Genesis "The Musical Box"

Webster Guy

I am one of those people whose musical tastes are just stuck in the past. There is a lot of new music which I find ok, some very good, but I am stuck on 70's and 80's music. Not just the popular hits of the time, but the bands themselves.

So, I am going to see a band called "The Musical Box" at Shea's Peforming Arts Center, Friday at 8:00 pm. They do old Gabriel Genesis and tickets are $37.50. $37.50??? Well, screw it, I'm going with a buddy of mine who shares my musical taste. The opportunity to see this music performed live doesn't come around too often, so I guess I got to grab the opportunity as I love that music. Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is my all time favorite album. I know every word, every drum beat. Lame? OK, I admit it. A buddy of mine who lives in Cleveland saw them last month and said they were unbelievable.

My friends always kid me ("let it go, MAN"). But I can't!

Anyway, I am in Rochester (Webster) and have never been to Shea's. Supposedly they have orchestra seats and balcony seats. Anyone ever been there? Any good? Anyone know anyone who can get me great seats?...haha

Thanks,

Jeff

Anyway, I am in Rochester (Webster) and have never been to Shea's.  Supposedly they have orchestra seats and balcony seats.  Anyone ever been there?  Any good? Anyone know anyone who can get me great seats?...haha

Thanks,

Jeff

515941[/snapback]

They have a loge section at the front of the balcony. If you can get them, those are the best seats in the house IMHO. I saw Gilmour play there many years ago. The seats were looking right down on him.

If you can't get loge, I'd go floor before sitting further back in the balcony.

I am one of those people whose musical tastes are just stuck in the past.  There is a lot of new music which I find ok, some very good, but I am stuck on 70's and 80's music.  Not just the popular hits of the time, but the bands themselves.

So, I am going to see a band called "The Musical Box" at Shea's Peforming Arts Center, Friday at 8:00 pm.  They do old Gabriel Genesis and tickets are $37.50.  $37.50??? Well, screw it, I'm going with a buddy of mine who shares my musical taste.  The opportunity to see this music performed live doesn't come around too often, so I guess I got to grab the opportunity as I love that music.  Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is my all time favorite album.  I know every word, every drum beat.  Lame? OK, I admit it.  A buddy of mine who lives in Cleveland saw them last month and said they were unbelievable.

My friends always kid me ("let it go, MAN").  But I can't!

Anyway, I am in Rochester (Webster) and have never been to Shea's.  Supposedly they have orchestra seats and balcony seats.  Anyone ever been there?  Any good? Anyone know anyone who can get me great seats?...haha

Thanks,

Jeff

515941[/snapback]

I am a huge "old" Genesis fan too and wish I could go see the show. There are lots of strong rumours that Genesis with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett will be reuniting for a tour this year.

I am one of those people whose musical tastes are just stuck in the past.  There is a lot of new music which I find ok, some very good, but I am stuck on 70's and 80's music.  Not just the popular hits of the time, but the bands themselves.

So, I am going to see a band called "The Musical Box" at Shea's Peforming Arts Center, Friday at 8:00 pm.  They do old Gabriel Genesis and tickets are $37.50.  $37.50??? Well, screw it, I'm going with a buddy of mine who shares my musical taste.  The opportunity to see this music performed live doesn't come around too often, so I guess I got to grab the opportunity as I love that music.  Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is my all time favorite album.  I know every word, every drum beat.  Lame? OK, I admit it.  A buddy of mine who lives in Cleveland saw them last month and said they were unbelievable.

Thanks,

Jeff

515941[/snapback]

I bet they're good.

Here's a little Genesis trivia......

The Cheers character Lillith was based on the song "Lillywhite Lillith".

You ain't stuck man. You know what you like and shouldn't have to change for any reason. I still listen to new stuff but nothing makes me happier than old AC/DC, Priest, Maiden, Nugent, etc. I only hope that the people listening to stuff today get the same joy from thier generation's music that I STILL get from mine.

Oh, and I dig 3 Doors Down.

I bet they're good.

Here's a little Genesis trivia......

The Cheers character Lillith was based on the song "Lillywhite Lillith".

516086[/snapback]

Really? Where did you hear this from? Neat.

James Burrows, Glen Charles, and Les Charles took it from that song (Lilywhite Lilith)?

I thought Lilith was the "first" wife of Adam. I thought that Charles and Burrows would have gleaned it right out Gen 2:18 and the Jewish legend that surrounds it?

??

Here is a tidbit that I pulled up... Seemed that Adam had to "return" his "first" wife. I am so glad God took returns and just didn't say "caveat emptor." :doh:

"The angles who are in charge of medicine: Snvi, Snsvi, and Smnglof. After God created Adam, who was alone, He said, 'It is not good for man to be alone' (Gen. 2:18). He then created a woman for Adam, from the earth, as He had created Adam himself, and called her Lilith. Adam and Lilith began to fight. She said, 'I will not lie below,' and he said, 'I will not lie beneath you, but only on top. For you are fit only to be in the bottom position, while am to be in the superior one.' Lilith responded, 'We are equal to each other inasmuch as we were both created from the earth.' But they would not listen to one another. When Lilith saw this, she pronounced the Ineffable Name and flew away into the air. Adam stood in prayer before his Creator: 'Sovereign of the universe!' he said, 'the woman you gave me has run away.' At once, the Holy One, blessed be He, sent these three angles to bring her back.

:doh::angry:

Really?  Where did you hear this from?  Neat.

James Burrows, Glen Charles, and Les Charles took it from that song (Lilywhite Lilith)?

I thought Lilith was the "first" wife of Adam.  I thought that Charles and Burrows would have gleaned it right out Gen 2:18 and the Jewish legend that surrounds it?

??

516101[/snapback]

I know more about Genesis the group than I do about the Cheers guys or Genesis from the Bible. I read an article a long time ago. It was back when she was first introduced to the show. It was with one of the prominent writers, probably one of the three you mention.

If you can dig up the lyrics for the song it is actually pretty obvious. In the article he even stated that the lyrics give some foreshadowing for the direction of the show. You'll see that too, or at least you should. It's actually very cool and more planning than you'd expect from a sitcom.

Here you go:

The chamber was in confusion - all the voices shouting loud.

I could only just hear, a voice quite near say, "Please help me

through the crowd"

'Said if I helped her thru' she could help me too, but I could

see that she was wholly blind.

But from her pale face and her pale skin, a moonlight shined.

Lilywhite Lilith,

She gonna take you thru' the tunnel of night

Lilywhite Lilith,

She gonna lead you right.

When I'd led her through the people, the angry noise began to grow.

She said "Let me feel the way the breezes blow, and I'll show

you where to go."

So I followed her into a big round cave, she said "They're

coming for you, now don't be afraid."

Then she sat me down on a cold stone throne, carved in jade.

Lilywhite Lilith,

She gonna take you thru' the tunnel of night.

Lilywhite Lilith,

She gonna lead you right.

She leaves me in my darkness,

I have to face, face my fear,

And the darkness closes in on me,

I can hear a whirring sound growing near.

I can see the corner of the tunnel,

Lit up by whatever's coming here.

Two golden globes float into the room

And a blaze of white light fills the air.

I know more about Genesis the group than I do about the Cheers guys or Genesis from the Bible.  I read an article a long time ago.  It was back when she was first introduced to the show.  It was with one of the prominent writers, probably one of the three you mention. 

If you can dig up the lyrics for the song it is actually pretty obvious.  In the article he even stated that the lyrics give some foreshadowing for the direction of the show.  You'll see that too, or at least you should.  It's actually very cool and more planning than you'd expect from a sitcom.

Here you go:

516106[/snapback]

Cool! Thanks 'crayonz!

You ain't stuck man.  You know what you like and shouldn't have to change for any reason.  I still listen to new stuff but nothing makes me happier than old AC/DC, Priest, Maiden, Nugent, etc.  I only hope that the people listening to stuff today get the same joy from their generation's music that I STILL get from mine.

516099[/snapback]

Amen. My feelings exactly.

Thanks,

Jeff

515941[/snapback]

That sounds like it would be neat. I'm a huge fan of Peter Gabriel.

Cool!  Thanks 'crayonz!

516112[/snapback]

The first part about her pale skin and the anger of the other characters is obvious. Did you see the foreshadowing the same way I did?

She led him to the throne carved from jade.

Jade/Emerald city of Seattle. Pretty cool. Their breakup led to his move, which had already been planned by the writers evidently.

The even more subtle part comes from the last two lines of the song:

If you watch certain episodes of Frasier there are two globe like decorations above the fridge in his kitchen. They are suspisciously not in every episode and even when they are there you have to look closely sometimes. It's a stretch but I think the blaze of white light is when the fridge opens. Why else would they put the decorations in the kitchen? They could have just as easily put them behind the dad's chair or near the entrance way.

That sounds like it would be neat.  I'm a huge fan of Peter Gabriel.

516144[/snapback]

One of my favorite PG tunes is Here Comes the Flood. I prefer the "accoustic" (piano only) versions on his greatest hits album and the version on Robert Fripps solo album Exposure.

it should be a great show, the sheas is awesome, there was also a damn fine Gabriel/Genesis cover band that hit the buffalo circuit years ago called Over The Garden Wall. 37.50 is very steep, but it will probably be awesome. please give us a review

Thanks,

Jeff

515941[/snapback]

One of my favorite PG tunes is Here Comes the Flood. I prefer the "accoustic" (piano only) versions on his greatest hits album and the version on Robert Fripps solo album Exposure.

516225[/snapback]

Yeah, that's a great song. I also really like "Don't give up." I have one of his greatest hits CDs called "Shaking the Tree." Every song on that CD is cool. I never get tired of listening to it.

Yeah, that's a great song.  I also really like "Don't give up."  I have one of his greatest hits CDs called "Shaking the Tree."  Every song on that CD is cool.  I never get tired of listening to it.

516919[/snapback]

Interestingly the women he duets with on Don't Give Up, Kate Bush, just put out a new double album...her first in about 10 years. KB also sings the backup on Games Without Frontiers...Jeux sans frontieres.

I found the video for Don't give Up on PG website.

Me too. They played a lot in Buffalo. There was another Syracuse area band that played similar music...Mr. Ed that my friends and I would always see when they came to town.

516634[/snapback]

Remeber going to see a Genesis cover band named Pegasus at McVans several times in the early 80s. Been a long time, but I was at Sheas for the U2 concert in 83 or 84, thought that was the last "rock" concert they allowed in there.

BTW, guy that works for me has also heard alot about the reunion tour fwiw

I heard the Phil actually said he would gladly move predominantly to the drums and let Gabriel take center stage...I am getting goosebumps just thinking about it, and hives thinking about the ticket prices

Remeber going to see a Genesis cover band named Pegasus at McVans several times in the early 80s. Been a long time, but I was at Sheas for the U2 concert in 83 or 84, thought that was the last "rock" concert they allowed in there.

517093[/snapback]

517093[/snapback]

No, they've had rock shows in there since, but they did reinforce the balcony after the U2 show. It's a good thing they did too because they stopped an INXS show there mid-encore because the balcony was "boucing" a couple of years after the U2 show.

I used to go see a similar band called "Over The Garden Wall" at the Penny Arcade.  They were an amazing Canadian Genesis tribute band that concentrated on the PG era. 

Never had to pay $37.50 tho :D

516080[/snapback]

Holy crap...loved OTGW! Saw them at the Arcade several times, always around this time of year when I was home for T-Giving/holidays. I'm thinking the last time I saw them was about ten years ago though...(or when I came up for a playoff game :D )

And yes, they were great...jeeziz, haven't thought about them in a loooooong time, wonder if they're still around?

Another great cover band/act at the Arcade was Rob Levesque (sp?) who used to do great Howard Jones/Genesis/Phil Collins/etc

No, they've had rock shows in there since, but they did reinforce the balcony after the U2 show.  It's a good thing they did too because they stopped an INXS show there mid-encore because the balcony was "boucing" a couple of years after the U2 show.

517107[/snapback]

Bouncing to INXS, hmmmm...

Dam, that U2 concert was great. Was in town for either Thanksgiving or Christmas i think, or some holiday, and walked up and bought tickets.

I heard the Phil actually said he would gladly move predominantly to the drums and let Gabriel take center stage...I am getting goosebumps just thinking about it, and hives thinking about the ticket prices

517098[/snapback]

I will be there also...if Steve Hackett returns as well. God that would be a great concert.

Interestingly the women he duets with on Don't Give Up, Kate Bush, just put out a new double album...her first in about 10 years. KB also sings the backup on Games Without Frontiers...Jeux sans frontieres.

I found the video for Don't give Up on PG website.

517090[/snapback]

Thank you, I couldn't remember her name when I posted earlier. 0:) I didn't know that she sang back up on Games w/o Frontiers....interesting. I'll have to look for that CD of Kate's...might be pretty good. Is it a greatest hits CD? I only own that one PG CD that i mentioned earlier. Are there any other PG CDs that you'd recommend getting? I'm looking to get more of his music. I know's he's got a few CDs out there.

Holy crap...loved OTGW!  Saw them at the Arcade several times, always around this time of year when I was home for T-Giving/holidays.  I'm thinking the last time I saw them was about ten years ago though...(or when I came up for a playoff game  0:) )

And yes, they were great...jeeziz, haven't thought about them in a loooooong time, wonder if they're still around?

517110[/snapback]

http://www.robbiecooper.net/secondsout.html

I've actally been reading a lot about Genesis lately. I got into the band in their later years, sicne I'm only 28 thats the era I know of them. I'm looking for some old Genesis CDs to buy, can you guys recomend any? Should I get a best of a box set, or go out and buy individual albums?

The first part about her pale skin and the anger of the other characters is obvious.  Did you see the foreshadowing the same way I did?

She led him to the throne carved from jade.

Jade/Emerald city of Seattle.  Pretty cool.  Their breakup led to his move, which had already been planned by the writers evidently. 

The even more subtle part comes from the last two lines of the song:

If you watch certain episodes of Frasier there are two globe like decorations above the fridge in his kitchen.  They are suspisciously not in every episode and even when they are there you have to look closely sometimes.  It's a stretch but I think the blaze of white light is when the fridge opens.  Why else would they put the decorations in the kitchen?  They could have just as easily put them behind the dad's chair or near the entrance way.

516217[/snapback]

A Genesis-Frasier connection, who would have ever thought?!

I've actally been reading a lot about Genesis lately.  I got into the band in their later years, sicne I'm only 28 thats the era I know of them.  I'm looking for some old Genesis CDs to buy, can you guys recomend any?  Should I get a best of a box set, or go out and buy individual albums?

517799[/snapback]

I would suggest any cd with both Gabriel and Hackett, 'Nursery Cryme', 'Foxtrot' 'Selling England by the Puound', and 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' - these were the best.

The 2 cd's after Gabriel left - 'Trick of the Tail' and 'Wind and Wuthering' still had Hackett on them and they are still very good. Avoid any cd after Hackett - from 'And Then There Were Three' forward.

Stay away from any boxset - they are tilted more towards the Phil Collins drivel.

I've actally been reading a lot about Genesis lately.  I got into the band in their later years, sicne I'm only 28 thats the era I know of them.  I'm looking for some old Genesis CDs to buy, can you guys recomend any?  Should I get a best of a box set, or go out and buy individual albums?

517799[/snapback]

I would suggest that you get "Seconds Out", a double live CD. It has Phil Collins singing, but it is when he first took over for Peter Gabriel so a bunch of songs that Gabriel sung are on the CD.

Since you are used to Phil Collins singing in the later Genesis years, it might be too much to go to the beginning with Gabriel. People who have gone backwards with Genesis (they like the new stuff and decide to explore their work going back) sometimes don't "get" the old Gabriel stuff right away. "Seconds Out" is a good buffer, you can go backwards from there if you like it.

That's what I recommend for ya.

Jeff

PS If you do decide to go back, the "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" is sung by Gabriel (double CD) and drummed by Phil Collins and is my fav album of all time. And if you never realized what a phenomenal drummer Phil Collins is, anything pre-Abacab in my opinion is fantastic. Chester Thompson drums live on Seconds Out, but you can hear when Phil Collins stops singing in a song, runs back, and the two drummers drum together. (On the song "Cinema Show", Bill Bruford is the live drummer).

517799[/snapback]

For old, old Genesis I would reccomend the Album Foxtrot. It has the classic, epic song Suppers Ready which takes all of side 2. Many old time Genesis fans consider Supers Ready the best Genesis tune of all time. I personally like the album Selling England by the Pound. Tony Banks piano intro to Firth of Fith is magnificent. Genesis reached their artist peak with the concept album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway-Gabriels last album with the band and a must listen for anybody who is interested in the older version of the band.

Thanks,

Jeff

515941[/snapback]

I have seen the Musical box twice before in Philly and am going on Sat Dec 10th. If you are a Genesis fan of that era it is a must see concert.

Thank you, I couldn't remember her name when I posted earlier.  :devil:  I didn't know that she sang back up on Games w/o Frontiers....interesting.  I'll have to look for that CD of Kate's...might be pretty good.  Is it a greatest hits CD?  I only own that one PG CD that  i mentioned earlier.  Are there any other PG CDs that you'd recommend getting?  I'm looking to get more of his music.  I know's he's got a few CDs out there.

517489[/snapback]

I would reccomend Peter Gabriel 3. It has the songs Biko, Games without Frontiers, and I don't Rememeber. His album So was his biggest seller I believe and proably contains his most accessible music including the songs Dont' Give Up, Red Rain, In your Eyes, and Sledgehammer.

I would reccomend Peter Gabriel 3. It has the songs Biko, Games without Frontiers, and I don't Rememeber. His album So was his biggest seller I believe and proably contains his most accessible music including the songs Dont' Give Up, Red Rain, In your Eyes, and Sledgehammer.

518189[/snapback]

Cool, thanks!