Two mind boggling moves by Mularky

stevestojan

1) Going with a PASS play when pinned against your own goal line. WTF was that? Pound the ball with willis, and if he gets the 1st, great. If not, Moorman gets a little more room.

2) Pulling JP. Anyone who says this is a good move is thinking with their ass. Way to build the rookie's confidence. Then put him BACK in? Holy sh--... awful.

1) Going with a PASS play when pinned against your own goal line. WTF was that? Pound the ball with willis, and if he gets the 1st, great. If not, Moorman gets a little more room.

2) Pulling JP.  Anyone who says this is a good move is thinking with their ass. Way to build the rookie's confidence.  Then put him BACK in? Holy sh--... awful.

445426[/snapback]

Yes, but what if we went for the run and McGahee was dropped for a 2 yard loss like he was 2-3 other times this game?

Couldnt agree with you more with #2 ... dumb move to pull him out

Not only was I worried about JP when they pulled him (confidence, losing the experience of struggling through a game- which is priceless in my opinion) but I was also thinking, "Oh crap, we're going to have another quarterback controversy!" Not to be mean to Holcomb, cuz I think he's a pretty good quarterback and have no ill feelings towards him, but I'm glad he didn't do anything. If he had, think of all the Holcomb supporters that would have emerged... but he didn't look any better than JP, thank god.

We knew this was going to happen... we knew our offense was going to have issues... too bad it was a day when our Defense decided not to show up.

2) Pulling JP.  Anyone who says this is a good move is thinking with their ass. Way to build the rookie's confidence.  Then put him BACK in? Holy sh--... awful.

445426[/snapback]

Yes, but what if we went for the run and McGahee was dropped for a 2 yard loss like he was 2-3 other times this game?

445427[/snapback]

Then it's still a safety.

Dunno about you, but after the two-pointer I was thinking, "well, at least that's not the WORST thing that could've happened on that play...."

445426[/snapback]

bullschitt. did JP look like he had his feelings hurt? he played his best ball of the day after coming back in. it's not like JP was having an "ok" day up to that point -- he had completed roughly 25% of his passes and gotten 1 or 2 first downs.

in fact -- when holcomb was brought in, i said to a friend watching the game with me, "i like this move if they bring JP back in the next series." my friend agreed.

apparently we join MM in thinking with our asses.

i bet this game helps JP a ton.

I don't have a problem with MM pulling JP for a series. In fact, I think it shows guts on the coach's part. At least he was trying something different to get the O rolling. First with the no-huddle, then with Holcombe. JP was not getting the job done, period. He came back with a fire under his ass and marched the team down the field. Granted, they were in prevent but still, his accuracy was better.

If being benched for a series is going to crush our QB's confidence then he is not the right QB to lead this team and is definitely not the next coming of Jim Kelly. I don't think you guys give Losman enough credit, he's going to be fine.

RTB

To quote another coach in our division "You play to win the game". If Tampa had not kicked a field goal due to defensive breakdowns while Holcomb was warming up to come in, we're down 13 & if Holcomb catches fire, 2 TDs WIN THE GAME! It's that simple reason that Holcomb came in. After the FG & Holcomb's 3 & out, chances of winning the game were slim, so he put JP back for more experience.

bullschitt.  did JP look like he had his feelings hurt?  he played his best ball of the day after coming back in.  it's not like JP was having an "ok" day up to that point -- he had completed roughly 25% of his passes and gotten 1 or 2 first downs.

in fact -- when holcomb was brought in, i said to a friend watching the game with me, "i like this move if they bring JP back in the next series."  my friend agreed.

apparently we join MM in thinking with our asses.

i bet this game helps JP a ton.

445445[/snapback]

Exactly. JP chose to respond to the situation as opposed to react and feel sorry for himself.

If being benched for a series is going to crush our QB's confidence then he is not the right QB to lead this team and is definitely not the next coming of Jim Kelly. I don't think you guys give Losman enough credit, he's going to be fine.

RTB

445447[/snapback]

Well said!

That move had nothing to do with Holcomb, and everything to do with JP.

It was a "breather" -- they took him out to settle him down, regain his perspective. As someone mentioned above, it was a fine move as long as they put him right back in, when they did.

The kid is just that -- a kid. He'll be ok.

445426[/snapback]

I agree with you, Sweetie. :angry:

445426[/snapback]

zzzzzzzzzz

If those are the 2 dumbest things he does this year, we might have a pretty good coach.

That move had nothing to do with Holcomb, and everything to do with JP.

It was a "breather" -- they took him out to settle him down, regain his perspective. As someone mentioned above, it was a fine move as long as they put him right back in, when they did.

The kid is just that -- a kid. He'll be ok.

I total agree. JP needed to see what the D was doing from the sidelines. He needed a timeout er breather.

The kid grew up in a heavy gang area and didn't really fit in with anyone. He went to his hometown school, but transfered to get away from getting babied by his family. He had no line to speak of his last two years at Tulane yet performed well. He is very resilient because of all this life experience.

He played like horseshit today. If nothing else, listen to JP, he's a realist. He knows he sucked today. Pulling him and putting him back in isn't going to do sh-- to his confidence. He's not Ryan Leaf----he will find the one or two positive things he did..and build on them...so will his yoda-Sam Wyche.

As to the goal line situation...running the ball and kicking it away would have been great--but at some point in time--JP is going to face that situation in the 4th quarter, down 2, 2 minutes left and we will have to pass..its probably the most difficult on-field situation a QB has to face...these are the reps that you can't create in practice--he needs to experience them on the field. I have no problem taking some risks if it quickens JP's development.

Did anyone think we would go 16-0 with a first year starter at QB? Today was the first of many growing pains. The roller coaster has started--

445426[/snapback]

The dumbest thing Mularkey did was punting on 4th and 9 from the Bucs 38 yard line with 13 minutes left in the game, trailing by 2 TD's and knowing that the defense could not stop the Bucs from churning out first downs with the run. The Bills were probably going to lose anyway, but you have to be in it to win it, and when you can't stop the run, 13 minutes is more like 5 minutes. Mularkey got what he deserved when Moorman blew the punt for a net 15 yards. If nothing else, it would have been a big opportunity for Losman to make a huge confidence building play and salvage something from the day.

The dumbest thing Mularkey did was punting on 4th and 9 from the Bucs 38 yard line with 13 minutes left in the game, trailing by 2 TD's and knowing that the defense could not stop the Bucs from churning out first downs with the run.  The Bills were probably going to lose anyway, but you have to be in it to win it, and when you can't stop the run, 13 minutes is more like 5 minutes.  Mularkey got what he deserved when Moorman blew the punt for a net 15 yards.  If nothing else, it would have been a big opportunity for Losman to make a huge confidence building play and salvage something from the day.

445727[/snapback]

Ayup.

That was when I turned it off for the second time and went outside.