go get another beer while I wait for the Bills to pick! :P

As for the Bills, with 14:58 left on the clock, tags better have the draft card with D'Brick's name on it.

619942[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly!

Based on the last three years, I make sure there are no sharp objects within easy reach.

619955[/snapback]

Unfortunately, also my sentiments exactly. Then again, Donahoe is gone...

ML would never hear the end of it if he took a TE with the 8th position with the OL and DL in the shape they are in.

620097[/snapback]

If they're set on using the pick along the lines, I think a trade down is probably the best option.

D'Brick -- no matter what we did in free agency (assuming that begins before the draft).

620121[/snapback]

Which team is moving down to give us the opportunity to get into the position to draft him? In the ideal world, he'd be my first round pick (just ahead of Mario Williams), but I just don't see him falling to the 8th spot.

You have to take Ferguson. There are other TE's in this draft - maybe not with the impact that Davis should have but they should be dam good. Anthony Fasano ND comes to mind and should be there for the second pick. He should be as good as Heath Miller and has played in a pro stye offense.

Ferguson is the only true LT in this draft. IMO

Which team is moving down to give us the opportunity to get into the position to draft him?  In the ideal world, he'd be my first round pick (just ahead of Mario Williams), but I just don't see him falling to the 8th spot.

620132[/snapback]

I agree 100%, but I was giving an answer based on the senario spelled out in the original post of this thread.

I'd flip a coin between Ferguson and Davis. I think Davis is a bit better prospect, but Ferguson will be a very, very good player on an OL that has been a problem for a long time. I would lean slightly towards Davis, based upon need (I don't think our OTs are that bad), but Ferguson would be an excellent addition as well.

Mario Williams is the only player I'd take ahead of either of them and I feel is the best player in this draft.

I agree 100%, but I was giving an answer based on the senario spelled out in the original post of this thread.

620242[/snapback]

Understood. Looks like we'd both take Ferguson.

Too bad this scenario won't happen in all likelihood.

Green Bay - AJ Hawk - LB

619941[/snapback]

You have alluded to the Bill Polian rule for team building. I've posted it several times in the past but it's worth repeating. In the early nineties he was asked what are the most important ingredients in building a team; what positions do you place the premium on. While he talked about character and "football mentality" which are important, he listed the 5 positions you start with. They are:

1.) QB - for obvious reasons, but one who can take control of a game.

2.) DE - to rush that all important QB

3.) LT - to protect that all important QB from the all important DE

4.) RB - to take pressure of the QBs passing game

5.) WR - a reliable go-to guy for the QB to pass to.

If you look at his teams, he's built them all the same way. Not necessarily in the order listed (not all positions are available all the time in every draft) but all his teams have these basic 5 ingredients. It's a can't miss formula on a team with character guys to fill the cracks. The Bills, IMO, are about PERHAPS 1 maybe 2 of the 5 right now.

While I've always been a big propopent of taking the best player available no matter what, Williams' grade is either superior to or a tenth under anyone else's so I would love to see him if available.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree that there is no way that Marv drafts a tight end at #8 with the Bills using a relatively high pick on Kevin Everett - it is a luxury this team can't afford this year. Ngata is a terrific prospect and there is more OL depth than DL, but something tells me D'Brick would be the choice. Marv has tremendous OL in the Bills heyday and we need a stud or two there to turn this thing around. However, if they go after Runyan, then all bets are off. At that point, they could trade down to acquire picks or take Ngata.

Sorry, who was the 4th choice?...How about-i didn't even know the guy we took was rated for the first round...or, are you sure that's the correct weight of the guy we just drafted...did we just draft another high effort, white DE...i can't wait until the next year for our draft pick to start... :w00t:

Green Bay - AJ Hawk - LB

619941[/snapback]

Buffalo and top round picks have failed in all three scenarios relative to who you ask.

qb- Jp. I haven't given up but many have already.

de- Flowers... Oh canada....

lt- couldn't even play on the frickin left side and four years later he's gone.

At this point I just want a good player. I want it to be that TE out of Maryland but I won't be heart broken if Ngata or D'brick or Williams falls to us. Vern Davis is a franchise player, who is addition an absolute freak.

Preys

"With the 8th pick in the 2006 NFL draft The Buffalo Bills take Vernon Davis, Tight End, Maryland."

T_R