the real measure for losman

dave mcbride

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/game...lmCa00.htm#2004

he's a good guy to measure losman against because he went into a situation with a solid running back and quality receivers. the bills have a better running back and equally good receivers. 

458089[/snapback]

One key difference is the OL play....I think the Bengals ahve a better OL

than ours...at least for Pass protection.

Agreed--that's what worries me the most. If JP were gun-slinging and hitting guys, but also throwing picks, I'd almost be happier. Right now, he's not hitting anybody. In part, I think that's because he's too worried about throwing picks and not turning the ball over. He needs to just step back and fire away and stop thinking so much. Though that's a lot to ask of a young QB, I think he needs to get back to playing more loose.

458251[/snapback]

May be the coaching staff needs to let this guy play.....Rather than trying to

be ultra conservative with him...they should let him go and make the throws..

What's so obvious about it?  I haven't seen him do it in the NFL.  Plenty of 1st round QB's had obvious talent but never made it in the NFL. 

Not being a wiseass or nothing, but from what I've seen to this point I wouldn't bet the house he's guaranteed to develop into a quality NFL starter, but I'm sure hopeful he will. :devil:

458345[/snapback]

The one big thing JP showed me last week (when I saw him the 1st time)

was the poise.....He did not show those "Deer in the Headlights" case that

was with RJ or Todd Collins....If this guy gets a line that can pass block and

does not require the TE to be pass blocking all the time....he will make some

plays...

Over the past year, so many of you argued that JP would improve this team if he started. Now, many of you and the Bills are taking a different tack.

I was hoping to win now. Based on what many of you now say, we may as well just treat this year as the year when we are going to sacrifice our previous team goal of advancing to the playoffs and beyond so that one player (JP) can learn how to play the NFL game.

I wanted to go to the playoffs this year. I had hoped that the Bills made the decision to hand control of the offense to a guy (who had no meaningful experience in an NFL regular season game) because they actually thought it would achieve that goal this year.

Either the Bills (and many of you) were wrong about whether JP would improve the team this year or the Bills made the decision for future years.

I disagreed with the Bills decision (and many of you), because I did not think that JP was ready yet. It is the most difficult position in the NFL and perhaps in sports. I like JP and think that he has some talent and is a good guy. Unfortunately, the first three games have shown that he is not ready yet. I would have preferred to keep the other guy (who is now the top rated QB in the NFC) to maximize our chance of success this year, improve our offensive line, and give JP the time that he needs.

Instead, we have no choice but to give JP the on the job training that he needs and consider this a throw away year unless something drastically changes. Having an inexperienced QB and a mediocre (at best) o-line is a recipe for a bad season.

I really hope that JP and the rest of the team can turn it around this year (hopefully beginning this Sunday) so that we can have some meaningful games in December.

TRUE--its bizarre how innaccurate he is.Even those 10 yarders to Josh Reed looked like such a big struggle. That and the lack of good instinct out there is what makes the whole thing disturbing...I would MUCH rather have him heave some wild ones down the field and have one or two picked off VS being so damn anal out there. He even bounced a side line pass----Todd Collins style.....

458499[/snapback]

God...I did not see such comments after week1....Everyone was talking about

what a bomb he threw to Lee Evans...Where did the inaccuracy go then....

The guy is learning to play the game at the NFL level....The Defense and the

OL is not providing him any help....Give him a break.

I hate when people try to compare JPL to Carson Palmer. Doing so is only a slap in the face to Palmer. Losman isn't Palmer, he never was, and he never will be. They came up from two different college programs.

Palmer went to USC where they played NFL-styled football. He was coached by a former NFL coach. They played against other NFL-styled, top tier college programs. Basically, he played with and against a lot of guys that are in the NFL today.

JP went to Tulane, played for a horrible team where he had to scramble his ass off just to win a game against other horrible teams.

Ask any Bengals fan that Palmer's struggles were rookie type struggles where he forced plays and passes he shouldn't have. However, his talent and skill at his position were always visible. You knew he was going to be good.

JP on the other hand, his mistakes are far worse than typical rookie mistakes. Whether or not he has the talent to make good throws isn't the issue. The problem is he lacks awareness on the field. He doesn't know how to read a football field and therefor has no idea what he's doing.

This is probably attributed to him playing sandlot football at Tulane. Young QBs can overcome accuracy and passing issues early in their career, but field awareness is something that will take a long time to learn. He should be on the bench learning the game in practice and from a veteran QB.

Over the past year, so many of you argued that JP would improve this team if he started.  Now, many of you and the Bills are taking a different tack.

458897[/snapback]

Well, a good number here crossed their eyes when he was drafted in the first place. And many pretty much expected a see-saw with the start.

But these days, 1st round qb's seldom ride the bench for two years, although that's where Philip Rivers is.

This argument is silly. It is only three games and we have to give this guy the season before we can say for sure...yeah or nay. When i talk about his inaccuracy though, you have to look around the league. Young guys like Roethlisberger, Eli, Palmer, etc... make downfield throws in tight spaces. You see this all around the league every game. Heck, Brady does it about 20 times a game. Often times you need to sling it in there between the safety and CB or throw a nice rope just over the outstretched arms of a Linebacker. So far we've seen JP throw one nice downfield touch pass to Lee Evans. The only other passes he completes are 10 yard darts to WIDE OPEN slot receivers or a 7 yard roll out pass to an open RB or FB. He seems hesitant to pull the trigger on the NFL caliber passes that he needs to make. Sam Aiken and Josh Reed are not always going to be standing wide open 10 yards down the field for him.

Another thing he needs to work on is his scrambling/buying time. He needs to roll one direction away from the pressure and either throw or make the decision to run and get out of bounds (and take the 5 or 7 yard gain). Too often he is indecisive which way to run and ends up looking like Charlie Brown back there running in circles and sometimes backwards.

One good thing is that JP reminds me a little bit of Drew Brees in his first full season. Brees was pretty marginal those first two years and then suddenly the light went on for him in year three. The only difference is that Brees completed about 60% of his passes even when he was just starting out.

The Saints have a banged up secondary this week. Any decent QB would throw for 200 yds on them in the sterile Alamodome environment. Let's hope JP starts getting it together.