ouchie...some people a little thin skinned

Adam

Schoop is supposedly a member of Mensa. For someone allegedly so smart, the best he can do is a $20,000 a year gig on a crap sports station in Buffalo?  I think he hates it in Buffalo so much but has no talent to move up to a bigger market. (Weekend overnights on ESPN Radio once in awhile doesn't cut it). That and his overwhelming lack of sports knowledge. His disdain for Buffalo and it's sports fans shows through on his show these days as he rips on people and talks down to caller after caller. I think if he hates it here so much he should GET OUT OF TOWN. He thinks people that vote in internet polls and spend time on message boards have an IQ of less than 50? There you go. Looking down on people not as smart as he thinks he is. The 6 people that listen to his show should find something better to do - like vote in internet polls and spend time on message boards.

474784[/snapback]

Not to mention that WGR is always pimping their web polls.

I think the clincher for me is that even the Bulldog, who at first pooh-poohed the idea along with a vehement Schopp, admitted that callers who dialed up the post game show were correct in saying Mularky should have taken a safety and the free kick rather than punt from his own 5 (with a 6 pt lead) late in the 4th quarter. Schopp continued to hold that it was silly, but now he's saying that "it's too small a thing to matter", (which is a far cry from the response that the caller got on Sunday). I mean, geez. Is it so impossible to admit that a caller may have been right and you may have been wrong?

I also like how he makes fun of a caller's point, then has 3 or 4 callers in a row who agree with said point. Of course he explains those anomalies away by saying "this is the worst segment of calls..." among other things to avoid actually thinking about the issue at hand critically.

At any rate, I still listen. I love sports, and it's all I've got in my car going to and from work.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shall we change the title of this to be more clear and pin it, to let people know that WGR does not want people who use message boards to listen to their station?

474491[/snapback]

I second that!

Believe me; I know a LOT of morons who are members of Mensa. Being a member of Mensa anymore means no more than being accepted into the Who's Who in American High School Students.

475000[/snapback]

The thing about Mensa is: if you really are that smart, why do you have to tell people you are? Shouldn't your words and actions let the people around you know whether or not you are intelligent? Oh, silly me. I forgot that saying "I'm in Mensa" provide the words that let people know you're smart and that holding up a piece of paper that says "I'm smart" is the action that lets people around you know you're smart. :)

The thing about Mensa is: if you really are that smart, why do you have to tell people you are?  Shouldn't your words and actions let the people around you know whether or not you are intelligent?  Oh, silly me.  I forgot that saying "I'm in Mensa" provide the words that let people know you're smart and that holding up a piece of paper that says "I'm smart" is the action that lets people around you know you're smart. :)

475004[/snapback]

I agree. The need to display one's intelligence via a third party seems a bit drastic to me. One of my former employees was a member of Mensa and he had the spelling and grammatical capabilities of a two-year-old.

The humorous thing is that, about a year or so ago, we did a few threads where everyone listed their occupations, the cities where they lived, and to a point their salaries. The interesting part of those threads was that the internet message board user on TBD seemed to be an upper middle class, successful, white collar worker, originally from Buffalo, but who has since moved away chiefly due to career opportunities. The person takes a bit of time each day to follow the Bills and gradually became part of a community here at TBD.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that the internet message boards user here on TBD can run circles around Mike Schoop with their eyes closed, in a professional sense, a financial sense and in a cognitive abilities sense. Sure, we have knee-jerk reactions and its not always pleasant, but all-in-all, Mike Schoop can't shine our shoes. :)

Well if he is ripping on people posting on these message boards, then I agree with him 1000%

I think there are too many internet forum posting Bills fans that are nothing more then complaining whiney school girls, and that's actually being unfair comparing  towards complaining whiney school girls

I

474382[/snapback]

Of course you aren't including yourself in this group? Are you?

Judging by the car ive seen him bouncing around town in im gonna guess that Mike Schoop makes quite a bit more than $20,000

His show does wear on me though at times.

475374[/snapback]

I think he mentioned on the radio, something about a Lexus. If so, that car easily costs more then his yearly salary, according to some. <_<

Sometimes WGR can be annoying, but it's the only show in town, and I like having 24 hour sports radio.

I happen to listen to that show quite a bit.......drive time.........it was at it's peak about 6 months ago when Greg Bauch became a big part of the on-air part of it - a really funny, esp. with that announcer immitation he did.

Since the Bills are back, this show is unlistenable - just like I the morning show was with Puff, etc.

Here's the show - Sabres good, Bills bad.............People in the media think that everybody cares about how the media is treated. So, the Sabres are now on GR which makes every move they make great. And, the Bills really don't have anything to do with them, so everything they do is horrible.

Talk about the friggin games and the football - not about how you are treated by the team - nobody friggin cares!!

And, it's you, too, Brad - I heard you go on about it last night. Nobody cares about how you are being treated, but we do care about the team and the games.

Hey Schoop ....you sound just like Dan Rather and Bill Clinton when they were outted

by the online community.........Ah Ah the documents are fake but the story is real?? D.R.

I did not have sex with that women???B.C.

Those damn bloggers, they are morons!!!!!Schoop,Clinton, and Rather

The internet= even playing field , deal with it!!!!

Well, well, well, Schopp complaining about people on football message boards, looks like he's paid us a little visit. Maybe he should stop playing a character on a station playing dress up if he doesn't like what we have to say.

Did he really expect us to be idiots, and parrot his station's company line

474347[/snapback]

WEll..._I DID listen to him recently..and I could have sworn I was listening to William F Buckley. So maybe people should listen to him.

The thing about Mensa is: if you really are that smart, why do you have to tell people you are?  Shouldn't your words and actions let the people around you know whether or not you are intelligent?  Oh, silly me.  I forgot that saying "I'm in Mensa" provide the words that let people know you're smart and that holding up a piece of paper that says "I'm smart" is the action that lets people around you know you're smart. <_<

475004[/snapback]

Its a good way to get laid .--Uhmmm I think

Here's the show - Sabres good, Bills bad.............People in the media think that everybody cares about how the media is treated.  So, the Sabres are now on GR which makes every move they make great.  And, the Bills really don't have anything to do with them, so everything they do is horrible.

Talk about the friggin games and the football - not about how you are treated by the team - nobody friggin cares!!

475419[/snapback]

You just hit the nail on the head. Good job!

Guys and Gals,

I just want to pipe in here. I don't usually post, but I do want to comment on a couple of things. There are some great posts here but also it's important to frame our comments around the way WGR is run.

Coming from the advertising industry, and working with radio, I know for a fact that over the last 10 years or so, there has been a dramatic shift in the power of radio moving from the host to the producer. Thus someone like Mike Shopp (who I went to college with) is now being given marching orders by a producer who is being directed by a station manager on what to say. They have a much shorter leash than 10 years ago. The station manager is given marching order to run a profitable operation.

This is driven by many things..mainly that now radio stations are owned by huge corporations (i.e. Entercom) and they only care about 1 thing...Ad Sales. Ad Sales rates are driven by ratings and IF the station manager and producer say that Mike Shopp's show gets enough ratings to sell ads, they won't change the format.

The second ratings slumps and ad sales fall, you can bet that the format will change. Mike Shopp did not change from a good host to a bad host on his own. It's all about his management and the organization he works for.

He works for a big company and if he does want to move to another market, it's in his best interests to do what his management says. There are very few hosts in the industry who can control the way their shows work.

I live in Boston and WEEI is a great station as one poster noted. They have good hosts, and also supplement their shows with very knowledgeable columnists from the Globe and Herald. Also, it is clear if you listen to the morning show, and the afternoon show, that the hosts are CHARACTERS..they are characters designed to attract their core listening base so they can keep their ad sales up so they can remain profitable. Their mid-day show is a very straight-laced show, with lesser (ie. cheaper talent) because they know they don't make as much in ad sales.

I'm not saying stuff you guys all don't know, but what I'm saying is when we react to a host, more often they are given marching orders to step outside their personality. They sometimes make mistakes and cross the line, but usually what you hear is not what they are really like.

However, based on this feedback (and WGR) really should get a bigger sample set, they might want to tweak the format of the show.

Also, in regards to Sabres vs. Bills, would you expect anything less? They have a business relationship with the Sabres which has direct impact on profitablity and bottom line. They'd be stupid not to hammer them all the time. However, the risk is that if they are completely biased, they lose credibility, and possibly listeners. NESN(TV) in Boston does a good job. They are owned by the Sox and air all the games. Their announcers are knowledgeable and fair, offering criticisms (although soft) when necessary. However, the Sox air on WEEI and they get hammered all the time by the hosts so it can work both ways, but I think that's an anomaly given the passion of Sox Nation.

anyway, sorry for rambling....

What do you say Brad Riter....your on this board....Are YOU a moron?

475247[/snapback]

I'm definitely a moron, but I'm not sure which is the strongest indicator-- my participation on TBD, my employment at WGR, or the helmet I have to wear when I drive my car.

I'm definitely a moron, but I'm not sure which is the strongest indicator--  my participation on TBD, my employment at WGR, or the helmet I have to wear when I drive my car.

475818[/snapback]

:o

I don't care what erynthered says, you're all right. :D I still won't listen to WGR, though.

Guys and Gals,

I just want to pipe in here. I don't usually post, but I do want to comment on a couple of things. There are some great posts here but also it's important to frame our comments around the way WGR is run.

Coming from the advertising industry, and working with radio, I know for a fact that over the last 10 years or so, there has been a dramatic shift in the power of radio moving from the host to the producer.  Thus someone like Mike Shopp (who I went to college with) is now being given marching orders by a producer who is being directed by a station manager on what to say. They have a much shorter leash than 10 years ago.  The station manager is given marching order to run a profitable operation.

This is driven by many things..mainly that now radio stations are owned by huge corporations (i.e. Entercom) and they only care about 1 thing...Ad Sales. Ad Sales rates are driven by ratings and IF the station manager and producer say that Mike Shopp's show gets enough ratings to sell ads, they won't change the format.

The second ratings slumps and ad sales fall, you can bet that the format will change.  Mike Shopp did not change from a good host to a bad host on his own. It's all about his management and the organization he works for.

He works for a big company and if he does want to move to another market, it's in his best interests to do what his management says.  There are very few hosts in the industry who can control the way their shows work.

I live in Boston and WEEI is a great station as one poster noted.  They have good hosts, and also supplement their shows with very knowledgeable columnists from the Globe and Herald.  Also, it is clear if you listen to the morning show, and the afternoon show, that the hosts are CHARACTERS..they are characters designed to attract their core listening base so they can keep their ad sales up so they can remain profitable.  Their mid-day show is a very straight-laced show, with lesser (ie. cheaper talent) because they know they don't make as much in ad sales.

I'm not saying stuff you guys all don't know,  but what I'm saying is when we react to a host, more often they are given marching orders to step outside their personality. They sometimes make mistakes and cross the line, but usually what you hear is not what they are really like.

However, based on this feedback (and WGR) really should get a bigger sample set, they might want to tweak the format of the show.

Also, in regards to Sabres vs. Bills, would you expect anything less? They have a business relationship with the Sabres which has direct impact on profitablity and bottom line.  They'd be stupid not to hammer them all the time.  However, the risk is that if they are completely biased, they lose credibility, and possibly listeners. NESN(TV) in Boston does a good job. They are owned by the Sox and air all the games.  Their announcers are knowledgeable and fair, offering criticisms (although soft) when necessary.  However, the Sox air on WEEI and they get hammered all the time by the hosts so it can work both ways, but I think that's an anomaly given the passion of Sox Nation.

475713[/snapback]

In other works, Shoop has no balls.

There are 3 guys that I can listen to: Howard Simon, Jeremy White, and Brad Riter. If anyone but those 3 are on, WGR is not on my radio.

476057[/snapback]

I'm sure that I would listen to GR a lot more often if they'd move HS to afternoons and let him do the show the way it was on NSA and moved BR to mornings. I can't listen to MS more than about 5 minutes. When I can pick it up, I listen to Fan 590 out of TO.

This is driven by many things..mainly that now radio stations are owned by huge corporations (i.e. Entercom) and they only care about 1 thing...Ad Sales.

475713[/snapback]

One big problem with their logic--with each passing day, radio (except for the actual play-by-play) is becoming more and more irrelevant.

When TSW and boards like this florish, it eliminates the middle man. Who needs a "host" when you can have a community.... :(

I'm definitely a moron, but I'm not sure which is the strongest indicator--  my participation on TBD, my employment at WGR, or the helmet I have to wear when I drive my car.

475818[/snapback]

Brad, you are a funny man. I appreciate your sense of humor as I'm sure most of the people on this board do.

Most of us remember Schopp when he was on 107.7 and he had a completely different approach to Radio. When he first starrted on that station he was knowledgeable and informative. Seldom did you ever hear him combative with the fans who called in. Most of us liked that guy. It seems now that both he and Howard Simon have forgotten what made them so popular in WNY, the fans.

If Schopp would stop acting like his sh-- didn't stink more fans would appreciate his commentary. That's something worth passing along.

TR

Even Alan Pergament of the Buffalo News is on the "bash shopp" bandwagon...

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20051015/1067181.asp

Schopp's act is wearing thin

By ALAN PERGAMENT

10/15/2005

When Mike Schopp started at WNSA-FM with his "sports talk for smart people" slogan, I was a big fan.

He was reasonable, engaging, smart and funny.

But lately at WGR AM-550, the thin-skinned Schopp has lost me with his arrogance, rude treatment of callers and ludicrous statements...

Even Alan Pergament of the Buffalo News is on the "bash shopp" bandwagon...

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20051015/1067181.asp

Schopp's act is wearing thin

By ALAN PERGAMENT

10/15/2005

When Mike Schopp started at WNSA-FM with his "sports talk for smart people" slogan, I was a big fan.

He was reasonable, engaging, smart and funny.

But lately at WGR AM-550, the thin-skinned Schopp has lost me with his arrogance, rude treatment of callers and ludicrous statements...

476479[/snapback]

See ya Mike! :(

You should not talk down to 90% of your callers. It's not much of a show when you do that.

I would guess, like Alan P.'s article suggests, all the gr guys are told what to say by pr andy (who by the way loves the wall) or by gm greg reid. Perhaps mike and the other gr guys, who have said on air how they hate their jobs, are pissed that gr/entercom should have ponied up the money (2.5 million ?) for the rights for the Bills, therefore giving them access to Bills players etc.

It has not helped gr by pissing on/off the Hammer. Karma baby, Karma!!

I would guess, like Alan P.'s article suggests, all the gr guys are told what to say by pr andy (who by the way loves the wall) or by gm greg reid. Perhaps mike and the other gr guys, who have said on air how they hate their jobs, are pissed that gr/entercom should have ponied up the money (2.5 million ?) for the rights for the Bills, therefore giving them access to Bills players etc.

It has not helped gr by pissing on/off the Hammer. Karma baby, Karma!!

476485[/snapback]

Being told what to say or run the show is one thing. The way Mike talks down to his callers is another issue. He talks like he's better than everyone else. I think it's his downfall for sure and it brings the show down with him.