Steve Smith comments on Nate

Hirly5

I fully agree, but what do you think went wrong last year?

591599[/snapback]

I think the pressure of the contract year got to him. He didn't appear as aggressive, explosive or animated on the field. The same thing happened to Cornelius Bennett in his first walk year in Buffalo. The Bills tagged him, he came back and had maybe his best year the following season.

I think the pressure of the contract year got to him.  He didn't appear as aggressive, explosive or animated on the field.  The same thing happened to Cornelius Bennett in his first walk year in Buffalo.  The Bills tagged him, he came back and had maybe his best year the following season.

591607[/snapback]

Good point. Do you think that the defensive formations mattered as well?

There was little rush from the inside, and Gray had the DEs lined up at least 10 yards off the ball on some plays. Mark pointed this out, and he was right. Last season we were horrid on 3rd and long plays, but in my admittedly foggy memory, this is nothing new.

I am so glad that Gray is gone! Nice guy, but WAY over his head imo.

Smith also listed some of the top corners.  He had Champ, Dre Bly, Delta O'Neil.  Smith also called Fred Smoot overrated.

Sounds like players in the league think "The Playmaker" is overrated.

591139[/snapback]

Yet he lists Dre Bly and Deltha O'Neil rofl. Cmon. I know a lot of you want to throw nate under the bus but Dre F'n Blyand Deltha O'Neal get real. I realize a lot of people bit on the Champ Bailey hype years ago, but if that guy was on this team I gurantee we would've ridden him out of town and even packed his luggage for him. Other then this year he was never one to get a lot of picks, and consistnly gets burned on post routes. Baileys career has consisted of getting burned by the likes of Antonio Bryant, Amani Toomer, Todd Pinkston, and now Eddie Kennison. He's a good intermediate range corner, horrible when he has to cover 20 or more yards downfield. Huge tendancy to try to jump routes more often then not guessing wrong.

Deltha O'Neal? :doh: The guy was thought of so highly by the broncos that shannahan wanted to make him a wr. Top Corner? Hardly. Solid hands bad in coverage. When I look at cincys defense their corners are hardly scary, we pretty much had our way with their secondary.

I also like how people bring up chris chambers game as "proof" of nate not being a good corner, Thats nice you can take one instance against the dolphins and spin it, especially after all the times since we drafted nate that he's pretty much had some of his best performances against the dolphins. Nate Clements is a great cornerback, who will undoubtly bounce back as long as we drop this soft zone garbage defense