Why Dick Jauron

Casey D

Haslett, Capers, Sherman--all fired.  Were any of them coach of the year?

579341[/snapback]

Jim Haslett - 2000 NFL Coach of the Year

Dom Capers - 1996 NFL Coach of the Year

Hey! Wayne Fontes once won a Coach of the Year award, perhaps the Bills should have called him too!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you so bitter?  No one knows how a coach will turn out.  Levy has a business plan.  He wants an intelligent, high-character team.  To that end he wants a coach who is of high character, a team first guy, who can teach.  Levy thinks with these qualities he can build a successful team.

By all accounts, DJ has the qualities Levy wants.  I want to see how the plan works.  I am tired of the old approach, that most certainly did not work.

Moreover, any experienced coach will have failed somewhere--by definition.  Haslett, Capers, Sherman--all fired.  Were any of them coach of the year?  DJ may be a bust, but I'm willing to see what happens because I finally think we have a sound plan in place by a man who knows football and is in the Hall of Fame.

579341[/snapback]

Ditto :D

It's great to see that people can look at a pile of crap and see an image of the messiah in the twist and turns simply because that pile of crap has an ancient friend who wants to be comfortable and busy in his last years on earth.

579254[/snapback]

I think I saw that same pile of crap up for bid on eBay.

Jim Haslett - 2000 NFL Coach of the Year

Dom Capers - 1996 NFL Coach of the Year

Hey!  Wayne Fontes once won a Coach of the Year award, perhaps the Bills should have called him too!

579355[/snapback]

I am pretty sure that Wayne Fontes is dead. At the same time, I am not sure that having a pulse is part of the Bills search criteria.

to me it all comes down to his coordinators.

if he brings in some exciting smart guys to run his O and D then i won't really dislike him here.

i wanted haz because i thought he had some innovative teams and would bring a whole lot of fire and passion.

jauron is the opposite of that, so in my mind he really needs some go getters as coordinators

frankly at this point i think the statements by mort and all of them that getting rid of TD would be a step back look pretty true.

it looks like we are taking a step back just like we did when we ditched drew, the problem is we are still waiting to take our step forward.

Well, I lived in Chicago throughout the Dick Jauron era and I can most assuredly tell you that what you have described above has little in common with a Dick Jauron team.

His teams were boring, unimaginative, undisciplined, and exceedingly boring to watch.  His personality makes Mike Mularkey seem effervescent and effusive.  Jauron stonewalls in press conferences, mumbles, and generally makes one wish your team had never hired him.  The 13-3 season had very little to do with his coaching, it is referred to in Chciago as the "miracle year" due to the improbable series of events that lead to five wins.  The offense was atrocious and the defense was overrated.  They played a last place schedule and got lucky...much like this year's Bears team did.  The rest of his teams were miserable failures and the players did not enjoy playing for him.

His defenses specialized in the "bend but don't break" schemes that were proven ineffective in Jacksonville, Chicago, and Detroit.  The day he was fired in Chciago was a great day.

This guy is "ol' boys network" hire and I am thoroughly disappointed with Marv's first move.  I'd rather the Bills had given a guy like Bobby April or Jim Caldwell a shot rather than this recycled bum. 

I don't know the reasns as to why Sherman was not hired, nor can I speculate, but Dick Jauron is the wrong hire.

Have fun Bills fans, you're gonna f@cking hate Dick Jauron by Week 1 of the preseason.

579238[/snapback]

Dick Jauron standing on his own may be a non-flashy, boring hire. Dick Jauron working hand in hand with Marv as GM makes Dick a much better hire. These two will develop a cohesion much like Levy did with Polian. They will reach consensus....bring in the best, high character players and have a plan,,,,. The coach and GM are like the CEO of a company. They need to have vision and hire good assistants to work in the trenches.

It was a remarkably cold January day in Chicago and the fans of Chicago were ecstatic that the long and horrible Dave Wannstedt era had mercifully ended. The Bears had cast a wide net in their coaching search and had brought in a bunch of candidates during a "down year" for coaching prospects. Gunther Cunningham, Sherman Lewis, Joe Pendry, Dave McGinnis, and Dick Jauron.

We were all hopeful that the McCaskey family would select a quality candidate from the slim pickings of the market. They eventually settled on Dave McGinnis and brought him into town to firm up contract details. McGinnis was a Ditka disciple and had long ties to the Bears franchise. Well, the Bears scheduled a press conference to announce the hiring of McGinnis...too bad he had yet to sign a contract and the Bears were trying to force him into a cheap contract.

Needless to say, things didn't work out, the Bears were embarrassed, their doddering old team president was a public joke, and Dick Jauron rode back into town to take the job. He was the second choice of the orgnization, took a wildly low salary, and was about as inspiring to the fanbase as bread pudding.

Oddly enough, I think today is the anniversary of that horribly dark day in Bears history...

Dick Jauron...always the second choice and always hired because he'll work for peanuts.

Dick Jauron working hand in hand with Marv as GM makes Dick a much better hire.  These two will develop a cohesion much like Levy did with Polian.  They will reach consensus....bring in the best, high character players and have a plan,,,,.  The coach and GM are like the CEO of a company.  They need to have vision and hire good assistants to work in the trenches.

579418[/snapback]

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just think of all the great discussions those two IVY Leaguers can have about Winston Churchill :D

Don't paint all the fans with one brush. Many of us have been clamoring for more investment on the lines rather than secondrate WR's like Parrish and Reed. Some of us would have preferred the steady Winfield to the flashy Clements.

I guess your position on the Jauron hire has a lot to do with where you stand on the Levy hire. If you trust Marv (81 years old and out of football for a decade) to make excellent decisions, you like the Jauron move. If you think Marv was a bad hire (like I do...as do the majority of people outside of Buffalo), then you think hiring Jauron was a bad move.

It was a remarkably cold January day in Chicago and the fans of Chicago were ecstatic that the long and horrible Dave Wannstedt era had mercifully ended.  The Bears had cast a wide net in their coaching search and had brought in a bunch of candidates during a "down year" for coaching prospects.  Gunther Cunningham, Sherman Lewis, Joe Pendry, Dave McGinnis, and Dick Jauron.

We were all hopeful that the McCaskey family would select a quality candidate from the slim pickings of the market.  They eventually settled on Dave McGinnis and brought him into town to firm up contract details.  McGinnis was a Ditka disciple and had long ties to the Bears franchise.  Well, the Bears scheduled a press conference to announce the hiring of McGinnis...too bad he had yet to sign a contract and the Bears were trying to force him into a cheap contract.

Needless to say, things didn't work out, the Bears were embarrassed, their doddering old team president was a public joke, and Dick Jauron rode back into town to take the job.  He was the second choice of the orgnization, took a wildly low salary, and was about as inspiring to the fanbase as bread pudding.

Oddly enough, I think today is the anniversary of that horribly dark day in Bears history...

Dick Jauron...always the second choice and always hired because he'll work for peanuts.

579422[/snapback]

if this is accurate then I am officially freaked out. :D

Regarding all above, I can tell you that at best I am ambivalent about the Jauron hiring. Can never tell who will be good or bad until they do the job, but I do think it is pertinent to pay attention to history as it is often a predictor of future events.

Jauron did post a rather miserable record in his time in Chi-town. We can ignore the Detroit stuff. And quite honestly, if you all objectively remember, the 2001 13-3 record was the stuff dreams are made of in terms of the way they won a number of those games. They were also trounced by the Eagles in their first playoff game. (Although Jim Miller did get hurt.

All in all, I think the Bills are in more trouble right now as a team on the offensive side of the ball. There is for sure an identify crisis as well as plenty of unsettled business like the QB situation.

With all that in mind. I would have preferred Sherman and his offensive approach as well as his 'experience' with winning. They do say you need to be 'taught' to win. (Yes, I know he had much better personnel than Jauron in Chi, and I agree, however previous success can bring a different mindset with it. Not saying they are even close to the same, but it is the same type of reason a guy like Parcells goes to a team that looks desparate and they win 7 - 9 games the next year.)

So with all of that, I am not negative on the Jauron hiring, just doesn't really do anything for me. After watching the end of season theatrics, (whose running the team, am I?, is it you? it's him. No he quit, but I will take over, no you won't, sorry, was I speaking for you...) I was resigned to not renewing seasons. (Not worth the hours of prep and hundreds on food and booze each week plus the Monday vacation days) The thought of Sherman coming in made me consider it again, although I was to wait and see what happened in draft and free agency. I don't think you owe your BLIND ALLEGIANCE to a team. The owners and players always say it is a business, well it is. If you put a good product and market it right, people will buy. Otherwise they won't. It's like buying a Pinto because you work at Ford. If your the type who does, I am sure you will enjoy your seasons. Not being a smart $%^@, just trying to express a little disappointment at the move.

Jaurons Record

| Reg. Season | Playoffs |

+----------+--------------+----------+

| Year TM | W L T | W L |

| 1999 chi | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |

| 2000 chi | 5 11 0 | 0 0 |

| 2001 chi | 13 3 0 | 0 1 |

| 2002 chi | 4 12 0 | 0 0 |

| 2003 chi | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |

| 2005 det | 1 4 0 | 0 0 |

| TOTALS | 36 49 0 | 0 1 |

Now we have a new sheriff in town named Marv Levy, who has a very different approach.  We are going to build this team right, from the bottom up with quality, character players.  Not everyone will be from that lack of character institution--the University of Miami--we'll get some quality guys.  We will build the lines-- so we can block and tackle.  We will get the fundamentals right.

Enter Dick Jauron.  Certainly no flash there.  But by every account a quality man who players will play for.  Oh, and he went to Yale, so he's likely smart, and can learn from his mistakes.  And he's high character, and a teacher.  And he knows the value of a stout D-line.

So what do many on this board want--run him out of town.  Why, because we did not hire the flashier, instant gratification candidate in Mike Sherman.

579193[/snapback]

I disagree with almost the entire post but SDS and Bill have summarized my thoughts. Just a couple more - What makes you say Mike Sherman would have been the 'flashier' choice ? I don't see him gloated on by the media or anyone else. Atleast he has a better record with the Packers and took them to more playoffs than DJ did Chicago.

Just because he is the 'surprise' choice does not make him the best choice. His record as HC and DC has been dismal. For every Bellichek there are several more Rich Kotites so please stop giving that example.