Get San Diego's GM AJ Smith on the phone...

Tipster19

Real simple. Buffalo is not such a bad team. They appear worse than what they really are. I think this team is more of a product of indecisiveness than any other variable. This on again-off again with our QBs has taken it's toll on everybody. Nothing personal with JP but if we could trade him and swap our 1st rd pick (#8) with San Diego for Drew Brees and their 1st rd pick (#19) then we should jump all over it. Brees is much more established and game ready. With Jauron and his defensive strategies a QB who can truly manage and win games is crucial. Reguardless if you like it or not, Losman isn't a lock to be able to provide this. This team could easily turn it's fortunes around with some good coaching, intelligent drafting and aquiring key FAs. Me, I want success NOW, not 2 or 3 years from now.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Real simple. Buffalo is not such a bad team. They appear worse than what they really are. I think this team is more of a product of indecisiveness than any other variable. This on again-off again with our QBs has taken it's toll on everybody. Nothing personal with JP but if we could trade him and swap our 1st rd pick (#8) with San Diego for Drew Brees and their 1st rd pick (#19) then we should jump all over it. Brees is much more established and game ready. With Jauron and his defensive strategies a QB who can truly manage and win games is crucial. Reguardless if you like it or not, Losman isn't a lock to be able to provide this. This team could easily turn it's fortunes around with some good coaching, intelligent drafting and aquiring key FAs. Me, I want success NOW, not 2 or 3 years from now.

593809[/snapback]

I think JP is going to make it and would hate to see him go...but, i'd make that trade in a second. Of course ther's not a snowball's chance in hell SD will, IMO.

HEY...maybe we could swap JP for Peyton and the #1s with the Colts?

593809[/snapback]

Brees is coming off shoulder surgery, are you ready to pull the trigger on someone coming off rehab, and miss addressing the Oline with a decent pick at #8 or a trade down for more picks addressing the front lines on both sides of the ball.?

If I am SD, I am keeping put until I see the progress that Brees is making with his rehab before I let him go.

Brees is coming off shoulder surgery, are you ready to pull the trigger on someone coming off rehab, and miss addressing the Oline with a decent pick at #8 or a trade down for more picks addressing the front lines on both sides of the ball.?

If I am SD, I am keeping put until I see the progress that Brees is making with his rehab before I let him go.

593816[/snapback]

Oopps i forgot about that...cancel the first part of my response and just leave the snotty last sentence.

The QB situation in SD will be coming to a head. Here's a way out for them. JP also is a California boy, that sure wouldn't hurt the ticket sales.

You know with just a couple solid key moves and Buffalo could very well be highly competitive. I just don't think that a "rebuilding" mentality should be surrendered to. People clamor for drafting O-Linemen, which is a great idea, but you know what, that's not going to make that big of a difference this year. Free agency and trades, that's what is going to get us back into the game. Drafts are for the future and that's if the picks are the right picks AND they don't get injured. I'm sick of waiting for tomorrow. If you pile up enough tomorrows, you'll have nothing but empty yesterdays. Let's get back to winning NOW!

593809[/snapback]

Yeah right. Isn't Brees a free agent with a bum shoulder? Do you really think San Diego is going to trade for JP Losman when they already have Philip Rivers waiting in the wings.

The QB situation in SD will be coming to a head. Here's a way out for them. JP also is a California boy, that sure wouldn't hurt the ticket sales.

You know with just a couple solid key moves and Buffalo could very well be highly competitive. I just don't think that a "rebuilding" mentality should be surrendered to. People clamor for drafting O-Linemen, which is a great idea, but you know what, that's not going to make that big of a difference this year. Free agency and trades, that's what is going to get us back into the game. Drafts are for the future and that's if the picks are the right picks AND they don't get injured. I'm sick of waiting for tomorrow. If you pile up enough tomorrows, you'll have nothing but empty yesterdays. Let's get back to winning NOW!

593831[/snapback]

OH! This aboout winning tomorrow (sorry, no games scheduled)? Well, I got news for ya, Tippy...this doesn nothing for that. QB is not the big issue with this team. You're wasting your time...start thinking about the important things for this team.

Ah, excuse me. How about that they move up for a bluechipper AND have good a back-up? They are not going to be able to keep two potential starting QBs satisfied much longer.

593847[/snapback]

So JP is no longer a potential starting QB?

No, but he was a last minute fill in. I guess that you can call him a poor man's Rothelisberger. Donahoe wasn't and/or able to trade ahead of Pittsburgh and then did the next best thing, trade up and paid the premium. Between Donahoe's will and the fans' hope JP became a starter. Looks like Holcomb isn't what he's cracked up to be and Matthews is retiring. That leaves us with putting this team's hopes and aspirations on the arm of Losman. I for one would rather have a more solidified alternative.

The concept and the principal players of this trade can work, even if we had to tweak it with a swapping or giving of a later rd pick.

Ah, excuse me. How about that they move up for a bluechipper AND have good a back-up?

Uh, if that were true, how come the trade isn't for Holcomb?

You did say a *good* back-up, right?

JDG

I don't understand this deal from SD's perspective. Why would you want JP? Even though JP is a "California guy" as one of you put it, he was a poor QB last year and this town would much rather see Rivers get his shot than see JP try THAT again.

Now, Moulds for Brees and a swap of 1's would make more sense to SD, but why would the Bills do that?

Uh, if that were true, how come the trade isn't for Holcomb? 

You did say a *good* back-up, right?

JDG

593885[/snapback]

Is he thinking JP is the back up? to whom? all they'd have left is Rivers. Certainly he doesn't think he's qualified to be considered a team's #1 QB. Here are his career stats:

STATS EDITED (Charger's website has a glitch)

30 total career passes

3 sacks

1 INT

1 TD

JP's a seasoned pro compared to him.

Edited by The Dean

From SD's perspective is I'm sure that they didn't draft Rivers just to have him ride the bench. In addition they'll be moving up to a bluechip player in the draft. From Buffalo's perspective would be that they solidified the QB position with a seasoned veteran and still maintained a 1st rd pick. When Donahoe traded up for JP that doesn't mean that he got fair market value. I felt then as I do now is that we overpaid for Losman. IMHO, I don't think that we solved our QB situation. Has there been any proof that we have?

From SD's perspective is I'm sure that they didn't draft Rivers just to have him ride the bench. In addition they'll be moving up to a bluechip player in the draft. From Buffalo's perspective would be that they solidified the QB position with a seasoned veteran and still maintained a 1st rd pick. When Donahoe traded up for JP that doesn't mean that he got fair market value. I felt then as I do now is that we overpaid for Losman. IMHO, I don't think that we solved our QB situation. Has there been any proof that we have?

593891[/snapback]

Sure, they didn't draft Rivers to ride the bench - but he made his own bed by holding out. And if keeping Rivers on the bench means playing Drew Brees instead of a JP Losman-caiber player, then keeping Rivers on the bench is exactly what they will do.... and it will be exactly the right decision.

Drew Brees at this point is a proven playoff-caliber QB. From San Diego's perspective, the conversation starts at Buffalo giving the #8 pick straight up, and the Chargers might insist upon sweeteners.

JDG

You know what JDG? You might just have a better idea. Because Losman was taken with a 1st rd pick doesn't necessarily mean he's worth a 1st rd pick. When that draft was unfolding, he was being projected as POSSIBLY a mid 2nd rder. Keeping Losman as a back-up wouldn't be hateful. I don't think that we would have to worry about the QB position anymore. Your idea could be food for thought.