the tight end has a HUGE part of the qb's play.

Let's take a look at Drew Brees and Antonio Gates. In his rookie year Antonio Gates had 24 rec. 396 yds. and 2 tds. Drew Brees threw for 2108yds 11tds 15 ints. But when Antonio Gates exploded onto the scene and had 81rec 964yds and 13 tds, Drew Brees threw for 3159yds 27tds 7ints. Just look at all of the great quarterbacks: P.Manning and Dallas Clark/Marcus Pollard, T. Brady and Ben Watson/Daniel Graham, T.Green and Tony Gonzalez. With that being said, I strongly feel that the tight end greatly affects the qb's play. So, I think the Bills should draft VERNON DAVIS!

Let's take a look at Drew Brees and Antonio Gates.  In his rookie year Antonio Gates had 24 rec. 396 yds. and 2 tds. Drew Brees threw for 2108yds 11 tds 15 ints.  But when Antonio Gates exploded onto the scene and had 81rec 964yds and 13 tds, Drew Brees threw for 3159yds 27tds 7ints. With that being said, I think the Bills should draft VERNON DAVIS!

618021[/snapback]

I agree with that arguement and I know that Vernon Davis is very talented but is he the same kind of player as Gates? What I mean is, Gates is very tall and can pull down any pass that gets near him. I believe Davis has good hands but he is several inches shorter than Gates. His specialty seems to be playing similar to a WR by stretching the field etc... Would he be an easy outlet for JP the same way Gates is for Brees... Not sure.

I agree with that arguement and I know that Vernon Davis is very talented but is he the same kind of player as Gates?  What I mean is, Gates is very tall and can pull down any pass that gets near him.  I believe Davis has good hands but he is several inches shorter than Gates.  His specialty seems to be playing similar to a WR by stretching the field etc...  Would he be an easy outlet for JP the same way Gates is for Brees... Not sure.

618026[/snapback]

That's correct. Gates is one-half inch taller than Davis, who was measured at 6'3.5" at the combine.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396811

Just look at all of the great quarterbacks: P.Manning and Dallas Clark/Marcus Pollard, T. Brady and Ben Watson/Daniel Graham, T.Green and Tony Gonzalez.

i may get bashed for saying this but i really thought that was a huge contributing factor to Drew Bledsoe's failures here. Remember how good he was when he had Ben Coates in NE? I'm not sure about Vernon Davis and whether or not the bills should take him, but we definitely do need an upgrade at TE.

Seems majority of TD passes within the 10 yard line are thrown to the TE. We are horrible in the red zone.

618091[/snapback]

exactly. I would kill for the bills to have a stud TE! :lol:

You'd get no argument from me. We have no starter at the position and Davis is one of the best TE prospects in the draft in years. The Bills haven't had a reliable target over the middle in a very long time. Its time to correct that situation.

Mario Williams is the only player I would definitely take ahead of Davis right now.

Let's take a look at Drew Brees and Antonio Gates.  In his rookie year Antonio Gates had 24 rec. 396 yds. and 2 tds. Drew Brees threw for 2108yds 11tds 15 ints.  But when Antonio Gates exploded onto the scene and had 81rec 964yds and 13 tds, Drew Brees threw for 3159yds 27tds 7ints. Just look at all of the great quarterbacks: P.Manning and Dallas Clark/Marcus Pollard, T. Brady and Ben Watson/Daniel Graham, T.Green and Tony Gonzalez. With that being said, I strongly feel that the tight end greatly affects the qb's play. So, I think the Bills should draft VERNON DAVIS!

618021[/snapback]

All of those teams you mention have great o-lines. C'mon people we need to address both sides of the line so these players at our talented postions can flourish.

If the Bills were to draft Davis, they would still have at least 7 more picks to improve both lines. And of course, there's also the free agency period.

They will have plenty of opportunities to improve both lines even if they choose not to use the 8th pick for it.

If the Bills were to draft Davis,  they would still have at least 7 more picks to improve both lines.  And of course,  there's also the free agency period. 

They will have plenty of opportunities to improve both lines even if they choose not to use the 8th pick for it.

618136[/snapback]

xactly

if we get some guys for the lines in FA i'd be happy with davis.

davis blocks too.

Let's take a look at Drew Brees and Antonio Gates.  In his rookie year Antonio Gates had 24 rec. 396 yds. and 2 tds. Drew Brees threw for 2108yds 11tds 15 ints.  But when Antonio Gates exploded onto the scene and had 81rec 964yds and 13 tds, Drew Brees threw for 3159yds 27tds 7ints. Just look at all of the great quarterbacks: P.Manning and Dallas Clark/Marcus Pollard, T. Brady and Ben Watson/Daniel Graham, T.Green and Tony Gonzalez. With that being said, I strongly feel that the tight end greatly affects the qb's play. So, I think the Bills should draft VERNON DAVIS!

618021[/snapback]

Kyle Boller still sucks and he has Todd Heap....

I definitely agree that a good TE would play a major role in helping out our offense. With our recent TEs, it's no wonder our redzone offense was horrible. I like Vernon Davis alot. However, we just can't pass on addressing our lines. Plus, I believe we could get a guy like Anthony Fasano of Notre Dame in the later rounds who could be a redzone target. With our speed at WR, I really just want a big guy to find a hole in the defense in the middle of the field.

I was fighting the urge to say the same thing, but I have to agree that a TE might be the best pick

618160[/snapback]

The curse of TD still lingers!!!

Davis does seem to have great potential, but I can't help but think a skill player with our first pick may be leading us down an all too familiar path.

UM's coach said Everett had more raw physical talent than ANY TE he had at Miami. That said, raw talent doesnt translate into being a great player. I think he could be a really good TE. Drafting a TE when we have many other needs is foolish though (in my opinion, not insulting anyone). How is he gonna ever catch a pass if our qbs get sacked before they get to their 3rd step?