Steve Smith comments on Nate

Hirly5

Steve Smith just threw Nate under the bus. He said that Nate isnt as good as Nate thinks he is. His basis was that alot of corners think they are good but they always have safety help. He implied that Nate was one of those guys.

Smith also listed some of the top corners. He had Champ, Dre Bly, Delta O'Neil. Smith also called Fred Smoot overrated.

Sounds like players in the league think "The Playmaker" is overrated.

Hmmm. That is an interesting observation coming from Smith. And I bet it stems from that game we hosted against Carolina, when Smith was held pretty much in check. Recall that Nate entered that game being heavily criticized after a subpar perfromance against the Chargers. The Carolina game did witness the defense's conversion more to a zone coverage, which worked well for them defensively in that game, since the Panthers weren't prepared for it. However, the scheme proved less successful in subsequent weeks, most notably the very next week against Chris Chambers and the Dolphins.

While I tend to agree that Nate is a bit overrated, he is still an above average player at a position, where good players are hard to come by. Thus, I hope that we can re-sign him. Also, with the DL's inability to put pressure on opposing QBs without blitzing, there's no CB alive who wouldn't have had some pretty bad games this year in Nate's shoes.

That game that we hosted Nate had safety help on every play. The rest of the year I could not understand why the rest of the league was not double teaming Steve Smith every play as he was the entire passing offense.

I think Nate is entirely overrated. With that said I franchise him and see if anyone bites. If not pay him the tag and draft a young corner while developing what we have. Signing McGee long term was an excellent move and gives us some lattitude.

What I'd like is for somebody who REALLY knows what they're talking about to break down Nate's play last year and tell me what you saw. Seriously. I don't claim to hold myself out as an expert, and I certainly don't have the time to watch film.

It's actually nice to hear a objective point of view from a player with no particular interest either way. If Smith says that I tend to believe his opinion more than fans on this board or anywhere else.

That game that we hosted Nate had safety help on every play.  The rest of the year I could not understand why the rest of the league was not double teaming Steve Smith every play as he was the entire passing offense. 

As I recall, Smith made a point of mentioning that after the game. "Troy Vincent's out there breast-feeding him," etc., etc.

I think Nate is entirely overrated.  With that said I franchise him and see if anyone bites.  If not pay him the tag and draft a young corner while developing what we have.  Signing McGee long term was an excellent move and gives us some latitude.

591231[/snapback]

I'll give Nate more credit than you did, even considering the subpar season he had. But I'm with you on the franchise tag (and trade, if necessary).

Above average corner, perhaps even good. Shut-down Nate is not. Johnson, who apparently gave him kudos had what? 9 grabs for 126 and a TD off Clements this year? Chris Chambers had almost DOUBLE that in Miami #2

He's better than what we'd replace him with but I don't know if that makes him worth 8 mil per. Especially since, to me, he really seemed to mail in the 2nd half of the season. He was absoultely invisible.

Above average corner, perhaps even good.  Shut-down Nate is not.  Johnson, who apparently gave him kudos had what? 9 grabs for 126 and a TD off Clements this year?  Chris Chambers had almost DOUBLE that in Miami #2

He's better than what we'd replace him with but I don't know if that makes him worth 8 mil per.  Especially since, to me, he really seemed to mail in the 2nd half of the season.  He was absoultely invisible.

591441[/snapback]

Compare that to Chad's 2004 performance against the Bills when Nate held him to 2 catches and 10 yards receiving. To me Nate is definately among the top 10 CBs in the leage and deserves franchise money.

Steve Smith just threw Nate under the bus.  He said that Nate isnt as good as Nate thinks he is.  His basis was that alot of corners think they are good but they always have safety help.  He implied that Nate was one of those guys.

Smith also listed some of the top corners.  He had Champ, Dre Bly, Delta O'Neil.  Smith also called Fred Smoot overrated.

Sounds like players in the league think "The Playmaker" is overrated.

591139[/snapback]

Nate deserves one more chance as far as I'm concerned. I thought his play this year wasn't as good as last year, but everyone deserves a second chance.

As I recall, Smith made a point of mentioning that after the game. "Troy Vincent's out there breast-feeding him," etc., etc.

591392[/snapback]

Thank God for good ol' Troy back there.

:doh:

That comment pretty much removed any credibility from Smith's opinion. Nate is an ideal young player to invest in. He had a down year last year, but he'll bounce back. He has had a great start to his career, his game is well rounded and he makes plays. Imagine what he could do with a pass rush from the front 4 for one time in his career.

Thank God for good ol' Troy back there.

:doh:

That comment pretty much removed any credibility from Smith's opinion.  Nate is an ideal young player to invest in.  He had a down year last year, but he'll bounce back.  He has had a great start to his career, his game is well rounded and he makes plays.  Imagine what he could do with a pass rush from the front 4 for one time in his career.

591597[/snapback]

I fully agree, but what do you think went wrong last year?