MM Blew it

ChevyVanMiller

I thought that I'd let the Oakland game go, but the admission by the NFL that the refs blew 3 calls has re-opened the wound.

I'm not down on MM. I still think he will be a top rate NFL head coach, but I couldn't, at the time and still don't, believe that he didn't challenge on a 4th and goal play.

What have you got to lose? A timeout? Compared with what you have to gain - 6 pts. - it's a no-brainer. If he would have thrown the red flag and lost who among us would have criticized him for burning the timeout?

It was a rookie mistake that cost the team a "W."

Let's hope he learns from his mistakes.

PS - A lot of radio hosts owe TH an appology for ripping his inability to punch it in from the one.

In reality, Henry should have punched it in more conclusively. I know that's easy for me to say, but he slipped and lost his footing on what should have been an obvious touchdown. Hindsight being 20/20, Mularkey should have challenged, but it didn't seem all that clear-cut to me when it happened (or even now). I may be wrong, but I think the offense burned 1 or 2 of our 2nd half timeouts before this play and fear of a lack of timeouts going into the stretch might have influenced Mularkey's decision.

no chance in hell that play was going to be overturned in that stadium regardless of whether or not he made it. It was also too inconclusive to be overturned within the tight time constraints given of an NFL game in which the television networks demand a 3 hour time slot. I'm not sure what our time out situation was at the time....

Mularkey blew nothing, he gets his review orders from upstairs where they review the play, and its not like those coaches have 3-4 days to determine the validity of the call, they have less than a minute, and apparently they felt that what they were looking at was not worth risking a critical TO(we already used one i believe). Do not pin this on mularkey, he does not see the replays, he is at field level and that is not a good place to make a goal line call determination.

I thought that I'd let the Oakland game go, but the admission by the NFL that the refs blew 3 calls has re-opened the wound.

I'm not down on MM. I still think he will be a top rate NFL head coach, but I  couldn't, at the time and still don't, believe that he didn't challenge on a 4th and goal play.

What have you got to lose? A timeout? Compared with what you have to gain - 6 pts. - it's a no-brainer. If he would have thrown the red flag and lost who among us would have criticized him for burning the timeout?

It was a rookie mistake that cost the team a "W."

Let's hope he learns from his mistakes.

PS - A lot of radio hosts owe TH an appology for ripping his inability to punch it in from the one.

44426[/snapback]

he blew it by letting henry try it, and not McGahee. Apparently he wasnt present for the preseason scoring clinic McGahee put on in the redzone.

44471[/snapback]

I guess putting in Mcgahee he would be ignoring Henry 23 TD's in two season's 5th highest total in the NFL last two seasons.....

I guess putting in Mcgahee he would be ignoring Henry 23 TD's in two season's 5th highest total in the NFL last two seasons.....

44476[/snapback]

give me his stats on scoring touchdowns with one chance from the 2yrd line or closer.

What you said is like saying "They should let dogs drive, after all, they are known for their sense of direction"

he blew it by letting henry try it, and not McGahee. Apparently he wasnt present for the preseason scoring clinic McGahee put on in the redzone.

---------------------

from Antonio Brown's performance in last years preaseason he should have been one of the top returners in the league.

If MM gave the ball to McGahee we would have been b!tching that he should have given Travis another try.

I disagree with this. McGahee is a shifty back and there is no room for it when you are at the 1 in Oakland against the first stringers.

no chance in hell that play was going to be overturned in that stadium regardless of whether or not he made it. It was also too inconclusive to be overturned within the tight time constraints given of an NFL game in which the television networks demand a 3 hour time slot. I'm not sure what our time out situation was at the time....

44452[/snapback]

Right, you are. Too many people get caught up in the emotion of the moment and lose sight of the fact that there must be "clear, indisputable, visual evidence" to overturn a call. All of the views of that play were far from conclusive. The Bills would have lost that challenge. The officials still would've made the wrong call by not overturning it and would be in the same position they are today. I actually would have been more pissed if the Bills challenged and the refs got it wrong. It would sting more than a judgement call on the field that the Bills didn't challenge.

give me his stats on scoring touchdowns with one chance from the 2yrd line or closer.

What you said is like saying "They should let dogs drive, after all, they are known for their sense of direction"

44481[/snapback]

Hmmmmmmmm......

Let me see...

23 TD's(in 31 games) in NFL regular season action......

or....

2 TD's(in 4 games) in NFL preseason action......

C'mon now....

Mularkey blew nothing, he gets his review orders from upstairs where they review the play, and its not like those coaches have 3-4 days to determine the validity of the call, they have less than a minute, and apparently they felt that what they were looking at was not worth risking a critical TO(we already used one i believe).  Do not pin this on mularkey, he does not see the replays, he is at field level and that is not a good place to make a goal line call determination.

44460[/snapback]

Totally agree. And aren't those guys upstairs at the mercy of what the network is showing as to replays?

Hmmmmmmmm......

Let me see...

23 TD's(in 31 games) in NFL regular season action......

or....

2 TD's(in 4 games) in NFL preseason action......

C'mon now....

44491[/snapback]

you're right. And I wasnt being a smart ass. I really want to know how many TDs Henry has punched in. I know he's had alot. But how many where he has to bull rush his way in? We saw McGahee do it recently, so its fresh (albeit preseason).

Either way, its over and done with, so no point in debating it. But next time, give old #21 a shot. Maybe. I don't know. My brain is fryed today. No sleep. Been up since 5:00 doing actualy labor.

Just give me Henrys stats when in a goaline situation, and Ill be happy. :lol:

Mularkey blew nothing, he gets his review orders from upstairs where they review the play, and its not like those coaches have 3-4 days to determine the validity of the call, they have less than a minute, and apparently they felt that what they were looking at was not worth risking a critical TO(we already used one i believe).  Do not pin this on mularkey, he does not see the replays, he is at field level and that is not a good place to make a goal line call determination.

44460[/snapback]

You beat me to the punch. Instant replay challenges are probably the one thing that coaches are going to take a beating on and just can't win. They get hammered if they don't challenge and they get hammered if they do challenge and are incorrect. MM gets no criticism from me in this regard.

you're right. And I wasnt being a smart ass. I really want to know how many TDs Henry has punched in. I know he's had alot. But how many where he has to bull rush his way in? We saw McGahee do it recently, so its fresh (albeit preseason).

Either way, its over and done with, so no point in debating it. But next time, give old #21 a shot. Maybe. I don't know. My brain is fryed today. No sleep. Been up since 5:00 doing actualy labor.

Just give me Henrys stats when in a goaline situation, and Ill be happy. :lol:

44502[/snapback]

I'm not sure were i could find that but i do know Henry was 5 for his first 5 inside the 10 yd line attempts(vs NE/Jack)...so his 0 for 2 start tells me he is bound to get in at good rate in the upcoming games...

I don't think it should have been challenged but as far as giving the ball to McGahee, yes I think they should have.  Henry couldn't knock it last week, so I would have said give McGahee a chance.

44500[/snapback]

I say bring in McGahee as a decoy and play action pass. Before you all call me Gilbride you have to admit. If McGahee is in the game and Bledsoe turns towards him after the snap, EVERYONE is thinking he gets it and bites on the fake. :lol:

By the way, if you replay that 4th down play at the goal line, watch #84 Mark Campbell completely whiff on his block and ROOKIE Tim Euhus get stood up and trip Henry! Also, if you watch Henry closely when he runs he has a tendency to cut off the wrong foot resulting in many slips. Watch Priest Holmes and you will see the proper way to setup and execute the cuts. Details matter.

What the hell is ROOKIE Mularkey using two tight ends for? How about a using another lineman and only one TE. Tackle eligible anyone? Campbell blows, Euhus is green.

Another huge weak link for the Bills TIGHT END! The freakin Pats have 3 TE's better than our starter.

This is a flawed team that needs improvement in many areas. I didn't even mention how bad Bledsoe is.

I think that you all are missing the point. I'm not saying that the call would have been reversed, but I am saying that for a team with playoff aspirations it's a chance that you have to take.

Henry reached out and put the ball over the goal line. I know that the refs could have covered their a$$ by saying that his foward progress was stopped, but when your offense only averages one TD per game I think you need to roll the bones.

BTW, if it was totally inconclusive, why did the NFL league office take a stand against its own refs by saying that it was a TD?