Reviewed some game films

bills_fan

The answer is NOT on our roster. The talent we've got has already managed to decimate our LB corp and give up season and career performances to opposing RBs; the trading deadline has passed and it would seem that short of enticing someone out of retirement, "hopeless case" would be a fitting synopsis. We do not, nor have we had at any time this season, NFL quality starters and depth at DT.

487286[/snapback]

What are you talking about? We have Anderson, Sape, and Bannan. What more could you ask for?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your review.....

It pretty much decides our #1 pick next year in my opinion.......

487104[/snapback]

Just curious ... does anyone think there is a run-stuffing DT who will be available in next year's draft who could come in and fill that role as a starter in 2006?

GO BILLS!

I generally agree with your summary (great post, by the way!), but it looked to me like a huge difference in the TB game was that Fletcher went out in the second quarter, and was replaced by Crowell, who was dinged up and wasn't even active week 1 vs. Houston.  It looked to me like we suffered from a lack of "gap discipline" (and heat exhaustion) in that game, with Crowell hitting his gap hard, but forgetting to look for the runner (running right past the runner a couple times).  I do agree that Edwards was also abused in that game, most getting twisted perpendicular to the line of scrimmage by a single blocker.

487150[/snapback]

To me it is less about the specific player in Pat Williams but rather the TYPE of player that now mans that spot....

In a good defense.....you have layers of defense.....if this guy misses him then the next layer get him.....you dont see these layers in the course of a game unless you break down the film. In a good system.....you have less chance of a breakdown because a lot of bad things have to happen in order to get a breakaway from a RB.

In our defense....everthing has to go RIGHT in order to get a good run stop.

FFS - You're right, I should clarify, PW faced most of the doubles in 04, and yes many of them were chips, but it still allowed the LB/S to fill the hole quicker and PW actually succeeded in slowing down the blockers on several occassions. SA has been getting chipped on running plays in 05, tho not at the rate that PW was getting blocked.

As for the actual plays, and remember I reviewed 3 games from 04...

Versus Seattle, In the first half PW was on the field for all 1st down plays and any 2nd down plays where Sea had less than 6 yards to go for a first. He rarely played on 3rd down, 1 3rd and short play. PW rarely played the second half against Seattle (we were up 24-3) and only came in as part of a basic rotation on 1st down. When he did play with the limited snaps, he was effective, recovering a fumble and stopping Alexander once.

Versus NYJ, PW played most first and second downs. Again, 6 yards was the cut. RE was brought in on 3rd downs and 2nd and short.

Versus Baltimore, PW played more of the game than I have ever seen. Remember our D held Bal to 160 Total Yards, PW was in on 1,2,3 downs and rarely was spelled. He missed 2 1st down plays and 3 2nd down plays the entire game. This could be the reason Lewis got us by the 4th quarter, where he had most of his yards. Boller didn't complete a pass in the 2nd half and PW helped shut down the run till the bitter end.

I did not have a chance to review the Miami game, where Edwards played in the base. Essentially RE was part of our nickel and dime D's last year. After the Miami game, PW was the guy who was sent to the bench so Sam could play on 3rd down. It worked out pretty well.

Finally, Merlin, check out the link for Watson, a huge run-stuffing DT out of Michigan.

I think the only option at this point regarding point of attack vs. running plays is going to be to keep the linebackers at home more often, as to allow for atleast a chance to make the stop in the hole, as opposed to high risk/reward blitzes that leave gaping holes in the wake of the blitzers. There really are no options at DT, so to me this is the logical 2nd choice.

Here's a possible solution to our DT woes...

Benny Anderson is BIG. He's a liability at guard so why not try him out as a run-stuffing DT? All he has to do is run-block a center and a guard and just having his girth in position is going to make the opposing O-line's life more difficult. He can pretend that the ball-carrier is a rusher and, unlike on offense, it'll be okay for him to hold (tackle)!

Here's a possible solution to our DT woes...

Benny Anderson is BIG. He's a liability at guard so why not try him out as a run-stuffing DT? All he has to do is run-block a center and a guard and just having his girth in position is going to make the opposing O-line's life more difficult. He can pretend that the ball-carrier is a rusher and, unlike on offense, it'll be okay for him to hold (tackle)!

487354[/snapback]

heh... i wonder if the coaches would ever do that?

Great research, bills_fan! My only dissent is that your selection of games doesn't account for the times when our D got absolutely raped. If you - or anyone else - were to look at those games, my best guess is you'll find that the lack of consistent pass rush generated from Kelsay and Schobel puts way too much strain on the LB's and DB's, which causes the entire unit to collapse against the smarter/better offenses of the league who can pick up our blitz packages.

So in other words, we may be more than just a run-stopping DT away from a top defense again. We may also need 1-2 solid pass-rushers at DE.

And a healthy Spikes would definitely help.

As would a replacement for Posey.

And a younger safety tandem.

Oh, and a more innovative DC wouldn't hurt, either  :doh: .

487252[/snapback]

Actually Kelso.....I dont agree with this take (but respect your opinion of course)

These are the same group of players at LB, DE, DB, S from one of the best defenses last year......if we could shut down the run......Dennesay, Scrhobel, Fletcher etc etc would look great again.....

We are bleeding like a stuck irish pig

I with you on this John, I think a real run stuffer sets everything up. It would keep OL off the small fast LBs & S's, allowing them the freedom to make plays virtually unimpeded. I do think Milloy has lost a step, but nothing too drastic. A run stuffer would make everyone around them better.

Tom Donahoe isnt going to like the smarmy tone of these posts, ya know. Its like you guys have been watching football for 40 years before he arrived.

Listen, Defensive-whatever-they-are's-- those guys near the football-- they dont put butts in the seats! DUH!

You want sell-outs? You wanna move some season tickets? You need to get the sexy picks, ok? Draft someone controversial, create a buzz...Sheesh. You poor acorns.

Now, any so-called defect in the defense can be masked with BLITZING! And we have just the DC for that!

Now blitzing, thats SEXY! I wish we would blitz with reckless abandon on every play!

oh, wait...

GG, I don't know what scheme Minny is playing.  I haven't seen them all year.  I just know that PW was the right player for our system and the way we played last year.  Running the same system with the only difference being RE (thats why I only looked at TB and Atl, wanted to see us with TKO), yielded vastly different results.

The essential reason was the xtra blocker PW tied up while still maintaining his ground.

487147[/snapback]

I just wish they'd reign in Adams. Sure, the strength of his game is shooting the gap quickly and disrupting the play, but given what has occurred this year they need to change the scheme and make him responsible for two gaps and hold up a few lineman at the point of attack. The guy has the body and the strength for it. I recall last year when they made him do this he complained about it saying that they weren't utilizing his talents. That may be true, but this D needs a guy to clog the middle and Anderson isn't getting it done.

Wow - if you haven't already, go listen to today' interview with London Fletcher at bb.com - they try to ask him what the problem is against the run. He admits that he's getting tied up by linemen at the second level "all of the time" now, but refuses to anwer whether it's losing Pat Williams or the scheme that's the problem - very interesting.

Wow - if you haven't already, go listen to today' interview with London Fletcher at bb.com - they try to ask him what the problem is against the run.  He admits that he's getting tied up by linemen at the second level "all of the time" now, but refuses to anwer whether it's losing Pat Williams or the scheme that's the problem - very interesting.

487554[/snapback]

Seriously, what is he going to say? I don't like political correctness or disingenuousness as much as anyone but if he says it's because of Pat Williams everyone is going to jump all over his bosses for not resigning PW and he's going to look bad to them. If he says it's the production of the DTs he's going to get his teammates all over him plus his bosses for not getting better players. if he says it's the scheme he's going to get his coaches and bosses after him. Sometimes people simply can't say the truth in or out of public because they just can't. It's obvious that both (or all three) are true and factors. You cannot expect Fletcher to come out and say that matter of factly.

Great football discussion here.

Though I am not adept at diagnosing the "nuts and bolts" as some, it seems clear that everyone agrees that the PW departure has spelled disaster. What can JG really do with the talent on the roster now (besides become real religious real fast)? I don't think the players are being very disciplined parlty because the schemes are high risk, and do not play into the "natural strength" of the players...

If I were JG I would start to correct this in the film room, first by admitting to the players we miss PW....