Redskins could be in big trouble

LabattBlue

per nfl.com...

SKINNED

Without an extension of the collective bargaining agreement, this could be one of the bloodiest weeks the NFL has witnessed, with more teams cutting more players at this time of the year than the league ever has seen.

And no team is in worse shape than the Washington Redskins, who some league insiders believe will have to cut anywhere from 15 to 20 players.

Those numbers will depend on how many players will be willing to restructure their contracts, but one NFL general manager who reviewed Washington's salary-cap situation wondered how the Redskins will even be able to field a team.

For starters, the Redskins are expected to release defensive backs Matt Bowen and Walt Harris, defensive linemen Renaldo Wynn and Brandon Noble, wide receivers James Thrash and Taylor Jacobs, center Cory Raymer, and kicker John Hall. Even with all those moves, the Redskins still will be significantly over the salary cap, requiring them to release even more players from their roster.

No team is rooting for a CBA extension any harder than Washington. Otherwise, the Redskins team next weekend will be considerably different from the one they have this weekend.

Makes my day to know that little Danny Snyder's team is about to be torn apart. :D

per nfl.com...

SKINNED

Without an extension of the collective bargaining agreement, this could be one of the bloodiest weeks the NFL has witnessed, with more teams cutting more players at this time of the year than the league ever has seen.

And no team is in worse shape than the Washington Redskins, who some league insiders believe will have to cut anywhere from 15 to 20 players.

Those numbers will depend on how many players will be willing to restructure their contracts, but one NFL general manager who reviewed Washington's salary-cap situation wondered how the Redskins will even be able to field a team.

For starters, the Redskins are expected to release defensive backs Matt Bowen and Walt Harris, defensive linemen Renaldo Wynn and Brandon Noble, wide receivers James Thrash and Taylor Jacobs, center Cory Raymer, and kicker John Hall. Even with all those moves, the Redskins still will be significantly over the salary cap, requiring them to release even more players from their roster.

No team is rooting for a CBA extension any harder than Washington. Otherwise, the Redskins team next weekend will be considerably different from the one they have this weekend.

Makes my day to know that little Danny Snyder's team is about to be torn apart. :D

613206[/snapback]

No problem. They can just field all of their assistant coaches :doh:

Dan Synder has some pull. I'll bet he's not worried to much. Seems like every year everyone worries about the Redskins being over the cap and yet they make the playoffs this year. Seems to me they know how to work the cap.

Will see............... :D

I'm trying to find a guy there they'd miss. Most of the guys he named have been in decline for the last 3 years: Jacobs, Thrash, Bowen, Noble, Harris. Most have been to more than 2 teams, as well.

613267[/snapback]

And Noble might never play again -- in fact, he's probably lucky to be alive after a bout with MRSA:

Washington Post article

per nfl.com...

SKINNED

613206[/snapback]

Not only does that put a smile on my face for what it does to Snyder's team, but one would think their situation just might push him to break ranks of the nine owners refusing to share more of the presently non-shared revenue and get that vote passed!

I thought Snyder was one of the five that was holding this thing up and wouldn't agree to revenue sharing for the new deal. I must be wrong, it sounds like the Skins are all types of screwed if this thing doesn't get done.

The first man cut should be Brunell. The guy flat sucks. He reminded me this season of Drew's final year with the Bills -- the Skins' D and running game saved every game, but Brunell seemingly tried over and over agian to blow each game.

This is actually hugely important, as Snyder has so far been one of the major obstacles to a new revenue-sharing deal, which is at the heart of the issues holding up the new contract.

JDG

Sorry for this request for education, but why exactly does the Skins' future hinge on a new CB deal? Does the cap not go up from last year if a deal isn't struck?

613507[/snapback]

With a new CBA, the cap is expected to go up another 5 million.

Sorry for this request for education, but why exactly does the Skins' future hinge on a new CB deal? Does the cap not go up from last year if a deal isn't struck?

613507[/snapback]

A new cap deal will probably mean that the owners have agreed to share a greater portion of overall revenues. The salary cap is set as a proportion of shared revenues, and indeed, under a new deal that propotion is expected to go up. Thus, a new cap deal will probably dramatically increase the cap well beyond the already-expected normal modest increase for this year.

JDG

per nfl.com...

SKINNED

613206[/snapback]

Don't count on it as soon as the new CBA is signed the cap will go up to $106 million a team. You can bet it will be signed by thursday this week.

The first man cut should be Brunell. The guy flat sucks. He reminded me this season of Drew's final year with the Bills -- the Skins' D and running game saved every game, but Brunell seemingly tried over and over agian to blow each game.

613498[/snapback]

Joe Gibbs horrible conservative play calling did not help either.....

Dan Synder has some pull. I'll bet he's not worried to much. Seems like every year everyone worries about the Redskins being over the cap and yet they make the playoffs this year. Seems to me they know how to work the cap.

Will see............... :lol:

613246[/snapback]

The redskins remind me of the bills in their hayday at the beginning of the salary. DSnyder has been robbing from the future for present gains. Well the future has caught up with him, ala Buffalo, SanFran, etc...

A new CBA will help them dramatically to keep what they have, but once that new CBA comes in effect and the cap goes up to 100+ a year, what do you think that a Top RB, CB or WR will want per year.....alot more jack than before.

It's all relative. You are just going to have to spend more for the top talent 10Mil+ per year.

Snyder still will not want to give up more money for shared revenue. He will just cut the players he needs to this year to meet the rules and then come 2007 as an uncapped year he will spend NY Yankees type money and buy every top free agent out on the market to try to win the Super Bowl.

Snyder still will not want to give up more money for shared revenue.  He will just cut the players he needs to this year to meet the rules and then come 2007 as an uncapped year he will spend NY Yankees type money and buy every top free agent out on the market to try to win the Super Bowl.

613872[/snapback]

Could be. I read somewhere that he just about doubled team overall revenue since he bought them, and only WW III would impact the stadium sellouts. :lol: