ex- Jet DC Donnie Henderson- Possible Hire

Bills | Team could hire Henderson

Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:57:16 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports former New York Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson could be hired by the Buffalo Bills as their new defensive coordinator. However, if Henderson loses out on that job, he could become Herman Edwards' secondary coach with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Bills | Team could hire Henderson

Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:57:16 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports former New York Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson could be hired by the Buffalo Bills as their new defensive coordinator. However, if Henderson loses out on that job, he could become Herman Edwards' secondary coach with the Kansas City Chiefs.

581625[/snapback]

Wonder if Lange has any info to back that up, or is just perusing a list of the leftover job openings...

I'd prefer we stay with another old guy there and hire Cottrell. The OC is the position that will decide whether we succeed or fail.

581630[/snapback]

Cotrell has failed at both Minnesota and Jets....Why would we want him

back again....

Cotrell has failed at both Minnesota and Jets....Why would we want him

back again....

581633[/snapback]

I can't say I'm falling all over myself to have him come back, but in all fairness, he's done well with the players he's had. I don't care if you're Mouse McNally, Mike Mularkey, or Vince Lombardi -- you can't make chicken soup from... you know the rest.

He had Chaveous, Cowart, Winfield, and Sharper on defense. All good to very good, but that's only 4 guys. Compare that to the guys on Bflo's '05 D that are good to very good: Shobel, Adams, Fletch, Clements, McGee, Milloy, Vincent, there's 7 right there, and I could have added Crowell based on his play last year.

Cottrell's defense was middle of the road statistically in '05, ours was 29th.

Donnie Henderson?  Get 'er done TD!

581722[/snapback]

Holy time warp, Batman!

We need to change that catch phrase, pronto. From now on, anyone interviewed by the Bills for an open coaching position should be asked:

"C'mon, [insert coach name here], where else would you rather be than right here, right now?"

I

He had Chaveous, Cowart, Winfield, and Sharper on defense. All good to very good, but that's only 4 guys.  Compare that to the guys on Bflo's '05 D that are good to very good: Shobel, Adams, Fletch, Clements, McGee, Milloy, Vincent, there's 7 right there, and I could have added Crowell based on his play last year. 

581650[/snapback]

... the Vikes (at least on paper) should have had one of the best D's in the league. The LB corps is average, but the DL and secondary are stacked.

DT - Kevin Williams, Pat Williams

DE - Scott, James, Johnstone

LB - Cowart, EJ Henderson, Newman (avg)

DB's - Winfield, Smoot, Sharper, Chavous

Not assigning blame to Cotrell. The D did improve as the season went on and id spend a lot of time on the field because the O was in shambles. However, they should have been much better than the end result.

I read somewhere (i believe in the Roch. D&C) today that MM doubled his salary with the fish as OC. And, I read that Bates apparently wants much more that $1 million to be DC, and basically will go to the highest bidder.

In relation to the Bills, I just hope and pray the Ralph is standing by his word that "money is not a factor" for coaches. I hope some of the quality assistants don't get priced out of Buffalo just becasue we are being tight with the purse strings.

This team absolutely NEEDS top notch assistants right now. Not only for X's and O's, but also to restore some bit of confidence back into the community that this team is actually taking the staff seriously.

THe only problem i see though is with what he paid DJ. Say Ralph paid him less than $2 million or even $1.5 per year, then obviously it would be tough to justify paying an OC or DC as much as the HC.

I just hope they do the right thing this time with the assistants. It will at least make me feel a bit better about this whole debacle.

Bring us Donnie!  He can get it done!  Then he can leave us when his contract runs out to go to KC!

581952[/snapback]

I cannot imagine a trade here -- so if Henderson came to Buffalo, he'd be signing a new contract.