Nate Clements

C.Biscuit97

Seriously, how fickle are Bills fans? Last year, Clements next to Spikes was the best player on our defense. He has constantly made big plays throughout his career. Now, granted his play is down this year but what the hell? But he came out stated he was the best corner in the league. Oh my God, what an a-hole. A confident corner, what has the world come to. Clements is matched on the best wr in man to man for most of the game. He is forced to play 10 yards off, on a team with a very suspect pass rush. Has he missed tackles? Yes. Has he got beat? Yes, especially lately. But you know what, so has Champ Bailey. And when he misses tackles it's not a case of him going in scared. It's more of him being too aggressive. No one was complaining last year when he was shutting down Chad Johnson last year. My point is that Clements, at 26, is one of the best corners in the league who is having some down moments. And as a corner, they tend to stand out more than a LB. But if he leaves and goes to a team with a good front four, trust me, we will regret it big time. But then again, some of you will just talk about how he doesn't speak well or isn't smart and treat him like crap ala Travis and Flutie. But I guess Clements has no class. <_<

Seriously, how fickle are Bills fans?  Last year, Clements next to Spikes was the best player on our defense.  He has constantly made big plays throughout his career.  Now, granted his play is down this year but what the hell?  But he came out stated he was the best corner in the league.  Oh my God, what an a-hole.  A confident corner, what has the world come to.  Clements is matched on the best wr in man to man for most of the game.  He is forced to play 10 yards off, on a team with a very suspect pass rush.  Has he missed tackles?  Yes.  Has he got beat?  Yes, especially lately.  But you know what, so has Champ Bailey.  And when he misses tackles it's not a case of him going in scared.  It's more of him being too aggressive.  No one was complaining last year when he was shutting down Chad Johnson last year.  My point is that Clements, at 26, is one of the best corners in the league who is having some down moments.  And as a corner, they tend to stand out more than a LB.  But if he leaves and goes to a team with a good front four, trust me, we will regret it big time.  But then again, some of you will just talk about how he doesn't speak well or isn't smart and treat him like crap ala Travis and Flutie.  But I guess Clements has no class.  <_<

521512[/snapback]

My thought on Clements is this:

If the Bills are going to commit to constructing a winning football team as opposed to just worrying about selling tickets and luxury boxes (remains to be seen), I'd much rather see the team invest in shoring up the run defense, putting together a pass rush that can aid our corners in getting teams off the field on 3rd downs, and, of course, rebuilding our woefully talentless offensive line. Now, if we can get this done while keeping Clements @ a reasonable salary, I'm all for it. I just don't think that will happen.

My thought on Clements is this:

If the Bills are going to commit to constructing a winning football team as opposed to just worrying about selling tickets and luxury boxes (remains to be seen), I'd much rather see the team invest in shoring up the run defense, putting together a pass rush that can aid our corners in getting teams off the field on 3rd downs, and, of course, rebuilding our woefully talentless offensive line.  Now, if we can get this done while keeping Clements @ a reasonable salary, I'm all for it.  I just don't think that will happen.

521518[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly.

Have you seen much of Maa'ke Kemoeatu? I was looking at the list of FA DTs and the list looks slim.

According to ESPN.com insider:

• We hear that Bills CB Nate Clements, due to be an unrestricted free agent following the season, has not boosted his market value so far this season. He wants to be paid as a top cover corner but has just one interception this year.

Whispers

521554[/snapback]

Thats exactly what i said in an earlier post today. He has had a bad year and teams are not afraid to throw his way. He is not a top corner. He is however our best corner so what do you do. The debate goes on. I doubt he will be franchised and he and his agent will test the market. Some team will over pay him but thats the NFL.

Have you seen much of Maa'ke Kemoeatu? I was looking at the list of FA DTs and the list looks slim.

521538[/snapback]

He's gotten some playing time for Baltimore this season. I went to both Steelers-Ravens games this year (his brother, Chris, is a rookie for the Steelers), and he saw action in both. He doesn't seem to be as quck footed as Chris, but holds up well against double teams and is a load to move. He's nothing special, but I'd rather see him in there than our guys. That said, I'd rather go after a top free agent or draft the best DT available early.

Sometimes losing your best players is not the worst thing. Particularly if you are not winning with them...the Sabres lost their best offensive player and their best defensemen this past off-season. They are excelling without them....Clements may be our best DB, and maybe even the best player on our defense. Does that mean we can't get any better?

Exactly! All players will make mistakes. It's the lard a$$es sitting at home on there arses that think that these guys should all be perfect. Yet they got cut from their high school football team.

Just look at Newman, Phat Pat, Antoine, Cowart. All having success. Clements is a great player. Yes, I said great. He will have success where ever he goes. I hope he stays in Buffalo. We need a PROVEN play maker like him. How many times has he saved our team in the past with a timely INT or hit for a fumble? Sure, he's not having the best games, but this happens to the best of them.

Lest we forget, Nate saved our butts in the first Dolphin game.

He also knocked down a pass in the end zone a play or two before the td.

It is humorous how people have these crusades against our best players.

521575[/snapback]

it has been like that for it seems like ever. there were crusades against kelly (reich had many supporters) and especially thurman. let's not forget bruce smith either. i concluded long ago that buffalonians simply do not like superstars (not that clements is at that level) -- they cut against residents' perception of themselves as the denizens of a hard-working, lunch pail town.

He's gotten some playing time for Baltimore this season.  I went to both Steelers-Ravens games this year (his brother, Chris, is a rookie for the Steelers), and he saw action in both.  He doesn't seem to be as quck footed as Chris, but holds up well against double teams and is a load to move.  He's nothing special, but I'd rather see him in there than our guys.  That said, I'd rather go after a top free agent or draft the best DT available early.

521562[/snapback]

This is the FA list: http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...16entry491916

Anyone on there you would take over Maa'ke?

I definitely argee that addressing the d-line is the number #1 priority. I just would love for us to find a way to keep Nate. I just know how good he is and how much better he will be with a good pass rush. Perhaps with his slippage this year, he may not get the money on the market he was looking for. I just hope that people realize that he is a very good player.

it has been like that for it seems like ever. there were crusades against kelly (reich had many supporters) and especially thurman. let's not forget bruce smith either.  i concluded long ago that buffalonians simply do not like superstars (not that clements is at that level) -- they cut against residents' perception of themselves as the denizens of a hard-working, lunch pail town.

521585[/snapback]

Why is that? I know cities like Philly and New York are like that but Buffalo. I love Buffalo but it is hard enough to get players to come here because it's not the marquee market. So let's add negative fans who take cheap shots at players to the mix. Brillant!!! :blink:

it has been like that for it seems like ever. there were crusades against kelly (reich had many supporters) and especially thurman. let's not forget bruce smith either.  i concluded long ago that buffalonians simply do not like superstars (not that clements is at that level) -- they cut against residents' perception of themselves as the denizens of a hard-working, lunch pail town.

521585[/snapback]

Don't forget that Glenn Parker also sucked.

Sometimes losing your best players is not the worst thing.  Particularly if you are not winning with them...the Sabres lost their best offensive player and their best defensemen this past off-season.  They are excelling without them....Clements may be our best DB, and maybe even the best player on our defense.  Does that mean we can't get any better?

521565[/snapback]

15 receptions 239 yards 1 td...If NC is our best defensive player we're f***ed

Lest we forget, Nate saved our butts in the first Dolphin game. 

He also knocked down a pass in the end zone a play or two before the td.

521575[/snapback]

don't forget he also caused Chambers' fumble that helped us score the 2nd TD in the 1st Quarter.