I like Levy Better Than

Casey D

Leading candidates for the HC job seem to be Sherman, Haslett and Payton. Gee that sounds so much better than the relative unknowns of Williams and Mularkey back in the day. Marv does not seem to mind finding a real coach, not one that simply knows his place...CD

I wonder if TD went on the cheap because he was profit sharing with Ralph on the bottom line?

570557[/snapback]

No, I think he did it because he thinks he is smarter than everyone else, and because by reaching for a coach, the coach would feel indebted to TD and not challenge him, like Cowher did in Pittsburgh. No inside knowledge, just an insight into likely human behavior...CD

No, I think he did it because he thinks he is smarter than everyone else, and because by reaching for a coach, the coach would feel indebted to TD and not challenge him, like Cowher did in Pittsburgh.  No inside knowledge, just an insight into likely human behavior...CD

570576[/snapback]

I believe there is something to the notion that TD "got off" on proving people wrong and going against the traditional grain. I think that his desire to feed his ego may have prevented him from doing what is truly in the best interests of a football organization.

Just a hunch, but there appears to be supporting evidence out there.

I believe there is something to the notion that TD "got off" on proving people wrong and going against the traditional grain.  I think that his desire to feed his ego may have prevented him from doing what is truly in the best interests of a football organization.

Just a hunch, but there appears to be supporting evidence out there.

570603[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. I think TD wanted to "make a splash" by hiring the next great coach that he found out of nowhere...combined with the fact that he probably wanted someone who wouldn't challenge him.

No, I think he did it because he thinks he is smarter than everyone else, and because by reaching for a coach, the coach would feel indebted to TD and not challenge him, like Cowher did in Pittsburgh.  No inside knowledge, just an insight into likely human behavior...CD

570576[/snapback]

I think you hit it on the head where TD is concerned. He never could resist taking a shot at a "reach". I don't know if he was trying to show that he was smarter than the average GM or liked the headlines that come with those kinds of moves. The motivation is a mystery but he was unable to resist the attraction of those kinds of moves. Moth to a flame. That having been said, I don't know if we ever had a GM who worked harder than he did to try and make us a winner. It was time for him to go but I wish him the best and am grateful for the effort despite the results.

I think you hit it on the head where TD is concerned.  He never could resist taking a shot at a "reach".  I don't know if he was trying to show that he was smarter than the average GM or liked the headlines that come with those kinds of moves.  The motivation is a mystery but he was unable to resist the attraction of those kinds of moves.  Moth to a flame.  That having been said, I don't know if we ever had a GM who worked harder than he did to try and make us a winner.  It was time for him to go but I wish him the best and am grateful for the effort despite the results.

570627[/snapback]

I agree with your parting observations. In terms of customer relations and service, as a club seat holder they are world class. Constant phone calls, Christmas gifts, all sorts of little stuff. Well run business--just a depressing on-field product...Cd

You know, I do find it very interesting that we have heard NOTHING from TD since the season finale. In fact, it's never even been clear to me whether he was fired or resigned. Ralph hinted that the parting of ways was a mutual decision.

I just find it odd that TD never had some kind of a press conference or at least a press release stating that he did the best he could but it just didn't work out. At least Gregg Williams came across as very classy in his goodbye address, which I am sure helped him quickly land the gig in Washington.

I just find the TD silence to be a bit ... eerie.

You know, I do find it very interesting that we have heard NOTHING from TD since the season finale. In fact, it's never even been clear to me whether he was fired or resigned. Ralph hinted that the parting of ways was a mutual decision.

I just find it odd that TD never had some kind of a press conference or at least a press release stating that he did the best he could but it just didn't work out. At least Gregg Williams came across as very classy in his goodbye address, which I am sure helped him quickly land the gig in Washington.

571186[/snapback]

Donahoe released a statement:

"While we are very proud of the progress made by the Bills organization over the last few seasons, we also recognize the fact that this is a bottom-line business and our record has not been good enough," Donahoe said. "I take full responsibility for that."

571186[/snapback]

You have heard from him (and MM) -- it has been through their mouthpieces such as Mort, Clayton, and Lenny P.

Leading candidates for the HC job seem to be Sherman, Haslett and Payton.  Gee that sounds so much better than the relative unknowns of Williams and Mularkey back in the day.  Marv does not seem to mind finding a real coach, not one that simply knows his place...CD

570550[/snapback]

No...

TD would have candidates like John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith, Charlie Wiess all lined up and bring em in for an interview, and then out of no where when nobody expected it he would hire Mularky or Williams.

I remember up at Bills training camp when I was on the sidelines getting autographs Greg Williams came over and a fan said something about "his team" Gregs response was its not my team its his and pointed to Tom Donahoe.....I thought he was just being humble but turns out he was just stating the truth.

No...

TD would have candidates like John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith, Charlie Wiess all lined up and bring em in for an interview, and then out of no where when nobody expected it he would hire Mularky or Williams.

571204[/snapback]

Well if ML goes out and hires the OC of Arizona, I'll retract my comment...CD