The Official Katrina Aftermath Thread

PTS

9:30pm Tuesday: Latest update as per CNN. An attempt to fix and block the breach and holes in the levees of New Orleans has failed. Water levels are surging and it is expected to overpower the levees and raise water up an addition 15 feet in some parts in the next few hours.

Edited by Mr. Clutch

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read an interview with the mayor and he was none too optimistic. He used words like.. The city is devesatated and This COULD BE THE END of the City of New Orleans!!!

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/articles.aspx?aid=4864

A major levee has been breached and water in the city is rising an inch every 5 minutes according to the story I read.

This is horrible. :lol:

well the city is BELOW THE WATER LEVEL on a NORMAL day. i cant even imagin what its like now.

its been sinking for years. some could say the people knew this would come eventually. sucks for them. but come on. when you step out of your house and look UP at a huge river, realize thats the way its always been, maybe you should think about moving.

I saw an interview with the mayor and he was none too optimistic. He used words like.. The city is devesatated and This COULD BE THE END of the City of New Orleans!!!

A major levee has been breached and water in the city is rising an inch every 5 minutes according to the story I read.

422593[/snapback]

It looks like the aftermath is going to be worse than the actual hurricane. The floods and fires are uncontrolable as rescue crews can't get in.

well the city is BELOW THE WATER LEVEL on a NORMAL day. i cant even imagin what its like now.

its been sinking for years. some could say the people knew this would come eventually. sucks for them. but come on. when you step out of your house and look UP at a huge river, realize thats the way its always been, maybe you should think about moving.

422597[/snapback]

you have a point...you really have to wonder about the logic of building a city below sea level. When you need to build levees to stop your city from flooding, and actively pump water out, maybe its time to rethink where to live.

In cub scouts they teach you to camp on higher ground so you dont get flooded during a rainstorm.

What part of some one thinks "Hmmm, sea level is this high, and we live below it. That means that water is going to flood FROM the sea into my home/city. Sounds like a good place to live."

It looks like the aftermath is going to be worse than the actual hurricane. The floods and fires are uncontrolable as rescue crews can't get in.

422598[/snapback]

I just heard an interview with a guardsmen on the radio, he said there were several hundred people on roof tops waiting to be rescued. this could get really ugly.

I read an interview with the mayor and he was none too optimistic. He used words like.. The city is devesatated and This COULD BE THE END of the City of New Orleans!!!

422593[/snapback]

The 1 inch per 5 minutes has been revised to 1 inch per hour. The levees are intact, there is a predicted overflow as the saturated soil north of the area discharges and flows south. This will likely continue as the wash from the Tennessee and Ohio river valleys work their way to the gulf.

I have concerns for the folks in the mountainous areas of TN, KY and WVA - the mountains absorb a lot of moisture, but reaching the saturation point, they rapidly discharge.

The young son of a good friend of mine in western PA was killed that way. A few days of heavy rain, then a light sprinkling. He and others were playing by a local, small creek, the hills discharged and he was swept into a culvert under a road in the blink of an eye...

What part of some one thinks "Hmmm, sea level is this high, and we live below it. That means that water is going to flood FROM the sea into my home/city. Sounds like a good place to live."

422603[/snapback]

The part that thinks "hey, I could make a lot of money if I set up camp right here at the mouth of the country's biggest river with convenient shipping lanes from here to the ends of the earth."

That's how New Orleans got built where it was in the first place. By the time people realized the danger, it was too late. You can't just relocate an entire city. Well, NOW you can, because you have to...

they did it in spongebob when the alaska bull worm threatened Bikini Bottom, all the town folk moved the city, unbeknownst to Sandy and Spongebob who were busy wrangling the critter over the same cliff that overlooked the valley where they moved bikini bottom, needless to say it was not a pretty sight

The part that thinks "hey, I could make a lot of money if I set up camp right here at the mouth of the country's biggest river with convenient shipping lanes from here to the ends of the earth."

That's how New Orleans got built where it was in the first place.  By the time people realized the danger, it was too late.  You can't just relocate an entire city.  Well, NOW you can, because you have to...

422611[/snapback]

they did it in spongebob when the alaska bull worm threatened Bikini Bottom, all the town folk moved the city, unbeknownst to Sandy and Spongebob who were busy wrangling the critter over the same cliff that overlooked the valley where they moved bikini bottom, needless to say it was not a pretty sight

422616[/snapback]

Ya, good time to compare SPONGEBOB to a tragedy like this...

AHAHHAHAHAHAhA..

Ya, funny stuff

oh bite me! and worrying where an insignificant football game will take place is showing empathy, sympathy????? go get your panties out of its bunch. jiminy christmas!!!!! :lol:

Ya, good time to compare SPONGEBOB to a tragedy like this...

AHAHHAHAHAHAhA..

Ya, funny stuff

422622[/snapback]

The 1 inch per 5 minutes has been revised to 1 inch per hour. The levees are intact, there is a predicted overflow as the saturated soil north of the area discharges and flows south.

422606[/snapback]

According to this article there's a 200 foot break in one of the levees

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katr...eans/index.html

The 1 inch per 5 minutes has been revised to 1 inch per hour. The levees are intact, there is a predicted overflow as the saturated soil north of the area discharges and flows south.  This will likely continue as the wash from the Tennessee and Ohio river valleys work their way to the gulf.

I have concerns for the folks in the mountainous areas of TN, KY and WVA - the mountains absorb a lot of moisture, but reaching the saturation point, they rapidly discharge.

The young son of a good friend of mine in western PA was killed that way. A few days of heavy rain, then a light sprinkling. He and others were playing by a local, small creek, the hills discharged and he was swept into a culvert under a road in the blink of an eye...

422606[/snapback]

The devestation is by no means over. I lived near Ft. Knox for several years. The Ohio floods if you look at it crosseyed.

According to this article there's a 200 foot break in of of the levees

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katr...eans/index.html

422627[/snapback]

Hmmm...last I heard was an overflow. also, as of about 10 AM, after the levee problem was reported, plans to evacuate tulane Hospital were put on hold because they said the rate of ride had abated.

For obvious reasons, I suppose reliable reports are going to be rare for some time to come. :lol:

As per Fox News. Fires, floods are ravaging Louisiana and Mississippi. They are evacuationg survivors out of New Orleans. Waters continue to rise in New Orleans at dangerous levels and they don't know where it's coming from.

422582[/snapback]

And only Fox News. Given that Fox has a history of playing fast and loose with facts (i.e. making sh-- up) in order to try to scoop the other networks, I'm not buying it yet.

The mayor did, however, say it'll be about 4-6 weeks before power's restored to the city, and suggest the city may have to be abandoned. :lol:

422616[/snapback]

When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

Looking at the hurricane projections, there is only Tropical Depression #13 and it's in a location that usually just goes into the Altantic ocean. If NO gets hit with another 'Cane this year, I don't want to even imagine.