Thurman Thomas HoF decision thread

SDS

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2007 first year eligible players: (taken from an old Dr.Z column)

Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, Randall Cunningham, Eric Allen, Carnell Lake, Bruce Matthews, Ricky Watters and Tony Boselli.

Luckily the only guy on that list who I think is worth first-year consideration is Bruce Matthews...so hopefully that'll allow the NFL HOF committee to pull their heads out of their butts and let Thurman in...that is if more legendary senior-selection players like Rayfield Wright dont keep him out again :blink:

2007 first year eligible players:  (taken from an old Dr.Z column)

Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, Randall Cunningham, Eric Allen, Carnell Lake, Bruce Matthews, Ricky Watters and Tony Boselli.

Luckily the only guy on that list who I think is worth first-year consideration is Bruce Matthews...so hopefully that'll allow the NFL HOF committee to pull their heads out of their butts and let Thurman in...that is if more legendary senior-selection players like Rayfield Wright dont keep him out again  :blink:

594365[/snapback]

Good find... Thurmal will make it next year.

Rayfield Wright, Harry Carson , and Madden ahead of Thurman ? And why does Moon get in before Thurman - No way Moon accomplished more than Thomas .

594315[/snapback]

My main issue isn't the numbers, Moon has those (though he put most of them up in a gimmick offense that hurt the team overall but put up lots of numbers). My issue is how good each player was in comparison to his contemporaries at the same position.

Thurmal was a top 3 back in the league for 5-6 of his playing years. The other backs in the top 3 were 2 of the best backs EVER to play the game. There was very little disagreement as to who the best backs in the NFL were during the early 90s: Barry, Emmitt and Thurman.

Moon, on the other hand, wasn't considered a top 3 QB during his playing days, probably not even in the top 5 for most of his years with guys like Elway, Marino, Kelly, Young, Montana ahead of him. So how do you justify putting a guy in the hall on his first ballot who wasn't considered one of the top 5 QBs in the league for most of his career while at the same time keeping a guy out that was a top 3 RB?

Another thing to consider in the Moon/Thomas debate is what their teams did. Thurman was the centerpiece to one of the best offenses the league has ever seen. An offense that led the team to 4 straight Super Bowls and played big when the team needed it most. Moon was the centerpiece to a very good offense that put up lots of numbers but also put it’s team in a position to lose games with its inability to maintain leads and a penchant for turning the ball over at the worst times. This was never more evident than in the playoffs.

This numbers thing is just ridiculous and the selection committee can use numbers to justify pretty much any selection. A prime example of this will be Jerome Bettis. The guy deserves to be in the HoF, no doubt. However during the course of his career when the discussion of the absolute best backs in the league come up Bettis' name was never (or rarely) mentioned. Yet, because he racked up lots of yards over a long career the guy will be a first ballot selection. Can anybody really tell me that Bettis is a better back than Thruman in primes?

Welcome to Canton, Reggie. The late DE was elected into the Hall of Fame today, 13 months after his death. Joining him are Troy Aikman, Harry Carson, John Madden, Warren Moon and Rayfield Wright.

As reported on ESPN.com.

Harry Carson getting in should leave some hope for Darryl Talley, because that's all Carson was to the Giants. I LOVE Talley, absolutly LOVE him, but would you put him in the HOF before Thurman? Carson was a good player who benefitted from playing with LT.

What did Rayfield Wright accomplish in the last year that he didn't accomplish in the last 25 years to make him all of a sudden a HOF'er? Puzzles me.

And the Moon issue has be well documented in this topic so I won't bother repeating how he shouldn't be in before TT.

The real reason Thurman didn't get selected this season is karma.  That last season in Miami meant he ended up on a ballot with Aikman, Reggie, and Moon instead of last season when he'd have easily joined Young and Marino.

594376[/snapback]

on the flip side, he could go in next year as the headliner and not a side show as he would have been these past two elections...

I watched the entire career of almost everyone on that list. With the exception of Reggie White, Thurman Thomas was a better player than every single one of them. This is just plain wrong.

Unfortunately, I think most of the older media guys who understood the game have retired and are no longer part of the HOF voting. (i.e. Larry Felser) The new generation of reporters have no interest in analysis. They just want to egg Joey Porter into money quotes and report the latest rumor.

They should be ashamed of their collective laziness today. The HOF should seriously consider giving votes to ex-players and coaches, and minimizing the cluelessness of today's media.

and what i dont get is its not like there were other runningbacks thermal was going up against...............reggie should be in he was dominate at his position,troy i guess by virtue of winning 3 superbowls but therman thomas i mean 5 pro bowls 8 straight 1000 yard sesons 4 superbowls and would been a mvp in one if we hadnt missed a field goal kick.....in thomases time it was him,emmit smith and barry sanders.therman was dominate in his time this makes no fuggin sense for him to not get the nod today

That's actually what I'd selfishly hoped for.  I wasn't wanting to make the trip with all those crackwagon fans.

594390[/snapback]

So maybe we got a nugget of gold wrapped in a stojan sandwich. This time next year, no one will care and my guess is that he will headline (unless Irvin trumps him :blink: ).

rayfield white was the other guy

i'm satisfied that michael irvin didn't even make the final cut, however, i think TT should have at least gotten in before moon and possibly before aikman.

594274[/snapback]

TT will get in next year. I thought for sure he'd be first ballot, though. Aikman is every bit as deserving as TT, if not moreso. So is Irvin.

There isn't one person chosen who didn't deserve to get in.  I'm disappointed for Thurman but he'll get in - and hopefully in a year with no Dallas Cowboys or Miami Dolphins.

594275[/snapback]

The real reason Thurman didn't get selected this season is karma.  That last season in Miami meant he ended up on a ballot with Aikman, Reggie, and Moon instead of last season when he'd have easily joined Young and Marino.

594376[/snapback]

IIRC That's also the reason that your first statement will never happen. Unfortunately, he'll go in as a Bill and as a, as a... as a dolphin! :blink: