Get San Diego's GM AJ Smith on the phone...

Tipster19

No, but he was a last minute fill in. I guess that you can call him a poor man's Rothelisberger. Donahoe wasn't and/or able to trade ahead of Pittsburgh and then did the next best thing, trade up and paid the premium. Between Donahoe's will and the fans' hope JP became a starter. Looks like Holcomb isn't what he's cracked up to be and Matthews is retiring. That leaves us with putting this team's hopes and aspirations on the arm of Losman. I for one would rather have a more solidified alternative.

The concept and the principal players of this trade can work, even if we had to tweak it with a swapping or giving of a later rd pick.

593874[/snapback]

Do you realize that the Bills would have to take an additional 2+ million hit to trade Losman? Do you realize that Brees won't be under contract to San Diego after Feb 21 because he was a "Franchise Player"? Do you realize that the Bills problems are on the offensive and defensive lines? No QB is going to play well behind the Bills O line.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but he was a last minute fill in. I guess that you can call him a poor man's Rothelisberger. Donahoe wasn't and/or able to trade ahead of Pittsburgh and then did the next best thing, trade up and paid the premium. Between Donahoe's will and the fans' hope JP became a starter. Looks like Holcomb isn't what he's cracked up to be and Matthews is retiring. That leaves us with putting this team's hopes and aspirations on the arm of Losman. I for one would rather have a more solidified alternative.

The concept and the principal players of this trade can work, even if we had to tweak it with a swapping or giving of a later rd pick.

593874[/snapback]

If you are going to solidify anything it had better be our lines. We can probably get an excellent DL with the 8th pick. We will hopefully pick up 2 OL FAs and another DL FA.

QB is not our biggest need. Is it a perfect situation yet? NO, but it is far outweighed by our needs on the lines. Add to that the fact that it is not known if Brees will be 100% by training camp and you've got yourself a novel but totally impractical and unrealistic idea.

You know what JDG? You might just have a better idea. Because Losman was taken with a 1st rd pick doesn't necessarily mean he's worth a 1st rd pick. When that draft was unfolding, he was being projected as POSSIBLY a mid 2nd rder. Keeping Losman as a back-up wouldn't be hateful. I don't think that we would have to worry about the QB position anymore. Your idea could be food for thought.

593902[/snapback]

Uh, if the Bills didn't take him, the Packers were going to be all over him.

JDG

Uh, if the Bills didn't take him, the Packers were going to be all over him.

JDG

593917[/snapback]

What you're feeling is quicksand. These guys will pull down into the mire, I tells ya.

The Packers were going to take him as a successor to Farve for the FUTURE not for the present. Bottomline is this, does everyone feel that we have no concerns with our QB position? Or with the production of Losman? We can grab players for ALL the other positions of need but it takes ONLY one player to be able to play QB. Fans beware, our QB position is VERY vunerable. These other positions can and will be worked out.

The Packers were going to take him as a successor to Farve for the FUTURE not for the present. Bottomline is this, does everyone feel that we have no concerns with our QB position? Or with the production of Losman? We can grab players for ALL the other positions of need but it takes ONLY one player to be able to play QB. Fans beware, our QB position is VERY vunerable. These other positions can and will be worked out.

593920[/snapback]

Of course there are concerns at qb.....serious concerns, but until we change the foundation of the team, it doesn't matter who is qb, because whoever is there will be slaughtered and/or ruined.

Can you truly not see this?

Oh yeah, but there is other alternatives to addressing these concerns. Forget this proposed trade scenario. How do we stabilize the QB position? The draft? Free agency? How about another trade? If so, who? Or do we just stand pat? This area needs to be addressed. No one wants to hear or face up to it because we paid the price for it already but that doesn't mean it was fixed. Hey, I would love for JP to be the solution so we can all live happily everafter.

Oh yeah, but there is other alternatives to addressing these concerns. Forget this proposed trade scenario. How do we stabilize the QB position? The draft? Free agency? How about another trade? If so, who? Or do we just stand pat? This area needs to be addressed. No one wants to hear or face up to it because we paid the price for it already but that doesn't mean it was fixed. Hey, I would love for JP to be the solution so we can all live happily everafter.

593924[/snapback]

Stand Pat

Next question...

593920[/snapback]

I've spent the last 10 years waiting for these other positions to be worked out. Get back to basics, give us solid lines.

It's time to put the horse back in front of the cart! I hate when people try to do things ass backwards.

593920[/snapback]

I think there is a HUGE quesiton at the QB position. Losman has done almost nothing so far to ever suggest he will be a starting QB for a playoff-caliber NFL team. At this stage of his career, that is extremely troubling.

Unfortunately, the Bills have such gaping holes elsewhere on their roster, I'm inclined to address those holes with our #8 pick, rather than use that pick on yet another QB.

Given the investment in Losman, he should definitely be on the Bills' roster in training camp. After an offseason of work, he will have an opportunity to demonstrate in camp what he failed to demonstrate this past season - that he is a better NFL QB than Kelly Holcomb. If he fails to do so, we'll go with Kelly Holcomb, who will do a fine job of managing games for us while we try to plug the holes on our offensive line and on defense. In the meantime, we maybe take a flyer on a late-round guy to be our #3 QB for next year, and to maybe have a shot to step in in 2007 or 2008 if and when Losman goes bust on us, maybe a guy like DJ Shockley of Georgia or Paul Pinegar of Fresno St.

I'm not going to address the QB situation by hoping that AJ Smith loses his sanity. ;-)

JDG

I think there is a HUGE quesiton at the QB position.   Losman has done almost nothing so far to ever suggest he will be a starting QB for a playoff-caliber NFL team.   At this stage of his career, that is extremely troubling.

593947[/snapback]

Why the drama? "At this stage of his career?" Dude has had 8 starts on a bad football team with a bad offensive line and incoherent scheme.

I think there is a HUGE quesiton at the QB position.  Losman has done almost nothing so far to ever suggest he will be a starting QB for a playoff-caliber NFL team.  At this stage of his career, that is extremely troubling.

JDG

593947[/snapback]

I really, seriously, do not understand this kind of statement from anyone who follows football, and I know you do. Losman has shown far more ability and talent and intangibles that suggest he will be a starting quarterback for a playoff caliber team than he hasn't shown. And I don't mean to say he played well because he often played terribly. But he has shown a ton.

He has shown he has a major league arm. he has shown he handles the ball extremely well, which is a tremendously underrated quality and something Hall of Famers like Dan Marino and future Hall of Famers like Bledsoe never mastered in their entire careers. He has has shown excellent touch on the long ball and all other throws. He has shown very good running ability, escapability, sense of the rush, looking downfield while scrambling, speed and running ability. He has shown a great interest in learning the game, and putting the time in to excel. Those things are more than 2/3 of the game. He can fire the ball into tight spots. He can throw with very good accuracy on the run.

That doesn't mean to imply that he is shoo-in for success. Far from it. But the kid has it all. What he hasn't shown, and what is going to make or break him, is an ability to read defenses, an ability to know when to take what you can get, an ability to lead a team and put them on your back, an ability to relax in the pocket and just throw the ball with accuracy and without thinking so much. An ability to not risk turnovers deep in your own end. That is all stuff that can be learned through experience, which he hasn't been given nearly enough of. The stuff he has shown often isn't stuff that can be learned.

He may not ever get to the point that the game slows down for him and he hits his mark. But if he does, and to me, most signs point to that, he's going to be a very good quarterback in this league. And hopefully on the Bills. This isn't an Andre Ware or David Klinger or Heath Shuler or Ryan leaf thing we are seeing here. He has already shown all he needs to show. What he has to learn is to do it for a full game, or several games in a row, and then a full season.

I really, seriously, do not understand this kind of statement from anyone who follows football, and I know you do. Losman has shown far more ability and talent and intangibles that suggest he will be a starting quarterback for a playoff caliber team than he hasn't shown. And I don't mean to say he played well because he often played terribly. But he has shown a ton.

He has shown he has a major league arm. he has shown he handles the ball extremely well, which is a tremendously underrated quality and something Hall of Famers like Dan Marino and future Hall of Famers like Bledsoe never mastered in their entire careers. He has has shown excellent touch on the long ball and all other throws. He has shown very good running ability, escapability, sense of the rush, looking downfield while scrambling, speed and running ability. He has shown a great interest in learning the game, and putting the time in to excel. Those things are more than 2/3 of the game. He can fire the ball into tight spots. He can thrown with very good accuracy on the run.

That doesn't mean to imply that he is shoo-in for success. Far from it. But the kid has it all. What he hasn't shown, and what is going to make or break him, is an ability to read defenses, an ability to know when to take what you can get, an ability to lead a team and put them on your back, an ability to relax in the pocket and just throw the ball with accuracy and without thinking so much. An ability to not risk turnovers deep in your own end. That is all stuff that can be learned through experience, which he hasn't been given nearly enough of. The stuff he has shown often isn't stuff that can be learned.

He may not ever get to the point that the game slows down for him and he hits his mark. But if he does, and to me, most signs point to that, he's going to be a very good quarterback in this league. And hopefully on the Bills. This isn't an Andre Ware or David Klinger or Heath Shuler or Ryan leaf thing we are seeing here. He has already shown all he needs to show. What he has to learn is to do it for a full game, or several games in a row, and then a full season.

593961[/snapback]

Obviously we've been watching the same guy...the same games.

Well, said you Dog.

There is a point that you're all missing. With or without Losman, we are seriously vunerable at this position. Now, if we were to keep him, he better play well or we're screwed. Here's the $64,000 question. What has he done or proven that makes fans so confident to be able to count on him to carry this team to any great success THIS season? Oh, just what I thought. '07 and '08 looks sooo good though. I don't know about how you or anyone else thinks but this league, the franchises in it and the PLAYERS are sure quick to point out how this is just a business. Yeah, well then I'm sick and tired of waiting on a positive return. And don't bother to tell me to get lost or that I'm not a good or loyal fan. It's too late for that crap. I've spent more than my share of money on Bills' merchandise, agonized in front of a tv week in week out, been ridiculed by non Bills fans (including family members who enjoyed our demise) and read every stinking article that I could get my hands on that were Bills related. No, it's always the fans who pay in every conceivable way and are the last to be considered or compensated. You can bank on Losman but at this point I guess that I'm just a little more skeptical.

Real simple. Buffalo is not such a bad team. They appear worse than what they really are. I think this team is more of a product of indecisiveness than any other variable. This on again-off again with our QBs has taken it's toll on everybody. Nothing personal with JP but if we could trade him and swap our 1st rd pick (#8) with San Diego for Drew Brees and their 1st rd pick (#19) then we should jump all over it. Brees is much more established and game ready. With Jauron and his defensive strategies a QB who can truly manage and win games is crucial. Reguardless if you like it or not, Losman isn't a lock to be able to provide this. This team could easily turn it's fortunes around with some good coaching, intelligent drafting and aquiring key FAs. Me, I want success NOW, not 2 or 3 years from now.

593809[/snapback]

Can I play poker with you?

PTR

You guys make me laugh. EVERYBODY is crying with what has been going on the last few years but somebody makes a suggestion and everybody is against it. You can't have your cake and eat it too. What success has this franchise have in this time? One season with a ballooned win/loss record that was popped when they actually faced a decent team (Pittsburgh) at home when it counted the most. What a joke! What did Donahoe really accomplished while he was here? Got us out of salary cap jail? Big deal! He purged the whole dam team. Anybody could of done that! Oh, wait, he got us a few marquis names and some aged veterans. The only real problem there was inconsistent results and records. People better be careful about spouting off about this next Brett Farve, he's Donahoe's chosen one.

You guys make me laugh. EVERYBODY is crying with what has been going on the last few years but somebody makes a suggestion and everybody is against it. You can't have your cake and eat it too. What success has this franchise have in this time? One season with a ballooned win/loss record that was popped when they actually faced a decent team (Pittsburgh) at home when it counted the most. What a joke! What did Donahoe really accomplished while he was here? Got us out of salary cap jail? Big deal! He purged the whole dam team. Anybody could of done that! Oh, wait, he got us a few marquis names and some aged veterans. The only real problem there was inconsistent results and records. People better be careful about spouting off about this next Brett Farve, he's Donahoe's chosen one.

594000[/snapback]

Watch out...He's gonna BLOW!!!! :blink: