Angelo Crowell is a player

Mikie2times

Crowell was a beast today, and has really started to develop into a fine OLB. I decided to compare Angelo's stat line to that of TKO's 2004 pro bowl campaign; I think it will really surprise some to see the results.

Projecting Crowell’s current stats over 16 games his line would look like this

112 Tackles

76 Solo

36 Assist

6 Sacks

2 Forced Fumbles

4 INT

6 Passes defended

TKO's 2004 line

99 Tackles

64 Solo

35 Assist

3 Sacks

3 Forced Fumbles

5 INT

17 Passes defended

2 TD's

The point of this is not to say Angelo is playing at TKO's level, because TKO is simply a game changing defender, and one of the best coverage LB's in the NFL. But this first year starter is surpassing TKO's outstanding 2004 season in many areas, and I think it's safe to say he will be a big part of our future.

Also while people have many legitimate beefs with TD we should take a step back and look at the draft we had in 2003. Our first four picks that year included Willis, Kelsey, Crowell, and Magee. That's a pretty sick draft and certainly one of the best that year.

Crowell had quite a good game yesterday, especially and obviously his INT and sack, not to mention the monster hit he put on Dante Hall on special teams, but his tackles this year and yesterday have been 6-10 yards off the LOS on many or most of the plays. That is not necessarily a good play other than to say it wasn't 8-12 yards off the LOS. He is getting better and could be a good player, he obviously has good hands, good speed and some big play ability.

you should not project sacks or INTs.

but he has done a very good job. i hope next season, when Spikes is back, we can cut Posey and move Crowell over to the other side.

when he was drafted, the one thing everyone said about him was that he was a tackleing machine.

im glad he has this oportunity to show what he can do.

Crowell has done a good job by any standard.  When it's all said and done, the defensive problems the Bills have experienced this season are not due to his play.

502420[/snapback]

did yall notice our DTs actually hitting the RBs? i was very surprised. yeah, they did seem to always pickup 3, or 5, or 9 yards a carry. but our DTs played better than thay have all season. (not great, just better).

i just had to give them some credit. (even though we know we will be signing 2 FA DTs).

Crowell was a beast today, and has really started to develop into a fine OLB.  I decided to compare Angelo's stat line to that of TKO's 2004 pro bowl campaign; I think it will really surprise some to see the results.

502347[/snapback]

Another great post, Mike. I always like reading your stats-driven posts.

I think he may replace TKO when TKO comes back. Coming back from an achillies is no easy thing. If TKO loses even 5% of his speed, sad to say, but at the NFL level he's nothing.

Personally speaking after tearing mine, I never went to the pro bowl again. Prior to that I was able to get tickets one year!

Do you think Crowell will replace Posey next year when TKO comes back?

502389[/snapback]

Do you think Crowell will replace Posey next year when TKO comes back?

502389[/snapback]

I think he will be but I still don't see Posey going anywhere next season. To many question marks surround TKO's comeback, and Posey remains serviceable, and somebody we might need if TKO can't return to the player he was.

Crowell was a beast today, and has really started to develop into a fine OLB.  I decided to compare Angelo's stat line to that of TKO's 2004 pro bowl campaign; I think it will really surprise some to see the results.

Projecting Crowell’s current stats over 16 games his line would look like this

112 Tackles 

76 Solo 

36 Assist   

6 Sacks

2 Forced Fumbles

4 INT

6 Passes defended

TKO's 2004 line

99 Tackles

64 Solo

35 Assist

3 Sacks

3 Forced Fumbles

5 INT

17 Passes defended

2 TD's

The point of this is not to say Angelo is playing at TKO's level, because TKO is simply a game changing defender, and one of the best coverage LB's in the NFL. But this first year starter is surpassing TKO's outstanding 2004 season in many areas, and I think it's safe to say he will be a big part of our future.

Also while people have many legitimate beefs with TD we should take a step back and look at the draft we had in 2003. Our first four picks that year included Willis, Kelsey, Crowell, and Magee. That's a pretty sick draft and certainly one of the best that year.

502347[/snapback]

Good Post, but why did it take this coaching staff 3 years to discover this guy? He made more plays yesterday than Jeff Posey did in 2 or 3 years with this team. Another guy a like is Rashad Baker, another guy that is always around the ball.

Good Post, but why did it take this coaching staff 3 years to discover this guy? He made more plays yesterday than Jeff Posey did in 2 or 3 years with this team. Another guy a like is Rashad Baker, another guy that is always around the ball.

502751[/snapback]

It's really very simple. It's because guys like that aren't always good right away. Especially guys drafted in the mid rounds and late rounds. They are constantly learning technique things in practice with their position coaches, learning how to interpret game film, developing their strength and conditioning, and watching and learning from the players ahead of them on the depth chart. Crowell was very average to below average as a player for atleast his first season and possibly his second as I saw it. Boy has he stepped it up!

It's really very simple. It's because guys like that aren't always good right away. Especially guys drafted in the mid rounds and late rounds. They are constantly learning technique things in practice with their position coaches, learning how to interpret game film, developing their strength and conditioning, and watching and learning from the players ahead of them on the depth chart. Crowell was very average to below average as a player for atleast his first season and possibly his second as I saw it. Boy has he stepped it up!

502790[/snapback]

playing with TKO, lodon, posey and so on is a big plus to a guy like crowell

he came in with raw tools and learned the game as well as the confidence and high expectations of himself to perform.

i think moulds has rubbed that off on evans and all of our secondary feel that way.

It's really very simple.

502790[/snapback]

I disagree to some extent. There is no education like playing. Case in point, this years Sports Illustrated NFL preview edition contained an opposing scouts take on each team. For the Bills, the scout's take was "If Jason Peters ever makes it to the starting line-up they will have a hard time taking him out." How in the hell did this guy know before our own coaching staff? I feel it might be a situation where the front office still distrusts young players or some political jockeying, which is not case at some winning programs in this league.

I disagree to some extent. There is no education like playing. Case in point, this years Sports Illustrated NFL preview edition contained an opposing scouts take on each team. For the Bills, the scout's take was "If Jason Peters ever makes it to the starting line-up they will have a hard time taking him out." How in the hell did this guy know before our own coaching staff? I feel it might be a situation where the front office still distrusts young players or some political jockeying, which is not case at some winning programs in this league.

502836[/snapback]

You appear to (I admit I could be way off-base here) have a pre-determined "Axe to grind" with this staff so I'm not sure I can realistically get the point across but I'll still tell you that it's a very common occurence throughout the league to have to develop some of your players. Again, I have watched Crowell closely and in year 1 he absolutely sucked. And regrading the Peters reference, the "if Jason Peters ever makes it to the starting lineup" part was likely reference to him learning how to play the position, something he did not have going for him until very recently.