the real measure for losman

dave mcbride

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/game...lmCa00.htm#2004

he was not great early in the season, but from looking at the stats, it appears that he at least made some plays. 300+ yards against the ravens' D is nothing to sneeze at, even if he had a less than 50% completion rate and threw 3 picks. and he played really well against NE in his final game. basically, he really picked up his game as the season went on.

he's a good guy to measure losman against because he went into a situation with a solid running back and quality receivers. the bills have a better running back and equally good receivers.

i'd really like to see losman throw for 200+ yards against the saints. by the way, the guy replacing bellamy, bullocks, is a second rounder that they're high on. of course, however, he's young and green. he'll be playing free safety, and dwight smith is being moved from free to strong safety.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/game...lmCa00.htm#2004

i'd really like to see losman throw for 200+ yards against the saints.  by the way, the guy replacing bellamy, bullocks, is a second rounder that they're high on. of course, however, he's young and green.  he'll be playing free safety, and dwight smith is being moved from free to strong safety.

458089[/snapback]

I don't really care how many yards he throws for, I'd like to see him complete 55% of his passes and have a YPA in the 6.5 range.

Being in Bengal country, I see a lot of Bengals games as they are always on the big screen at the bar I watch the Bills at. Early on last year, Palmer was making plays and throwing the ball well. However, I think in a few of their early games he made some costly turnovers on "last minute" drives that ended the game. He was hitting recievers and throwing well though. Palmer's early mistakes were the expected "mental" mistakes. What worries me about JP is that he isn't even making throws and he's making mental mistakes. From what I saw last year with Palmer and this year so far with JP, I'd give a big edge to Palmer.

What worries me about JP is that he isn't even making throws and he's making mental mistakes.

458112[/snapback]

Agreed--that's what worries me the most. If JP were gun-slinging and hitting guys, but also throwing picks, I'd almost be happier. Right now, he's not hitting anybody. In part, I think that's because he's too worried about throwing picks and not turning the ball over. He needs to just step back and fire away and stop thinking so much. Though that's a lot to ask of a young QB, I think he needs to get back to playing more loose.

I wish he were like Palmer!

Guys, JP is so inaccurate on the medium and long range throws that he is not a serviceable NFL QB right now. It's almost surprising when he completes a pass over 15 yds downfield. He has to get so much better and hopefully he will.

He is obviously better than he's shown so far.  It will get better.  The guy's only had 3 starts.

458318[/snapback]

What's so obvious about it? I haven't seen him do it in the NFL. Plenty of 1st round QB's had obvious talent but never made it in the NFL.

Not being a wiseass or nothing, but from what I've seen to this point I wouldn't bet the house he's guaranteed to develop into a quality NFL starter, but I'm sure hopeful he will. :devil:

There is no comparison here. Palmer is 100x better than Losman. He was a # 1 pick. Losman was the 4th QB picked in the draft.

458482[/snapback]

You are right in that there is no comparison here. Carson Palmer is Carson Palmer. JP Losman is JP Losman. Two different people. Two different situations. Because JP's numbers do not match Carson's in the first 3 games of their careers doesn't automatically label JP a bust.

It's 3 fuggin' games...get a grip folks.

There is no comparison here. Palmer is 100x better than Losman. He was a # 1 pick. Losman was the 4th QB picked in the draft.

458482[/snapback]

Excellent point, so that means that Leaf should have been excellent and Brady should suck....great idea...moron.

Better yet Couch is therefore the man right? DUMBASS!

Here's to JP being no Leaf or Couch, or for that matter a grabowr or the 4790th person of the draft!

I wish he were like Palmer!

Guys,  JP is so inaccurate on the medium and long range throws that he is not a serviceable NFL QB right now.  It's almost surprising when he completes a pass over 15 yds downfield.  He has to get so much better and hopefully he will.

458284[/snapback]

TRUE--its bizarre how innaccurate he is.Even those 10 yarders to Josh Reed looked like such a big struggle. That and the lack of good instinct out there is what makes the whole thing disturbing...I would MUCH rather have him heave some wild ones down the field and have one or two picked off VS being so damn anal out there. He even bounced a side line pass----Todd Collins style.....

TRUE--its bizarre how innaccurate he is.Even those 10 yarders to Josh Reed looked like such a big struggle. That and the lack of good instinct out there is what makes the whole thing disturbing...I would MUCH rather have him heave some wild ones down the field and have one or two picked off VS being so damn anal out there. He even bounced a side line pass----Todd Collins style.....

458499[/snapback]

I think he has been SOOO innaccurate though-------that it must be nerves/inexperience......it doesnt mean we should give up on him at all. I think he'll figure it out...

This thread is hysterical. JP has only played in 3 games ! Sheesh ! Cut the kid some slack ! He'll be great by next year !

458476[/snapback]

Great huh? Wow, that sure is a tall order.

Other than his running ability, what has he done to indicate greatness, now or ever?

Btw, if he doesn't stop diving head first, he is going to get his bell rung, and I mean it will be ugly.

PS: I hope you are right.

458482[/snapback]

Let's forget Palmer for now. A better comparison would be JP's first 3 starts vs. Heath Shuler's first 3 starts or Akili Smith or Ryan Leaf. Don't get me wrong, I like JP and want him to succeed but he has had two home games to perform so far. Once against the worst team in the league (Houston) and he did fairly well, once against a banged up secondary that he should have shredded (ATL) and he did poorly and once on the road in a hostile environment (predictably bad).

Let's forget Palmer for now.  A better comparison would be JP's first 3 starts vs. Heath Shuler's first 3 starts or Akili Smith or Ryan Leaf.  Don't get me wrong, I like JP and want him to succeed but he has had two home games to perform so far.  Once against the worst team in the league (Houston) and he did fairly well, once against a banged up secondary that he should have shredded (ATL) and he did poorly and once on the road in a hostile environment (predictably bad).

458520[/snapback]

Actually, JP probably shouldn't be compared to anybody based on 3 games. All qbs come with their own unique set of skills.

Leaf and Palmer have the huge arms. JP is smaller than these guys, and more agile.

If, for the sake of fun, comparisons are to be made, I would put JP with guys like Trent Greene or Joe Theisman, or to a lesser degree Hasselbeck in Seattle.

These guys must rely more on being a field general than making the sick throws ala Marino, Elway, or that's right, Bledsoe.

JP seems to have a good enough set of skills to win in the NFL. I hope for our sake that he can put it together because skills aren't everything as Bills fans well know. You know why?

Because I am lucky to have seen 20 qbs in my entire life with a better God-Given set of tools than Rob Johnson, and we know how that turned out. :devil:

You are right in that there is no comparison here.  Carson Palmer is Carson Palmer.  JP Losman is JP Losman.  Two different people.  Two different situations.  Because JP's numbers do not match Carson's in the first 3 games of their careers doesn't automatically label JP a bust. 

It's 3 fuggin' games...get a grip folks.

458493[/snapback]

When Palmer got the starting nod last year, there was indeed a different situation - the B'gals had built a pretty good OL. The Center and Tackles were there, in '03 they had a stroke of good luck as Guard Steinback fell to the 2nd round, and FA Guard Bobbie Williams was picked up in '04. And RB Rudi Johnson started to have a career year.

Put Losman in that situation and I'd think his numbers would be better.

Excellent point, so that means that Leaf should have been excellent and Brady should suck....great idea...moron.

Better yet Couch is therefore the man right? DUMBASS!

Here's to JP being no Leaf or Couch, or for that matter a grabowr or the 4790th person of the draft!

458494[/snapback]

Whatever dude. I was in the twenty something hundreds before changing my username.

You missed my point. 2004 was a strong draft year for QBs and Losman was picked 4th and only because the Bills needed a QB. I think Losman is weak and I don't see him making it in this league. By the way, why do all of you keep referring back to 2 or 3 QBs to support your arguments? Geez. There have been a gazillion busts and booms with QB but all you clowns can think of is Brady, Couch, or Leaf. Give me a break. Why don't you come up with some other examples rather than the obvious.

Great huh? Wow, that sure is a tall order.

Other than his running ability, what has he done to indicate greatness, now or ever?

Btw, if he doesn't stop diving head first, he is going to get his bell rung, and I mean it will be ugly.

PS: I hope you are right.

458515[/snapback]

IT'S THREE MOTHERFARKING GAMES!!

He is obviously better than he's shown so far.  It will get better.  The guy's only had 3 starts.

458318[/snapback]

against, argueably, two of the toughest D's in league. Granted last week Atlanta's secondary was a tad banged up.

Losman will renew our faith this weekend. Bank on it.