Al Gore is a good man

Mickey

Al Gore and pizza man Larry Flax paid for two flights of Katrina survivors from Charity Hospital in New Orleans to Tennesee and rounded up some doctors to take care of them upon their arrival. He also used his political clout to get landing rights in NO for the flights. Airline procedures were expedited, no contracts or other paper work, because a promise from Al Gore was all they needed. Gore has declined to be interviewed about the mercy flights.

It started when he got a call from an old friend, a doctor who was stranded at the hospital which was without food, water and power, was surrouned by 4 feet of water and floating corpses. The doc had treated Gore's son years ago when he nearly died in a car accident. Gore immedieatly agreed to set up and underwrite the flights. Later, the owner of California Pizza asked to help and he underwrote one of the flights. All in all, 270 people from that hospital were evacuated. See Gore

I suppose there are those here who just won't be able to refrain from making some sort of Coulteresque sophmoric slam against Gore but that would be their shame and I welcome them to publicly parade their lack of decency here if they must.

Otherwise, I hope we can at least agree that whatever one might think of his politics, he is a good man who here did a very good thing. Many others have as well, in their own way, in this tragedy and I hope their stories of courage and kindness all come out in the end.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al Gore and pizza man Larry Flax paid for two flights of Katrina survivors from Charity Hospital in New Orleans to Tennesee and rounded up some doctors to take care of them upon their arrival.  He also used his political clout to get landing rights in NO for the flights.  Airline procedures were expedited, no contracts or other paper work, because a promise from Al Gore was all they needed.  Gore has declined to be interviewed about the mercy flights. 

It started when he got a call from an old friend, a doctor who was stranded at the hospital which was without food, water and power, was surrouned by 4 feet of water and floating corpses.  The doc had treated Gore's son years ago when he nearly died in a car accident.  Gore immedieatly agreed to set up and underwrite the flights.  Later, the owner of California Pizza asked to help and he underwrote one of the flights.  All in all, 270 people from that hospital were evacuated.  See Gore

I suppose there are those here who just won't be able to refrain from making some sort of Coulteresque sophmoric slam against Gore but that would be their shame and I welcome them to publicly parade their lack of decency here if they must.

Otherwise, I hope we can at least agree that whatever one might think of his politics, he is a good man who here did a very good thing.  Many others have as well, in their own way, in this tragedy and I hope their stories of courage and kindness all come out in the end.

435693[/snapback]

But why did it take him nearly two weeks?? Oh my god, the horror, the horror. :D

Al Gore is a private citizen, just like us. He chose to go there. We're still here. He chose to use his own funds.

George Bush could have snapped his fingers on Monday after the storm had passed and been there in hours.

So many of you sit here and criticize others for helping out any way they can. Some day you'll need help. It will be interesting to see how many people rush to help you.

Yeah and last I heard he plans it's itinerary personally.  Flies it on occassion too.  Remember that flightsuit.  Where do you think he got it?  :D

435813[/snapback]

Hmmm.... Well, previously I had heard he got it from Wal-mart. After all, he is a Republican, so he loves big business. :devil:

So many of you sit here and criticize others for helping out any way they can.  Some day you'll need help.  It will be interesting to see how many people rush to help you.

435797[/snapback]

gosh...i have read this thread a time or two and i don't see a single bit of criticism.

you only wish that people would criticize Gore to give you a reason to rant.

somehow you still find a reason to post nonsense.

i for one am thrilled to hear the story. do i think al gore has an alterior motive?

sure...but that certainly isn't a criticism.

Al Gore is a private citizen, just like us. He chose to go there.  We're still here.  He chose to use his own funds. 

George Bush could have snapped his fingers on Monday after the storm had passed and been there in hours.

So many of you sit here and criticize others for helping out any way they can.  Some day you'll need help.  It will be interesting to see how many people rush to help you.

435797[/snapback]

That's right Al Gore is a private citizen. He calls up Netjets or whichever outfit he uses to fly around and a half hour later, the aircraft is warmed up and ready to go. He shoots over to the airport and bang...he's off!

GWB is the President of the United States. Even the stupidest of stupid realizes to move the so-called "leader of the free world" around, especially in a 747...intop a disaster area where the airports were pretty much shut down, takes juuuuuust a bit of planning and logistics.

So you answered your own question...and debated yourself! Nice work!

And who is helping ME? I have plenty of friends and family, thanks. And we dont judge each other by who we voted for.

435797[/snapback]

You know I think you just showed your true self. You pretty much said if any of us "wingnuts" was in trouble you would not help us or we don't deserve help. But I'm willing to bet my next paycheck (relax, I'm on commission and the next one's pretty weak) that every one of us "wingnuts" would bend over backwards to help you.

Here's the rub, many of us righties have set ourselves up to take care of ourselves. Where many on the left rely on the govt to take care of them, hense the "where was the govt in all of this?" crap. Wow, ship that one off to the irony board because it's pretty wrinkled logic.

ummm...  tax cuts?

435859[/snapback]

Yeeaaaaaaaahhhhh, those took overnight. :D

Where do you folks come up with this stuff.

Come on Gussie, you're are part of the British upper crust aren't you. Didn't I see you and Bertie at the Drones the other night bragging about the fact that your Uncle's summer cottage has 147 rooms. And what about the abuse of the poor working class servent Jeeves?? :devil:

Yeeaaaaaaaahhhhh, those took overnight.  :D

Come on Gussie, you're are part of the British upper crust aren't you.  Didn't I see you and Bertie at the Drones the other night bragging about the fact that your Uncle's summer cottage has 147 rooms.  And what about the abuse of the poor working class servent Jeeves??  :D

435876[/snapback]

Al Gore doesn't double post.

:devil:

Yeeaaaaaaaahhhhh, those took overnight.   :D

Come on Gussie, you're are part of the British upper crust aren't you.  Didn't I see you and Bertie at the Drones the other night bragging about the fact that your Uncle's summer cottage has 147 rooms.  And what about the abuse of the poor working class servent Jeeves??   :devil:

435876[/snapback]

If you've ever seen the BBC series, there's a funny scene when Bertie is caught up in some complicated plot to help one of his aunts who is short on the money needed to prop up her ladies magazine... she can't ask Uncle Tom, because it's tax time and he's in a foul mood. The scene: a garishly oppulent dinner in the dining hall. Everyone is eating silently, surrounded by servants standing at attention, while Uncle Tom rails "An additional 25 pounds? They'll ruin me! It's the end of England!"