Al Gore is a good man

Mickey

Yeah, I doubt a guy who's made millions from his affiliation with Occidental Petroleum and had nearly $200K in income that year (not including his per diem and other Congressional perks) had only $300 to give.  Perhaps it has something to do with not trusting a career politician who has proven time and time again to be untrustworthy and hypocritical.  It must be my love for the Republicans skewing my judgement.   0:)

Pardon me for not wanting to waste another minute of my time "researching" what a hypocritical douche bag Al Gore actually is (try doing an advanced search on this site, using little more than "Al Gore" and my username - you'll see I've done it ad nauseum).  Especially for when the person defending him is desperately trying to find ANYTHING about ANY liberal that can be reported in a positive manner -   Mostly to validate his own pathetic politics.

Let me just openly wonder how long your mouth would move up and down if the person the story was being told about was named Trent Lott.  Yeah.  Right.

438198[/snapback]

Typical, caught in the pettiest of partisan attacks, you try and play your favorite, intellectually bankrupt defense, that the other guy is a partisan.

It would have taken too much time to read the article you cited, the whole article? For example, did you read the part where it says they donated $52,558 in 1992 or $35,530 in 1997? Did you read the part where most of their donations in the year you claim they were cheapskates they donated to their church and other charities in contributions that can't be itemized? Did you read the part where in that year they had two kids at Harvard and a third in private school? That probably cost about 140 grand of their 200 right there.

A quick google reveals that they gave over 15 grand in 1999, more than the much wealthier Bush gave in 1996 when his income was over twice what the Gore's made. To be fair, the Bush family did give over 300k in 1998 but then again, they made $18.4 million so that was only 1.8% of their income. I am sure that you have pointed out what a cheap skate the Bushes are everytime anyone has ever posted anything positive about him being that you're not a partisan and the rest of us are.

I started this thread with a simple statement, Gore did something nice in helping to rescue 270 people. That wasn't a slam against anyone else, it wasn't a political manifesto, it was just an unreported fact on this board so I reported it. To you, his act of kindness fades to nothing balanced against an obscure tax record from 8 years ago.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you read the part where most of their donations in the year you claim they were cheapskates they donated to their church and other charities in contributions that can't be itemized? 

"Aides also said some donations could not be claimed on the form, including church contributions and Mrs. Gore's donations of food and clothing to the homeless. "

Since when can't donatations of goods to the homeless be itemized? Tipper needs a new tax accountant.

"Aides also said some donations could not be claimed on the form, including church contributions and Mrs. Gore's donations of food and clothing to the homeless. "

Since when can't donatations of goods to the homeless be itemized?  Tipper needs a new tax accountant.

438387[/snapback]

Oh the whole thing is just silly. It is the kind of rain puddle deep cheap shot that has so coarsened public debate. Yeah, both sides do it that doesn't make it an less objectionable.

I knew the very idea that Al Gore might have done something nice just wasn't going to be allowed here. The guy helps rescue 270 people from a flooded hospital and rather than just shut up or, god forbid, say "gee, that was nice", the knee jerk reaction is to find something, anything, even obscure tax records, to take the opportunity to say that Gore is a dick.

*sigh*

Oh the whole thing is just silly.  It is the kind of rain puddle deep cheap shot that has so coarsened public debate.  Yeah, both sides do it that doesn't make it an less objectionable.

I knew the very idea that Al Gore might have done something nice just wasn't going to be allowed here.  The guy helps rescue 270 people from a flooded hospital and rather than just shut up or, god forbid, say "gee, that was nice", the knee jerk reaction is to find something, anything, even obscure tax records, to take the opportunity to say that Gore is a dick.

*sigh*

438404[/snapback]

Good for Mr. Gore. I'm happy to see him using his influence and wealth to help people. He should be commended, as should a lot of people who have helped.

However, I find your frustration and surprise at the direction of this thread to be a little disingenuous. After all, the far left crowd here has run a non-stop attack campaign against Bush for the perceived (i.e., mostly bullsh--) 'mismanagement' of the post Katrina situation. So when you pop up with a happy cheery story about the guy that Bush defeated to become President, I think the reasonable assumption is that you were looking to bait people.

Typical, caught in the pettiest of partisan attacks, you try and play your favorite, intellectually bankrupt defense, that the other guy is a partisan.

It would have taken too much time to read the article you cited, the whole article?  For example, did you read the part where it says they donated $52,558 in 1992 or $35,530 in 1997?  Did you read the part where most of their donations in the year you claim they were cheapskates they donated to their church and other charities in contributions that can't be itemized?  Did you read the part where in that year they had two kids at Harvard and a third in private school? That probably cost about 140 grand of their 200 right there.

A quick google reveals that they gave over 15 grand in 1999, more than the much wealthier Bush gave in 1996 when his income was over twice what the Gore's made.  To be fair, the Bush family did give over 300k in 1998 but then again, they made $18.4 million so that was only 1.8% of their income.  I am sure that you have pointed out what a cheap skate the Bushes are everytime anyone has ever posted anything positive about him being that you're not a partisan and the rest of us are. 

I started this thread with a simple statement, Gore did something nice in helping to rescue 270 people.  That wasn't a slam against anyone else, it wasn't a political manifesto, it was just an unreported fact on this board so I reported it.  To you, his act of kindness fades to nothing balanced against an obscure tax record from 8 years ago.

438378[/snapback]

The next time there is a public display of affection for George W. Bush's charity largesse, I'll be on the job. I'm sure you'll search long and hard to find something, since the media loves to prop Republicans up when they're doing nice things for people. 0:)

Good luck on your quest.

Oh, and Al Gore could cure Aids, Cancer, and feed all the starving children and he still wouldn't get any Christmas gifts from Santa Claus. Because he's a hypocritical douche bag and has been for most of his adult life - no matter how hard YOU try to ignore the litany of facts on the subject. But it is fun to watch you spread frosting all over a piece of crap and try to pass it off as cake.

Pathetic. Nearly as pathetic as you trying to pretend that you're somehow able to look at anything objectively. The last few years have turned you into a parody of your former level-headed self. Losing at virtually every turn probably does that to people.

So many of you sit here and criticize others for helping out any way they can. 

435797[/snapback]

Thats true, but many people on your side of the political coin will stop at NOTHING to make GB look bad, even if it means making Bu$h the focus of a national tragedy where so many people died. That is a disgrase as well.

Its all a joke. And as for Al Gore, thats a nice jesture, every bit helps, no matter how little or how much one gives. Period.

Thats true, but many people on your side of the political coin will stop at NOTHING to make GB look bad, even if it means making Bu$h the focus of a national tragedy where so many people died.  That is a disgrase as well.

Its all a joke.  And as for Al Gore, thats a nice jesture, every bit helps, no matter how little or how much one gives.  Period.

438461[/snapback]

There are people on the Left who couldn't wait to use this against Bush. The day after the hurricane hit NO, before the levees broke, the focus was on global warming and "See what Bush not signing Kyoto results in! See!"

Please note that I'm not saying everyone on the Left did this, but it was disturbing that there were as many as there were.

Al Gore is a private citizen, just like us. He chose to go there.  We're still here.  He chose to use his own funds. 

George Bush could have snapped his fingers on Monday after the storm had passed and been there in hours.

So many of you sit here and criticize others for helping out any way they can.  Some day you'll need help.  It will be interesting to see how many people rush to help you.

435797[/snapback]

I'm just cynical enough, though, to believe that, as he is a politician, Al Gore's "help" is self-serving and has little to do with people in need.

You can disagree...but you can't convince me otherwise. I don't believe the ruling elite truly gives a damn about the hoi polloi except as election theory applies to them.

I'm just cynical enough, though, to believe that, as he is a politician, Al Gore's "help" is self-serving and has little to do with people in need.

You can disagree...but you can't convince me otherwise.  I don't believe the ruling elite truly gives a damn about the hoi polloi except as election theory applies to them.

438541[/snapback]

Noblesse oblige is dead?!

And here I thought it just smelled a little funny......

You can disagree...but you can't convince me otherwise.  I don't believe the ruling elite truly gives a damn about the hoi polloi except as election theory applies to them.

438541[/snapback]

But you are not cynical enough that you continue to stand-up for the governmental and miltary establishment.

:doh::doh::doh:

I started this thread with a simple statement, Gore did something nice in helping to rescue 270 people.  That wasn't a slam against anyone else, it wasn't a political manifesto, it was just an unreported fact on this board so I reported it.  To you, his act of kindness fades to nothing balanced against an obscure tax record from 8 years ago.

438378[/snapback]

Yeah....RIGHT. Bringing up Al Gore,as if anyone gives a sh-- what HIS contributions are, was just so....innocent. Maybe Ill bring up Adolph Hitler to discuss his terrific contributions to the automotive industry. Its just an "unreported fact", right?

Dont be silly, Mick.

Al Gore and pizza man Larry Flax paid for two flights of Katrina survivors from Charity Hospital in New Orleans to Tennesee and rounded up some doctors to take care of them upon their arrival.  He also used his political clout to get landing rights in NO for the flights.  Airline procedures were expedited, no contracts or other paper work, because a promise from Al Gore was all they needed.  Gore has declined to be interviewed about the mercy flights. 

It started when he got a call from an old friend, a doctor who was stranded at the hospital which was without food, water and power, was surrouned by 4 feet of water and floating corpses.  The doc had treated Gore's son years ago when he nearly died in a car accident.  Gore immedieatly agreed to set up and underwrite the flights.  Later, the owner of California Pizza asked to help and he underwrote one of the flights.  All in all, 270 people from that hospital were evacuated.  See Gore

I suppose there are those here who just won't be able to refrain from making some sort of Coulteresque sophmoric slam against Gore but that would be their shame and I welcome them to publicly parade their lack of decency here if they must.

Otherwise, I hope we can at least agree that whatever one might think of his politics, he is a good man who here did a very good thing.  Many others have as well, in their own way, in this tragedy and I hope their stories of courage and kindness all come out in the end.

435693[/snapback]

Did he use his own funds, or those of the monks that he shook down?

Seriously, the doctor saved his child. There was certainly a debt to be repaid. It was a nice thing to do, but can we not cannonize Gore just yet?

PS: Be sure to let the voters of his home state just how wonderful he is. :doh:

Just having fun. :doh:

Ya right... 

Beats whacking off to a Jane's manual.

:doh:  :doh:  :doh:

438647[/snapback]

Classic!!!!!!!!! Besides, if there is no Janes manual handy for our resident "open minded" right wingers, they can always come to this website, and read each others posts aloud. I am sure that would get them equally excited.

perhaps we should have something similar to a LAMP for certain threads that reads, "Warning, right wing circle jerk ahead"!

But you are not cynical enough that you continue to stand-up for the governmental and miltary establishment.

:doh:  :doh:  :doh:

438606[/snapback]

I do?

News flash: I'm dead-set against most of the high dollar value programs the Pentagon's indulging right now...which I wouldn't expect you to know, as you've never asked. I only support the occupation of Iraq because I believe we're morally obligated to stabilize the country, since we destabilized it to begin with. Of course, you don't know that, because no one in this friggin' asylumn is capable of discussing either in remotely intelligent fashion without "Flightsuit! Halliburton!" Hell, most people can't even see past their preconceived notions to understand the reason we invaded Iraq, even though it's been staring them in the face for years now...

The only reason I seem to support things more than I do is because I support the media even less. If they indulged even remotely accurate reporting, I'd be expressing my criticism more frequently. As it is, I'm too busy bashing the media to properly bash the administration.

Yeah....RIGHT.  Bringing up Al Gore,as if anyone gives a sh-- what HIS contributions are, was just so....innocent. Maybe Ill bring up Adolph Hitler to discuss his terrific contributions to the automotive industry. Its just an "unreported fact", right?

Dont be silly, Mick.

438638[/snapback]

I believe the established rule is that the first person to bring up a Hitler reference in a debate around here loses.

I'm not sure I see a connection between Al Gore and Hitler, maybe you could enlighten me as to the similarities between the worst mass murderer in the history of creation and a former vice prez who funded the rescue of 270 people from a hospital destroyed in a flood.

I don't know if you have noticed or not but there has been quite a few threads of late regarding this hurricane thing, maybe you heard that there was a spot of bad weather in the gulf coast area a few weeks ago? In that context, I see no reason why a post from me on the hurricane involving the rescue of 270 people aided by a well known political figure would be as out of left field as a post regarding Adolph Hitler's industrial relations policies. I guess it is okay to post a thread taking shots at the rescue efforts of Sean Penn but not okay to post a complimentary thread regarding the effective effort made by Al Gore. I keep forgetting how nasty, mean spirited denigration gets a wide berth around here while anything complimentary to a democrat, even if only remotely so, has to be set upon by rabid wolves.

Gore=Bad. There, is that more acceptable?

I do?

News flash: I'm dead-set against most of the high dollar value programs the Pentagon's indulging right now...which I wouldn't expect you to know, as you've never asked.  I only support the occupation of Iraq because I believe we're morally obligated to stabilize the country, since we destabilized it to begin with.  Of course, you don't know that, because no one in this friggin' asylumn is capable of discussing either in remotely intelligent fashion without "Flightsuit!  Halliburton!"  Hell, most people can't even see past their preconceived notions to understand the reason we invaded Iraq, even though it's been staring them in the face for years now...

The only reason I seem to support things more than I do is because I support the media even less.  If they indulged even remotely accurate reporting, I'd be expressing my criticism more frequently.  As it is, I'm too busy bashing the media to properly bash the administration.

438692[/snapback]

Thanks!