The Official Katrina Aftermath Thread

PTS

I don't have a plan...but I'd at least not get up in front of my constituency and say, in effect, "Holy sh--, we're !@#$ed..."  :rolleyes:

423001[/snapback]

Some more quotes that have come out from the mayor...

"There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I can't see where it is but I know it's there. We'll get there, rebuild our city and be better than ever."

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Friends - The Germans.....

The toughest commentary of the day comes from Germany's Environmental Minister, Jürgen Trittin, a Green Party member, who takes space in the Frankfurter Rundschau, a paper owned by the Social Democrats, to bash US President George W. Bush's environmental laxity. He begins by likening the photos and videos of the hurricane stricken areas to scenes from a Roland Emmerich sci-fi film and insists that global warming and climate change are making it ever more likely that storms and floods will plague America and Europe. "There is only one possible route of action," he writes. "Greenhouse gases have to be radically reduced and it has to happen worldwide. Until now, the US has kept its eyes shut to this emergency. (Americans) make up a mere 4 percent of the population, but are responsible for close to a quarter of emissions." He adds that the average American is responsible for double as much carbon dioxide as the average European. "The Bush government rejects international climate protection goals by insisting that imposing them would negatively impact the American economy. The American president is closing his eyes to the economic and human costs his land and the world economy are suffering under natural catastrophes like Katrina and because of neglected environmental policies." As such, Trittin also calls for a reworking of the Kyoto Protocol -- dubbing it the uncreative title of "Kyoto 2" -- and insisting that the US be included.

The left-leaning Die Tageszeitung also delivers a punchy plea for more attention to global warming, saying politicians should pay more attention to Katrina's alarming images than to election polls and economic forecasts. "Hurricane Katrina has delivered terrible photos. Experts are already calling it the worst hurricane of all time. But this year's hurricane season has only just begun. Flooded villages, mud slides, sandbags....Scientists are quite calmly saying that we will see this kind of thing more often. After all, this is what they have been forecasting for years -- climate change, human-caused and irreversible. But a change of policy is not in the cards. Politics is trapped between voters and industry lobbyists. And of course, there is the killer argument: Protecting the environment impedes economic growth." This is not how it should be, the paper opines. Indeed, more "pictures from New Orleans should encourage us to follow science's advice on climate protection."

Unbelievably, it's Bush's fault there was a hurricane. :rolleyes:

Drudge

Yes, Drudge.

OK. Shut up about any politicals. Now...don't even start.

I posted this for the aerial photos. If you've ever been to NO, you know what you're looking at.

423014[/snapback]

Here's a link for about 400 pictures of the damage across the Gulf, terrible........

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ts/...HNlYwNzc25hdg--

The levee has broke along a canal. That is where the water is coming from.

I'm always surprized at the widespread flooding along the missisipi. Dont they have building regulations to prevent people from building where it floods all of the time?

422991[/snapback]

Actually the policy is pretty much the opposite.

Rather than regulate to stop building on flood plains or to enforce codes that reduce damage, we use a free-market system where well-heeled individuals use campaign contributions to carry the day in getting policies which allow folks to develop where they want to develop.

There isn't a ideological problem with this since its the worse system except for all the rest, but this is a big part of why these bad things happen.

I think that even those who fully endorse the free-market system as the approach to take here should also be willing to acknowledge that one of the impacts of a buyer-beware approach to purchasers buying a home which may be flooded out (or whose basement may crack if government allows you to build in landfilled soil in Amherst New York) is that people getting killed and their houses ruined is part of the price to be paid for use of this system.

In addition to admitting this reality of cost distribution, here also needs to be acknowledgement that government actually distorts the marketplace because wealthy folks have gotten the government to sell flood insurance for homes built in flood plains because the free market will not do it.

The most humorous thing to me is that while folks like former Prez Reagan seemed to want to blame "welfare queens" for the free-market not working, if you believe this is the root of the problem (there certainly are cases where welfare recipients bilk the system but these costs are small compared to the big fraud) you have to also believe that poor people are rich.

Actually the policy is pretty much the opposite.

Rather than regulate to stop building on flood plains or to enforce codes that reduce damage, we use a free-market system where well-heeled individuals use campaign contributions to carry the day in getting policies which allow folks to develop where they want to develop.

There isn't a ideological problem with this since its the worse system except for all the rest, but this is a big part of why these bad things happen.

I think that even those who fully endorse the free-market system as the approach to take here should also be willing to acknowledge that one of the impacts of a buyer-beware approach to purchasers buying a home which may be flooded out (or whose basement may crack if government allows you to build in landfilled soil in Amherst New York) is that people getting killed and their houses ruined is part of the price to be paid for use of this system.

In addition to admitting this reality of cost distribution, here also needs to be acknowledgement that government actually distorts the marketplace because wealthy folks have gotten the government to sell flood insurance for homes built in flood plains because the free market will not do it.

The most humorous thing to me is that while folks like former Prez Reagan seemed to want to blame "welfare queens" for the free-market not working, if you believe this is the root of the problem (there certainly are cases where welfare recipients bilk the system but these costs are small compared to the big fraud)  you have to also believe that poor people are rich.

423077[/snapback]

Six paragraphs of one sentence each. And all of three commas. :rolleyes:

Dr. Julie Gerberding, Center for Disease Control (CDC) director is taking advantage of the disaster?

423071[/snapback]

That should have linked to a frantic buyer during today's Wall Street action. I'll check into it. Apparently it just links to random photos.

Fixed it now.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

Our Friends - The Germans.....

Unbelievably, it's Bush's fault there was a hurricane.   :rolleyes:

423031[/snapback]

I hate to burst the germans bubble, but someone needs to inform them that we are towards the beginning of about a 30-yr cycle with an upswing in the overall # of hurricanes. Every site worth a damn has mentioned this. The past 30 yrs or so have tended to be below average.

And as much as i hate bush, i'll stand behind him on this in that its not his or the US's fault

People better watch out for Gators too.

423084[/snapback]

Yuck. I don't know anything about Louisiana -- if you'll pardon my LAMP, it's one of only three states I haven't visited -- but are there gators in Pontchartrain or only in the southern marshes, or both? Because it sounds to me like the water problem is coming from the north.

Yuck.  I don't know anything about Louisiana -- if you'll pardon my LAMP, it's one of only three states I haven't visited -- but are there gators in Pontchartrain or only in the southern marshes, or both?  Because it sounds to me like the water problem is coming from the north.

423087[/snapback]

I heard mention that along with toxic chemicals and human waste, there are going to be gators and posonous snakes and such that were invariably brought into the city with the floodwaters...just adds to the fun...

That should have linked to a frantic buyer during today's Wall Street action.  I'll check into it.  Apparently it just links to random photos.

423081[/snapback]

I know. Just thought it was funny seeing her picture when I was expecting to see looters or wall street traders. I guess I'll take any laugh I can get today. :rolleyes: