Why the switch was made at QB

The sunday morning local pregame shows were loaded with peoples opinion on why JP was replaced with Holcomb. I believe it was becuase of the records of the rest of the AFC East. Miami was 2-1 and the Pats were 2-2 and the Bills and Jets stood at 1-3. The Bills were not out of the race for first. So the Bills made the switch at QB. I honestly feel if the Pats were 4-0 there would not have been a change. The chance at a division title would have been dismissed and the Bills would have gone with the learning curve excuse and let JP gain valuable playing experience.

Im really torn here. The Dolphins are a bad team and might finish with 5 or 6 wins. The Jets will be around .500 like they are always are and the Pats will around 10-6. Is it better to keep in Holcomb and maybe squeek out 5 or 6 more wins and most likely miss the playoffs or give the ball back to JP and let him get on the job training.

I dont mean to sound like a pessimist but watching the game yesterday there were two teams out there with a long way to go before they challange for a division championship.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont mean to sound like a pessimist but watching the game yesterday there were two teams out there with a long way to go before they challange for a division championship.

471887[/snapback]

I don't know about that. The Bills made an very impressive march to the playoffs last season and looked like one of the top 5 teams in the NFL while doing it. I think this team has the potential to be very good or very bad. It's really a split personality kind of team IMO. Even in yesterdays game they looked like two different teams playing. We have a lot of talented players except on the offensive line. If there was anyway this team can get the right mix going on that line and have it be at least average then I see no reason that this team could get on a roll. I did not support the move to JP, but I was wrong. This team was supercharged yesterday with Holcomb. I'm on board with sticking with Holcomb until he proves he can't get the job done or we get to far removed from the playoff hunt. JP needs to calm down when he eventually gets behind center again. After watching Holcomb, he'll notice how you have to stay cool and not be acting all crazy back there. As much as Holcomb looks wonderful, if JP ever gets to the point where he can relax and be accurate with the ball, he will be much more of a threat than Holcomb is right now.

I think the switch was somewhat due to the fact that JP was the #32 ranked passer in the league.

471899[/snapback]

I agree with the thinking the change was more about making sure the team stayed within reach of the division leaders than it was about JP's individual play.

JP looked like a first year starter behind a weak OL. Holcomb looked like an 11 vet behind a weak OL. He has seen more and was able to make something of it. The 2nd half the line started to crumble. I am afraid the Jets D will bring things back into prespective and that the problem is not with the QB position.

I agree with the thinking the change was more about making sure the team stayed within reach of the division leaders than it was about JP's individual play. 

JP looked like a first year starter behind a weak OL. Holcomb looked like an 11 vet behind a weak OL. He has seen more and was able to make something of it. The 2nd half the line started to crumble. I am afraid the Jets D will bring things back into prespective and that the problem is not with the QB position.

471974[/snapback]

The change was made to appease old veterans like Eric Moulds... EM and

JPL never got on the same page...and also JP might have been looking for

Evans more often.....Moulds is used to being the one looked on by Bledsoe

and Flutie before him....so he bitched about it....and JP also did not do enough

to put the ball in Evans hands to justify the move.

The switch was made because the Bills need more from the QB position than JP is delivering. Now if the defense, ST's, and running game were as good as last year, then JP's performances are likely good enough to squeak out a winning record. However since the entire TEAM has been struggling, the Bills need a QB who can make plays. It was plainly obvious from watching the Bills on their opening 2 drives that Holcomb has a much better grasp of the offense, and that the problems that plagued them later in the game will work themselves out once Holcomb gets more comfortable and some of the injured start to come back.

The change was made to appease old veterans like Eric Moulds... EM and

JPL never got on the same page...and also JP might have been looking for

Evans more often.....Moulds is used to being the one looked on by Bledsoe

and Flutie before him....so he bitched about it....and JP also did not do enough

to put the ball in Evans hands to justify the move.

472124[/snapback]

It wasn't just Moulds. He's just the one who spoke to the media. This move was made because Mularkey was at a pivotal point in his CAREER this week - he faced losing his first team. This cannot be understated - the vets wanted Mularkey to make this change, and he had no real choice. He doesn't have the credibility of Parcells or Belicheck where he could just ignore his vets. This is an older team that was in contention last year, and MM had to go with his players' wishes here. It's the smart play.

The switch was made because 75 yards per game doesn't cut it in the NFL. Holcomb was our best chance at winning this week and the rest of the season for that matter. When and if the Bills are officially eliminated from the playoffs, we'll see JP. He's just too green at this point and this is not a horrible team. It's not like the Bills are SF and switch to Alex Smith because they know that there's no chance at the playoffs. This team has an outside chance make the playoffs with Holcomb, they have no chance with JP.

I am not torn on my feeling at all.....I want to friggen win.

We have missed the playoffs entirely too many times in a row for my taste.....losing can become a habit for teams....

471892[/snapback]

Everybody wants to win. Those of us who want to see Losman take his lumps now just don't believe that this is a playoff contender even with Holcomb at the helm. The game yesterday illustrated this point perfectly. That being said, I hope the Bills prove me wrong and get into the postseason.

Everybody wants to win.  Those of us who want to see Losman take his lumps now just don't believe that this is a playoff contender even with Holcomb at the helm.  The game yesterday illustrated this point perfectly.  That being said, I hope the Bills prove me wrong and get into the postseason.

472147[/snapback]

That is why, most likely, JP will be put back in there once Holcomb and the Bills lose themselves out of contention (which may happen as early as the bye week, if they lose 3 straight). In the meantime, MM had to prove to his vets that he was doing what it took to win.

I posted this last week so I am sorry for the re-peat....(seems to be the requirement on TSW these days)

The move was made because Ralph was tired of watching a team underachieve.

which is why Mularkey was so short tempered with the press last week. He thought he was the man in charge. he thought when he said Losman was going to be the starter that meant no one else in the orgainzation could trump his decision.

He found out what Lou Saban, Chuck Knox, and Wade Phillips all found out at one point or another in their careers. Ralph Wilson is the boss.

And what the boss wants. The boss gets.

The switch was made because the Bills need more from the QB position than JP is delivering.  Now if the defense, ST's, and running game were as good as last year, then JP's performances are likely good enough to squeak out a winning record.  However since the entire TEAM has been struggling, the Bills need a QB who can make plays.  It was plainly obvious from watching the Bills on their opening 2 drives that Holcomb has a much better grasp of the offense, and that the problems that plagued them later in the game will work themselves out once Holcomb gets more comfortable and some of the injured start to come back.

472133[/snapback]

Didn't JP drives up down the field in the 1st qtr of all the games...I don't

understand how you can say that the "problems that plagued them in

the 2nd half" will work out itself....It was the same problem that got

Losman benched...

The real question is, Did the caoching staff do enough to put JPL in a position

to win. The answer is NO....Have they done it with Holocomb...Yes...because

they ran the DAMN ball 31 times.....For crying out loud, they ran the ball

with McGahee 16 times the last time I checked the scoreboard of the game

against the Saints....

The difference was we were playing a horrible Miami team (at least they

played horribly yesterday in the 1st half), that did not have a running QB

who kept drives alive.....like what Vick and Brooks did to us the last two

weeks....

My feeling is put Losman yestereday in, and he would have won the game

for us even more convincingly...

This is an older team that was in contention last year, and MM had to go with his players' wishes here.  It's the smart play.

472137[/snapback]

If that was the intention, then they would have kept Drew Bledsoe.....

Didn't JP drives up down the field in the 1st qtr of all the games...I don't

understand how you can say that the "problems that plagued them in

the 2nd half" will work out itself....It was the same problem that got

Losman benched...

The real  question is, Did the caoching staff do enough to put JPL in a position

to win.  The answer is NO....Have they done it with Holocomb...Yes...because

they ran the DAMN ball 31 times.....For crying out loud, they ran the ball

with McGahee 16 times the last time I checked the scoreboard of the game

against the Saints....

The difference was we were playing a horrible Miami team (at least they

played horribly yesterday in the 1st half), that did not have a running QB

who kept drives alive.....like what Vick and Brooks did to us the last two

weeks....

My feeling is put Losman yestereday in, and he would have won the game

for us even more convincingly...

472165[/snapback]

I have to disagree, with JP we lose the game. It's all defensive game planning. You cuoldn't do as much defensively against Holcomb as you could with JP. Holcomb checked out of some plays and read the blitz nicely. JP just doesn't have the experience to do that yet.

He's just too green at this point and this is not a horrible team.  It's not like the Bills are SF and switch to Alex Smith because they know that there's no chance at the playoffs.  This team has an outside chance make the playoffs with Holcomb, they have no chance with JP.

472141[/snapback]

I beg to differ....This team cannot stop the run nor have the OL provide the

necessary protection.....Holocomb is a immobile QB like a Bledsoe and will

eventually get hurt playing behind this line.....I don't think our playoff chances

improved because of Holcomb stepping in....

I beg to differ....This team cannot stop the run nor have the OL provide the

necessary protection.....Holocomb is a immobile QB like a Bledsoe and will

eventually get hurt playing behind this line.....I don't think our playoff chances

improved because of Holcomb stepping in....

472173[/snapback]

I didn't say they were a great team, but Holcomb does indeed increase out chances of making the playoffs.

The reason the switch was made at QB was that it is four weeks into the season, the Bills had lost two consecutive games that they could/should have won, and the starting QB was not playing well, at all. There is still a division title that looks winnable. Win the division, you make the playoffs. Make the playoffs, anything can happen!

I am not sure how they figure out QB efficency ratings, but I know that a 59.2 rating is pretty bad. Perhaps signing Holcomb as insurance was wise. It looks like JP has lots of raw talent, but the key word is "raw". Maybe he was even more raw than Mularkey and TD anticipated. Is there something wrong with changing coarse, before it is too late, when it is obvious things are not working? I think it is smart...