Two mind boggling moves by Mularky

stevestojan

1) Going with a PASS play when pinned against your own goal line. WTF was that? Pound the ball with willis, and if he gets the 1st, great. If not, Moorman gets a little more room.

2) Pulling JP. Anyone who says this is a good move is thinking with their ass. Way to build the rookie's confidence. Then put him BACK in? Holy sh--... awful.

Pulling JP, Marv Levy said this morning it was a good move. Mike Schoop yesterday said it was a bad move.

HHHMMM I am now confused.

Pulling him to let him settle down for a set was a good move in IMHO. It let him watch what was going on. Nice move by MM.

446017[/snapback]

Finally, f i n a l l y, someone else who sees the move for what it really was. Problem is, he waited too long to do it. When a young QB is clearly struggling, you do this early on so that you can still impact the game. Should have done it in the 2nd Qtr. (on the 1 yd. line posession) and then talked about it at half time.

2) Pulling JP.  Anyone who says this is a good move is thinking with their ass. Way to build the rookie's confidence.  Then put him BACK in? Holy sh--... awful.

445426[/snapback]

i remember the announcer saying it was horrible, becuase all this week we would be wondering who would start... bla bla bla..

we all know JP is our QB. he will start. but he was horrible. if we were going to come back, we needed to change something. so he sat JP down for a series. our backup was just as bad. and we put JP back in.

but once we put JP back in, he started to throw better. complete passes. it seemed to act as motivation.

a good call IMO. its not like he threw a INT and pulled him for the backup (ala redskins). JP only had ~3 completed passes. come on. something had to change. thats what killed his confidence, not being pulled for one series.

The dumbest thing Mularkey did was punting on 4th and 9 from the Bucs 38 yard line with 13 minutes left in the game, trailing by 2 TD's and knowing that the defense could not stop the Bucs from churning out first downs with the run.  The Bills were probably going to lose anyway, but you have to be in it to win it, and when you can't stop the run, 13 minutes is more like 5 minutes.  Mularkey got what he deserved when Moorman blew the punt for a net 15 yards.  If nothing else, it would have been a big opportunity for Losman to make a huge confidence building play and salvage something from the day.

445727[/snapback]

I'm with you on this one. He needed to do something different to jump start the offense.

I have no beef with pulling Losman when he did, and reinserting him back after the series. The kid seemed to respond to the benching relatively well.

Still, it doesn't excuse his play over the first 3 quarters, which is the biggest reason the game turned into a cluster. There's not much game planning you can do, when your QB can't hit an open reveiver 7 yds downfield.

This is the performance we feared he'd deliver in the opener, but we all got suckered in.

Then it's still a safety.

Dunno about you, but after the two-pointer I was thinking, "well, at least that's not the WORST thing that could've happened on that play...."

445439[/snapback]

Yup - we got stuffed by a better team on the day. It happens in football.

I breathed easier on the safety when I realised it was only 2-0 and JP didn't do anything too dumb. It was dumb, but could easily have been 6 for the Bucs.

We SHOULD have handed the ball off to Willis a lot more, but let's not go nuts. He's not untouchable and our OL had done nothing to prove they could bear down on the Bucs D.

The dumbest thing Mularkey did was punting on 4th and 9 from the Bucs 38 yard line with 13 minutes left in the game, trailing by 2 TD's and knowing that the defense could not stop the Bucs from churning out first downs with the run.  The Bills were probably going to lose anyway, but you have to be in it to win it, and when you can't stop the run, 13 minutes is more like 5 minutes.  Mularkey got what he deserved when Moorman blew the punt for a net 15 yards.  If nothing else, it would have been a big opportunity for Losman to make a huge confidence building play and salvage something from the day.

445727[/snapback]

I have to agree with this statement. 2 games and Moorman hasn't nailed one yet inside the 20 its not like he's not getting any practice. Hey but his average looks good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Going with a PASS play when pinned against your own goal line. WTF was that? Pound the ball with willis, and if he gets the 1st, great. If not, Moorman gets a little more room.

445426[/snapback]

I don't mind passing but it was obvious they were coming with the blitz so have a receiver ready to catch the ball 1-2 seconds after it's snapped! JP didn't have a lot of time so have plays where he can dump the ball!

2) Pulling JP.  Anyone who says this is a good move is thinking with their ass. Way to build the rookie's confidence.  Then put him BACK in? Holy sh--... awful.
I liked the move. Give JP a series off; he was bashing his head against a wall for the entire game up to that point. He seemed better when he returned.

When MM pulled J.P. I thought it was a terrible move. But when I realized it was for only one series, I was fine with it. Give him a series to watch and think. It seemed to work well.

My biggest problem with the coaching is that they seemed to come in with a flawed game plan and never were able to make the needed adjustments. As has been pointed out many times here today, the Bills played right into the Bucs' strengths the entire game.

There is no doubt in my mind that MM and his staff were out-coached yesterday.

His 1st one was not signing Drew Haddad.  :)

Soooo....that makes 3.

445564[/snapback]

Haddad again? Jeez, some around here think he was the second coming or something. This guy has been around for what, 4-5 years and he hasn't been able to catch on with anyone yet, save a few plays.

Something is missing in his game or he'd be here.

How about a moratorium on this subject until or if he ever does anything with any team.

Also, if JP's confidence is crushed because he was pulled, then he's not going to make it folks. He was pretty wild out there yesterday. He threw high, low, and into the hands of the defenders. He seems as if he's trying to gun every throw, save the screens.

445426[/snapback]

Hmmm... You know, whenever a QB isn't playing well, people start chanting for him to be yanked in favor of his backup. I remember this happening even when Kelly was QB.

Perhaps Mularkey put Holcomb in for a series in order to demonstrate that the Bucs defense was really handing it to the Bills yesterday, regardless of who was at quarterback. Seeing your veteran backup be ineffectual against the same defense may indeed serve as a confidence builder in this light.

445426[/snapback]

Yeah. What in the heck was Buddy Mularky thinking? Now, if Mike Mularkey would've made that decision...

I'm with you on this one.  He needed to do something different to jump start the offense.

I have no beef with pulling Losman when he did, and reinserting him back after the series.  The kid seemed to respond to the benching relatively well. 

Still, it doesn't excuse his play over the first 3 quarters, which is the biggest reason the game turned into a cluster.  There's not much game planning you can do, when your QB can't hit an open reveiver 7 yds downfield.

This is the performance we feared he'd deliver in the opener, but we all got suckered in.

446156[/snapback]

Totally different ballgame. It's literally 2-3 times as hard to play on the road, against a defense like Tampa in 100 degree heat, against a veteran team and staff knowing that you're in your second game. IMO, we could have easily predicted both the first and second games out of JP. He probably played a little better than expected in the first and a little worse than expected in the second. Okay, a lot worse. I didnt mind him having trouble. I didn't mind him having a poor day. I didn't mind him getting frustrated. I REALLY minded him missing 6-7 passes by six feet when he had time and slightly open receivers.

When MM pulled J.P. I thought it was a terrible move. But when I realized it was for only one series, I was fine with it. Give him a series to watch and think. It seemed to work well.

My biggest problem with the coaching is that they seemed to come in with a flawed game plan and never were able to make the needed adjustments. As has been pointed out many times here today, the Bills played right into the Bucs' strengths the entire game.

There is  no doubt in my mind that MM and his staff were out-coached yesterday.

446304[/snapback]

Agreed and that tends to happen when a Super Bowl winning coach goes against a second year guy. MM learned yesterday and the Bills are bound to get better for it. Sure it was a painful, ugly lesson, but that is kinda life in general.

Personally, that game does not dilute my enthusiasm of where they will end up at years end. I still think they have the potential to win 10 games. No joke.

UOTE(scribo @ Sep 19 2005, 10:02 AM)

There is no doubt in my mind that MM and his staff were out-coached yesterday.

Agreed and that tends to happen when a Super Bowl winning coach goes against a second year guy.  MM learned yesterday and the Bills are bound to get better for it.  Sure it was a painful, ugly lesson, but that is kinda life in general.

Personally, that game does not dilute my enthusiasm of where they will end up at years end.  I still think they have the potential to win 10 games.  No joke.

446647[/snapback]

I just want to say I agree with da bodaya. I said, "WTF?" when he was first pulled...but understood it when he was put back in. I actually applaud the move now. JP is plenty tough enough to handle this, IMO.

I, too, think they'll win 10. :)

445426[/snapback]

I agree with you on #2, I think you've got to let him finish what he started. With number one, our OL wasn't run blocking effectively all game so maybe he wanted to try something else to loosen everyone up, even if it was at the other teams goal line.

445426[/snapback]

I agree 100% with your first opinion. As for the second, I agree with MM decision. The only problem was it was too late. He should have tried it in the middle of the third quarter, not when the Bucs were just all out blitzing ala JP vs. NE last year. I don't understand why it's acceptable to pull a pitcher or goaltender, but not a QB. JP's a tough kid, this will not hurt his confidence. If anything it will make him work harder so this never happens again.