A Few Quick Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

1) I read some of the "conspiracy theory" posts about the Bengals giving us the game. Well, I don't think that the Bengals would allow #94 to kick their prized quarterback's a$$, so I tend to dismiss said theories.

2) Speaking of #94, how about if once and for all we put to bed the comments about how he does poorly against the better competition. It is really special to watch a player improve right in front of your eyes from week to week. If AS stays healthy in 06, he will be a monster DE, or so I think.

3) In 06, Lee Evans is going to make us remember why he was the 14th selection of a draft. I think that he was the only "skill player" selected by TD that I have never complained about. The kid can play.

4) Kudos to Peters. He did not seem to get as much help this week and held up quite well. TD, make this kid another offer, and do it in a hurry.

5) Sorry folks, but Gandy is taking a step backwards each week. I don't know, maybe he is hurt, but he is getting destroyed on too many plays, this after a reasonable start.

6) I am not going to jump on Willis; I just will not. He is lining up behind Teague at OC, and no guards (Sorry CV, this song is over). That said, I wish he would take things a tad more seriously.

7) McGee is just off of the charts on special teams. Our STs are just awesome. Denney had a great ST tackle early on. If Cincy goes down, they should watch tapes of this game and see how important STs are in this salary cap era.

8) Why did it appear that Holcombe had more arm strength than usual? Was it the wind conditions?

Anyway, I wish all of you a Merry Christmas. I hope that your day is filled with pure joy and delight. I have to trek into Staten Island to see my wife's family, and will do so without complaining, even if we hit traffic. I hope that it pays off. You married guys know what I am talking about.

My daughter is home from school, so I get to be with her for another week. It's all good.

God Bless you all and your families. And, Merry Christmas to Gus, our little tough guy.

1) I read some of the "conspiracy theory" posts about the Bengals giving us the game. Well, I don't think that the Bengals would allow #94 to kick their prized quarterback's a$$, so I tend to dismiss said theories.

2) Speaking of #94, how about if once and for all we put to bed the comments about how he does poorly against the better competition. It is really special to watch a player improve right in front of your eyes from week to week. If AS stays healthy in 06, he will be a monster DE, or so I think.

3) In 06, Lee Evans is going to make us remember why he was the 14th selection of a draft. I think that he was the only "skill player" selected by TD that I have never complained about. The kid can play.

4) Kudos to Peters. He did not seem to get as much help this week and held up quite well. TD, make this kid another offer, and do it in a hurry.

5) Sorry folks, but Gandy is taking a step backwards each week. I don't know, maybe he is hurt, but he is getting destroyed on too many plays, this after a reasonable start.

6) I am not going to jump on Willis; I just will not. He is lining up behind Teague at OC, and no guards (Sorry CV, this song is over). That said, I wish he would take things a tad more seriously.

7) McGee is just off of the charts on special teams. Our STs are just awesome. Denney had a great ST tackle early on. If Cincy goes down, they should watch tapes of this game and see how important STs are in this salary cap era.

8) Why did it appear that Holcombe had more arm strength than usual? Was it the wind conditions?

Anyway, I wish all of you a Merry Christmas. I hope that your day is filled with pure joy and delight. I have to trek into Staten Island to see my wife's family, and will do so without complaining, even if we hit traffic. I hope that it pays off. You married guys know what I am talking about.

My daughter is home from school, so I get to be with her for another week. It's all good.

God Bless you all and your families. And, Merry Christmas to Gus, our little tough guy.

542232[/snapback]

Speaking of #94 I would be more impressed if he could stop the run against anyone ........ if i see another running back run to his side for huge yards again I am just going to scream .............He is a very good pass rusher .........but I want a very good Defensive End ;)

Speaking of #94 I would be more impressed if he could stop the run against anyone ........ if i see another running back run to his side for huge yards again I am just going to scream .............He is a very good pass rusher .........but I want a very good Defensive End  ;)

542235[/snapback]

I tink it´s more of a system thing. They´re playing the same way they´re playing when we had Pat and Sam clogging the middle of the line for the LBs to step up and make the play.

Gray is trying to do the same now with Anderson and Bannan. Most of the time a guard and the FB is on the LB´s face and the RB finds an easy gap to run throuhg.

I blame Gray for not trying to adjust to the players he PUTS on the field. Without talent up front the system is doomed to fail.

merry christmas all.

before tcali set me straight and told me that aaron sucks (and tcali was dismissive about it too, which is a bonus, can't blame him tho, must be hard to always be right), i used to think aaron played the run well.

he gets good leverage on his man and makes plays on the edge. the problem is he gets up field so damn much (prolly 60% scheme, 40% his tendency) and gets out of the play a bit.

if TKO was behind him it would still result in a massive hit and a short gain, and some fumbles too.

we miss TKO

542232[/snapback]

I think rumors about Holcomb's lack of arm strength have been greatly exaggerated by JP fanboys on the board. To be sure, Holcomb doesn't have an arm like Bledsoe, or maybe even Losman, but his arm strength is more than adequate. He just seems to have a different QB philosophy than those two. If a play breaks down (as they often do in Buffalo), Losman or Bledsoe might be more inclined to gun it down field, often overthrowing everyone on the field, to avoid a sack or an interception. Holcomb will opt for the 3 or 4 yard pass if it there...

I think rumors about Holcomb's lack of arm strength have been greatly exaggerated by JP fanboys on the board.  To be sure, Holcomb doesn't have an arm like Bledsoe, or maybe even Losman, but his arm strength is more than adequate.  He just seems to have a different QB philosophy than those two.  If a play breaks down (as they often do in Buffalo), Losman or Bledsoe might be more inclined to gun it down field, often overthrowing everyone on the field, to avoid a sack or an interception.  Holcomb will opt for the 3 or 4 yard pass if it there...

Yeah and unfortunately that's also the case on plays where it's 3rd down and 5 or more yards are needed.

I think rumors about Holcomb's lack of arm strength have been greatly exaggerated by JP fanboys on the board.  To be sure, Holcomb doesn't have an arm like Bledsoe, or maybe even Losman, but his arm strength is more than adequate.  He just seems to have a different QB philosophy than those two.  If a play breaks down (as they often do in Buffalo), Losman or Bledsoe might be more inclined to gun it down field, often overthrowing everyone on the field, to avoid a sack or an interception.  Holcomb will opt for the 3 or 4 yard pass if it there...

542263[/snapback]

His arm strength is terrible for an NFL quarterback. Quarterbacks, however, with terrible arm strength can often get away with it 90% of the time when they make good decisions, when they throw accurately, when they release the ball quickly, when the line gives him time, etc. Holcomb did all of that yesterday and had a very good game. There was not one pass he threw yesterday that showed any arm strength, however, including the bomb to Evans. It was just an excellent, lofty pass that hit a wide open receiver in perfect stride 35 yards downfield.

Lack of arm strength true....but it's no accident that Holcomb has a 63% career completion percentage. JP will never come close to 63% in our wildest dreams for a career. That's not saying JP won't be good some day but the fact is that Holcomb is a more accurate passer for a myriad of reasons.

Lack of arm strength true....but it's no accident that Holcomb has a 63% career completion percentage.  JP will never come close to 63% in our wildest dreams for a career.  That's not saying JP won't be good some day but the fact is that Holcomb is a more accurate passer for a myriad of reasons.

542271[/snapback]

I do not want to take away from Holcomb's very good game yesterday and he is a valuable player on virtually any team. I'm very glad we have him. But his completion percentage this year and over his career is grossly exaggerated because he is very, very, very content to throw a 3 yard completion on 3rd and 7, an 8 yard completion on 3rd and 11, a 5 yard completion on 4th and 9 that other quarterbacks will go for the first down on. This happens a few times a game and gets his completion percentage and quarterback rating way up and is often a distorted stat.

I do not want to take away from Holcomb's very good game yesterday and he is a valuable player on virtually any team. I'm very glad we have him. But his completion percentage this year and over his career is grossly exaggerated because he is very, very, very content to throw a 3 yard completion on 3rd and 7, an 8 yard completion on 3rd and 11, a 5 yard completion on 4th and 9 that other quarterbacks will go for the first down on. This happens a few times a game and gets his completion percentage and quarterback rating way up and is often a distorted stat.

542275[/snapback]

I understand your points and you make some good one's.....but i will happily take JP checking down and allowing the WR's to make a play..over seeing him scramble for his life towards the sidelines and then unleashing a rope 10 yards over anyone's head that lands in the players bench. We've seen that way too much. Holcomb makes some bonehead throws that are short but yesterday we saw examples of several short slants that turned into nice gains by Moulds, Parrish, Evans, etc.. again, accuracy is key. We know JP can throw the long ball that Evans can run under but he must refine his short/medium game and make quicker decisions along with accuracy.

His arm strength is terrible for an NFL quarterback. Quarterbacks, however, with terrible arm strength can often get away with it 90% of the time when they make good decisions, when they throw accurately, when they release the ball quickly, when the line gives him time, etc. Holcomb did all of that yesterday and had a very good game. There was not one pass he threw yesterday that showed any arm strength, however, including the bomb to Evans. It was just an excellent, lofty pass that hit a wide open receiver in perfect stride 35 yards downfield.

542265[/snapback]

Hmmm...I guess we will agree to disagree on Holcomb's arm strength. I think it is adequate. If he can only complete passes to receivers who are wide open, it is an improvment over some of what we have seen. I would value accuracy over arm strength. What good is being able to throw a 60 yard bomb, if your reciver is 55 or 65 yards away?

All that said, I am hoping JP starts next week against the Jets. He was starting to show some noticable improvement, in his decision making and his accuracy....

Bottom line: Holcomb whacked the B'gals in their own house. I would have liked to have JP get the start, but I don't quite understand why anyone is saying "ack!!!" about KH's job yesterday. Cripe...24 of 31!  :angry:

542405[/snapback]

Agreed. I'd also rather see JP start, but I can't complain about KH's performance...he had a great game, nice win

Bottom line: Holcomb whacked the B'gals in their own house. I would have liked to have JP get the start, but I don't quite understand why anyone is saying "ack!!!" about KH's job yesterday. Cripe...24 of 31!  :angry:

542405[/snapback]

I havent seen anyone here say "Ack!" over Holcomb's job yesterday at all.