pro football weekly- MARV LOVES CUTLER

bird

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he'll be the best QB out of this draft.  That being said if we use another 1st round pick on a QB I'm going f'in scream.

586757[/snapback]

I agree...the more I see of Cutler, the more I like...BUT Marv of all people knows the importance of building along the lines.

I just thought of something though...check out the next few picks after us...

9. Detroit

10. Arizona

11. St. Louis

12. Cleveland

13. Baltimore

Say Cutler makes it to us and guys like Ferguson, Ngata and M.Williams are off the board...well the odds increase dramatically that the Lions would jump on Cutler then to solve their QB issues...or the Cards...or the Browns...or the Ravens. I say why not trade down a few picks, with Arizona, Cleveland or Baltimore so they can leapfrog Detroit...stockpile some more picks in the process and take the best available OT like Winston Justice when we use their first rounder?

Just saying, we've got oodles of more options as long as guys like Cutler, LenDale White and DeAngelo Williams soar up the draft boards.

Well, suppose that we address the glaring OL and DL needs in free agency, which I expect Marv and the gang to do. Remember also that we have 4 day-one draft picks, all in the early part of each round. From that perspective I would not be nearly as upset about drafting a QB in the first round.

Let's face it. With TD, MM, and now apparantly Sam Wyche all gone, there is no one left willing to go down with the ship over JP. I am personally not ready to give up on the kid just yet, but if the new administration isn't sold on him...

Still, I think some of this could be gamesmanship from Marv, trying to see if some team that is interested in selecting Cutler may trade with the Bills -- or even trade up ahead of them so that another top 7 player falls to us.

And it could just be that he likes the kid -- even though he may not want to draft him. After all, there are a lot of players to like in this draft -- but only a small number will be drafted by the Buffalo Bills.

Cutler is probably better than Losman.

Having said that, I would not be surprised if Marv is saying that to get another team to trade with us or to take Cutler ahead of us so that one of the stud linemen (D or O) falls to us.

I would not be surprised if Marv is saying that to get another team to trade with us or to take Cutler ahead of us so that one of the stud linemen (D or O) falls to us.

586790[/snapback]

Thats how I would read this too. It makes no sense to anounce your likes, unless you have the first overall pick. Marv's probably just trying to put some fear in teams behind us that they might want to trade up with him if they want the QB. Good tactics, if thats his plan.

Cutler is probably better than Losman.

Having said that, I would not be surprised if Marv is saying that to get another team to trade with us or to take Cutler ahead of us so that one of the stud linemen (D or O) falls to us.

586790[/snapback]

That's the first thing that crsossed my mind.

"Gee, Mangini, that Cutler looks pretty impressive, huh?"

It's a smart thing on Marv's part. We have JP & KH on the roster. Due to the salary cap you can't cut or trade JP, it'll cost more to do so than keep him on the roster. The Jets are very high on this kid but they don't want to draft him with #4, we might be able to force them to draft him with #4 if they want him by saying we like him so we may take him at #8. The Bills did this in the past when Marv was the head coach and it worked then and hopefully it'll work again.

It's a smart thing on Marv's part.  We have JP & KH on the roster.  Due to the salary cap you can't cut or trade JP, it'll cost more to do so than keep him on the roster.

586810[/snapback]

Incorrect. You need to pay Amortized Bonuses ($1,042,500) regardless but what are you are meaning to say is that it will be a larger cap HIT if Bills cut or trade JP. This is a common mistake when talking about cap - it does not cost more to cut/trade a player but cutting him accelerations year bonus is paid. There is a difference but fortunately NFL cap people understand this. Besides a million dollar hit to revamp a team's direction is peanuts to a cap going up to (rumored) $95 million.

if we use another 1st round pick on a QB I'm going f'in scream.

586757[/snapback]

on first glance, i tend to agree, but i do think that it may be the case that marv et al. actually think that losman truly sucks. if they do think that -- and they'd know better than us -- than it would behoove the bills to get a qb. a second, 2 thirds, and a good FA OL and DL signing (bentley? ted washington if he's let go?) could take care of the rest of the line issues. qb is the most important position on the team.

on first glance, i tend to agree, but i do think that it may be the case that marv et al. actually think that losman truly sucks. if they do think that -- and they'd know better than us -- than it would behoove the bills to get a qb. a second, 2 thirds, and a good FA OL and DL signing (bentley? ted washington if he's let go?) could take care of the rest of the line issues. qb is the most important position on the team.

586851[/snapback]

Frankly, I am not sure that Marv has even watched all the games closely yet to know either way whether he thinks JP sucks or not. And it would be highly unlikely IMO after he watches for him to come to that conclusion. He very likely has only had a cursory look at the game film with all the new things he has had to deal with since he was hired.

Frankly, I am not sure that Marv has even watched all the games closely yet to know either way whether he thinks JP sucks or not. And it would be highly unlikely IMO after he watches for him to come to that conclusion. He very likely has only had a cursory look at the game film with all the new things he has had to deal with since he was hired.

586852[/snapback]

we really don't know, but i bet he's talked with people who were here last year who will share their opinions about him.