Jauron radio interview Tues. evening

stevewin

On the way home tonight I just happened to catch DJ being interviewed on 'Sporting News Radio' (Chris Russel(?) filling in on for Tim Brando). This is what I can put together from the notes I scribbled while working the stick (my car's) and driving with my knees :unsure:

- Do you feel more pressure to win quickly given the age of Ralph and Marv :ph34r:

Appreciate the opportunity and really respect both of them. In this league you always want to win as quickly as you can. Everyone's in the same boat

- Host took a shot at MM - he said (his voice dripping w/ sarcasm) MM left because he "wasn't comfortable" with the situation

Ralph and Marv were a great part of the deal. Has a great deal of respect for Marv. Wanted to clear up the fact that him and Marv were not good friends and did not know each other well - had only met each other casually during their time in Chicago. The interview was the first time spent in-depth time times with him. Ralph and Marv "very impressive". Looking forward to hopefully winning soon.

- Villarial's positive comments

Appreciate players making positive remarks. With players it's all about getting on the same page - and mostly about hard work. And need a little luck, and stay healthy. Get everyone working together then have a chance.

- "recycle/retread" label

I bring experience which is a good thing. Circumstances and timing have a lot to do w/ having success or not in a particular situation.

People can have their opinions. It is what makes this game great - the passion.

- Bears teams were criticized for not aggressive offense - what is your philosophy

Most important thing is to first put staff together first. Then evaluate personnel and start looking at strengths. Build on what we think they do best.

- What about this Bills team

Almost any NFL team has a core of good players - the key is to have enough of them and to have them on both sides of the ball. To win in the NFL you need to be strong everywhere - both sides of the ball and the kicking game.

What you want to do is have opponent "be threatened" by running game. Need to establish run to open pass - but need to be able to run and pass. <repeated injury/luck comment>

- Then the host wrapped up w/ some lame riff on snow/chicken wings blah blah (said he used to cover Buffalo in the the Flutie/Johnson era?) then more lame stuff asking best place to eat in Detroit blah blah.

There's a couple things I find interesting. Comments have been made before about a potential lack of confidence showing in comments like "hopefully win" and "have a chance". Also - this is not the first time I've heard him be explicit about how important lack of injuries and luck and ball bounces and circumstances are in having success. I'm sure he feels he's being candid and realistic - in some ways I think he feels he needs to defend his past record as "circumstances beyond anyone's control".

Another thing that for some reason strikes me is how instead of specifically talking about Bills fans (and even the Bills team) a lot of his comments now are more broad - the league has a lot of great franchises, all teams have good players, what makes the league great is the passion of all the fans. I'm sure that is because he doesn't feel like he really knows anything about the team/fans yet and doesn't want to say something he doesn't really know or believe first hand yet - and I actually find that refreshing (instead of coming in pandering and sucking up with some "Rah Rah the Bills fans are the greatest in the world!!!!!" jive). Even though it's a small thing I think it shows his BS meter is turned very low (if on at all) - and is consistent with player's comments about what you see is what you get and what he says is what he means.

I kind of find it refreshing that he uses words like "hope to win" etc. He's realistic. Just as they say QB's get too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose, that holds true for the coach too.

Most of these guys all ride into town telling the owner he better start building a case for the Lombardi trophy, only to be ridden out of town on a rail. And not just referring to MM, GW, and TD, but other teams as well.

Another thing that for some reason strikes me is how instead of specifically talking about Bills fans (and even the Bills team) a lot of his comments now are more broad - the league has a lot of great franchises, all teams have good players, what makes the league great is the passion of all the fans.  I'm sure that is because he doesn't feel like he really knows anything about the team/fans yet and doesn't want to say something he doesn't really know or believe first hand yet - and I actually find that refreshing (instead of coming in pandering and sucking up with some "Rah Rah the Bills fans are the greatest in the world!!!!!" jive).  Even though it's a small thing I think it shows his BS meter is turned very low (if on at all) - and is consistent with player's comments about what you see is what you get and what he says is what he means.

582777[/snapback]

As shocked as I was when he was hired, I thought the same thing while watching his press conference. I relayed the info from the presser to a buddy who thought he was being too wishy-washy. I responded that it wasn't wishy-washy, but that he wasn't trying to blow smoke up our collective arses.

I may live to regret this, but I'm really starting to like this guy's style, his mindset: No BS, what you see is what you get, and don't expect him to go out of his way to tell you what you want to hear.

I'm more than a little cool with that.

And I do think he's defending his past record.  Also maybe he realizes that his offense sucked because of the coordinators?

582809[/snapback]

I really hope that is the case. I do not like the fact that ESPN mentioned his OC in Chicago, John Schoop, might be at the top of his list here. If that happens, that shows me he has not learned from past mistakes and gives me no confidence he will be any better his second time around.

Although I wasn't thrilled about the hire, if he stays away from his buddy Schoop and builds a strong staff, I'm more than willing to give this guy a shot. Of course, the fact Soprano is predicting Caldwell really has me nervous :ph34r:

As shocked as I was when he was hired, I thought the same thing while watching his press conference.  I relayed the info from the presser to a buddy who thought he was being too wishy-washy.  I responded that it wasn't wishy-washy, but that he wasn't trying to blow smoke up our collective arses.

I may live to regret this, but I'm really starting to like this guy's style, his mindset:  No BS, what you see is what you get, and don't expect him to go out of his way to tell you what you want to hear. 

582880[/snapback]

That may not be more than wishful thinking. From what I read - the guy is an emotionless statue and his PCs are utterly useless. He is known for saying nothing...

What may seem refreshing now will grow very, very old if this team hits a losing streak.

That may not be more than wishful thinking.  From what I read - the guy is an emotionless statue and his PCs are utterly useless.  He is known for saying nothing...

What may seem refreshing now will grow very, very old if this team hits a losing streak.

583102[/snapback]

And yet, it may very well seem refreshing after hearing "We just have to execute better" every single week... :)

That may not be more than wishful thinking.  From what I read - the guy is an emotionless statue and his PCs are utterly useless.  He is known for saying nothing...

583102[/snapback]

But of course the last time it mattered what a coach's tone was like in a press conference was never. :)

If I'm not mistaken, the interviewer, Chris Russell, is Tim Russells (Meet The Press) son. The Russell's being from Buffalo makes for a lttle bit of a homer interview. And with some of the national media beating the crap out of the Bills, it is somewhat a breath of fresh air to have a little pro-Buffalo out there.

And yet, it may very well seem refreshing after hearing "We just have to execute better" every single week...  :)

583104[/snapback]

I guess a kick in the head is different than a kick in the balls, but in the end I think it really will be a wash.

I'm just pointing out one of the aspects of his (lack of) personality that Bears fans grew to detest over their losing seasons. Considering he is coming in with less than little fanfare, look for the complaints about the lack of emotion, the lack of information, etc... to come sooner rather than later.

I'm just pointing out one of the aspects of his (lack of) personality that Bears fans grew to detest over their losing seasons. Considering he is coming in with less than little fanfare, look for the complaints about the lack of emotion, the lack of information, etc... to come sooner rather than later.

583116[/snapback]

Winning solves everything! The one positive that has come out over these past couple days is that this Dick seems to understand that!

But of course the last time it mattered what a coach's tone was like in a press conference was never.  :)

583106[/snapback]

if they didn't matter then why do they have them?

They are sources of information and all the beat writers use them in their stories. Media coverage IS pretty important because they can influence the perception of the team by the fanbase.

Winning solves everything!  The one positive that has come out over these past couple days is that this Dick seems to understand that!

583119[/snapback]

that's true. I am only suggesting that the losses will be more acrimonious if his PCs are conducted like they were in Chicago. Remember, football isn't real life - it is just entertainment. Having a coach with likable personality would help get fans over the rough spots.

If I'm not mistaken, the interviewer, Chris Russell, is Tim Russells (Meet The Press) son.  The Russell's being from Buffalo makes for a lttle bit of a homer interview.  And with some of the national media beating the crap out of the Bills, it is somewhat a breath of fresh air to have a little pro-Buffalo out there.

583115[/snapback]

Russells? Russell? I think you mean Russert.

If I'm not mistaken, the interviewer, Chris Russell, is Tim Russells (Meet The Press) son.  The Russell's being from Buffalo makes for a lttle bit of a homer interview.  And with some of the national media beating the crap out of the Bills, it is somewhat a breath of fresh air to have a little pro-Buffalo out there.

583115[/snapback]

I do not know who Chris Russell is, but assuming that name is right he is not th son of Tim RUSSERT from Meet the Press and Buffalo fame.

I guess a kick in the head is different than a kick in the balls, but in the end I think it really will be a wash.

583116[/snapback]

I can see that happening. Recall how MM was praised when he first got here for being a no-nonsense guy - things can very quickly go from "man of few words" to "meathead" when the losses mount.

It still boils down to W-L. If the team is winning and DJ acted like Forrest Gump at the podium, people would praise his "modest reticence"...

Winning solves everything!  The one positive that has come out over these past couple days is that this Dick seems to understand that!

583119[/snapback]

Agreed, the question is not whether his attitude will get old if we lose (it will) th question is whether his attitude and approach wil help us win.

Since productive players seem to be reacting positively to playing for him (like Urlacher or Villarial playing for him back when CV was good (he is on the backside of his career and not as good anymore) I am pleased about what he has to say.

Good attitude does not gurantee good play at all and it is overarching team feel that will make the marginal difference in helping/puishing players to do all they can and added into that is the good/bad breaks and how a team responds to them.

I defintiely like the understated straight shooter approach Jauron has a rep for rather than the tough guy act and mercurial random performance of a guy like a Tom Coughlin.

The irony is that though there may be a greater chance of immediate success with a Coughlin type, even winning gets old with a fellow like him in charge.

if they didn't matter then why do they have them?

They are sources of information and all the beat writers use them in their stories.  Media coverage IS pretty important because they can influence the perception of the team by the fanbase.

583120[/snapback]

They are purely informational to me. I don't try to gain anything in the theatrics or opinions from the media as they fail us more often than not with their interpretations. In fact I believe they are currently weilding too much influence over the fanbase, whether that is the fault of fans themselves or the media I am not sure.

Russells? Russell? I think you mean Russert.

583126[/snapback]

Oh Crap.....That's one too few coffee's this morning.....I guess I was just conecting the dots, this Russert kid is going to have a sports radio show on XM. I guess my dots got all funcked up.

that's true. I am only suggesting that the losses will be more acrimonious if his PCs are conducted like they were in Chicago. Remember, football isn't real life - it is just entertainment. Having a coach with likable personality would help get fans over the rough spots.

583124[/snapback]

Bull. Mularkey had a likeable personality when he came here. The press will spin things any way they want. If the coach uses "personality" and the press decides they don't like him, he's "being flippant about losses, like he doesn't care." If he's all ticked off and pounding on the podium he's "out of control, a madman who has lost his grip." If you're calm, deliberate, you're an "emotionless statue with no passion." There is no winning in the press conferences when you are losing, especially if the press decides up front that they don't like you (which most of the press in Buffalo is going to decide on any one stupid enough to come to our town and coach our loser Bills...[their attitude, not mine]). Just like here it's so much easier to push doom and gloom when the coach gets here, as it stands as a cornerstone if the team fails, and easily swept under the rug if the team doesn't. Jauron is right, winning is the only cure for criticism....

that's right.  he gets around it by winning.  hopefully we will get so lucky.

583152[/snapback]

hopefully we will.

Just being an open minded bastard...that's all...kinda like point/counter point...perhaps I should preceed my counter points with "Scott you ignorant slut"... :)

that's right.  he gets around it by winning.  hopefully we will get so lucky.

583152[/snapback]

And hopefully he will stop winning :) God wouldn't it be great to see the genius start losing and be knocked off his pedestal and actually be derided for his dour, arrogant behavior...

Bull.  Mularkey had a likeable personality when he came here.  The press will spin things any way they want.  If the coach uses "personality" and the press decides they don't like him, he's "being flippant about losses, like he doesn't care."  If he's all ticked off and pounding on the podium he's "out of control, a madman who has lost his grip."  If you're calm, deliberate, you're an "emotionless statue with no passion."  There is no winning in the press conferences when you are losing, especially if the press decides up front that they don't like you (which most of the press in Buffalo is going to decide on any one stupid enough to come to our town and coach our loser Bills...[their attitude, not mine]).  Just like here it's so much easier to push doom and gloom when the coach gets here, as it stands as a cornerstone if the team fails, and easily swept under the rug if the team doesn't.  Jauron is right, winning is the only cure for criticism....

583166[/snapback]

there are many levels to "likeability". I don't believe MM really handled himself well, but admittedly I haven't seen as much of him as the locals.

IMHO, a guy who says nothing in his PCs will have a shorter leash than one who works with the press a little more. Maybe the difference isn't enough to argue about, but even if you put the press aside, I think DJ's demeanor will grow much more quickly with the fanbase. Especially given the circumstances of his hiring.

Heres the thing:

Winning with exciting PC = Great

Winning with boring PC = No problems

Losing with exciting PC = Tolerated

Losing with boring/defensive PC = Hell

583171[/snapback]

That is how I see it, others may disagree.

there are many levels to "likeability".  I don't believe MM really handled himself well, but admittedly I haven't seen as much of him as the locals.

IMHO, a guy who says nothing in his PCs will have a shorter leash than one who works with the press a little more.  Maybe the difference isn't enough to argue about, but even if you put the press aside, I think DJ's demeanor will grow much more quickly with the fanbase.  Especially given the circumstances of his hiring.

583187[/snapback]

True. Look at what Herm Edwards' media charm bought him.

583102[/snapback]

Sounds like Andy Reid.

Get Lucky and Not Have Injuries.  Great strategy.

583121[/snapback]

Ask Cincinatti if not getting injured is important. Just an unlucky event causes Carson Palmer to get injured and they lose the game.

So yes, what is Jauron is saying is 100% correct. There is a lot of luck involved with a winning season.

What you want to do is have opponent "be threatened" by running game.  Need to establish run to open pass - but need to be able to run and pass. <repeated injury/luck comment>

582777[/snapback]

Apparently he didn't notice Pittsburg's winning game plan at Indy.

Hey Dick, sometimes you need to attack when the defense is loading up the line.

Apparently he didn't notice Pittsburg's winning game plan at Indy.

Hey Dick, sometimes you need to attack when the defense is loading up the line.

583318[/snapback]

Actually - in his defense I think he mentioned something about how you can also obviously also attack and threaten w/ a passing game (Randy Moss). I don't think the statement should be construed to mean he thinks you need to keep running regardless of what the defense gives you - just that you need to have a running game which the defense needs to account for (because you threaten them with it) - which can in turn open up other options.

Actually - in his defense I think he mentioned something about how you can also obviously also attack and threaten w/ a passing game (Randy Moss).  I don't think the statement should be construed to mean he thinks you need to keep running regardless of what the defense gives you - just that you need to have a running game which the defense needs to account for (because you threaten them with it) - which can in turn open up other options.

583326[/snapback]

The whole situation pretty much underscores the underlying point though: people don't like the Jauron decision, so they will use every friggin' cliche he has said against him. His answers in pressers have been the "perfect," most milquetoast cliched answers to give, but every one of those answers is "wrong" because of the exception arguments against the cliches. The bottom line is that he was not saying that you run the ball every play into a stacked up box of 9 men, but that if you establish that you can run the ball, resulting in the opposing defenses putting 9 in the box, then it gives you room to throw. Teams will not stack up against the run if you have no established ground game, you need to make them respect your running capabilities. But no, the masses hear "run first" and figure he'll run the ball even if the defense puts all 11 guys "in the box" when you're lined up with 4 wide-outs...

Maybe I cut my "vacation" too short...

Let's not get carried away with this PC personality thing.

Brian Billick comes across great at PC's. Maybe that's why he still has a job. Bill Parcells bullies everybody at his PC's. He wins everywhere. Dennis Green is charming. He's still yesterday's so-so coach for Minnesota and today's loser in Arizona.

Mike Ditka gave great press conferences. Tom Landry didn't.

Lou Saban often talked too much. Chuck Knox never said anything but he said it with passion.

Bull.  Mularkey had a likeable personality when he came here.  The press will spin things any way they want.  If the coach uses "personality" and the press decides they don't like him, he's "being flippant about losses, like he doesn't care."  If he's all ticked off and pounding on the podium he's "out of control, a madman who has lost his grip."  If you're calm, deliberate, you're an "emotionless statue with no passion."  There is no winning in the press conferences when you are losing, especially if the press decides up front that they don't like you (which most of the press in Buffalo is going to decide on any one stupid enough to come to our town and coach our loser Bills...[their attitude, not mine]).  Just like here it's so much easier to push doom and gloom when the coach gets here, as it stands as a cornerstone if the team fails, and easily swept under the rug if the team doesn't.  Jauron is right, winning is the only cure for criticism....

583166[/snapback]

thank god he wears a head set.

583166[/snapback]

... which is exactly why "calling out the media" is such a stupid thing to do.

As shocked as I was when he was hired, I thought the same thing while watching his press conference.  I relayed the info from the presser to a buddy who thought he was being too wishy-washy.  I responded that it wasn't wishy-washy, but that he wasn't trying to blow smoke up our collective arses.

I may live to regret this, but I'm really starting to like this guy's style, his mindset:  No BS, what you see is what you get, and don't expect him to go out of his way to tell you what you want to hear. 

582880[/snapback]

You may like his style just fine. What matters is results. Some fans are guilty of the same things that Wilson and Marv, and Donahoe, are criticized for. Falling into a supportive role simply because someone's a good guy.

Everyone loved Mularkey from what I can remember, but look at his record.

So, Jauron and Levy are beautiful people. That still doesn't mean that either knows what they're doing.