Offensive Line equals winner

-SEatlle Seahawks have best two linemen in football, Steve Hutchinson and Walter Jones. Is it any wonder that Shaun Alexander had 28 t.d.s.

- Pittsburgh has Pro Bowlers in A.Faneca and Jeff HArtings.

-The Kansas City Chiefs have one of the best offensive line's and is it any wonder that Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson run forever behind that line.

- Didn't the Ravens win Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at QB, behind a great offensive line and a great defense.

- I cannot believe that Bills fans are not talking about drafting an offensive lineman or defensive lineman. I hear all this talk about a QB. I thought that Losman was the second coming. He may be, but unless there is someone to block for him and give hime time, we will never know.

- And draft Vince Young. could be another Michael Vick.

- Everyone knows that great teams have great lines. Until the Bills address that need, they will continue to go nowhere.

- Super Bowl Bills had #1 picks Jim Ritcher and Will Wohlford. We also had Kent Hull, who was a Pro Bowler.

I'm with ya !

588672[/snapback]

Thanks!

...but it ends up being pissin' in the wind. It's specialization, niche and so forth these days. Boggles my mind, that qb's adapt to defensive sets. Since I the QB owns the snap count, as soon as I see them dancing around, it's my FB up the middle for 4 yards. They dance again, 3 yards. OK - 3rd and 3. Now I am the dealer... :D

Smart playcalling can do a decent job in overcoming a crappy OL

588663[/snapback]

I have to disagree. You could have the greatest plays ever devised, and they won't work if you are on your a$$ within 2 seconds of the snap. Your entire football team...offense, defense, and special teams...all comes down to the O-line!

PTR

Aside from the random crazy person, I'd say most of us know that our QBs next season will be Losman and Holcomb, and the #1 priority this offseason is improving the O-Line. As it stands, I'd rather see the Bills spend 2 out of the their top 3 picks on O-Lineman and pick up two new starters in free agenct (One at Tackle and one at Guard).

As it stands right now, I'd love to see the Bills get Jeff Backus and Stephen Neal in FA. Plug in Backus at LT, put Neal in at LG. Preston gets promoted to Center after Teague leaves, and using the draft below, have O'Callaghan and Peters fight it out in camp for the RT spot and have Lutui as good depth and Villarial's future replacement at RG. I'd be a damn happy camper to see that O-Line.

You got that right. We are not only looking at getting some FA starters in here, but also drafting some 2nd team players. I doubt that some draftee comes in and starts for us unless it's a future ProBowler (DaBrick) or possibly a guard like Jean-Gilles. Is that what you guys think?

I have to disagree.  You could have the greatest plays ever devised, and they won't work if you are on your a$$ within 2 seconds of the snap.  Your entire football team...offense, defense, and special teams...all comes down to the O-line! 

PTR

588867[/snapback]

Not really. It is amazing how some OL's can be bad one year and good the next, or bad one game and bad the next.

Having good playcalling and a good system can do wonders for a struggling OL.

Miami had a very bad OL last year, but this year they were very much improved.

Aside from the random crazy person, I'd say most of us know that our QBs next season will be Losman and Holcomb, and the #1 priority this offseason is improving the O-Line.  As it stands, I'd rather see the Bills spend 2 out of the their top 3 picks on O-Lineman and pick up two new starters in free agenct (One at Tackle and one at Guard).

As it stands right now, I'd love to see the Bills get Jeff Backus and Stephen Neal in FA.  Plug in Backus at LT, put Neal in at LG.  Preston gets promoted to Center after Teague leaves, and using the draft below, have O'Callaghan and Peters fight it out in camp for the RT spot and have Lutui as good depth and Villarial's future replacement at RG.  I'd be a damn happy camper to see that O-Line.

588875[/snapback]

I don't mind the idea of signing Neal, although he does play RG for the Patriots and we need more help at LG. In terms of Backus, I'm iffy because of cap concerns. One guy who might be available and cheaper is Mike Pearson.

I know hisinjuries the last two years make him a question mark and as a result, I'd look to draft someone like Darren Colledge and/or Jonathan Scott in the 2nd Round of the draft as a security blanket (moreso Colledge as he might be able to play G and could eventually replace Chris V if Pearson turns into the long term answer at LT as Gandy's an UFA after next year). As a combination of Pearson + a 2nd Round pick could be cheaper than Backus and allow us to use cap space to try and retain Nate at CB or look for a back up DT (to replace Bannan or eventually replace Adams) if we infact draft Ngata in the 1st.

Yo, Backus sucks. The interior is the problem. We already have someone on the roster who can play LT better than Backus, Jason Peters. As long as MW takes the maximum paycut(30%) we are fine at the tackles. Of course I have my own sick dream offseason, but the best we can probably hope for is a Bentley at center and a Neal or Terrence Metcalf at guard free agency on the Oline. The Duke makes me puke, sorry. I'd like the Oline fixed in free agency and use the draft (except for at least one Olineman) used to get younger on D. If MW is gone, add in one of those picks on a RT. We need to take advantage of the production vs. $$$$$at LT Peters can provide for a season or two.

Re: Jeff Backus,

PFW's Super Bowl issue (print-no link) says in it's Lions report that Backus is a high priority for Millen to re-sign...believe that he will flourish under Marinelli. Also said that Backus was critical of former Detroit coaches for running soft & swift practice sessions, and should appreciate Marinelli's committment to a more physical & disciplined offense.

If true, I'm sure Backus was mostly critical of Mooch... also if true though, I doubt DJ has much pull as far as getting him to come here.

-SEatlle Seahawks have best two linemen in football, Steve Hutchinson and Walter Jones. Is it any wonder that Shaun Alexander had 28 t.d.s.

-The Kansas City Chiefs have one of the best offensive line's and is it any wonder that Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson run forever behind that line.

- Didn't the Ravens win Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at QB, behind a great offensive line and a great defense.

- I cannot believe that Bills fans are not talking about drafting an offensive lineman or defensive lineman. I hear all this talk about a QB. I thought that Losman was the second coming. He may be, but unless there is someone to block for him and give hime time, we will never know.

- Everyone knows that great teams have great lines. Until the Bills address that need, they will continue to go nowhere.

- Super Bowl Bills had #1 picks Jim Ritcher and Will Wohlford. We also had Kent Hull, who was a Pro Bowler.

588555[/snapback]

I agree that a good OL is needed to win, but I disagree with what you need to build a good OL. Notice you don't mention NE, winner of 3/4 Superbowls, or DEN, widely regarded as the best OL in the game. That's because they don't spend high draft picks on OL. What builds a good OL is good schemes and continuity.

588555[/snapback]

Hey man, I am with you. We need an upgraded OL if we're going to get better.

It's true an OL upgrade is absolutely essential. I feel we should use three of our four first day picks doing it. But the first round pick should be used on Cutler if he's available, and if he's the real deal. I doubt Da Brick will fall to us, and no other OL is worthy of going 8th overall.

I agree that a good OL is needed to win, but I disagree with what you need to build a good OL.  Notice you don't mention NE, winner of 3/4 Superbowls, or DEN, widely regarded as the best OL in the game.  That's because they don't spend high draft picks on OL.  What builds a good OL is good schemes and continuity.

589043[/snapback]

In Denver and New England they don't go around with a scale and a measuring tape and draft guys because the guy is "freaking ginormous!" like they have in Buffalo for too many years now. These teams know what they are about and go and study lineman for months on film and the guy's study habits and work ethic and find ones with the natural talent and instincts that mesh in with their systems and schemes -- even if the guy is deficient in some ways, if he has the right attributes for their scheme, they can plug him in. In other words, it isn't quite so simple as just grabbing a couple of fat slobs in the 7th round and as UDFAs and "Poof!" whip together a great OL -- and, yes, I know you weren't saying that it was that simple.