Mort on Countdown

Rico

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm unfamiliar with pioli and wolf, can anyone giveme some backgrounds?

521839[/snapback]

Pioli, with Belichick, is credited in building the Patriots into the team they are today.

Link to Official Bio.

Wolf of course is credited with building the Packers of the early 90s that went to back to back Super Bowls. Not to mention having a great ability to assess QBs as he's the one who "stole Brett Favre from the Falcons" not to mention drafted Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks and even had Kurt Warner in camp with the Packers prior to his arrival in St Louis.

i'm surprised that mort aired this even if he heard it. mort has always been pretty tight with tom, or at least it seemed so.

the day after a brutal loss, the pain and frustration always subsides into a state of calm acceptance. Still pissed, but the sting is gone. I actually feel bad for both Mularkey and Donahoe. No, I still think they deserve all the criticism one could throw at them. I feel bad because they tried. They really, really tried. They wanted it every bit as badly as we did, and probably much more, being right at the helm of "it".

For all the frustration we feel, I'm sure they have it tenfold. And they're both good people. They're not dolts with bad judgment like Mike Tice or pissy as$holes like Mike Martz and AJ Smith. They're both really good guys who believe in what they're doing, and they keep getting upended. It must be very humbling. I hope it's humbling. It should be humbling.

So you feel bad for the PEOPLE Mike Mularkey and Tom Donahoe and wish them well, but as the COACH and GM of the team you follow, you can't easily forgive them for failing to adequately build an offensive line in 5 years, for not even entertaining a new contract for Pat Williams, and for continually making the same kinds of mistakes on game day. I count 9 games under Mularkey where brutally stupid and tricksy calls backfired and ultimately cost us the game. I just don't see a lot of LEARNING taking place, and the first thing he said when asked about passing on 1st and goal at the 3 was, "lesson learned".

It just gets old, you know? RESULTS are all that matter.

Crazy thing is, if Donahoe is our GM next year, I'm going to be behind him. I'll have my much-earned doubts, but I'll be behind him. I actually think he has fielded a very talented team, and his one failure is a major one; his undoing is the offensive line. Not even the famous Jim McNally can help this bunch. If Mularkey is our head coach, I'll be behind him. I'll have even more doubts than I would with Donahoe, but I'll still watch the games, and I'll probably still come here to waste time talking about it all. I'd like to buy everyone who has a football-shaped lump in their throat a beer, but I won't be attending any remaining games this season.

Just wanna be a contender, y'know?

I don't think it's that important to have a list of GM candidates in hand. There's usually about one or two hot names, like the personnel director from Baltimore last year. Usually, personnel directors and head scouts are the most likely to become GM's, and how many of them has anyone heard of?

I might be the only one on this board that thinks RW will break with his historically cheap ways to hire the best GM/coach he can because he wants to win and is not concerned with leaving maybe $20 mil less to the kids, who will already be getting, what, half a billion?

just said Ralph could fire TD, leaving MM's job hanging in the balance. Even Mort's turning on TD.

521758[/snapback]

That's funny. I heard Mort on friday on ESPN radio say there was a 0% chance of Mularkey or Donahoe getting fired.

That's funny.  I heard Mort on friday on ESPN radio say there was a 0% chance of Mularkey or Donahoe getting fired.

521855[/snapback]

Wasn't Friday a day that almost everyone on this board would have said there was 0% chance that the Bills, if they had a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter, would be able to blow said lead to another team that came into the game 4-7 and had Mitch's brother and some guy named Sage as their top 2 quarterbacks?

i'm surprised that mort aired this even if he heard it. mort has always been pretty tight with tom, or at least it seemed so.

the day after a brutal loss, the pain and frustration always subsides into a state of calm acceptance. Still pissed, but the sting is gone. I actually feel bad for both Mularkey and Donahoe. No, I still think they deserve all the criticism one could throw at them. I feel bad because they tried. They really, really tried. They wanted it every bit as badly as we did, and probably much more, being right at the helm of "it".

For all the frustration we feel, I'm sure they have it tenfold. And they're both good people. They're not dolts with bad judgment like Mike Tice or pissy as$holes like Mike Martz and AJ Smith. They're both really good guys who believe in what they're doing, and they keep getting upended. It must be very humbling. I hope it's humbling. It should be humbling.

So you feel bad for the PEOPLE Mike Mularkey and Tom Donahoe and wish them well, but as the COACH and GM of the team you follow, you can't easily forgive them for failing to adequately build an offensive line in 5 years, for not even entertaining a new contract for Pat Williams, and for continually making the same kinds of mistakes on game day. I count 9 games under Mularkey where brutally stupid and tricksy calls backfired and ultimately cost us the game. I just don't see a lot of LEARNING taking place, and the first thing he said when asked about passing on 1st and goal at the 3 was, "lesson learned".

Crazy thing is, if Donahoe is our GM next year, I'm going to be behind him. I'll have my much-earned doubts, but I'll be behind him. I actually think he has fielded a very talented team, and his one failure is a major one; his undoing is the offensive line. Not even the famous Jim McNally can help this bunch. If Mularkey is our head coach, I'll be behind him. I'll have even more doubts than I would with Donahoe, but I'll still watch the games, and I'll probably still come here to waste time talking about it all. I'd like to buy everyone who has a football-shaped lump in their throat a beer, but I won't be attending any remaining games this season.

521848[/snapback]

You forgot the defensive line too----details details.So he didnt build offensive or defensive lines..lets not nitpick.

My list of candidates to replace TD

1. Anyone alive in the world today except Tom Donahoe.

2. Anyone else not named Tom Donahoe.

521888[/snapback]

How about anyone on the planet not named Tom Donahoe AND even those named Tom Donahoe that arent the SAME Tom Donahoe?

Uhmm-did that make sense?...............................$576&Y&*&Y*

Guest BackInDaDay

521848[/snapback]

Helsinki syndrome? :blink:

To be honest,  I think Mularkey deserves the benefit of the doubt.  He has a bad DL and a pathetic OL.  He's made some poor game decisions with gimmick plays at times,  but I wonder how much is influenced by the fact that his team has no talent in the trenches.  Even at 4-8 and despite the poor line play,  they've been competitive most of the year.   

BS! The problem with this team is not lack of talent but poor coaching and gameday playcalling. I'll bet if our coach was named Belichek we'd have more than 4 wins. As far as the DL and Ol go: now the run block has been atrocious since MW keeps getting hurt and relegated to the bench but the DL and run D has picked up the past few weeks. The pass blocking has been manageable. The biggest problem has been playcalling and personell management and getting an identity on offense and establishing rhythm; we have played 12 games and have neither. I mean how many teams subsitute as much on offense as the Bills do, with WR and RBs going in and out every 3-4 plays? How many teams take out BOTH starting WR as much as the Bills do? All we have shown is flashes as one game WM is running great or JP is dropping bombs and when we do have succes the coaching staff doesn't know how to build upon it. Just thank god the D steeped up 3 weeks ago when we played KC or we'd be talking about a meltdown in that game after JP came in and dropped those bombs!