Is Dorenbos gone? Yes he is...

Albany,n.y.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review...e/s_370423.html

As for Schneck, he knew the writing was on the wall in the preseason finale Thursday night in Carolina when he did not play. By cutting Schneck, a six-year vet who was the team's union rep last season, the Steelers will save about $300,000 under the salary cap with the rookie free-agent Warren in his place.

Schneck will become a free agent today at 6 p.m., unless the Steelers strike a trade for him.

"What are they going to get for me, a Snicker's Bar?" said Schneck, who is married and the father of a four-month-old son.

Schneck clearly was valuable to the Steelers since he arrived from Wisconsin six years ago. He earned a reputation around the league for his consistency and durability.

But the youthful -- and less expensive -- Warren won out this summer. Schneck, who lives four doors down from director of operations Kevin Colbert in the North Hills, has no hard feelings.

"Coach (Bill) Cowher was very positive, it wasn't anything I had done wrong," Schneck said. "But Greg did a great job. I can't predict how well he'll do, but to be honest, he reminds me of myself when I came in as a rookie. I think he has all the potential in the world. We just have to see if he lives up to the potential now."

Warren, who played with Steelers kicker Jeff Reed at North Carolina, faces some pressure, given the fact he'll be part of a team that's considered to be a Super Bowl contender.

"I had a great experience with the Steelers, and he has that chance now," Schneck said. "For me, I just have to deal with this and move on." 

He snaps for both kicks and punts, which Dorenbos doesn't really do. He's been reliable, missing only four games (in one season) over five years. He was a linebacker (6'1" 237) but I don't think ever played LB in a game, and probably doesnt even practice. If they let Dorenbos go it will be because Schneck does kicker snaps, too, and because they are worried about Dorenbos' durability.

He snaps for both kicks and punts, which Dorenbos doesn't really do. He's been reliable, missing only four games (in one season) over five years. He was a linebacker (6'1" 237) but I don't think ever played LB in a game, and probably doesnt even practice. If they let Dorenbos go it will be because Schneck does kicker snaps, too, and because they are worried about Dorenbos' durability.

431224[/snapback]

I never noticed that, thought JD did both. Who was snapping for kicks???

I decided to check up on Schneck in my 2005 preview magazines, and all of them regard him as one of the best Long Snappers in the NFL. Lindy's called him "one of the elite" in the business. Problem is, most of these magazines give a sentence in discussion over long snappers, but they all say that Schneck is very good at it.

Compare that to what they say about Dorenbos, most of them saying that he's coming back from injury and, at best, is "solid".

The Bills arent running a charity here, and although Dorenbos' life story truly is amazing, if we can get a better player who snaps on both punts and FGs AND a guy who doesnt have knee problems, I say go for it. Especially if he's considered to be one of the best at it in the NFL.

I decided to check up on Schneck in my 2005 preview magazines, and all of them regard him as one of the best Long Snappers in the NFL.  Lindy's called him "one of the elite" in the business.  Problem is, most of these magazines give a sentence in discussion over long snappers, but they all say that Schneck is very good at it.

Compare that to what they say about Dorenbos, most of them saying that he's coming back from injury and, at best, is "solid".

The Bills arent running a charity here, and although Dorenbos' life story truly is amazing, if we can get a better player who snaps on both punts and FGs AND a guy who doesnt have knee problems, I say go for it.  Especially if he's considered to be one of the best at it in the NFL.

431259[/snapback]

Maybe Mike Martz will sign Dorenbos to beef up his special teams play! :doh:

I never noticed that, thought JD did both. Who was snapping for kicks???

431257[/snapback]

Teague usually did it but he was hurt some last year and Dorenbos did some, plus I think one or two other guys may have snapped some for the PATS and FGs last year. Teague did the FGs and PATS the entire 2003 season.

From Buffalobills.com

Orchard Park, NY – The Bills announced that the team has signed LS Mike Schneck.

An undrafted free agent out of Wisconsin in 1999, Schneck was the Pittsburgh Steelers long snapper for the last six seasons, playing in 92 career games.

The Bills also announced today that the team has waived LS Jon Dorenbos.

New Player Signed

Teague usually did it but he was hurt some last year and Dorenbos did some, plus I think one or two other guys may have snapped some for the PATS and FGs last year. Teague did the FGs and PATS the entire 2003 season.

431287[/snapback]

Then JD was a total waste of a roster spot. I would think having a good snapper for kicks is far more important than a good snapper for punts... accuracy and timing is more critical there.

Then JD was a total waste of a roster spot. I would think having a good snapper for kicks is far more important than a good snapper for punts... accuracy and timing is more critical there.

431292[/snapback]

I think it's a lot easier though, and surely Moorman benefitted from the hard, quick, accurate snaps from Dorenbos. It's a small but very important element of both kicking and punting. You need to have a reliable one, and surely it would be good if a player did something else (like, say, if Preston was able to do it) but a good reliable guy like Schneck apparently is to do both is nice to have.

Wow, Dorenbos is gone. What a shame. A great story, and the guy was an incredible long snapper. I really think his wicked fast snaps gave Moorman a distinct advantage.

Hopefully this other guy is just as good. He must somehow provide a little more bang for the buck, although I'm not sure just how.