Just think, Buffalo - Toronto

BuffaloBud

Guest BackInDaDay

What a great idea! That picture of the rink on Michigan's field is a classic.

Outside of roller hockey, the only outdoor game i've seen was in the movie "Mystery, Alaska" . :pirate:

I like the idea. For many hockey players, they have a history of pond hockey. I had a rink in my back yard in Buffalo. Unfortunately, we had this huge maple tree next to the rink whose roots would move the earth / crack the ice when the wind would gust.

As for Saturday, it should be a tough match. Although they are having a tough year, I hope the Buckeyes pull it off.

Guest BackInDaDay
I already e-mailed the Sabres a few mnths ago asking if they would consider it.  The respondant (a low level peon, I'm sure) said no.

PTR

600709[/snapback]

That's "low level peon bastard' to you.

i was supposed to go see the edmonton-montreal outdoor game but tickets were sold out very quickly.  It would have been a tough game to watch in the -40 degree january weather though.

600360[/snapback]

Tell you what, even I was thinking of making that trip. Get this -- they didn't even SHOW that game down here in the States. (I was lucky enough to be in Buffalo that weekend, and caught it on one of the Canadian channels I can't get down here in PA...)

(Bleep) the weather, that whole atmosphere was just UNREAL. Once-in-a-lifetime stuff. Think I've still got a pic of Theodore wearing the toque on top of his goalie mask...

Tell you what, even I was thinking of making that trip. Get this -- they didn't even SHOW that game down here in the States. (I was lucky enough to be in Buffalo that weekend, and caught it on one of the Canadian channels I can't get down here in PA...)

(Bleep) the weather, that whole atmosphere was just UNREAL. Once-in-a-lifetime stuff. Think I've still got a pic of Theodore wearing the toque on top of his goalie mask...

600756[/snapback]

i saw the game

although it was a great game, it's un natural to ask human beings to play hockey in that kind of weather. I don't think any city in the USA gets cold to that point, and i felt bad for those people would probably couldn't feel their limbs for weeks after that game.

This year has been relatively mild here in terms of averages but on average, we get cold weather like this for all of January and February, and I'm kind of happy i didn't pay the expenses to go there and free my ass

ps i have tickets in back of the visitors bench to see the Habs vs Thrashers tomorrow, i hope it's a good game.

After that Edmonton game, I always thought the idea of a game at RWS would be great. I'd go for sure

BTW, there are 6 guys next to my Bills seats that come down from Toronto for every game. They're OK, every game at least once, for a cheer they start yelling "GO LEAFS GO" :doh:

$20 each for 60,000  seats has profit written all over it

600608[/snapback]

Eddie I hate to differ with you but how many people actually pay to see hockey games in Buffalo? If people DID go they would be taking money they would be paying for a regular game and depress sales of several regular games. You would have some come into town just for this game but most of the people going would be the same fans who see them downtown.

Eddie I hate to differ with you but how many people actually pay to see hockey games in Buffalo? If people DID go they would be taking money they would be paying for a regular game and depress sales of several regular games.  You would have some come into town just for this game but most of the people going would be the same fans who see them downtown.

600867[/snapback]

Well they have supported this team with the exception of the 02-04 seasons....and for an "event" like this, you have to be kidding yourself if you don't think WNY would come out in full boar....However, living in Virginia, maybe you have lost touch with the way WNY'ers are!

Well they have supported this team with the exception of the 02-04 seasons....and for an "event" like this, you have to be kidding yourself if you don't think WNY would come out in full boar....However, living in Virginia, maybe you have lost touch with the way WNY'ers are!

600904[/snapback]

No what I am saying that money spent that day would most likely would come from coffers of other games so the Sabres would gain some publicity but not net any money from such a stunt.

As for the game the Bucks just couldn't pull it off. They have been hit hard with injuries and Wisconsin is just a better team. It looked like a great atmosphere though, wish I could have gone.

I for one would make the trip up to Buffalo to see a game between the Sabres and Leafs. I think that many people would, and not just limited to Buffalo or Toronto fans.

There are some rumors floating around that OSU-Michigan are in talks about playing a game outdoors in the Big House. I think it will happen sometime, just not anytime soon. Next year Boston College and Boston are playing in Fenway Park. They are looking for two Midwestern rivals to play as well. It is looking like MSU-UM at the moment, but OSU is also in the mix.

Eddie I hate to differ with you but how many people actually pay to see hockey games in Buffalo? If people DID go they would be taking money they would be paying for a regular game and depress sales of several regular games.  You would have some come into town just for this game but most of the people going would be the same fans who see them downtown.

600867[/snapback]

Eight sellouts in the last eleven games. Not Adelphia-freebie-padded sellouts, either.

I haven't been to a Sabres game since they played at the Aud. Would I go to the Ralph to watch an outdoor game? You damn betcha...

I would suggest making your feelings known to the Sabres. If enough people e-mailed them supporting the idea of an outdoor game, I'm sure they would try to do it. I also think a Leafs/Sabes game would sell out, although there may be more Leafs fans in RWS.

I can't find this year's average ticket price, but in 2004 it was about $36. A full arena means a gross of $650,000. Even at an average price of $25, a full RWS means a gross of $1.8 Million!

I think it comes down to whether the Sabres feel fans will show up. If they can't sell out HSBC, I can see why they would be afraid to have to fill RWS. But then again, an RWS game would be a a major event. A spectacle, The battle on the border! Like I said, there may be more Leafs fans, but I am positive they could sell the game out.

PTR

One more note to add to Promo's last post -- football seating probably wouldn't equal hockey seating. Not sure they'd even try to sell some of the upper deck, since you'd never be able to see the puck from up there.

The Wisky-OSU game yesterday got about 40,000 in 72,000-seat Lambeau Field. UW won, and the entire team celebrated with a Lambeau Leap. Very cool... and I don't mean temperature-wise...

One more note to add to Promo's last post -- football seating probably wouldn't equal hockey seating. Not sure they'd even try to sell some of the upper deck, since you'd never be able to see the puck from up there.

The Wisky-OSU game yesterday got about 40,000 in 72,000-seat Lambeau Field. UW won, and the entire team celebrated with a Lambeau Leap. Very cool... and I don't mean temperature-wise...

601435[/snapback]

I wonder if my PSL for the Van Miller club gives me first rights to my seats for any non-football event.

I wonder if my PSL for the Van Miller club gives me first rights to my seats for any non-football event.

601438[/snapback]

Yes. We had dibs for the DCI (Drum Corps International) World Championships when they were last held at the Ralph... 2003, I think?

Not sure quite how that works, since we're in the Kelly Club and they didn't open up the away side of the stadium. I do know that the DCI website couldn't even take orders for those seats until after the Bills suite/clubseat owners had a chance to order them, though...

We'd come up from Richmond. Hell we freeze our asses off every year for a Bills game in December. If they sold 40,000 tickets at the average price of $25 per that comes to a cool $1mil. If the Sabres are presently averaging $36 per seat with 18,000 seats that is apx. $650,000.00 or this game would be a plus of about $350,000.00 minus the cost to use the stadium, minus, minus, minus the Sabre's could make a couple bucks plus some pretty good national media exposure, read PR.

Oh what the hell, just do it Marv or is that Brandon or oh hell which VP would be in charge of this?

Maybe it would be a good time for Ralph and Tommy G to start talking??!! :D

Guest BackInDaDay
Maybe it would be a good time for Ralph and Tommy G to start talking??!! :D

601845[/snapback]

Hand over the Bills at center ice? :lol:

601435[/snapback]

Considering the boards would block part of your sight line in terms of following the puck, I would have to believe that the seats in the upper deck would be preferred over the end zone seats(especially the lower rows). But then again, I've always been a fan of the upper deck vantage point at RWS. :D

this could be an amazing idea...let alone the ticket sales between the rival Sabres and Leafs, which are nearly always sellouts at both arena, but the sponsorship and television opportunities for an event like this are nearly endless.

Could you imagine the type of crowd and hype this event could garner if the game had serious playoff implications? The NHL, Sabres and Leafs would be foolish not to seriously consider this, especially with the NHL attempting to recover from a labor strike. Heck, if the game at the Ralph went well, who is to say the game next year couldn't be held at the Skydome? If this event is coordinated correctly and the fans really embrace it, we could be looking at the birth of the NHL's version of the Backyard Brawl.

601435[/snapback]

If the Sabres play the Leafs, you can pretty much be assured of a sellout, although more than half the fans would be rooting for the Leafs. Even the Canadiens would probably sell out.

As far as sight lines go, no one would go to the game for the view. More to be part of a special event. Put the game on the Jumbotron if you want to watch it up close.

Just do it.

PTR